Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #217: F*cking Adorable

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#91 VIKINGS6912

VIKINGS6912

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

I have just started listening to the podcast and I love it!!! Keep up the good Work!

#92 super_nerd

super_nerd

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:29 AM

Wombat sucks.

This is a very insightful comment.

This podcast feels like pants.

Just kidding, I love you wombat.

...Or do I?

#93 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:57 AM

Of the Kinect games, I've heard that Kinectimals is surprisingly really, really fun. Like the surprise best game after Dance Central. If you have children, it's a must.

#94 retro_collector

retro_collector

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:38 AM

I really want to play Fable 3, but seeing as how it's ALREADY dropped $7 on Amazon, I think I'll hold off until at least Black Friday to make a purchase.

#95 milkham

milkham

Master Massaginist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

I think you guys are giving sony too much credit if you expect that it's handling of the psp platform to make sense.
Posted Image
^^^^^That is Waka Inoue^^^^^^

Check My List | [url=http://flickr.com/photos/milkman/]My Flickr Page |

#96 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

Shipwreck needs to say Fuck on the next show

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#97 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

I listened to the show yesterday, and today I remember absolutely none of it. My memory sucks.

I did pick up Rock Band 3 based on Cheapy and Ship's recommendation (and my own want) and I quickly learned that I absolutely suck at the keyboard.

DarkZion9.png card.png

Yeah jay remedy was really the heart and soul of this thread.

story isn't outstanding.. but the fact you can rub a girl and make them naked? and hear them moaning ?

total worth my money

#98 dreamparacite

dreamparacite

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

Great episode! Glad to hear Tai liked having the Shipwrecks over. I keep hearing about Japanese toilets and now I want one o.o

#99 NihongoHiatou

NihongoHiatou

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Great show this week guys, im a long time listener 1st time poster, i would just like to say i think this weeks show was one of the best this year i never stoped laughing all the way through keep it up :D

PS: Wombat bring back jewbeard ;)

#100 Zane57

Zane57

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:56 AM

Another great show guys! :D

Bread's done.

#101 kalkin

kalkin

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

love you guys. cheapy you're living the dream.

can i make one suggestion? a general suggestion for the show.

can you mention the name of the game more often during a discussion. or perhaps mention it at the end of the discussion to close it up. i listen on the train and sometimes miss the game name at the beginning of the discussion. i then have to rewind just to know what you were talking about.

just saying... :)

#102 Iron Past

Iron Past

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

For anyone in the US, if you go to Xbox.com and sign in > Accounts > Upgrade/Manage Accounts > click on whatever automatic renewal is highlighted you can shut off (or set up) auto renewal after going through a few ad pages.

And personally, aside from not being able to check my inventory unless I go to a Pawn Broker, I really, really like what they did with Fable 3's menus. In fact, I like pretty much everything in the game. If anyone is having frame rate problems, turn off orbs; it worked for me, at least.

#103 MikeFightNight

MikeFightNight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

I know exactly how Wombat feels about his Gold subscription getting automatically renewed since mine is coming up on November 1st. I found out the hard way when they had that one dollar for a month of Gold deal awhile back, the time it took me to phone and cancel before the renewal had me rethink the value of a dollar.

So when I decided to pony up and get a Gold subscription (mainly for access to the Forza 3 auction house) I thought that since I bought the Gold membership from a retailer that I wouldn’t be held at renewal gunpoint when the time came, I was sadly mistaken. Microsoft had my credit card information and they were willing to use it against me, so I decided to do something that I feel pretty proud about. I switched my billing information from my current credit card to a pre-loadable credit card someone had given me with one dollar left on it, then I tested my theory by trying to buy points with no avail...You blood suckers will never get my credit info again, take that Microsoft!!!

#104 Jasonofindy

Jasonofindy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Wombat is absolutely right about the Imaginext Batman gear. My son recently received the Batmobile, Batcycle, and Joker's Lair for his 3rd birthday and he literally went batsh!t insane with excitement. He has been playing with them for weeks non-stop. I'd be willing to bet that Cheapy's son will love it.

Re: Kirby's Epic Yarn

I bought this on release day and my 5 year old daughter LOVES it. She's played over 20 hours over the past couple weeks in hour or 2 hour increments after school. She has played through the first few levels to gain beads and decorate her in-game apartment so many times that I honestly think that this game will be HER Super Mario Bros. levels 1-1 and 1-2. Additionally, with the possible exception of the two SMG games, this is the best looking game on the Wii.

#105 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

I am in love with Rock Band 3 as well, but I am really bummed that I have to wait another month to get a MIDI adapter to play my keyboard. I suppose this is to increase sales of their keytar, which I can't blame them for.
Posted Image

#106 lml417

lml417

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

this show is awesome. thanks for the news

#107 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

It's too bad the the force unleashed 2 isn't getting any love. As someone who bought the Sith Edition last year, I had a blast with all the dlc, the story, and concept. BTW, the Force Unleashed came out in 2008 giving them about two years to make the game, but I'm sure it ended up being less than that because they had to start from scratch with no staff (which most likely killed the spirit of the game), hardly any time to think of a good continuation of the story. and no time to have more of everything people loved about the original.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#108 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

I think Kinect will have a good launch, as opposed to the Move - which had no game support. Sony should have waited until they at least had a workout game. Like it or not, those are good performaers. Playstation Move Heroes should have been a launch game, not waiting 6 months for it.

The problem with game development for the Kinect, however, is without an analog stick all action games will have to be on rails, which will be tiresome trend after a short while. I'm not sure an on- screen joystick like some Iphone games use would go over too well. But maybe this might close the gap a bit with PC gaming, using Kinect for point and click uses.

And Wombat, you don't need to use your basic weapons in Fable 3 to have them evlove. I never used them, but they continue to change color and shape depending on my overall actions in the game. The other weapons you get are much more powerful, and have specific goals listed on them to power them up even more.

#109 WTPolaris

WTPolaris

Atypically Typical

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hey guys, love the show and hearing about the new releases helps me figure out whether or not they are worth picking up around launch. I hadn't really considered doing that with Rock Band 3 until you guys gave it such glowing reviews!

Keep up the good work, the three of you work great as a team!

#110 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

Oh Cheapy, why do you not go into the PS3's XMB and have the controller shut off after a bit while its not in use? Its under "settings" and its under "power settings" or something like that....
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#111 Keavy_Rain

Keavy_Rain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

On the console discussion: I agree with CheapyD on the batteries thing. I have an Eneloop charger and extra batteries and it's so nice to pop out the battery pack, replace the batteries, and keep on gaming wirelessly.

My personal rankings and why:

Xbox 360: 5

Despite being on my fifth 360 (Only paid for two, the Original and my new Slim) I love the thing to death. Plus, the hardware improvements on the Slim are very noticeable. With my original, I had to install my games to keep the noise down, which ate up HDD space like crazy. My Slim is quieter without installs compared to my original with installs and I now have 186GB free on my HDD.

There's also the whole Xbox Live thing (I pay for it because I see the value in it and, thanks to this site, I've never paid full price), all my friends are on Live, I prefer the controller, I like the game selection, and my annoyances (Buying stuff with points instead of cash) are minor.

Wii gets a 4 because it's a great party console and it has Virtual Console. I don't own a lot of disc-based non-party non-Nintendo first party titles, but I love what I have. The only real ding to it is it feels more like a compliment to the HD consoles than a counterpart.

PS3 gets a 1 because it died 18 months after I bought it. I had similar hardware issues with PS2, so I should have expected it. "It does everything" but the damn thing won't live long if you use it for everything. The primary use for the PS3 was Blu-Ray/Upscaling DVD player and it got a ton of use in those functions. I also used it for gaming, but I found myself playing multiplatform games on it over the exclusives.

If my PS3 was still alive it would be a 4 because I was really looking forward to inFamous 2 because I loved the hell out of the first one.

Overall, I thought you guys did a good show. Like Wombat, I loved the hell out of Fallout 3 but unlike Wombat I can't justify giving New Vegas a shot. I may pick it up when it hits $30 or goes GOTY (Assuming they have the thing playable by then) but there's just too much coming out and too much I need to catch up on for me to buy a broken $60 game.
"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand" - Homer Simpson

#112 akmgmer

akmgmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

Great hearing about Shipwreck's trip to Japan, and seeing some of the stuff he picked up is pretty neat. Anyway, another great show. Listening to each new show is always a highlight of my week (games and college is not too terribly exciting) but thanks for the show!

76561197977258746.pngAddFriend.png 

Spoiler

#113 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

It's too bad the the force unleashed 2 isn't getting any love. As someone who bought the Sith Edition last year, I had a blast with all the dlc, the story, and concept. BTW, the Force Unleashed came out in 2008 giving them about two years to make the game, but I'm sure it ended up being less than that because they had to start from scratch with no staff (which most likely killed the spirit of the game), hardly any time to think of a good continuation of the story. and no time to have more of everything people loved about the original.

Yeah the reason I remember the original Force Unleashed came out in fall 2008 was because it narrowly beat Quantum of Solice for the Best License game award on my podcast, mainly for its story tieing it in with the original trilogy. On pure gameplay, I think Quantum was better.

I think Thor's spot on because 90% of the staff was fired right before the first one came out, then the producer of the first two games and also the longest tenured employee left at Lucasarts left this summer and 90% of the staff was fired before the second game came out. Also the company has changed presidents 2 or 3 times in the last two years.

Cheapy don't forget the Undead DLC added two new multiplayer modes. 1 is not a major addition (land grab) but the 2nd is an undead horde style mode on a timer. It's basically a combination of Gears 2 Horde and LFD on speed. You only have a few minutes on each wave and if you don't kill the undead in time, then respawns and ammo drops are turned off for you, and the zombies keep respawning until you die.

If anyone hasn't bought any Red Dead pay DLC, then I would HIGHLY suggest the $20 bundle available on XBL and PSN which is all 3 pay packs in 1 (essentially B2G1F.) The pay pack from Sept. that added multiplayer Liar's Dice, Poker, and Horse Races, along with a new multiplayer mode, a new multiplayer weapon (exploding rifle,) and a lot more multiplayer hunting grounds is worth it owning. Then you get the Aug. pay pack for free (which was just multiplayer maps, skins from the first Red Dead game, and a new weapon.)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#114 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

Great show guys! You totally sold me on RockBand 3 with the Keyboard...Now to try to convince my wife that the $130 keyboard bundle is a worthy investment to "learn a musical instrument".
Oh and wombat, you got dangerously close to the new Kotaku review scheme when talking about who should care/buy it for Fallout 3: NV. We'll let it slide this time, but stick to the 3 word CAG-style in the future.

You might want to check dell.com to see if they're still selling that bundle (at least on 360) for $99.99 and free shipping (not sure on tax.) They were earlier this week.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#115 saabaroo

saabaroo

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

Came for the Wombat stayed for Cheapy D and Shipwreck.Another great podcast guys,downright epic even.Stay classy San Diego

#116 Interfeci

Interfeci

ASSIMILATE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

I agree with the assessment of system enjoyment.

I like the xbox, but I don't enjoy the community that much. The PS3 is nice, but they seem to be spending so much time and money to market it and not enough to flesh out their system. Half-assed home, half-assed PS+, half-done XMB. You'd think they would learn from everywhere else. And the Wii just feels like it's randomly gasping out as it dies.
PEW PEW PEW.

#117 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

The XMB isn't half-done. It's just as easy to use as the 360's menus, plus it's not plastered with ads everywhere.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#118 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:19 PM

My ratings for the consoles:

XBox 360- 4
Have to knock down a point for the hardware failures. I'm on my 5th system (only bought 2- launch unit and HDMI Arcade unit in Sept. 08) and that's just unacceptable. Only thing saving the 360 was the PAST lineup of exclusives and its online network blowing away anything else available. Also the controller is awesome for anything that doesn't need to use the D-Pad (old school arcade games/fighters.) Best lineup of games, and plenty of games available for under $30 new or under $20 used.

PS3- 4
Much more reliable system overall but older units are starting to fail. PS3 firmware updates are not an issue if you turn on the console at least once a week to check out the PSN Store (which updates around 7-8 p.m. eastern each Tuesday.) Biggest issues are SLLLLOWWWW downloads regardless of your US internet connection and almost all of the games having to install data to the HDD before you can play the game. Playing a new release can take anywhere from 1-20 minutes after insertion before you can play depending on the install size.

I think the PS3 is a 4 out of 5 now because its exclusives blow away the 360's lineup. All the 360 has left as quality retail exclusives are the Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable series, Tales of Vesperia (in North America/Europe only), Lost Odyssey, and Mass Effect 1. 360 has no more retail exclusives left for 2011 and beyond other than Kinect games and Gears 3. The 360 does get timed exclusive DLC a lot, but it eventually comes out on PSN anyway.

The PS3 has a huge lineup of first/second party exclusive retail games (GoW series, Killzone series, Uncharted series, Sly Cooper Collection, Infamous, Ico/Shadow of the Collossus collection, Ratchet and Clank series, MLB The Show, MGS 4, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Gran Turismo, Buzz, MAG, Socom, Infamous, Time Crisis, and Heavy Rain) plus you have the Move lineup of games which I think is superior to the Kinect lineup when you factor in the games (Heavy Rain, Tiger Woods, MAG, RE 5 Gold Edition) that have patched in Move support already.

Also there are some third party games that have more content on the PS3 version (Batman: AA, Mirror's Edge [free DLC pack], Alone in the Dark, Dante's Inferno, RE 5: Gold Edition, MoH, and Dead Space 2.) Some would even argue that the Ninja Gaiden Sigma series are better than the XBox Ninja Gaiden games. If the L2/R2 triggers are an issue, I would HIGHLY recommend the $5 trigger buttons that slide onto the L2/R2 buttons. That eliminates 90% of the problems I have using the L2/R2 buttons on the Dual Shock 3.

If you're a casual game player or someone with kids that isn't going to be online each night, then PSN is ok because of the free cost, but you get what you pay for. XBL is a superior service, but you have to use it almost daily to get the cost-benefit vs. a free PSN account.

Also if you use your PS3 as a media hub (Play On software, Windows Media Center, etc.) then the XMB beats the layout on the 360 IMO. Also the PS3 is still one of the best Blu-Ray players out there and it's upscaling on DVD's is better than the 360 IMO. Also you can replace the HDD with any standard labtop sized drive vs. being stuck with MS proprietary stuff.

Wii- 1
My catchphrase on my podcast when talking about Nintendo is, "I didn't leave Nintendo, Nintendo left me," so I may not be the best voice on the Wii. That said, horrible online interface, only good downloadable games are pretty much only games from the last decade (Virtual Console,) tons of CRAP shovelware to sift through to find the few worthwhile games, motion controls being on everything when sometimes it doesn't need it, and the controller being uncomfortable to use when sideways (NSMB and Punch Out.)

A prediction I have for 2011 is Sega and Capcom are going to port their mature titles on the Wii (House of the Dead games, Madworld, RE: Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles, etc.) to PS3 with the Move. We've already seen No More Heroes go exclusive on PS3 and Dead Space Extraction being included on the PS3 version of Dead Space 2.

Edited by MSUHitman, 31 October 2010 - 02:24 AM.

42869.png

#119 deathmothon

deathmothon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

I would give the 360 a 4 because of affordability. You have to pay for online (and will soon have to pay more) and Microsoft won't let developers release very much for free. 360 also suffers the most if you compare it to PC gaming. You can get almost everything on the 360 for much cheaper off of Steam.

#120 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

The XMB isn't half-done. It's just as easy to use as the 360's menus, plus it's not plastered with ads everywhere.

The 360 Blade sytem was just fine, when they went to the current system that was just a huge learning curve that took something very easy and simple to navigate and made it into a huge cluster Fuck to navigate. Than adding the Zune store added loading to look at movies.........? they took something that worked just fine and over complictaed it and know we have to see a loading screen to browse movies. I would love to go back to the Blade system any time. The XMB is nice, but it does need a makeover of sorts, seems dated.
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]