Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:19 PM

Anyone get good games from CC?

#242 minqqq

minqqq

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:40 PM

Anyone get good games from CC?

i didn't even bother looking. hopefully the big sale is truly this coming weekend.

#243 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:46 PM

We'll a very wonderful friend of mine is having a video game
tournament in Chicago. Here are some details.

Events:

-DDR Max 2
-Guilty Gear/Street fighter 3: Third stike
-Marvel vs Capcom 2/Capcom vs Snk

*Each event is a $10 entry fee. So for all three events it would
cost you $30.

*First place price is $60 on each event.
*Second place price is $20 on each event.
*No third place prize.

So overall, you can win $180 if you enter and win all three events.

The date is January 22, 2005 at 3:00 p.m. (practice time)
and the tournament will begin around 4:00 p.m.

4051 N. Milwaukee
Chicago, IL 60641

Hey, who won the games? I didn't check through this thread, so maybe it was already answered. What did the first place do (song wise) to win the tournament.

#244 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:44 PM

Hey Rig, I was unable to attend the tournament (sick) so I don't know.

Anyone getting any good games/items from the sale on tru?

#245 WeaponX2099

WeaponX2099

Basement Jaxx!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:43 PM

There is nothing in matteson, IL.

#246 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:31 PM

(Got it from teamxbox)

Videogame Exhibit Debuts at Chicago Museum
Press Release
Feb. 15th, 2005 10:55 am
Game on: The History, Culture and Future of Video Games, will make its North American debut at the Museum of Science and Industry on March 4, 2005. This major exhibition explores the vibrant world of video games from 1962 to today and the effect that these games have had on our contemporary culture.

In an interactive environment full of projected sights and sounds, Game On details the game design process, including conceptual drawing, character design and sound. The exhibit also investigates how geography and culture play a role in game development by examining games in Japan, the United States and Europe. A look at developments in gaming hardware— from the colossal computers of the early 1960s to the recent consoles such as Xbox, GameCube and PlayStation 2—helps to illustrate how content and technologies work together to create amazing new products.

Along the way, children and adults alike will be enthralled by the interactive world of gaming as they have the opportunity to play more than 125 games that illustrate the exhibit content.

Game On is powered by Exelon, proud parent of ComEd, and sponsored by EB Games and Pepsi.

“The video gaming industry has had a unique influence on the world’s culture,” said David Woody, the Museum’s director of design and development. “Visitors to Game On will discover how the video game phenomenon emerged from both an artistic and technological perspective, not just in the United States, but around the globe. They will also be able to see how that phenomenon has influenced other aspects of popular culture, including movies, magazines and music.”

Game On runs through September 5, 2005. The exhibit consists of 17 “levels” or areas, each one introduced by a different member of the “Game Family”—a mother, father, sister and brother who take museumgoers through an exhibit tour. As guests move through the exhibit, they will discover the key creative people who make games happen, including graphic designers, programmers, 3-D modelers and engineers. The illustrations of Chicago artist David Lee Csisko will bring the Game Family and the exciting, pulsating world of video games to life with a flurry of color, movement and characters.

“Game On gives kids a new view of an industry that has come to the forefront of our popular culture,” said Jean Franczyk, the Museum’s vice president of Education and Guest Services. “Many children today have grown up with video games, but now they have a chance to learn about the history, science, art and technology that is behind those games.”

In Level 1: Early Games, guests will learn about the genres first games. The area features the 1962 game SpaceWar!, the first game to be developed on a computer with a vector monitor; 1972’s Pong; and rare artifacts such as original publicity materials and early merchandise.

It takes up to 40 people to build and market a successful game, and in Level 4: Making Of, guests will learn why. The game design process from concept drawing to packaged product will be examined in this area, focusing on some of the most important games of recent times including the Pokémon phenomenon and Tomb Raider. Each display will include original artwork of character sketches and environmental designs.

How does sound and music enhance the game experience? Level 9: Sound will explore early music from the 8, 16 and 32-bit eras, sound effects and composed music for games. Visitors will be able to play games that have made music their theme including Rez and Space Channel 5. Additionally, this area looks at how game developers and publishers are now showcasing new bands and artists in their game titles, and even hiring film composers to write game soundtracks. Guests will be able to listen to tracks that illustrate this music.

Level 10: Chicago Style will demonstrate Chicago’s role in the video game world, which has been significant ever since Midway Games starting publishing arcade games in the mid-1970s, including Space Invaders in 1978 and Pac-Man in 1980. Guests can play games like Incredible Technologies’ Golden Tee Live, 2005 from these native developers.

A range of emerging technology and content trends will be showcased in Level 14: Future Games, indicating the shape that gaming may take over the next decade. This section will include Japanese “communication games,” PlayStation 2 USB camera technology—a revolutionary new type of games interface from Sony— and the latest 3rd generation phone technology.

Game On was organized by Barbican Art Galleries, London in collaboration with the National Museums of Scotland. The exhibit will have an additional charge of $5 per guest. To ensure a positive experience for all ages, Game On will not feature any mature (“M” rated) game content.

The Museum of Science and Industry's mission is to inspire the inventive genius in everyone by presenting captivating and compelling experiences that are real and educational. Located at 57th Street and Lake Shore Drive, the Museum is open every day of the year except December 25. Regular Museum hours are 9:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. General admission pricing is $9 for adults, $7.50 for seniors and $5 for children ages 3-11. City of Chicago residents receive a discount on general admission; general admission is free on Mondays and Tuesdays through March 15, 2005. The Museum is supported in part through the generosity of the people of Chicago through the Chicago Park District. For more information, visit the Museum's Web site at www.msichicago.org or call (773) 684-1414 or (800) GO-TO-MSI outside of the Chicago area.

#247 WeaponX2099

WeaponX2099

Basement Jaxx!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:51 PM

I may go one Monday or Tuesday in the next two months.

#248 Darkside Hazuki

Darkside Hazuki

Inextinguishable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

Count me in.

#249 tmei03

tmei03

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:42 PM

cool, has anyone went to the exhibition? i might go on those free days.

#250 Esoul

Esoul

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:37 PM

I just got the email from EB Games.

Dear EBgames.com customer,

You are receiving this e-mail because you are one of our best customers in the Chicagoland area, and we wanted to offer you a special invitation to the grand opening of the Game On exhibition at the Museum of Science and Industry. Read on for the details and reply soon, because space is limited. You can also view and print this invitation in PDF format.

GAME ON Opening
Sunday, March 6
5:00 to 9:00 p.m.

An immersive experience for serious gamers and intrigued novices, Game On explores the 40-year history of computer gaming—from Pong to Project Gotham Racing 2—and its impact on contemporary culture. Show what you’e got as you play more than 125 video games, including ESPN Hockey, Jak & Daxter, Golden Tee LIVE and NBA Street Vol. 2.

It says that the RSVP must be sent from the same e-mail address that originally received the invitation.

The funny thing is that I don't buy too much from EBGames, I occasionally buy some rare classics from their morning updates but I'm usually miss out on the better games. Buy some games and maybe you'll get an email invite as well.

Hope to see some local CAGs there!

#251 dpac

dpac

FastFoodSnob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:13 PM

I just got the email from EB Games.
Hope to see some local CAGs there!

It would definitely be cool to go to that show. One question about the e-mail from EB, though: did it offer you a discount on the $5 exhibit admission fee (besides any general admission fee for the museum)? Just wondering what was being offered. Thanks.

#252 Esoul

Esoul

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:27 PM

Hmm.. Good question. I assume that because this is an invite and I had to RSVP, that the cost is free. You never know, they may end up charging me extra, lol. To answer your question, there is no $5 off offer or discount towards the event. It does mention that free event parking is available in the Museum's indoor garage. I know the museum admission doesn't usually include free parking.

#253 dpac

dpac

FastFoodSnob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:22 AM

Free parking? That's not too bad. Too bad I don't shop at EB's web site that much. Thanks for the reply, though.

#254 Watchman

Watchman

BC2 Medic/God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:47 PM

Free parking? That's not too bad. Too bad I don't shop at EB's web site that much. Thanks for the reply, though.

Pah, I say just take the Metra Electric to University of Chicago on the weekend (5.00 all-you-can-ride), and walk over the 3 minutes from the station. Hop, skip, jump. :wink:
"Ohh! Kitty got wet!" --Nathan Drake, Uncharted 2

#255 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

I got an RSVP and I hope to maybe meet a few of you at the show. :)

#256 flybrione

flybrione

Guitar Solo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:29 PM

I got an RSVP myself and might attend, not sure yet.

Did anyone go to the Dear Friends Concert last Saturday?

I went with a friend of mine and we had a great time. The Music sounded great and the orchestra really put on an amazing show.
The event was sold out a lot of people from out of state came to the show.

It was a one of a kind event for any Final Fantasy Fan.

#257 rocksolidaudio

rocksolidaudio

Who rocks the party

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:39 AM

man, why the shit didn't i get an RSVP? not only do i work there, but i spend like half my paycheck on the website

#258 Battousai1002

Battousai1002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

I got an RSVP myself and might attend, not sure yet.

I went with a friend of mine and we had a great time. The Music sounded great and the orchestra really put on an amazing show.
The event was sold out a lot of people from out of state came to the show.

It was a one of a kind event for any Final Fantasy Fan.

Best concert I've ever been to. I got myself a poster and downloaded the album they released of a concert in Japan in 2002. I've been listening to it nonstop. A few songs are different.
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=890946"][/URL]

#259 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:32 PM

Who is going to the GameOn show? Maybe we can all meet up and post what we are going to wear sp we can find the CAG's in the show? It would be cool to meet a few of you :).

#260 chickenhawk

chickenhawk

Like sand in the scumbag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

Who is going to the GameOn show? Maybe we can all meet up and post what we are going to wear sp we can find the CAG's in the show? It would be cool to meet a few of you :).

I'd love to go to this, but I am leaving town for 2 weeks. How long is it going to be running?
"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done." - John Ruskin :roll:
Posted Image

#261 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:57 PM

So this is opening tomorrow, eh? Anyont think it'll be a mob scene? I'm going to be off tomorrow, so I might go see it.

Chickenhawk-- it runs through September 5th.

#262 chickenhawk

chickenhawk

Like sand in the scumbag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:00 PM

So this is opening tomorrow, eh? Anyont think it'll be a mob scene? I'm going to be off tomorrow, so I might go see it.

Chickenhawk-- it runs through September 5th.

Thanks! I didn't realize it would run that long. I'm defintely going to go see it then. What are the chances my wife will want to come with? Hmmmm, she loves the Museum of S&I and kinda likes video games......I might be in luck!! :D
"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done." - John Ruskin :roll:
Posted Image

#263 dpac

dpac

FastFoodSnob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:31 PM

Even after reading the LA concert synopsis, I still had a great time when Uematsu swung into town last month. I wrote a few paragraphs about the experience on my blog here, and you can read more about the LA event last year in a prior entry linked there. (I didn't attend the LA concert; I just pointed to the report on Square-Enix's site.)

At any rate, the game exhibit at the museum sounds like fun. I read online that the place has Mondays and Tuesdays general-admission free until March 15, so if you wanna save a few bucks on the day (the exhibit and/or parking will cost you the rest), go visit in the next two weeks. That's my plan, but I'm wondering how to convince other people to attend on a weekday. If anyone wants to meet up on a particular date and time (somewhere between 10 AM and 2 or 2:30 PM), let me know.

#264 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:37 PM

Is anyone attending the show this Sunday (free attendance for RSVP)? That way we can maybe meetup!

#265 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

Is anyone attending the show this Sunday (free attendance for RSVP)? That way we can maybe meetup!

Damn. If I wasn't down here, I so would've made the drive up there to meetup. :(

#266 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:14 AM

The show was good, but not what I thought it would be. At least I got to meet Ed Boon (MK creator) and played him on Mark of wolves and beat him :D .

#267 Darkside Hazuki

Darkside Hazuki

Inextinguishable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:23 AM

Judging by this list, this looks like a serious dissapointment. I want old games I can't see anywhere else, not Burnout 3. Good greif. It's like a big ad for EBGames.

Someone convince me otherwise. Seriously. I'll go if you tell me it's worth it.

#268 GameOn

GameOn

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:31 PM

Funnily enough I haven't the faintest idea what EBgames have done for Game On, I assume that gave the museum a bag of money as they had no input to the show what so ever. In fact two of the games consoles bought for the 'Chicago' section of the show were bought from another shop and not EB...

There are old games there, maybe if you look through the list again you might see things like Space Wars, Galaga, Donkey Kong, Pong, Hitch Hikers guide to the galaxy, Pitfall, Star Wars, etc, etc. Someone asked me why do we have freeway running on the Atari 2600 in section 2 and I always reply that more people play freeway then any other Atari 2600 game I tried. As a question what sort of games would you like to see then? Still need to edit that list as it is missing a couple of games and I need to tidy it up.

However as the show is aimed at a general audience rather then then 30 year olds that complain that the show doesn't have enough old games (and why don't we have an FM Towns Marty, although I love the people that say 'Why don't you have a Neo Geo?' and then me pointing to Garou - Mark of the Wolves), we have to strike a balance, as the saying goes you can't please all the people some of the time but you can please some of the people all of the time. The most played games in the exhibition are Dance Dance Revolution and Eyetoy so you go figure. Burnout 3 is there as it is a good example of a good European game.

Still if anyone has any comments about the show (good or bad) then I would love to hear them.

Thanks

#269 dpac

dpac

FastFoodSnob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:57 PM

Judging by this list, this looks like a serious dissapointment. I want old games I can't see anywhere else, not Burnout 3. Good greif. It's like a big ad for EBGames.

Someone convince me otherwise. Seriously. I'll go if you tell me it's worth it.

I'll have to agree with GameOn (an exhibit organizer/insider?) on the selection of games on the list: old-school is right and good, but it can't dominate a show concerning the history, past and present (and future?), of videogames. Popular games (that you can find anywhere) are especially relevant due to sales and the exposure many gamers had to them, regardless of their current popularity. I actually checked the game list before GameOn's post, and I thought it seemed relatively fair, even if the Commodore 64 only seemed to have one game running on it. (With only one floppy drive, that might make sense with a single system on display.) I still have to make my way to the show, but I look forward to doing so, whether this coming week or later in the summer.

Is there a history of the travelling exhibit I can link to somewhere online? The funny thing is that I haven't tried some of the newer stuff like Burnout 3 or the EyeToy, so I'd actually benefit from going. Getting the Big Picture could be helpful for even the most experienced gamers as well. (<--A good enough reason to go?) I also believe the saying finishes with "You can't please all the people all of the time," regardless of what comes before that. Finally, where's Street Fighter II and Madden (any iteration)? Games don't get much more mainstream than that (or, at least, more mainstream than Madden).

#270 GameOn

GameOn

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:12 PM

Street Fighter 2 is there in the form of Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the Super Nintendo. Madden, well we had a choice between american football and hockey and Madden lost out (which was sad really as I wanted to show Madden on Genesis and the latest incarnation). Still the show will get updates during it's stay in Chicago so don't be surprised to see Madden in the show.