CAGcast #214: Street Values

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 NegativeZero

NegativeZero

CAGtastic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hey Wombat if you ever need a fellow CAG to attend some gaming events in NYC and to do some rickshaw riding give me a holler.

http://zerofigures.wordpress.com

"He should have those magic b!tches all over his jock" - CheapyD, CagCast #168

#32 rogXue

rogXue

Bringer of Death

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

best part of this cast was Wombat's hiccuping. I couldn't help but laugh my ass off when that started!

#33 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

RE: the history of "Money Hats"

If I'm not mistaken, this was the first appearance of the "Money Hat"

Believe it or not, a lot of "industry standard" terms have come from Penny Arcade. Ever notice that people always refer to Sonic's costars as Sonic's "stupid shitty" friends? That started here. Not saying that PA coined the terms "stupid" and "shitty" being used in the same sentence, but that comic sealed their fates to be forever tied to Tails and Knuckles.

Retronauts did a great live show (episode 76 of the podcast) about the impact of Penny-Arcade on game history and games journalism in general. It's a great listen, but it loses something without being able to see the slides. You can find that here.

The more you know!

#34 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

The guy singing in the Activision Decathalon commercial at the end of the podcast sounded just like Cheapy.

#35 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

hmm no retards posting complaints yet

another entertaining show

oh and wombat should try out BFBC2

#36 kiyomasa

kiyomasa

ポケモン

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

@wombat
love your comment on the hawaiian alphabet. Pineapples... lol

@CheapyD
Anna Millers.... breakfast all day =]

#37 bombatomba

bombatomba

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

My Walmart still has a copy of Sky Odyssey marked at $29.99. Thank God I live in the commerce kingdom that is Southeast Michigan, else there would be no bargain shopping.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/bombatomba]Posted Image
[/URL]

#38 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:28 PM

It's easy when I keep talking about how I want a 3DS without trying it and they look at me like I'm crazy. .

What? are you saying you know your own children better than some random dude on the internet?

I agree with what you are saying. My kids are the same (although a bit younger). I think the touch interface really appeals to kids who don't have a bias toward buttons. Plus I know many parents who have handed own their own iPods to their kids when they upgraded. Personally, I am really excited for the 3DS but I think Nintendo could really be losing a lot of kids especially with that price point.

as for what makes Target better- for starters there is no website called peopleofTarget.com

#39 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

I'm surprised by the 3DS negativity. If it launches at $249 in the US, I'd say it's a great deal just for the improved graphics alone. And the glassless 3D is icing on the cake. I think a lot of people are looking at the 3DS as if it was just a DS with 3D functionality and forgetting about the massive upgrade in graphics capability.

#40 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

I'm not sure if CheapyD's iPod Touch vs. 3DS comparison works, in that most games on the iPod aren't all that appealing. While I have bought many cheap games on the iPhone, the controls do not feel all that comfortable for certain types of games. I don't think Nintendo would sell the 3DS for $300 in America because it would put off casual consumers, but I will say that I've seen some young kids with PSPs.

That being said, a 3DS for $250 seems kinda reasonable, considering a current generation iPod Touch goes for over $200, and the power of the 3DS seems greater than the PSP. Who knows? Maybe Nintendo will include a pack-in game or tech demo with the system.

#41 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

Just started listening and had to weigh in on the "12-year old $300 toy" discussion. As the father of nearly 12-year old twin boys, I can say with absolute certainty that they would prefer the iPod touch over the 3DS. They each own a DS lite and an iPod nano. Based on what they know of the 3DS and their experience playing with an iPod touch, they can't stop talking about apps, free games, tunes, etc. They are even trying to save money to buy their own.

Yeah, I think that what Wombat wants to play for $30 isn't the same as what Kid A wants to play. In fact, the free apps sell the hardware. Kids don't need a deep and rewarding DQ game. They may find one when they spend an iTunes gift card, or they may play some crummy free apps for free.

Personally I'll pay for quality (as Wombat), but if you consider the children's market, that's not necessarily a factor. And the DS and most systems have shovelware, except at a higher price point.

That 3DS discussion went on too long, but the points are reasonable. Cheapy's skeptical approach is, "it's a gimmick until proven otherwise." Time has proven this. However, Nintendo really does have a solid track record for their franchises, which are probably enough to sell the system.

Let's also consider that many companies overprice new tech initially for the early adopters and then lower the price after 1-4 quarters. Apple has taken this approach, and I would expect to see it with the 3DS and Kinect. Kinect may be a $100 item but pricing it at $150 gives it more perceived value in the beginning, which may be part of their marketing scheme.

I hope all of these new techs work well, because if they do, we all win.
Posted Image

#42 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:59 AM

Mr. Owls remedy for hiccups:
Take and hold in a deep breath, then take several large swallows from a glass of water. Hasn't failed me once.

I too REALLY hate artificial time limits and enjoy exploring on my own time. Other than that this game seems tailor made for me. Its a shame they had to ruin it by not including an unlockable free mode once the main game is completed. That's enough of a sticking point for me that I'll probably never pick it up.

Guardian_owl.png

#43 bombatomba

bombatomba

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:18 AM

iTouch: Crappy games system with some cool apps. Has a great looking screen, excellent movie capabilities, and so-so sound quality. Has the backing of countless Apple Cult members (who would buy Apple-branded dogshit if told to).
Final Verdict: A lot of money for something that will break in a few months.

3DS: Largely unknown, but pedigree is great games system with tons of crappy games and crappy apps. Has two small screens, touch capability, and glassless 3D (very cool). Outside of the 3D, nothing else stands out from the previous iteration of DS. Backed up by a bunch of rabid goofs who will buy whatever Reggie tells them to.
Final Verdict: You can watch movies on it, but only if Nintendo says it's okay first.

If you really look at them, it's easy to see the comparison. Bottom line, we only know the Japanese price for the 3DS, though you can bet it isn't that much different. While there is a bunch of new crap for the 3DS (over the DSi and the XL), the only thing that matters is that 3D screen. So the question is, how much are you willing to pay for that feature?
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/bombatomba]Posted Image
[/URL]

#44 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:22 AM

New CAG woooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#45 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:44 AM

I know how I am and I'll be buying the 3DS day one, regardless of what launch titles/price is, I'm just that big of a sucker for Nintendo handhelds.

The price is ridiculous, but looking back the PSP was $250 (which is what I expect the 3DS to be here at launch), and I paid that much for that system. March is perfect for me since I'll have tax refund money (but will have also just spent a ton of money at PAX East, so we'll see how that goes). As of now the system sounds like a bunch of ports, but I'm just hoping game prices sit at the $30 range, but I'm sure they'll be PSPing it as well and get bumped to at least $40, which sucks big time.

And am I the only one who thinks the black on blue looks stupid? Why not just make a full blue system?

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#46 polly

polly

Karma Policeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

I completely agree that Wombat needs to chill with the dumb Twitter topics.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

#47 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:14 AM

It's easy when I keep talking about how I want a 3DS without trying it and they look at me like I'm crazy. They want all the features of the iPod touch that Cheapy mentioned (the HD video, better camera, free games, etc.) My kids could give a rip about the 3DS at this time. So, I am ABSOLUTELY certain they want the iPod over the 3DS. But, I was ABSOLUTELY certain that I wanted the 3DS until the price came out. Unless I can trade in my DSi and get a decent credit for it, I will wait for the inevitable price drop on the 3DS.

I'm absolutely certain you're not defining absolutely certain the same way I do.

#48 AleetPanda

AleetPanda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

I was pissed about GOG.com "closing" but it seems most other people don't care. My friends didn't give a shit.

#49 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

The guy singing in the Activision Decathalon commercial at the end of the podcast sounded just like Cheapy.

I thought the same thing!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 nateeasy29

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

Ohio is the best state in the union.

#51 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

At first I thought it was Cheapy's new karaoke song of choice.

#52 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'm absolutely certain you're not defining absolutely certain the same way I do.

Absolutely = guaranteed = 100%

#53 H4Y4TO

H4Y4TO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

one of the best shows!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Cheapy, even if you don't plan on playing the 3DS, just remember this: 3D camera = 3D penis. Killer app.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#55 Ltrain23

Ltrain23

Luigi Death Stare

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

I agree with Wombat in that I would rather have analog sticks to play games than having a touch screen be my only option. I have too many games on my iPod Touch that were great too start with, only to become frustrated by the touch recognition. However, Cheapy is right when it comes to the cost dynamic. I don't have a lot of time to play handhelds anymore (the kids want them the second I take them out), so the couple bucks I spend on a Touch game is way more worth it than the $30 investment that I might not get to play for months anyway.

#56 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Great show as usual.

Glad Ship and Wombat went to bat for the 3DS. Although I see the overall convenience of the iphone and own an ipod touch myself I just can't recommend it as a gaming platform. I noticed a lot of people got excited over the Rage and Unreal demos being shown on the iphone but all I can think is how will they control? There are some good games for the iphone that were built for the platform but I think having an analog stick, a d-pad, and buttons trumps me not wanting to carry another device. $300 is high but like everything else it will drop. I know we expect more from our devices these days camera, video, etc. but it holds little weight from a pure gaming perspective.

#57 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

Re: Dead rising Co-op

host keeps story progress
but both players get to keep the following

experience
money
combo cards.

#58 Phelmo

Phelmo

Phelmo 2 Strong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that the iPod touch / iPhone should be given more respect as a gaming system. I agree with many of you that sometimes the controls can be awkward, but they can also be innovative and fun; plus nobody can argue with the value for money on some of the games.

#59 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

I would much rather have a 3DS over an iPod Touch. I'm much more interested in Zelda, Mega Man Legends 3 and Kid Icarus than I am in anything I've ever seen on the iPod Touch. $250 is a bit steep, but that's also what the PSP cost at launch.

I'll probably pick it up whenever Mega Man Legends 3 is released, but right now my PSP is good enough and all of the games are super cheap.
Posted Image

#60 Tengaport

Tengaport

Cover your heart Indy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

Wait,you guys talk about the DS on this episode!? I think the last time you guys seriously talked about playing any DS games was like 10 episodes ago! Can't wait to listen!

Yeah, they talk about the DS - but I'm not so sure about the 'seriously' part.