Sports Champions - Reverse Course on Amazon

That's the regular price for that item. Also note that this is merely an unlock key (for those like me who refuse to pay for content already on the disc.) Less support for these types of tricks will *hopefully* lead for less use of this crap.

[quote name='dragonjud']That's the regular price for that item. Also note that this is merely an unlock key (for those like me who refuse to pay for content already on the disc.) Less support for these types of tricks will *hopefully* lead for less use of this crap.[/QUOTE]

would you feel better if it weren't on the disc and you had to DL it from the PSN store? Are you against all DLC as well or just those that are on disc?

[quote name='ssjmichael']would you feel better if it weren't on the disc and you had to DL it from the PSN store? Are you against all DLC as well or just those that are on disc?[/QUOTE]

Yes, go ahead and make me download it from the PSN. I already pay Verizon for the right to do so. At least it makes me feel less like a tool, when the developer pretends to have used extra time to put this out there. The reality is that they give you a percentage of the content on the disc, and then you pay them to get the rights to use the rest of it.
I paid for the rights to use all the data on that disc. Not just the part that the developer thought I should have a right to use.

DLC should be additional content, not on the disc.

Well, most DLC content is made before the game is released and is designed to be sold after the game. The fact is a lot of studios don't make back the money from the initial purchase of the game and that's one way they try to recoup some of it. I'm sure they'd love to offer all the content on the disc, but I'm also sure they'd love to charge you $5 extra to buy the game.. From a psychological POV I understand what you're saying, but in reality there's no difference between something available in the store at launch or shortly after, and what's on the disc.

Couple of points:

1) I wasn't going to say anything, because I understand the sentiment about DLC that you feel was withheld, but I don't see the difference between it "being on the disc" or downloading it. If it makes you feel better, I guess I really cannot contend that point, but I still don't see how that is the case. Either way, you're paying for content that was developed alongside the game. If that bothers you, it should bother you either way.

2) You're not paying for the data on the disc. You're paying for the game, and the game is whatever the developer says it is. If they put resources on the disc to make the delivering of future content easier, then so be it, but that's not part of the game you paid for.

The reality is, we are in a new era of gaming. More advanced, Internet-enabled consoles have given developers and publishers an avenue for increased revenue. Nothing can stop the movement, unfortunately. And as the above poster said, most DLC is conceived and often completed before a game is released.

SSJMichael is right. Knowing it's on the disc is lame, but it was never going to be part of the main game anyway. I'd decide to purchase based on whether I wanted the additional content or not.

While this always seemed obvious to me, and too many other people I'm sure, but nobody here has said it yet so I will spell it out for you:

The difference between the content being on the disc or DL has to do with when the content was "created". People continue to buy expansion packs for WoW b/c it is NEW material. If those people found out all the expansion packs that have come out over the years were already on their original disc they would be furious. Same with DL content. If they were able to finish it on time to get it on the disc then it should be included in the original price. If they were continuing to work on it after the game came out so it can't possibly be on the disc then people are willing to pay extra for it.

In this instance most people would be annoyed b/c the content isn't even new, it's just reversed courses, so having to pay for that is stupid for most people anyway. It screams "unlockable".

You're stating your opinion as obvious, but to me it's kind of uninformed and silly.

A full expansion pack is not the same as modern DLC. DLC sells better if it's available within the first month of a game's release, and it definitely has to be released within 3 months to have a good chance at sales. Just look at how many CAGs say they've already sold a game like Borderlands when the latest DLC comes out.

How do you think the developers will have their DLC ready if they don't start working on it before the game comes out? So they allocate a team to developing DLC independently of the main game. Obviously if it was a huge set of content, like an expansion, they couldn't get that done as quickly and would release it down the line. PC games are more likely to receive expansions in the first place because there is no PC game resale market. Not to mention MMOs stay in development as long as the MMO doesn't get canceled, so that's extra years of development that console games don't receive after release.

Or it just screams something that they never bother to put into the game at all. The reality is, a lot of stuff would have just ended up on the cutting room floor in the past. They see an opportunity to make additional money, though, and there you have it.

And yes, eastx really hit the nail on the head. Companies need to strike while the iron is hot with DLC. Using WoW as an example is skewing the issue, because it's the most popular MMO of all-time. Very, very, very few games are going to have that kind of staying power where masses of people are going to be interested in new content years after release. If a game stays popular for a year nowadays, it's an achievement.

bread's done
Back