I'll put in simpler terms so that you can understand it better. People buy 3 games in Nov/Dec for every 1 they buy in Apr/May. After Call of Duty they still have two more games they will buy in Nov/Dec. If they buy Red Dead in Apr/May they aren't buying any other games. As a result it is much riskier to launch a game outside of the holiday season.
That's flawed logic. Gamers and casual gamers do not have a I am only going to buy 3 games between November-December and one through April and May attitude. Lets take the NPD Numbers for November 2009. Using the top ten selling. The total units sold for the top ten is 10.87 million units. Call of Duty takes the number 1 (360 sale) and the number two (PS3 sales) at selling a total of 6.1 million units or 56% of the total of top ten sales. The next selling highest one is Assasins Creed II selling a total of 1.24 million units or just 11%. So if only two titles make up 67% in the top ten, you are telling me that people are buying different games and that people are not just buying the triple A titles that have been anticipated all year?
Now back to Brutal Legend. EA should have realized that Tim Schaffer and his studio is a critically acclaimed studio and is not that great of a seller. So by EA releasing Brutal Legend in the fall, it was over-shadowed by Uncharted, Call of Duty, and Assasins Creed. If they released it in January or February all the hype would have died down from the Triple A titles giving it a better platform to stand out. Thats all I am saying. Its cool to see that Borderlands and Dragon Age did well.
Also, you have to ask yourself why Nintendo and Sony are releasing there triple A titles in the spring/fall. They have less competition during that time. If God of War III was released in the fall instead of March, I bet you Call of Duty would have hurt its sales and on top of that Uncharted would have been competing against it as well. I just think that Publishers are starting to realize that they can spread games out through out the year and still get great sales.
Edited by Davestation, 22 October 2010 - 01:26 PM.