XBLA - DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue - September 22 - 1200 Points

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
deathspank_tov_keyart_sm.jpg

Everything You Need to Know About DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue

Once in a lifetime a piece of entertainment can transcend its medium and reach out to the world in new and exciting ways; making people stop, think and expand their definition of art.

Inception was great, wasn’t it?

Ahem.

Now that the palate is cleansed, let’s consider DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue, created by Ron Gilbert, the legendary mind behind Monkey Island. We like to think DeathSpank is jam-packed of what is missing in video games — story, solid gameplay, and (intentional) humor. But then again, we like to think a lot of things.

In press releases we say DeathSpank is Monkey Island meets Diablo, a hack and slash action RPG set on a massive, dangerous, world shaped like an Edison Gramaphone Cylinder. Internally we say it’s what would happen if you put those two games in a sack with a Mad Magazine joke collection and let them fight it out Thunderdome-style. We say this along with other, less printable things, of course, but the jist is there. What is this, an interrogation?

With all the hacking and the slashing, DeathSpank makes some time on the side to explore his puzzle solving hobby. It’s like, he’s a well rounded character not content with just smashing and stabbing things, he needs to think too, you know? He has feelings.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Don’t JUDGE HIM!

DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue is filled to bursting with hundreds of weapons, armor sets, witty dialog, improbable scenarios, unexpected villains, and challenging bosses. The action is easily accessible for short bursts of unsupervised fun, but the story is revealed over ten to fifteen hours of gameplay. And there’s more! DeathSpank does not fight alone but with the amazingly cool Ninja Steve Greedy (a Ninja named Steve, I know, I know! Don’t we ever stop?) letting your real-life flesh friends play alongside you in two-player local co-op as DeathSpank quests for the six Thongs of Virtue! DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue is the high quality, low priced romp for XBLA/PSN that’s less filling than the other brands, and tastes great.Created by Ron Gilbert, the legendary mind behind Monkey Island, DeathSpank is the rarest of the rare: an honestly funny, fun video game.

Gratuitous Bullet Points:

• Massive seamless world that was harder to make than anticipated!
  • SIX magical pieces of underwear!
  • TENS of food-stuffs!
  • Another HUNDRED pieces of armor (my GOD don’t we ever sleep?!)
  • Stuff happens and things and stuff (no, we don’t sleep, what time is it?)
  • A…(story)…
  • Adventure game puzzles that will make you their b***!
  • Long lists of bullet-pointed items!
  • Stuff that may or may not fail to blow up!
  • Stuff that sometimes does blow up, and when it does you won’t know why!

Trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iNxpujdHyY

The first game was really fun. I'll probably wait for this one to go on sale at some point since Dead Rising 2 should be coming out next week.

Looks like there's free DLC for week one purchasers:
Need more encouragement? Well how about FREE DLC? Get DeathSpank: TOV within the week and you’ll receive the Snowy Mountain Dungeon and the playable co-op character Tankko for nothing because that’s what free means.

Edit: http://www.deathspank.com/archives/2134

They'll release the soundtrack for free once their facebook page has 4k likes/fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Looks like there's free DLC for week one purchasers:

Edit: http://www.deathspank.com/archives/2134

They'll release the soundtrack for free once their facebook page has 4k likes/fans.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, is this DLC only free if you buy the game? I saw both of these on the marketplace this morning for free. Anyone could download them. It seems to me a person could download the DLC now and buy the game 6 months from now when the game is on sale.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first game and bought the second one this morning.

I was about to come on here and post the same thing. Since I was curious about the "exclusive free" DLC myself, I went on and was able to download both of the DLC(the Snowy Dungeon and extra co-op character) for free without purchasing the game at all. I would go ahead and do this if you have any interest in this game now before someone at EA realizes the "mistake" so if it goes on sale down the road you can really come out ahead!:)

I wish they had pushed this a bit further and actually made some gameplay improvements instead of just providing more content :/ I also get kind of an annoyed feeling at having to buy it first week just to get extra DLC for free.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Do I need to beat the 1st one to understand whats going on in the 2nd one ?[/QUOTE]
Not sure, but I do know the second one picks up immediately where the first game ends.

Sounds like either Microsoft goofed with the DLC or maybe they don't have the ability to bundle content with a game so that only those people can get the DLC. It works that way on the PS3, as buying the game there gave me the bundle with the two add-ons.

Downloaded both DLC this morning for free through the 360. It'll likely be a while before I get Thongs of Virtue, as I haven't played the first Deathspank. Hopefully it either wins this Deal of the Week Vote or Microsoft puts it on sale soon.

[quote name='8bitArtist']this game is pretty good... UNTIL IT GLITCHES AT THE VERY END AND YOU CANT FINISH THE fuckING GAME.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. My friends finished the game already for the max points without incident. I hope mine doesn't do that on me... I would be pissed!

Side note: This is pretty much the same as the first, but i loved the first, so I love this one just as much. Hilarious.

Get the first game first and see if you want more after that.

Is the level cap not 20? I hit it before even getting to the North Pole and my XP is still filling up, so I'm wondering how much further I can go.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Get the first game first and see if you want more after that.

Is the level cap not 20? I hit it before even getting to the North Pole and my XP is still filling up, so I'm wondering how much further I can go.[/QUOTE]

Level 21 is the cap this time :eek:

bread's done
Back