Sin & Punishment: Star Successor $23.28 at Amazon

I played this at the local GS a few weeks back and I really liked it. I decided to cut back on new purchases and to play some of the backlog. I finally got to RE 5 and at Wesker already. Next up is Metroid OM and GTA 4. Hopefully this doesn't become rare down the road.

wow :beer:

I just ordered it at walmart for $15 in the 2 for $30 but great price.

:bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chunlirocks']wow :beer:

:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it. I was going to say the same, and am amazed just how quickly the price dropped on this game. I bought it when it first came out, and still haven't played it (that's what being a member of this site is all about :lol: )!

what did you pair with it? I couldn't find a game that wasn't for kids.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']You beat me to it. I was going to say the same, and am amazed just how quickly the price dropped on this game. I bought it when it first came out, and still haven't played it (that's what being a member of this site is all about :lol: )![/QUOTE]

You are actually amazed that a shmup from treasure dropped in price. You must be new to this. And yeah, CAG is all about buying great games that you'll never play.

[quote name='Chuplayer']This game sucks. Don't patronize Treasure with your $23.28. They can do better.[/QUOTE]

First time I ever heard someone say that. Why does it suck?

[quote name='FurryCurry']You are actually amazed that a shmup from treasure dropped in price. You must be new to this. And yeah, CAG is all about buying great games that you'll never play.

First time I ever heard someone say that. Why does it suck?[/QUOTE]

I have heard this, usually it's because the game is too hard and semi on rails when people were expecting a free roam deal, I dunno why he/she says this but I seen a few complaints of "this game blows" and usually that was the reason, they were in person though, once at Gamestop(some lady was returning it) and once at Best Buy when a dude was with his buddy and had the game in his hand, his buddy had a vendetta against the game. :lol:

[quote name='Chuplayer']This game sucks. Don't patronize Treasure with your $23.28. They can do better.[/QUOTE]

Someone is bound to hate any given game out there in Internetland. Metacritic gave it an 87. Why didn't you like it?

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy this from Walmart in the 2 for $30 deal, and exchange the other game for a different game in store? The only decent game other than this is Sonic Racing, and I already have it.

[quote name='thelonepig']Chuplayer hates good games. ;)[/QUOTE]

Eat me. I loved the first game. I have the actual N64 Japanese import cartridge.

The sequel blows for many reasons.

It ditches the gritty feel of the first game. Everything's bubbly and pretty. I know what everybody's thinking, but I want my Sin and Punishment to be gritty and dirty.

The controls with the wiimote and nunchuk suck. Aiming is impossible when you're jamming on the buttons all the time.

They brought back the worst part of the first game, the side scrolling levels. For every time somebody mentioned the awesomeness of the aircraft carrier level of the first game, there was somebody who justifiably complained about the side scrolling level of the first game, too. It wasn't fun.

Speaking of the aircraft carrier level, there's no equal in the sequel. Nothing to make me go "wow" even though I was playing the game on hardware inferior to what was available at the time. (The Dreamcast and PS2 in the first game's days.) The sequel completely lacks the wow factor.

The flying around Space Harrier stuff is the exact opposite of what the first Sin and Punishment was all about.

In short, the sequel is absolutely horrible, and it is yet another example of just how far Treasure has fallen.

I don't know, besides complaining that the side-scrolling level isn't fun, you didn't list anything that makes it sound like a bad game. The reviews I read haven't complained about the controls and aiming, so I guess that's subjective.

IGN review
Kotaku review

The difficulty sounds like a nuisance, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is discounted this low, it is possible it may go down to $19.99 for the prelude to Black Friday Sale. This is total speculation though so decide what you will.

[quote name='eastx']I don't know, besides complaining that the side-scrolling level isn't fun, you didn't list anything that makes it sound like a bad game. The reviews I read haven't complained about the controls and aiming, so I guess that's subjective.

IGN review
Kotaku review

The difficulty sounds like a nuisance, though.[/QUOTE]

It's a Treasure game. Expectations are high going in. When you buy a Treasure game, you expect to buy something SPECTACULAR!!! At least, that's how it used to be.

Sure, it's not a bad game, but it's horrible by Treasure's standards. It's absolutely horrible that it's so middle of the road. There are a zillion games that are better than this and are more worth your time.

But I do stand by that list of problems I had with it. Those problems should have never cropped up.

[quote name='Chuplayer']It ditches the gritty feel of the first game. Everything's bubbly and pretty. I know what everybody's thinking, but I want my Sin and Punishment to be gritty and dirty.[/QUOTE]

I have only played a few minutes of the first game on VC (I'll go back to it when I finish Star Successor), but I think I get what you mean by "pretty." Star Successor's boy and girl character designs are "pretty" in kind of a creepy "drawn by Napoleon Dynamite" way. I really like the game, but I get a little creeped out every time the game stops to focus attention on any of the human characters.

[quote name='Chuplayer']It's a Treasure game. Expectations are high going in. When you buy a Treasure game, you expect to buy something SPECTACULAR!!! At least, that's how it used to be.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it ever was that way. Apart from Gunstar Heroes, just about everything I have played from them ranges from "quality" to "overrated and too self-indulgent."

That said, once you wrangle the controls under control (And there is no default scheme that works properly for the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. You HAVE to fight it out to separate the melee buttons, stow the worthless jump key somewhere, and ensure all your bases are covered.), I had no issues with them.

Chuplayer is absolutely correct in that there is nothing quite as wow-inducing as the aircraft carrier chapter from S&P1, but I still think as a whole it averages out to be a worthy sequel to S&P. Like any Treasure game, it has issues but for $20 you'll get your money's worth.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Sure, it's not a bad game, but it's horrible by Treasure's standards.[/QUOTE]

And where does Stretch Panic fit in on this scale?

On clearance @ Target now for $24.98 in most locations. Clearance is typically YMMV of course, but my store had about 5 or 6 copies on clearance.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']On clearance @ Target now for $24.98 in most locations. Clearance is typically YMMV of course, but my store had about 5 or 6 copies on clearance.[/QUOTE]

It is a YMMV price at Target. My Target still has it for $34.98 on clearance...had it been $24.98, I would have picked it up. I will give it another week to drop a bit more.

Thanks for the heads up on the walmart.com deal. I'm not sure if Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom was really my right pick for the 2nd game, but my 5 year old will love it...

[quote name='AlphaCananogram']Got it for $12.48 at Target clearance today. (nlr, ar)[/QUOTE]

Ditto, couldn't resist at that price :applause:

[quote name='AlphaCananogram']Got it for $12.48 at Target clearance today. (nlr, ar)[/QUOTE]

It hit $12.48 in NLR? Dang, I wasted a trip to LR to pick it up. Shouldn't have assumed it wouldn't drop this week. Also, dang. I have competition!

bread's done
Back