Games for Windows: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, all.
Games for Windows Marketplace just relaunched with a new, web-friendly system. To celebrate, they're doing "Deal of the Day's" all week.

Monday: Grand Theft Auto IV: $11.99 (40% off)
Tuesday: Borderlands: $9.99 (50% off)
Wednesday: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $11.99 (60% off)
Thursday: Red Faction: Guerrilla: $5.99 (70% off)
Friday: Saints Row 2: $5.99 (80% off)
Saturday: Bioshock: $1.99 (90% off)
Sunday: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

It should be noted that, so far, Steam has offered these games for less in the past. Therefore, I'd say "wait for the Steam Holiday Sale." (A CAG phrase that has been popular for about 6 months now.)

Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past.

Saturday: This is easily the most surprising of the deals. Bioshock has been $4.99 at the lowest over at Steam. So, if anyone's interested, this is the perfect time to pick the game up.

Sunday: I'd like to know which CAGer's can resist a 10-cent game. (CAG TIP: Due to the "exchange rate," using your Microsoft Points costs you more money.)

Though it's not part of this deal, I thought I'd add that Bioshock 2 is the Deal of the Week: $9.99 (50% off)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully, they have some deals like last February when I got Batman AA for 12 bucks. I also have about 1500 points I still need to spend.

I would love to see a deal on Just Cause 2!

Thanks OP ! Forgot about this launch. I was expecting some first week deals. Do have GTA IV but I am sure something good will come out of this sale. As the previous poster said, can't use ms points on steam. :D

[quote name='JKSonic']It's a pretty good deal especially since the PC version has the movie editor...[/QUOTE]
That explains why there are so many animated GIF's of Niko aiming the rocket launcher at his feet.

Valve needs to figure out a way to crush this. Steam is the only monopoly I support one hundered percent.

Please, Microsoft, cease these attempts to further divide PC gamers... we DO NOT NEED IT!

[quote name='dudejeff22']Valve needs to figure out a way to crush this. Steam is the only monopoly I support one hundered percent.

Please, Microsoft, cease these attempts to further divide PC gamers... we DO NOT NEED IT![/QUOTE]

Somebody doesn't understand why competition is good.

Alright, I've seen it all.

[quote name='rayne117']Somebody doesn't understand why competition is good.

Alright, I've seen it all.[/QUOTE]

Somebody doesn't know how to read.

[quote name='youngavatar']i wait until they got the complete edition on sale and pick it up for my pc.[/QUOTE]

thats what I'll do, but $11 is a very nice price for IV

The only game I'm waiting to go on sale is Gears of War. I'm prepared to spend $10 but I hope it goes on sale for $5.

I'm very tempted to pick up this, even though I already have it on Xbox 360

Worth pointing out that Osmos LIVE is also on sale with a 75% discount until Wednesday, and that on Thursday it will be replaced for another Deal of the Week.

the GTA deal is only today, tomorrow it will be a different game.

[quote name='DarkPGR']Worth pointing out that Osmos LIVE is also on sale with a 75% discount until Wednesday, and that on Thursday it will be replaced for another Deal of the Week.[/QUOTE]
I almost forgot about that; It actually might be a good grab at $2.50. (Again, I've got MS Points to burn.)

[quote name='DarkPGR']I'm very tempted to pick up this, even though I already have it on Xbox 360

Worth pointing out that Osmos LIVE is also on sale with a 75% discount until Wednesday, and that on Thursday it will be replaced for another Deal of the Week.

the GTA deal is only today, tomorrow it will be a different game.[/QUOTE]
Wait for a steam sale. Not only would be more likely to get it cheaper you might also be able to get the episodes with it at a discounted price.

Also it looks like GTAIV is going to go on sale this week at D2D with a good chance of its expansion going on sale as well.

[quote name='Zin_LG']Wait for a steam sale. Not only would be more likely to get it cheaper you might also be able to get the episodes with it at a discounted price.

Also it looks like GTAIV is going to go on sale this week at D2D with a good chance of its expansion going on sale as well.[/QUOTE]

I would rather not have my games infested with steam, thank you very much. With how buggy steam is, I'd rather have the option to play my games even if the steam servers are "too busy", my "ticket expired" or there is "no connection".

BTW, Osmos LIVE is well worth it, is a very unique game, and being the LIVE version exclusive to the GFW Marketplace, is a must.

I'd consider Alpha Protocol on sale for $5 or so. Rest of that catalog I either own or don't have much interest in.

[quote name='DarkPGR']I would rather not have my games infested with steam, thank you very much. With how buggy steam is, I'd rather have the option to play my games even if the steam servers are "too busy", my "ticket expired" or there is "no connection".

BTW, Osmos LIVE is well worth it, is a very unique game, and being the LIVE version exclusive to the GFW Marketplace, is a must.[/QUOTE]
As long as you have the game downloaded you can switch to offline mode and play. You can also switch servers at your leisure.

You keep an eye on D2D this week since its Rockstar week there.

[quote name='DarkPGR']BTW, Osmos LIVE is well worth it, is a very unique game, and being the LIVE version exclusive to the GFW Marketplace, is a must.[/QUOTE]
I liked the Steam demo and I've heard more than enough recommendations, so I went ahead and grabbed it.

200 MS Points later, I feel quite good.

[quote name='Zin_LG']As long as you have the game downloaded you can switch to offline mode and play. You can also switch servers at your leisure.

You keep an eye on D2D this week since its Rockstar week there.[/QUOTE]

I'm well past trying to fight with steam anymore. Ever since the mac revamp, it barely works for me any more, hence why my profile doesn't have much gaming on it, most of my PC gaming is on games bought elsewhere (most of the time at better prices)

Borderlands is $9.99 right now as well.

Not the best deal (I think it was cheaper on Steam during the summer sale, and GOTY edition will probably be half off sometime in the next month or two on steam), but it's there.

[quote name='Zin_LG']You keep an eye on D2D this week since its Rockstar week there.[/QUOTE]
Dude, I didn't even know there was a D2D sale going on; Why has no CAG posted such a thing?

[quote name='V878']I'd consider Alpha Protocol on sale for $5 or so. Rest of that catalog I either own or don't have much interest in.[/QUOTE]

If you live near a Micro Center, look there. It's not $5, but it is $9.99. Same with Alien vs Preditor.

[quote name='burz88']woah i didn't know that i could use MS points to buy these games on my computer. pretty cool[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wanted to post this. You can use MS points on GFW purchases. As mentioned before the $12 batman sometime ago to me was a good deal since I got a ton of free points from some spam txt msg thing lol. Also I have gotten in on some other deals to buy points at 50% off etc, and now with Bing rewards I'm getting in a free 500-600+ MSpoints a month between my two computers. When I don't have to spend the little cash I have for "non-essential spending", it's a good thing.

And as much as I LOVE steam and nearly all my PC titles are with them, competition IS good. We can't just have steam there to dictate all the prices (although they don't since their prices are always very good in terms of sales).

I hope this GFW thing works out, I really do.

Picked this up at Target about two months ago on clearance for $4.99! And although most stores will prob no longer have stock, it might be worthwhile to keep an eye out.

[quote name='youngavatar']wow $10 for borderland even steam never had it at that price, i guess Microsoft was serious about the pc market afterall[/QUOTE]

Steam has had Borderlands at $10 twice now. If Microsoft was serious about the PC market, they wouldn't make you sign into your Xbox account to accept their terms of use. Or carry Halo: CE. Or Rise of Nations. Or Freelancer. Or anything, really.

Steam had borderlands for cheap WITH the DLCs on discount at the same time. Was a pretty darn good deal, but hey at least Microsoft is moving in the right direction, although at a glacial pace.

Competition is good.

[quote name='mogamer']If you live near a Micro Center, look there. It's not $5, but it is $9.99. Same with Alien vs Preditor.[/QUOTE]

No Micro Center's here unfortunately, but it's ok since I'm in no hurry to get this game when I still got a backlog to get through.

[quote name='loomis1975']Steam had borderlands for cheap WITH the DLCs on discount at the same time. Was a pretty darn good deal, but hey at least Microsoft is moving in the right direction, although at a glacial pace.

Competition is good.[/QUOTE]

Correct, during one of the Summer Sales I picked up Borderlands in a 4 pack and 3 dlc's for around 18 bucks. I'm glad MS is finally moving in the right direction competition is a great thing!

Paid the same price for Borderlands for PC on clearance @ Target. I've logged so much time into this game. It's so addicting & so much to do. This game is definitely about "gun lust". :lol:

I might pick up the GOTY on the inevitable holiday Steam sale & probably sell my retail copy of Borderlands on ebay or in the trade thread here for a few $$$'s.

It was just a bit more expensive on Steam in October. That is a nice deal for the GOTY version of Batman AA. Good job so far on the daily deals to Microsoft. Hoping for a deal under $10 for Gears of War PC.

[quote name='hellhunde']Does the Steam version of Batman still have the GFWL achievements? Or is that only if you buy it from GFWL?[/QUOTE]

The steam version has achievements as well as this version

Yeah the regular game was this price back in March when I picked it up from GFWL. Still the only thing I've bought from their client.

Best price yet for GotY version.

As far as I can tell though, that's only two map packs on the PC version, which are $2.99 each on GFWL. Is there anything else included that I'm missing?

I know there's some Joker thing that's only on the PS3 version.

And I'm pretty sure the Steam version of this is just like the Steam version of Bioshock 2 or Dawn of War 2, and some other games... you still have to install the GFWL client as part of the game install, and patch through it. Steam is basically just a launcher and overlay in the case of GFWL games.

Would've been nice if they put the Batman DLC on sale as well. It discourages my hopes for a Fallout 3 DLC deal this week. Usually Steam is fairly good about marking down every part of a game when they have a deal.

Day 4 - Red Faction Guerrilla $5.99. Good deal, but this title has been on sale cheaply for most of the last year and change, still a pretty good game.

Deal of the week changed....BIOSHOCK 2 is $9.99 till next Thursday.

Decent price, its been this or a bit cheaper in digital or retail form in the past, I think I got it from Amazon for cheaper than $10 or maybe even Target clearance, if it was Target clearance, than it was $7.48 probably. :)

Steam version is Live-enabled. It doesn't even have Steam achievements, only GFWL.

Personally, I think I'll pass on this; I don't care much for GFWL, so I'd rather have it on Steam. It's been this price there before, and it will again - if not during the black friday sale, the holiday one.

Honest I haven't been impressed with the GFWL sales this week. It's been mostly rehashes of recent Steam sales, and I'm not holding out much hope for anything different the rest of the week.

Steam has so many sales and for such good prices its hard not to have "rehashes" of them, but I agree it would be nice to see some unique sales like Gears of War PC and Halo 2 for like $5 or less. Rooting hard for Gears of War, since its one of the few LIVE PC games I'm missing that I want.

bread's done
Back