Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Sweet Home of the 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

• Please log in to reply
5327 replies to this topic

#2071 Chicago Mafia

Chicago Mafia

Nerd Herd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

Common is more of a hip hop artist and an indie one at that, so you may see suburban whites or hipsters that like him. I booked him in 1996 and I think he was called common sense back then or maybe it was his album name. I remember there was a lot of confusion when it came to contracts.

I get more angry when I see white wankstas blasting Yin Yang Twins or some other no talent hack. There is a movie named HAVOC that captures what I am talking about...Plus Anne Hathaway has a nude scene. :drool:

Most of the rappers today have street cred, but little to no talent. Pretty much every show is 5 $$$$as talking in a mic.

Note: I do not think Too Short has any talent, but I am still probably going to go just to see B.J. Betty performed live.

I remember when Common was called Common Sense. Seemed like he dropped the Sense part when he started to become bigger than a local rapper.

And thanks for reminding me about that movie. I was up late one night flipping channels and saw Anne Hathaway dressed up like a hoodrat and I was thinking, "what the hell is this?!" I watched for a little bit and the movie did seem interesting but then her nude scene came on...wow. I made a mental note to buy that movie on DVD (which I quickly forgot). LOL

#2072 sociopharm02

sociopharm02

The Pure Raw Uncut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

i know this is outside of Chicago a bit but if anyone is looking for a wii fit, there are a lot of them available in Dekalb. Target and Gamestop both had quite a few in stock.

#2073 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

Common is more of a hip hop artist and an indie one at that, so you may see suburban whites or hipsters that like him. I booked him in 1996 and I think he was called common sense back then or maybe it was his album name. I remember there was a lot of confusion when it came to contracts.

I get more angry when I see white wankstas blasting Yin Yang Twins or some other no talent hack. There is a movie named HAVOC that captures what I am talking about...Plus Anne Hathaway has a nude scene. :drool:

Most of the rappers today have street cred, but little to no talent. Pretty much every show is 5 $$$$as talking in a mic.

Note: I do not think Too Short has any talent, but I am still probably going to go just to see B.J. Betty performed live.

I didn't know Common was indie considering I thought he did gap commercials, is in some new movie with Keanu(sp?) Reeves, and I thought I saw him on t.v. before. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

#2074 sociopharm02

sociopharm02

The Pure Raw Uncut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

Common is about as Indie as Jay-Z. I like Common but I don't think a major artist being produced by Kanye West is really qualified to be labeled as Indie. Doesn't being signed to a major record label automatically rule you out of indie status?

#2075 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

It depends on how you view the term indie. He was popular before he was signed. Most rap acts get signed because the record company needs someone who sounds like someone else. I would consider someone who records an studio album without the assistance of a major label to be an indie artist. I would also consider an artist with a somewhat underground following as indie. It all depends on what indie is to you. Is a band that gets signed to a label and then dropped indie? Is someone who has a contract that allows them to keep their artistic integrity indie? The best example I can think of is Dark Horse Comics. I would call them an indie comic label, but someone else would say they are a major label. Their talent have artistic license, rather than dark horse forcing them into the mold. Since common has kept himself grounded and has kept his integrity, I would call him indie...But to each his own.

#2076 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

To me indie is having a cult following and not being able to buy the cds at major stores like Target or Best Buy.

#2077 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:44 PM

If anyone goes to any best buy or cc can you hook me up with stuntman $10, zelda ds $17 and grimmore for $5 as talked about in other threads.

I'll try and hit up North Riverside this week, buddy.

#2078 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:00 AM

Ya want an artist that's stayed indie? Firewater. Incidentally, they're one of my favorite bands and they're playing the Empty Bottle next Friday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewater

#2079 Chicago Mafia

Chicago Mafia

Nerd Herd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

i know this is outside of Chicago a bit but if anyone is looking for a wii fit, there are a lot of them available in Dekalb. Target and Gamestop both had quite a few in stock.

I'm looking for a Wii Fit, but that's a long drive for me. I'll keep trying the stores in the city. Thanks for the heads up.

#2080 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

Ya want an artist that's stayed indie? Firewater. Incidentally, they're one of my favorite bands and they're playing the Empty Bottle next Friday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewater

I might check them out...I haven't been to the bottle for a while. Does anyone have an extra My Bloody Valentine Ticket?

#2081 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

Festival season is rapidly approaching, so we'll have to do some mini meet-ups soon.

http://chicago.metro.../339943/content

Is the ribfest worth checking out?
gwensigol8.png

#2082 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Is the ribfest worth checking out?

Hell, yes! I'll be there again this year.

#2083 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:36 PM

Man I remember that last year. I didn't get a chance to go but I passed by it. I gotta make my way over there this year.

#2084 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:01 PM

Gale Street Inn is the best. I'm going to try and get to May Fest this Friday night, too, if anyone else wants to meet up.

#2085 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hey is gale street inn expensive?

#2086 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:39 AM

Hey is gale street inn expensive?

Nah. It's average-priced.

Hey, I checked North Riverside. They had 1 copy of Grim Grimoire (sp?), but it was $23.99.

#2087 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:11 AM

Nah. It's average-priced.

Hey, I checked North Riverside. They had 1 copy of Grim Grimoire (sp?), but it was $23.99.

Thanks for the info on gale and for checking out for gg.

#2088 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:54 AM

Hey has anyone been able to use the $10 off xbox coupon from target on xbox live points and if so what store were you able to use it on?

Would you have any extras for sale? :)

#2089 Simon D I

Simon D I

www.GamerClash.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

Speakin of Indie Hip Hop artists, check out the group I manage/Produce.

Chicago Network Connected (CNC)

www.chicagonetworkconnected.com
www.youtube.com/user/warheart9

We're playing on 16th and pulaski
and at
Betty's Blue Star Lounge on the 4th of July.

We need to represent Chicago to the fullest, folks!

Anyways, on CAG related news, has anyone found EYE OF JUDGMENT on clearance at any local target?

#2090 SeraphiMichael

SeraphiMichael

Divine Messenger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

Has anyone seen .hack GU vol 2 or 3 at any area K-Mart stores?

#2091 Hybrid5006

Hybrid5006

White Trash Ballin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

Go Cubs Go!! Go Cubs Go!!! Hey Chicago what do you say, Cubs are gonna win today!

#2092 Chicago Mafia

Chicago Mafia

Nerd Herd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:23 AM

Go Cubs Go!! Go Cubs Go!!! Hey Chicago what do you say, Cubs are gonna win today!

They just won! GO CUBS GO!

#2093 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

I'll be down there at May Fest tonight, if anyone wants to meet up for a toast of some good-ass German beer.

Pm your number.

#2094 D_Icon

D_Icon

'D'_ott_Elitist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

Any good Pawnshops here in Chicago? What PawnShops do you guys go to? I checked yellowpages.com but they seem to just offer jewelry. Any pawnshops that sell games, guitars, or skateboards?

#2095 Beast9287

Beast9287

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

I recently went to a Pawn Shop at North Avenue and 1st. They seemed to have some pretty decent deals there. Not really much of a selection of video games, but they had some rare movies and some cheap LCD television sets.

#2096 D_Icon

D_Icon

'D'_ott_Elitist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

I recently went to a Pawn Shop at North Avenue and 1st. They seemed to have some pretty decent deals there. Not really much of a selection of video games, but they had some rare movies and some cheap LCD television sets.

Im gonna have to check that out, thanks.

#2097 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:50 AM

Anyone know any good electric guitar repair shops? I wanna get back into playing guitar but my BC Rich is completely fucked up. Wires hanging everywhere, pick ups sinking in, terrible strings. Anyone know a good place to bring it into that won't charge me more than what I payed for the guitar?

#2098 phantac

phantac

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

I searched up ribfest, and i understand there is a 5 dollar donation, but is it like all you can eat ribs or what? haha thanks in advanced.

and i am also wondering about the target 10 dollar off coupons. has anyone been using them recently?

#2099 typeRJ

typeRJ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

I searched up ribfest, and i understand there is a 5 dollar donation, but is it like all you can eat ribs or what? haha thanks in advanced.

and i am also wondering about the target 10 dollar off coupons. has anyone been using them recently?

naw you still have to buy tickets to purchase food and drinks.

i was debating on using any target coupon scans until someone got caught using the $5 off $25 coupon scan. someone at the niles target on touhy (near the leaning tower YMCA) got denied. dude claimed the manager guy was rude to him and blah blah blah. after he left, i overheard he employees that multiple times he tried to use it at the electronics dept then if he got denied, he'd go over to cashier in the front. this had be going on for a week or so. finally the one manager guy got fed up and alerted one of his front lane cashiers so that he'd come out with nothing.

the thing is, they were taking the coupon. but when you use multiple coupons in one day and they see you have multiple copies. someone's gonna notice.

#2100 SEGA128DC

SEGA128DC

EA Sports suck!!!...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

Hmm, I was at the Best Buy on North Avenue a few days ago, and I noticed a 30% off rack with many games from various systems. I got All-Pro Football 2K8 ($9.99) and Dead or Alive: Xtreme 2 ($19.99), plus the discount for the Xbox 360. I really don't know if the 30% off sale is still going on?...
Rise from your grave...