Wii To Wii Changeover Help Please.

mrmagoo1974

CAGiversary!
Feedback
195 (100%)
Here is my question: Is the conversion from one machine to another painless?

I am seriously considering getting the red wii. I already have a will but will sell it once i get the red one. My concern is this....I have 2000 points "in" my current wii and I was wondering if those points will carry over to the new wii or are they now "stuck" on my current machine. Same question with game saves, and anything thing else that i want in my new wii. Is it just as simple as throwing everything on to an SD card then abracadabra put it in the new wii and I am golden with my current downloads, game saves, ect ect. And as far as the points go, do I just sign on to my current account on the new wii similar to the process when you switch over one xbox 360 to another?

Thanks.

I think I remember hearing something about being able to call up Nintendo and you can ship them both Wiis and they can do the transfer there.

[quote name='Gden']They're stuck to your current machine.[/QUOTE]

Can i bring virtual console games over from one machine to another via SD card? If so, I will just "blow my wad" now on some games on my current machine so I can just copy them over...

[quote name='Spyder187']No. The only solution you have here is to gift yourself some vc games from the old console to the new one.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap....Very clever, I actually never thought of that. Thanks for the advice!!!!!

[quote name='Spyder187']No. The only solution you have here is to gift yourself some vc games from the old console to the new one.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do that. Don't put any games on the new console until you talk to Nintendo customer support first. I'd hate to see you lose those games accidentally when Nintendo transfers over old stuff. (This might not be an issue... but it's worth asking people who actually know to find out!)

Moving Digital Content
All digital content (such as Virtual Console or WiiWare games) that you have downloaded to your Wii console are locked to that specific console. The only way to switch them, or any Wii points remaining on your account, to a new console is to contact Nintendo and work with their customer service department.

Technically, Nintendo doesn't just make the transfers when people ask. However... if you are a "good customer" who has purchased a significant amount of content then they have been known to break the rules and transfer content after both consoles (new and old) were mailed in. There are several reported stories about this, but you'd better call Nintendo customer service before buying your new Wii just in case.

Moving Save Files
Most game save files can be moved to the new console using an SD card to transfer the files. These files are not locked to one console, and can be freely transferred as often as you want.

However, there are some exceptions. Games like Animal Crossing or Mario Kart Wii cannot be copied onto an SD card, and therefore can't be easily transferred. (I was told once that it's usually games with a significant online component that have this restriction, but have no idea if that is true.) If Nintendo customer support agrees to help with your digital content, then can probably move these special save files to your new console at the same time.

[quote name='ejamer']I wouldn't do that. Don't put any games on the new console until you talk to Nintendo customer support first. I'd hate to see you lose those games accidentally when Nintendo transfers over old stuff. (This might not be an issue... but it's worth asking people who actually know to find out!)

Moving Digital Content
All digital content (such as Virtual Console or WiiWare games) that you have downloaded to your Wii console are locked to that specific console. The only way to switch them, or any Wii points remaining on your account, to a new console is to contact Nintendo and work with their customer service department.

Technically, Nintendo doesn't just make the transfers when people ask. However... if you are a "good customer" who has purchased a significant amount of content then they have been known to break the rules and transfer content after both consoles (new and old) were mailed in. There are several reported stories about this, but you'd better call Nintendo customer service before buying your new Wii just in case.

Moving Save Files
Most game save files can be moved to the new console using an SD card to transfer the files. These files are not locked to one console, and can be freely transferred as often as you want.

However, there are some exceptions. Games like Animal Crossing or Mario Kart Wii cannot be copied onto an SD card, and therefore can't be easily transferred. (I was told once that it's usually games with a significant online component that have this restriction, but have no idea if that is true.) If Nintendo customer support agrees to help with your digital content, then can probably move these special save files to your new console at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice EJAMER, and I will give nintendo a call to see what they can and or consider doing for me FIRST. I did a little research a little while ago and what you said about online/wifi enabled games seems to be the general consensus. Those game saves will NOT carry over, but non online ones should not be a problem. Another interesting thing seems to be that I should put the games in the new Wii FIRST before i transfer the game saves because from what I understand, the wii needs to know that I have "played" them on the new consiole first.

As far as VC games, I actually dont have any, my main concern was the 2000 points I have IN my wii, which is where SPYDER's solution comes in. It sounds do-able to me, just GIFT some games from my current console to my future one. I love me so much I am going to gift me some games :) When i go to ebay my old system it would kill me to have to see my points go with it :)

Thanks again for the advice

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']As far as VC games, I actually dont have any, my main concern was the 2000 points I have IN my wii, which is where SPYDER's solution comes in. ...[/QUOTE]

In that case, and it's really just Wii points you need to transfer, then Spyder's advice is awesome. No mess, no fuss, and no need to ship consoles to Nintendo and then worry about getting them shipped back ok.

Best of luck!

I went through this today, actually, and it definitely isn't painless. As many have noted, online enabled games and VC games won't transfer. However, with everything else, here's the process I had to use (and I called Nintendo as well):

1) Transfer data from old Wii onto SD card.
2) Fire up new Wii, toss in a game whose data you want to transfer, and create a new save file.
3) Exit game, return to Wii Menu.
4) Manage saved data and erase the new saved data you just created.
5) Transfer old saved game data from SD card to the new Wii.
6) Repeat for every friggin' game you have.

If you try to transfer before having created a new save, the Wii won't take it. And if you don't delete the brand new saved data, the Wii will tell you that a saved game already exists so it can't transfer the data. It's horrible, really.

And you know what the real kicker is? My red Wii has a bum audio output, so I haven't even been able to play it yet and it has to go into Nintendo for service!

I wonder if Nintendo gets a couple hundred thousand people sending them units to change over content from an old Wii to the new red Wii if they would finally realize it's in their best interest to make the swap simpler?

This whole thing is so broken. They "break the rules" if you MAIL THEM BOTH IN!?! Being asked to do that is insane, and to act like they're doing you a favor...geez.

Not touching their download store until they get this fixed.

[quote name='Wolfpup']This whole thing is so broken. They "break the rules" if you MAIL THEM BOTH IN!?! Being asked to do that is insane, and to act like they're doing you a favor...geez.

Not touching their download store until they get this fixed.[/QUOTE]

Then you probably won't be touching the store. It seems highly unlikely to change. They haven't done anything with the store really except introduce demos, remove the demos and then add them again. It's also the only store that never seems to have a sale.

It sucks too because there's dozens of VC games I'd get. GOT over $100 worth and then of course lost them when my first Wii died.

Nintendo's archaic digital content policy is never going to change for the Wii. Hopefully it will once they get with the times for the Wii's successor.

Actually Nintendo can transfer shop accounts between Wiis over the Internet so you don't have to send them in. A Nintendo rep did it for me when I had to have my Wii repaired and the one they sent back to me didn't have my shop channel account on it.
I don't know if you would be able to convince a rep to do it if you just bought a new console though.

[quote name='Nesrie']... It's also the only store that never seems to have a sale.[/QUOTE]

I'd worry about this a lot more if not for the fact that you can often find Wii Point cards on sale for 20-30% off regular price. (Granted, it's been a while since I've watched for that kind of sale in Canada... maybe they don't do them anymore?)

bread's done
Back