Photo
- - - - -

CAG home owner topic. Buying or selling a home? Have a maintance issue? Help is here!

• Please log in to reply
1116 replies to this topic

#1111 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Just like the Property Brothers!  Seriously though - buy a house based on where it is located.  Location is really everything.  You can change everything else except where the house sits.

Very true, in fact I'd say location is the 1st factor to consider, especially if you are looking to settle for awhile, start a family, etc. Never forget you're actually buying the property to own as well the house. School ratings, commute, community, businesses, hell even crime rates all should really be things you consider when picking where you;ll be living. You're lifestyle may determine some of those things. Like I don't have kids and travel a fair amount for work anyhow so commute and school ratings were not super important to me. Still, you have to consider you'll be selling the place you buy to others at some point (and sometimes sooner than you think).

Very few people live their lives forever in the first home they bought. So just beause you can live with something doesn't mean others will consider doing so & for most people this is the biggest investment purchase they ever make so you want to get value when you eventually sell it. As Javery just said, you could completely gut the place and rebuild it all, but you can't move or replace the actual property and you'll find out just how true that is when you have to eventually sell the place you buy.

Which is also somewhat related to the fact that you have to be abit worried about curb appeal when looking at homes. Don't neglect this because it's a giant factor in eventually selling most homes. While some things can improve that but you'd be shocked at how expensive things like good landscaping can get even if you do most of it yourself...

#1112 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Very true, in fact I'd say location is the 1st factor to consider, especially if you are looking to settle for awhile, start a family, etc. Never forget you're actually buying the property to own as well the house. School ratings, commute, community, businesses, hell even crime rates all should really be things you consider when picking where you;ll be living. You're lifestyle may determine some of those things. Like I don't have kids and travel a fair amount for work anyhow so commute and school ratings were not super important to me. Still, you have to consider you'll be selling the place you buy to others at some point (and sometimes sooner than you think).

Very few people live their lives forever in the first home they bought. So just beause you can live with something doesn't mean others will consider doing so & for most people this is the biggest investment purchase they ever make so you want to get value when you eventually sell it. As Javery just said, you could completely gut the place and rebuild it all, but you can't move or replace the actual property and you'll find out just how true that is when you have to eventually sell the place you buy.

Which is also somewhat related to the fact that you have to be abit worried about curb appeal when looking at homes. Don't neglect this because it's a giant factor in eventually selling most homes. While some things can improve that but you'd be shocked at how expensive things like good landscaping can get even if you do most of it yourself...

Spot on. Location is the only variable you cannot change.

Xecutioner
CML

#1113 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

One more variable you can not control: Home owners associations/assessments. If you have to pay them find out how much money the association has saved before you sign and make sure they are in good standing/have a balanced budget. (If you have a lawyer, they will request all of this from the assoc. if they know what they are doing)

#1114 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Remember 2009? That was cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

Ask for the history of the assessments as well, as in how frequently they've been raised in the past.  Having your HOA fee go up every year is going to piss you off.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#1115 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

One more variable you can not control: Home owners associations/assessments. If you have to pay them find out how much money the association has saved before you sign and make sure they are in good standing/have a balanced budget. (If you have a lawyer, they will request all of this from the assoc. if they know what they are doing)

And this is why you don't buy in a HOA-controlled area.  Though that is easier said than done in a lot of areas, in MA, it's thankfully not the norm to have an HOA because most places were built up like 50 years ago.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#1116 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Remember 2009? That was cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:10 AM

And this is why you don't buy in a HOA-controlled area.  Though that is easier said than done in a lot of areas, in MA, it's thankfully not the norm to have an HOA because most places were built up like 50 years ago.

I live in an HOA and it's expensive but I don't have to do any yard work or shovel snow.  We also have a pool and I just got my roof replaced last year for free since it falls under the purview of the HOA.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#1117 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 PM

Yea, there are pros and cons to HOAs. Just depends how well they are run, who actually runs it, etc.