Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Ad Video Game Deals (10/17/10 to 10/23/10)

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#241 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, i used it right away, no issues at all
Posted ImagePosted Image

#242 Curly21029

Curly21029

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

just wanna say thanks for that tip! didn't even cross my mind until you said it (well maybe it did, but briefly ;) )

head into the BB that I dropped a pre-order down at, saw the game on a nice display and only hardcover guides on another shelf next to it. Walk the floor to find a paperback, even in the normal area, there were none. I was not approached by an employee, nor did I ask. Go up to the CS counter with ad, game, and hardcover guide in hand and talk with a guy who helped me out on this TS3 Wii game debacle (disc didn't read from 3 stores, exchanged 3 times, finally got PS3 version from him and he was cool) He remembers me, so I think I'm golden. I mention that since this guide is $34.99 and it's a $35 value, I'm not really worried about the $10 GC b/c I know those are hard to PM. He peruses the ad and says that it is a great deal, starts entering it and calls for a manger.

One lady walks over, checks the ad, thinks its fine to match, but has to talk to another female manager. Odds stacking up against me at this point, I kind of listen in, and she seems ok with it, they walk over and ask the guy if he called. No, he didn't, so they run into this room to call. A few minutes go by and I'm trying to get nervous when I hear, "OH! It's not the hardcover guide!!" exclaimed from both of the ladies :roll: so a few more minutes go by and the higher up lady comes back out and says it would be fine, but it wasn't the hardcover book. I simply told her that was all I saw on the floor and assumed that's all they had. Went further to say, 'it clearly say's $35 value, so we can either bring that $10 GC into the mix and the regular guide, or I'll be happy with that one only.' When confronted about not PMing GC deals, I whip out the 3 page PM policy printed up, to which she says "You came all sorts of prepared.." I just smiled at her and said of course. She reads it and I guess gave up, zeroed out the hardcover guide, and I was out the door for the price of the game, minus $5. So I'm really happy!

so like Dave4086, the gist is in the fine print, or lack there-of. I think you could go either way, but the CE guide seems well worth it over a $10 GC in one way or another. Unless they knock it off the price on the spot and give you the regular guide. But they need to be PM this if you want it from there, don't back down!

While you're right about the gift card match they shouldn't have thrown in the strategy guide.

The guarantee does not apply to our competitors' website pricing and the guarantee does not apply to our or our competitors':

-Offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors and mail-in offers.

Clearly this is YMMV. If you're the conscientious type, attempting the match is breaking policy.

I just got back from Toys R Us. I didn't know that the free guide was only supposed to be with the 360 version as the ad didn't stipulate as much. Only the 360 version was pictured, but showing pictures for the same game multiple times would be redundant and I believe anyone with an elementary understanding of marketing would assume as much. After minimal discussion, the employee called the ad "deceptive" and management agreed to make it happen. I don't get angry because it's just stuff and there are obviously greater tragedies to get emotional over, but I've found that being calm, assertive, and personable while honoring the employee's perspective will more often than not achieve just results.

Being that this is the first time I've shopped at Toys R Us in many years, (those ceilings sure seemed a lot higher as a kid) I have no idea if this is common practice for them. I've filed a formal complaint via their customer service line and urge others to do the same.

#243 netscorer

netscorer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

Quick question: I have gratitude coupon from the last week's TRU B2G1 deal that went wrong. Can I apply that coupon when in store? The Email says I would need to call CSR and mention order number to get it work. Just not sure how this works in store.

#244 Tallest_Midget

Tallest_Midget

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

Probably YMMV

Just got back from TRU with the PS3 version of fallout NV and the free guide/GC.

When they scanned both the guide and game an error would pop up, so the manager had to override everyone with the ps3 version on the computer to get the deal to work with the ps3 fallout.

#245 zohar

zohar

ゾハル

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

Tried to PM at Best Buy. They said they would PM the $10 GC but not the free guide. As their official PM policy states, they do NOT guarantee PMing "free" stuff (this, the manager pointed out, includes BOGO deals). It is what it says on their site, so I didn't disagree.

Went to TRU to get the PS3 version, but they couldn't figure out how to make the guide free. The printed ad on their glass panes DOES say "Xbox" version only, but my cashier didn't notice. He had to get a manager to bring the guide down to $0.01.

The weird thing is though, the checkout did automatically prompt for the gift card , which leads me to believe that this deal SHOULD work for PS3 versions, but some TRUs are clearly sticking to what's actually on print.
Seeking any Xenosaga/Xenogears merchandise!

#246 zohar

zohar

ゾハル

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

... After minimal discussion, the employee called the ad "deceptive" and management agreed to make it happen. ...

Being that this is the first time I've shopped at Toys R Us in many years, (those ceilings sure seemed a lot higher as a kid) I have no idea if this is common practice for them. I've filed a formal complaint via their customer service line and urge others to do the same.

Wait, so you're mad because they eventually sided with you after "minimal discussion"? They're just going by what their ad says, and their ad does say the 360 version only. If you went to the store, then you should've also seen that the print out on their glass also said Xbox only. TRU cashiers aren't usually gamers, so for all they knew, it could have been a different game. And what if you had tried to buy a PC version? Same game, but different price ($50 MSRP). I'd say the deal definitely isn't valid then, but they still might have sided with you. (Well, if they even sell PC games, but that's not my point.)

Yes, it is stupid to have the deal only for the 360 version instead of both, but you got the deal, after MINIMAL effort -- why complain to customer service? -_-;

Edited by zohar, 19 October 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#247 Curly21029

Curly21029

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

Wait, so you're mad because they eventually sided with you after "minimal discussion"? They're just going by what their ad says, and their ad does say the 360 version only. If you went to the store, then you should've also seen that the print out on their glass also said Xbox only. TRU cashiers aren't usually gamers, so for all they knew, it could have been a different game. And what if you had tried to buy a PC version? Same game, but different price ($50 MSRP). I'd say the deal definitely isn't valid then, but they still might have sided with you.

Yes, it is stupid to have the deal only for the 360 version instead of both, but you got the deal, after MINIMAL effort -- why complain to customer service? -_-;

I had no complaints about the store. The complaint registered was purely about the advertisement in question. Even the employee expressed frustration. I'm certain I'm not the only one who read "Free $10 gift card plus free game guide when you buy Fallout: New Vegas," stopped into the store, and then was turned away (initially) because I didn't meet a stipulation that was not stated in the advertisement. (i.e. for a specific system) The fact that they had to send an email to employees (told to me by the checkout associate) and had to post an additional sign makes it clear that "corporate" has acknowledged it as an issue. In addition, the gift card does automatically prompt when buying the PS3 version. (as someone mentioned above) Unadvertised offer? Possibly, but it's more probable that there's a communication breakdown between buyers, marketing, and POS programmers. It happens, but a reputable retailer has the sense to make good in the name of long-term sustainability. Someone with enough power and limited fiscal knowledge made a short-sighted decision. If the public bites their collective tongue the door remains open for repeat instances of customer and employee frustration. This is far from a tragedy to be sure, but if there's a minuscule possibility that a scant 5 minute investment on my part could alleviate future concerns for others then why should I take the selfish route and be pleased that I was a fortunate exception? If this same level of accountability (and, conversely, recognition for the positive) were applied on a large-scale to all business, political, and social concerns, how much closer to expectation would the quality of life be? But I digress. :-\"

And, as stated in my original post, I'm not "mad." I think it's laughable for anyone to be emotionally attached to anything concerning mere possessions.

EDIT: I apologize for not disclosing the pertinent details of the complaint in my original post.

#248 zohar

zohar

ゾハル

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Ah ok. That, I will agree with. :)

#249 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

It didn't matter for me at TRU because I was getting the 360 version, but the person working the electronics sections today at the south St. Louis County TRU was ADAMANT the freebies were only available on the 360 version. I don't know how many guides they had because they were being kept under the counter.

It amazes me how many people went to Gamestop and bought the game and then the guide for anywhere from $20-$22.50 (20% off if you're a PRP member, 10% off if not) when they could go into TRU and get the guide and a $10 GC for free. Now if you had to trade in a whole bunch of games to pay for it or wanted the PC/PS3 versions then I understand but I imagine the VAST majority of people who bought it at my local store were on 360.

I can also confirm there are no DLC codes in the TRU copies (the Gamestop DLC code was a paper slip pre-packaged in the game case.)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#250 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:52 PM

It didn't matter for me at TRU because I was getting the 360 version, but the person working the electronics sections today at the south St. Louis County TRU was ADAMANT the freebies were only available on the 360 version. I don't know how many guides they had because they were being kept under the counter.

It amazes me how many people went to Gamestop and bought the game and then the guide for anywhere from $20-$22.50 (20% off if you're a PRP member, 10% off if not) when they could go into TRU and get the guide and a $10 GC for free. Now if you had to trade in a whole bunch of games to pay for it or wanted the PC/PS3 versions then I understand but I imagine the VAST majority of people who bought it at my local store were on 360.

I can also confirm there are no DLC codes in the TRU copies (the Gamestop DLC code was a paper slip pre-packaged in the game case.)

Personally, i didnt even know they were giving out a guide. Went there to pick it up, when the lady hands me the game and a huge manual to take to customer service, i remember saying "No thanks, i dont want the guide", and she said "Its free!". Needless to say i was shocked, even more so when after the sale they handed me a 10 dollar gift card
Posted ImagePosted Image

#251 Abeja

Abeja

CAG with No Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Just got back from Toysrus in Lincoln,NE. Had 2 placeholders for Fallout and Black Ops, and another order with Kirby as a placeholder. Returned them no problem, got the guides, and a 1600 point card from the 2 gift cards. Have about 62$ left to preorder Black Ops. Thanks dgw for answering my question, and most importantly thank you CAG!!!

#252 zephie

zephie

ファンサービスだ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

I just picked up Fallout NV for PS3 with no problems (National City TRU). Game, guide, and GC all rang up correctly without having to call anyone else over. I guess IF they were having problems there at all with the PS3 version it's a resolved issue now.
Now playing:

Posted Image

#253 LiquorLicks

LiquorLicks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:09 AM

Got a killer deal at the Greenville, NC Best Buy!!! I got Fallout, the ten dollar gift card, and the collectors guide for free. I pointed out in the add that the TRU deal included a ten dollar gift card and a free game guide valued up to $34.99, so the collectors edition guide was priced at $34.99, so I got a hell of a deal!!!

#254 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:21 AM

No

Also picked up a guide + game. Plenty guides left @ Toledo OH on Alexis (on the spare chance someone from there reads this)

No as in it's not packed in the game? I picked up my copy at BB and I don't see a sticker on the outside stating any code is packed in ... so I'd rather not open up the game if I need to exchange it for one that has the code.

Now playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Titanfall

#255 spincut

spincut

Marketing/VG Production

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:33 AM

Still hoping to get my question answered about the Halo Reach Gift card deal in regards to how long it lasts and if it will work in store.

#256 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:54 AM

Still hoping to get my question answered about the Halo Reach Gift card deal in regards to how long it lasts and if it will work in store.

Hint: Read the title of the thread your posting in, and yes.

#257 spincut

spincut

Marketing/VG Production

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

Hint: Read the title of the thread your posting in, and yes.

much like the in store potential, the site page for the best buy special says nothing about the expiration date, so subject title or not I wanted to get some kind of confirmation.

#258 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Had to abandon my preorder at BB. No collectors edition games in sight. Went to Gamestop and got their last non-preorder. Hooray.

#259 D0RC

D0RC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

So are there any B2G1 deals left before the year ends?

#260 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

So are there any B2G1 deals left before the year ends?

A VERY limited one at BB next week only on select new releases from Oct.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#261 stavros45

stavros45

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

Somebody stop me if this is posted elsewhere, but the DJ Hero 2 case from BB is not a sku'ed item. I picked up the standard bundle ($99) and they handed me a case. Although, the case is clearly exact same Renegade edition case (even says Renegade on the case, must be old leftovers or something...). Went to a different BB during work the next day and returned the DJ Hero 2 bundle, no problem. Free case is at home with my old turntable.

EDIT: Case was sitting with maybe 7 or 8 others on a shelf behind customer service. When I asked about the case eventually someone took me up there and the transaction proceeded normally at the CS desk.

Edited by stavros45, 21 October 2010 - 04:10 PM.
clarification

#262 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:46 AM

is the wal-mart deal still happening for dj hero 2? I read a few days ago (can't find the thread for it now) where you buy dj hero 2 and you get the original dj hero free for 360. I went to wal-mart's website and it's down for the local ad that shows the specials of the week.

#263 ronfear

ronfear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

I wanted the Fallout New Vegas Collectors Edition but i couldn't pass up the great Toys R Us Deal for a $10 GC and the Guide.
hardcoreshooter.com

Posted Image