Call of Duty: Black Ops - Gen. Discussion & Info - OUT NOW

raistlin

CAGiversary!
1tliqr.jpg

Just about everyone on my friends list that plays BC2 on the PS3 has already pre-ordered this game including me. In fact, it seems it's already out pacing MW2 in pre-order sales according to some sources. From the graphics, to the game modes, to customisation...everything just seems really killer about it.

Anyway, I'm interested in reading your thoughts on this title. Is there anything that you personally hope they implement? Or hope they don't drag over from other games? If you haven't seen this video covering customisation, it's worth a watch. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/multiplayer-customization-call-of/705528

What we know so far:

There is a full featured theatre mode built in to the game. This allows you to record demos, edit them and upload them to presumably Treyarch's website. It's still unknown as to whether this feature will be available on consoles.

Something new to the franchise will be multiplayer online split-screen support. You can connect a second controller and bring a guest online. Guests can rank up, earn unlocks, etc – all guest progress goes away once signed out.

The highest level is 50 and prestige mode will indeed return. There will be 15 levels of prestige.

Game types

Multiplayer Maps

Money (CoD Points) is earned through experience to purchase:

Custom Soldiers (face paint, clothes etc)
Custom Red Dot Reticles (smiley faces, different colors/shapes)
Custom Clan Logos which can be placed on weapons in two places
Over 40 weapons are going to be available at launch.
Cameras (can be placed anywhere to spy)

-Killstreaks

Contracts can also be purchased, they instruct you to complete an objective. Completion of a contract will yield higher CoD point
payout than what was originally paid for the contract itself.

Wager matches: (allow you to bet your in-game currency, possibly bankrupting the other players)

- One in the chamber each player is given a pistol with one bullet and a knife. For each kill achieved the player will receive one more bullet. However, each player will only have three lives.

- Sharpshooter each player is given the same random weapon. The weapon will be used for 45 seconds before being switched out for another one. Kills will award the player with perks and score multipliers.

- Stick & Stones each player receives only a crossbow, ballistic knife, and a Tomahawk. The catch in this gamemode is that if the player was able to hit an enemy with a Tomahawk, the enemy player will go "bankrupted".

- Gun Game players start out with a pistol.. for each kill they move up a level, granting them a better gun. First person to achieve kills with all 20 weapons wins. However, someone who is knifed will move down a level.

- Double Down will enable you to bet twice the amount before a match

Extremely customisable private matches:

Treyarch has developed a unique custom games editor for private matches. Players will have the ability to structure their games at all new levels of granularity. From variables as simple as Time Limit and Score Limit, or as deep as which weapons, Perks, and gear are available. You want a Pistols Only match? Make one! No longer do custom game modes rely on the “honor system.” Furthermore, any Custom Game you create and configure can be placed in your File Share, for friends and the community to browse, download, and enjoy.

Integrated Social Network:

An in-game friends list will be available at launch. You’ll be able to browse Recent Players, Friends, navigate their File Shares, Recent Games, Combat Records – all within this in-game menu system designed to streamline the social process within the game. This will make sending game invites and joining Friends’ games easier than ever.

Black Ops will support joining games in progress via the friends List interface, it will allow a Party leader to lock down his lobby to Invite Only, Friends Only, or even Close it altogether if he wants to be in complete control over who enters and exits the Party Lobby.

Matchmaking that makes sense:

There will be support for regional filters globally. So you can specify whether you want to match with players from other geographical regions, or only those local to you. This will make communication and lag a much less intrusive variable on your gameplay experience.

Dedicated Servers (Probably PC only):

Black Ops is going to have a dedicated server option, albeit through an exclusive deal with GameServers.com. They will have complete exclusivity rights for renting out the game's dedicated servers. 18-player ranked servers will cost $14.95 per month, while the unranked will set you back $0.99 a month per player with a maximum of 24 players. Treyarch is relying on P2P of course for consoles.

Quick Sniping

Sleight of Hand Pro (Faster ADS) does not work on sniper class weapons. Which is suppose to prevent quick sniping that some of the community complained about.

Perks

Hacker pro - This is one of the most interesting additions to the whole Black Ops perks list. Hacker Pro actually allows you to sabotage enemy Care Packages and also turn enemy equipment friendly. This also makes you invisible to Motion Sensors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall I heard that this will completely blow away MW2, Treyarch are doing their best to implement a solid banning system for anyone who manipulates the network. This is what Ive read so far, who knows how the final product will be.

[quote name='eau']I've been playing BFBC2 and I have preordered BO. Can't wait.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel, the anticipation for this game is kinda killing me. :lol: I was hoping there was going to be a beta for the ps3 so some of us might have been able to get an early taste of it. Unfortunately it seems they kept that under wraps.

On a side note, here are some wallpapers you guys might like for your PC/PS3 just click the link:
http://www.zooomr.com/photos/alinon/view-blog/

Example:
bhc9s1.jpg

With the game a few weeks away from release, has anyone heard of any deals for Black Ops (online or in-store) on either system?

(Apologies if this was the wrong place to post this, but I haven't seen a thread addressing this.)

[quote name='CaliSmokeDogg']With the game a few weeks away from release, has anyone heard of any deals for Black Ops (online or in-store) on either system?

(Apologies if this was the wrong place to post this, but I haven't seen a thread addressing this.)[/QUOTE]

Best deal I've seen online is with Amazon, $20 off your next game purchase.

What's the pros and cons of getting this on PS3 vs. PC? I have a hefty gaming rig, but I only recently got into PC gaming, so not really up on making the choice between that vs. PS3 for any game in general.

[quote name='madcatz1999']What's the pros and cons of getting this on PS3 vs. PC? I have a hefty gaming rig, but I only recently got into PC gaming, so not really up on making the choice between that vs. PS3 for any game in general.[/QUOTE]

It's just a personal preference thing. Which ever control scheme fits your play style better will be your best bet. Personally I feel like playing on the PS3 puts everyone on a level playing field, outside of changing the stick sensitivity. Where as playing on the PC there's a chance someone may have a better rig then you, and may get higher frames per second giving them the advantage. But I'm also biased, I recently gave up the PC in favor of consoles.

I can't really speak for the multiplayer, but I do hope the single player is good. I've always been a bit leery of Treyarch's COD games... it's a very Iron Man 2 kinda story, trying to replicate the success of the Infinity Ward games with Bobby Kotick playing Sam Rockwell's character looming over and yelling "do what these guys did!" And then we end up playing a WWII game with electric guitars wailing in the background. It does look really exciting though, so hopefully it will be good.

Best deal I've seen online is with Amazon, $20 off your next game purchase.
They pulled that deal a few weeks back, now they're just offering an art cell.

Best deal would be Kmart with a $25 coupon on next purchase.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Medal of Honor? I see they have a confirmed offer for Black OPs, but there was no mention of the exact deal, at least on the front page.

I missed out on the $20 credit so I'll be passing for now. Disappointing after all the good things I've read about it this past week.

I made this post once, had a HUGE list of everything and anything. Weapons, known missions, maps, features, descriptions, etc. and when I pressed "Post" I was logged out and lost the entire thing. :lol:

In any case, I'm hyped for this one. I think it will surpass MW2 by far.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit'] and when I pressed "Post" I was logged out and lost the entire thing. :lol:

In any case, I'm hyped for this one. I think it will surpass MW2 by far.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I had that happen to me as well. Although I just hit the back button on the browser a couple of times and it all came back. With other forums though that won't work, so I got in the habit of highlighting everything and hitting ctrl-c before I hit submit. =)

[quote name='Jmclark']I got a $25 best buy GC for my birthday, so I'll probably be preordering it there soon.[/QUOTE]
Just a little warning, since you hacked yourself above Kefka on the MW2 leaderboards, I'm sure he'll be on the look out for you. Provided he ever gets over WoW.

[quote name='Mad39er']Just a little warning, since you hacked yourself above Kefka on the MW2 leaderboards, I'm sure he'll be on the look out for you. Provided he ever gets over WoW.[/QUOTE]

Oh sh-

Regardless of how fun this game ends up being; I like the changes, addition of game modes, and customization so I'll definitely be grinding on it for awhile.

I had a broken hand for awhile and this will be the first game I'll be able to enjoy without being really hindered.

If the devs can just make sure that people can't run through Bullets, then I'll be happy. That's why I really don't like the commando perk.. cause I believe that's the perk that lets people time shift through bullets (along with lightweight). I think that your loadout should dictate how fast you can run.

[quote name='Thomas96']If the devs can just make sure that people can't run through Bullets, then I'll be happy. That's why I really don't like the commando perk.. cause I believe that's the perk that lets people time shift through bullets (along with lightweight). I think that your loadout should dictate how fast you can run.[/QUOTE]
It may be a perk of having a stupid fast connection but I've been able to sidestep a crap ton of people using Commando. It's great to see them fly by me with their knife all Psycho style out and wiffing in mid air. It's definitely something I'll miss since you know it pisses them off and makes them scream "haxor!"

Missed the Amazon credit. But everything I see is looking really good... so I may do a K-Mart deal if they do a $20 credit (which I am sure they will).

Honestly, I only want this game for the nazi zombies. I googled and there are conflicting information regarding this. Can anyone provide a good source that there will be a zombie mode? Also read somewhere that the COD 5's 4 zombie maps will be playable with black ops? Any zombie related info is greatly appreciated.

[quote name='Mad39er']Zombie maps will be included with the Hardened and Prestige edition of Black Ops.[/QUOTE]

only for those two or is it gonna be if i buy the standard edition i need to shell out more money to pick up the zombie packs?

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Honestly, I only want this game for the nazi zombies. I googled and there are conflicting information regarding this. Can anyone provide a good source that there will be a zombie mode? Also read somewhere that the COD 5's 4 zombie maps will be playable with black ops? Any zombie related info is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

there are zombie trophies in the game. they cant with hold the platinum because you didnt buy the collectors edition or because you didnt buy extra dlc. now, you will prob only get 1 map, but you still get something.

debating between the hardened and the reg. addition. seems the main difference is the 4 extra zombie maps. Does anyone know: were they selling the WaW zombie maps $10/2maps? is it worth the extra $20 for the 4 maps?

This game looks pretty cool but after playing mw2 i don't think i will ever buy something that those guys ever made again let alone a clone that somebody else is making. Treyarch is good from what i have played of there games on ps2 but i thinks mw2 was so terrible that i don't think i can withstand another call of duty. I'll wait on killzone 3 and maybe resistance 3. If i wanna play a 1st person game ill stick with an original one.

[quote name='langdon_alger']debating between the hardened and the reg. addition. seems the main difference is the 4 extra zombie maps. Does anyone know: were they selling the WaW zombie maps $10/2maps? is it worth the extra $20 for the 4 maps?[/QUOTE]

I bought the maps as soon as they released them for WAW and I recall them being expensive. I think like $10 a map but I think it may have been a few dollars less (these map packs included some multiplayer maps with the zombie ones). I remember seeing a sale for all 4 of them for like 15-20 at one time though.
If you like zombies and FPS, you must play it. I played this game like crazy for the longest time.

So far I've got $65 in Kmart coupons saved up for the Hardened Edition. I'm damn near tempted to take off 11/9 just to secure my copy.

[quote name='Mr. 420']This game looks pretty cool but after playing mw2 i don't think i will ever buy something that those guys ever made again let alone a clone that somebody else is making. Treyarch is good from what i have played of there games on ps2 but i thinks mw2 was so terrible that i don't think i can withstand another call of duty. I'll wait on killzone 3 and maybe resistance 3. If i wanna play a 1st person game ill stick with an original one.[/QUOTE]

Why do you have to troll the forums on MW games? I also find it hilarious that you state you will wait for an original one and also state waiting for either killzone 3 or resistance 3.

Maybe you should read up on Black Ops or wait for it to come out before throwing out words that have no backing. The MP looks to be completely different than MW2.

Please try to take your blinders off and at least be objective. If you don't like the game, just state it and move on or don't post at all.....sheeesh. You don't see me trashing KZ2 or Resistance 2 although neither one met my expectations.

[quote name='Mad39er']So far I've got $65 in Kmart coupons saved up for the Hardened Edition. I'm damn near tempted to take off 11/9 just to secure my copy.[/QUOTE]

really Mad a day off, but then again i might skip out on my second class lol

I loved MW2 and am a little worried about this game. I have it pre-ordered and am hoping for the best!! It would be nice if they did a better job cleaning up the leaderboards as MW2 on PS3's is just a joke.

I work for GameStop, and I've been posting about our Surprize Attack sweepstakes in another thread on here, but since a PS3 exclusive prize unlocked and is available TODAY ONLY I thought I'd drop in here, too.

For TODAY (10/25) ONLY, you can win a PS3 MadCatz Prize Pack including 2 custom wireless controllers and a Tritton gaming wireless headset.

Of course, since I work for GameStop, I'm happy to answer any q's you may have.

BTW - Just between you, me, and the rest of the CAGs, there'll be another PS3 exclusive prize unlocking by the end of the month. I'll let you know when it does.

[quote name='jmbreci']Why do you have to troll the forums on MW games? I also find it hilarious that you state you will wait for an original one and also state waiting for either killzone 3 or resistance 3.

Maybe you should read up on Black Ops or wait for it to come out before throwing out words that have no backing. The MP looks to be completely different than MW2.

Please try to take your blinders off and at least be objective. If you don't like the game, just state it and move on or don't post at all.....sheeesh. You don't see me trashing KZ2 or Resistance 2 although neither one met my expectations.[/QUOTE]

Do you really believe it's going to be that much different? Same graphics, same gameplay, some added stuff and perks... MW2 is fun but not that great..

So how long you guys think it will take for hackers to come and ruin your Black Ops MP fun? I say.. two weeks

[quote name='Bazylik']Do you really believe it's going to be that much different? Same graphics, same gameplay, some added stuff and perks... MW2 is fun but not that great..

So how long you guys think it will take for hackers to come and ruin your Black Ops MP fun? I say.. two weeks[/QUOTE]

I don't know....have you even read anything about the MP?

Here are a couple, there are plenty more:

http://www.cod7blackops.com/perks/ Notice anything missing?

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707275/call-of-duty-black-ops-multiplayer-reveal-hands-on.html

And the best news yet - fuck the quick scoping idiots: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/932/article/treyarch-bans-quickscoping-in-call-of-duty-black-ops/

All of that and One In the Chamber sounds quite interesting....

It is amazing the hatred that comes out. I'd wager there are still more people playing either the original MW or WaW MP than either KZ2 or Resistance 2 right now.

[quote name='jmbreci']I'd wager there are still more people playing either the original MW or WaW MP than either KZ2 or Resistance 2 right now.[/QUOTE]
Agreed

That perk list looks much better than the BS in MW2. But I also hope the publisher institutes perma-bans on cheaters. I hate these a-holes in MW2 who lag switch just because they need an ego boost. Quick scopers are a different story, since basically they are playing by the game's mechanics, but that is so cheap.

[quote name='Bazylik']Do you really believe it's going to be that much different? Same graphics, same gameplay, some added stuff and perks... MW2 is fun but not that great..

So how long you guys think it will take for hackers to come and ruin your Black Ops MP fun? I say.. two weeks[/QUOTE]
Exploiters yes, hackers no. There will always be an exploit or two to fix. Actual hackery on the server level is doubtful since it's more than just hacking a console or hacking a prestige, not to mention that it carries penalties far beyond just being banned from the PSN or Live, like losing your ISP and being investigated for cyber crimes.

[quote name='Mad39er']Exploiters yes, hackers no. There will always be an exploit or two to fix. Actual hackery on the server level is doubtful since it's more than just hacking a console or hacking a prestige, not to mention that it carries penalties far beyond just being banned from the PSN or Live, like losing your ISP and being investigated for cyber crimes.[/QUOTE]

Hacking a video game does not get you investigated for cyber crimes, and I highly doubt these guys are getting their ISP taken away as well.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Hacking a video game does not get you investigated for cyber crimes, and I highly doubt these guys are getting their ISP taken away as well.[/QUOTE]
Hacking a video game doesn't, hacking a server for a video game would. I wish you'd actually read what you're replying to.

bread's done
Back