50% off select games GOG.com ENDS MONDAY | Arcanum $2.99, Psychonauts $4.99, + more

ParkCarsHere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/community_favourites

October 1 - October 4

$2.99

$4.99

All of these games have 4.5/5 or higher community rankings, so I'd assume some of them are good. The only one I've played is Psychonauts and I think it's an amazing game for that price.

Selection of GOG.com community favourites 50% off

This weekend we thought we'll have something special for all you "good ol' deals hunters" and we came up with a pack you just can't miss. We're offering you a selection of 10 games which are very popular with the GOG community and found their place in the top levels of the bestselling GOG titles. So how about getting Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon or Syberia, among others, with a 50% discount? Yes, we also think it's not so bad ;). Check the full list of titles and don't hesitate, the promotion lasts until Monday, October 4, so there ain't much time left ! This is not a bundle offer, so you get the discount if you buy one or more games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the bad link. The referral link that CAG puts in keeps messing it up, I think. Or I just don't know what I'm doing.

That's probably it.

Best deal here is for the Incredible Machine Mega Pack. I already purchased that from GOG the day it went live though, and have everything else here I want. Anyone who doesn't have the Incredible Machine Pack needs to buy it NOW!

Edit: Also just realized I have been a member of GOG for 744 days now. Yikes, time is flying by!

Thanks, OP! I took the liberty of making a list of direct links to GOG.com based on your list above.

Good call on mentioning the 4.5/5 ratings, too, OP. I haven't played all the games below, but I can easily recommend The Longest Journey and Psychonauts. TLJ is a wonderful traditional adventure game. It's a mix of so many wonderful themes that it's hard for me to describe without spoiling anything. Psychonauts is really weird in that Tim Schafer kind of way (so, a good thing). Fun platforming and great writing!

$2.99

$4.99

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Thanks, OP! I took the liberty of making a list of direct links to GOG.com based on your list above.

Good call on mentioning the 4.5/5 ratings, too, OP. I haven't played all the games below, but I can easily recommend The Longest Journey and Psychonauts. TLJ is a wonderful traditional adventure game. It's a mix of so many wonderful themes that it's hard for me to describe without spoiling anything. Psychonauts is really weird in that Tim Schafer kind of way (so, a good thing). Fun platforming and great writing!

$2.99

$4.99
[/QUOTE]

Thanks.... but your links don't work for me either! I think it's CAG's embedded referrals that are messing with GOG's site.

If someone can get it working I will put these in the OP.

EDIT: Links have been fixed so I'm putting them in the OP. Thanks.

NOBODY buy Interstate 76... it is shameful GOG is putting this up for sale.

The game is a broken steaming pile of shit. It takes one (sometimes multiple, if you're unlucky) outside programs to get working, and if you're lucky you will only end up with one problem.

Problems include: Woobly Wheels on cars, rainbow effect on the graphics, broken AI (to the point where friendly AI is broken and certain missions can't be finished) among other things.

Check the GOG forums on this game for how bad it is. The only way I ever got this to run was by slowing down my CPU with CPU Grabber and even then, it barely ran.

GOG themselves never did anything to support the game after launch, and the people I know that all sent in complaints and requests for help got ignored.

You've been warned: do not buy. Interstate 76 was a favorite of mine, I bought this the minute GOG put it out, and man did I get burned.

[quote name='animalspinners']NOBODY buy Interstate 76... it is shameful GOG is putting this up for sale.

The game is a broken steaming pile of shit. It takes one (sometimes multiple, if you're unlucky) outside programs to get working, and if you're lucky you will only end up with one problem.

Problems include: Woobly Wheels on cars, rainbow effect on the graphics, broken AI (to the point where friendly AI is broken and certain missions can't be finished) among other things.

Check the GOG forums on this game for how bad it is. The only way I ever got this to run was by slowing down my CPU with CPU Grabber and even then, it barely ran.

GOG themselves never did anything to support the game after launch, and the people I know that all sent in complaints and requests for help got ignored.

You've been warned: do not buy. Interstate 76 was a favorite of mine, I bought this the minute GOG put it out, and man did I get burned.[/QUOTE]

WTF? i love that game. the graphics/gameplay is not great but the soundtrack is awesome and i love blowing up other cars. i will definetely get duke nukem. i love pc games from 90's cause i can run them on my laptop.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']WTF? i love that game. the graphics/gameplay is not great but the soundtrack is awesome and i love blowing up other cars. i will definetely get duke nukem. i love pc games from 90's cause i can run them on my laptop.[/QUOTE]

I love Interstate 76 too, but GOG did not do anything to ensure compatibility on newer computers.

The game *will* end up running, but it takes a lot of outside programs and tweaks to get it to do so.

It's not a dig against the game, but the game was put up for sale broken and still is broken.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/interstate_76_arsenal/#1285939024

All the problems (plus fixes) if anyone does want to give it a shot plus read about it themselves. I wouldn't, personally.

Nice deal on Arcanum. That's an OK price for you to dabble with the game and find out if you consider it to be a broken turd or not. Others might reap tons of gameplay out of it.

Arcanum was the last big cardboard box PC game I bought, many years ago - and it was a BIG box, too! (GOG.com says the manual is 190 pages, and I think maybe they've made it shorter than the original!)

I decided against rebuying it today for many, many reasons. Then I bought it anyway. :p
[quote name='thetruelokre']never used gog, but i bit on duke and arcanum...saw betrayal at krondor on that site, i may be back to fill my library come payday[/QUOTE]
Don't you mean you bet on Duke? ;)

Arcanum is one of the better RPGs out there, and for $3 I can't see a reason not to buy a digital copy both for convenience and to help support GOG. I think I'm also gonna grab a copy of Duke 3D as well as it's been a long time since I played that. I also want to grab Under A Killing Moon, but they'll have the whole Tex Murphy series on sale again at some point so I'll just wait and buy that pack then. ;)

[quote name='PenguinJim']Arcanum was the last big cardboard box PC game I bought, many years ago - and it was a BIG box, too! (GOG.com says the manual is 190 pages, and I think maybe they've made it shorter than the original!)

I decided against rebuying it today for many, many reasons. Then I bought it anyway. :p

Don't you mean you bet on Duke? ;)[/QUOTE]

I miss those huge manuals. Baldur's Gate 2 had a huge, 200-something-page spiral bound manual. It was epic.

My friends and I bought Arcanum and are having a hard time getting into it. We loaded it up on LAN and cant seem to make a party... Anyone know how? :(

Was only interested in Arcanum at first but ended up grabbing Syberia and Under a Killing Moon as well. Still, I used to feel really good about myself supporting GOG.com before but now I have bad taste in my mouth buying games there after the marketing stunt they pulled.

Ok so forgive me but I'm overseas and have a slow connection, so search is slow: I thought that GOG shut down... Can someone give me the quick rundown on what happened?

Jeez, you go away for a week, and a lot can happen.

[quote name='zsciaeount']Ok so forgive me but I'm overseas and have a slow connection, so search is slow: I thought that GOG shut down... Can someone give me the quick rundown on what happened?

Jeez, you go away for a week, and a lot can happen.[/QUOTE]

super short version: it was a marketing stunt.

[quote name='Justin42']super short version: it was a marketing stunt.[/QUOTE]

Gotta say, I really like GOG, but that's kind of a dick move.

In for arcanum, I missed it back in its day. For 3 bucks even if it stinks Im not out much.

[quote name='thetruelokre']never used gog, but i bit on duke and arcanum...saw betrayal at krondor on that site, i may be back to fill my library come payday[/QUOTE]

Its a great site. I love how they do digital because you can download the games .exe and back it up to whatever you like, install it on any pc you want with no problems or drm shit. And all the games are pre configured with dosbox to "just work" in newer operating systems.

I grabbed the baldurs gate, planescape torment, phantasmagoria, waxworks and personal nightmare last week and now this hehe.

[quote name='zsciaeount']Gotta say, I really like GOG, but that's kind of a dick move.[/QUOTE]

Well the guys that run it are foriegners. I dont think they intended it to be a dick move or a publicity stunt judging from some things I read they said after they did it. I think they meant something else but it came across differently to us than they were expecting. At any rate they apologized for it and havent mentioned it since so who cares really. Its still a great site and the only form of digital distribution I will support and reccomend.

When I read interviews with them it sounded more like they were trying to surprise people by pulling it offline to add in the new format and design of the site, add in baldurs gate/planescape and then open back up as a surprise to everyone. Dont think they intended anything more than that.

Shoot, all the digital download deals are starting to add up. Decided to get the Longest Journey and Arcanum. Still contemplating Syberia and Psychonauts though.

Bought Arcanum, since it's $3, and I played the Fallout games two or three years ago and they were still super fun, so if Arcanum is anywhere near as good, I should get some play out of it. Now to find the time to do so!

You can get patches/mods for Arcanum here:
http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/section/arcanum

Haven't tried any out, but there does seem to be a well functioning high-resolution patch.

Went for Arcanum, Syberia, and the Longest Journey. Arcanum I can't seem to get the unofficial patch to work, guessing it has a different exe or something.

[quote name='cheapo72']Are you following the manual's instructions? If so, check the next-to-last post in this thread.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura/multiplayer_parties/[/QUOTE]

Wow thats dumb, haha. Thanks for that link! Now we seem to have a problem with dying... Apparently you can set a server to have you respawn after 10 seconds or something? Anyone know what to do once you die in multiplayer? :p Thanks! That seems to be our last obstacle to overcome before actually being able to enjoy the game.

Guys.. the extras are worth the price of admission by themselves! For example, with Torment. you get a PDF book (almost 500 pages!) , artwork, and character cards AND the soundtrack! This is BEYOND a good deal!

[quote name='palejackal']So wait, has anyone had fun playing Arcanum online (not via LAN?) Or is Arcanum really meant to be a single player game?[/QUOTE]
It's been a long time since I owned it, but I don't remember anything about the multiplayer. Everyone just played it as a normal single player RPG...

[quote name='TheMedic00']How does the GOG version of Jagged Alliance 2 run on modern computers (Win 7 64-bit specifically)?[/QUOTE]
I have it on Steam, and it works fine on my Win 7-64 laptop. I would take that as a sign that the GOG version runs fine, too. :) But you can always check the GOG forums for specific issues, they used to be quite good. (It seems that the recent market stunt made a lot of the decent community leave, sadly, and there's currently a dickhead surplus, but there should still be some old threads.)

[quote name='PenguinJim']I have it on Steam, and it works fine on my Win 7-64 laptop. I would take that as a sign that the GOG version runs fine, too. :) But you can always check the GOG forums for specific issues, they used to be quite good. (It seems that the recent market stunt made a lot of the decent community leave, sadly, and there's currently a dickhead surplus, but there should still be some old threads.)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheMedic00']How does the GOG version of Jagged Alliance 2 run on modern computers (Win 7 64-bit specifically)?[/QUOTE]

It works just fine. Just make sure to run as administrator or you won't be able to save.

I grabbed up Arcanum. I may get Duke, Psychonauts, and Syberia before the sale is over.

[quote name='animalspinners']Is the website currently not loading for anyone else?[/QUOTE]

I just checked and it failed to load.

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']I just checked and it failed to load.[/QUOTE]

Good to see the sale fails to load in the last hour. New and improved website, huh?

Thanks for checking, though.

bread's done
Back