Photo
- - - - -

Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14626 replies to this topic

#4471 helmet

helmet

beep boop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Fairly acceptable graphics compared to modern RPGs, HOWEVER - fantastic gameplay. I beat it awhile back and $2.49 is a fantastic steal deal for the game. Very open ended sandbox style game worlds that don't limit your exploration. Lots of side quests. Great mini-games and puzzles as well.

NOTE: The game does have a problem with running on Windows Vista and Windows 7. You have to disable movies for it to start-up, else it'll crash to the desktop when you try to start it up. Bunch of crap, and Bioware won't take the time to apply a little fix here. Some people have released some custom fixes to repair it, but they had to ultilize No-CD patches and other people debate if Steam would have a problem with them or not (most likely not).
Windows XP plays it best.

I'm tempted by this "Mirror's Edge." Anyone play it?

Machinarium can be obtained waaaaaaay cheaper at this very moment from the "Humble Bundle #2" pack. See: Google Search lol

Street Fighter IV is much better with a console controller or that Street Fighter IV arcade pad. I've played it both on pc and console and the controller is much easier. Get Super Street Fighter IV instead. Way better.

Heard good stuff about Serious Sam HD. Gonna read into it.

Mirror's Edge is a really great game, its a unique platformer and very atmospheric.. Until towards the end, then it turns into the worlds shittiest FPS. But before then its pretty good. :)

I'd pay $4 for it.

#4472 Baron O Hell

Baron O Hell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Why the hell does steam keep declining my card now? I got more than enough money in there, my wife and I are very good with our bills.

Call you credit card company up. If you are making $5 and lower purchases they might have flagged it.

#4473 Dohboy563

Dohboy563

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

You guys have been so helpful in aiding me through a couple of my purchases... thank you for that :D

Now i still need adivice on this:

Killing Floor... Can I run it? 6.99 bundle :D

PC stats:

CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X4 830 Processor
CPU Speed: 2.80 GHz Performance
RAM: 5.7 GB
ATI Radeon 3000 intergrated Graphics
Video RAM: 2.9 GB
Pixel Shader version: 4.0
Vertex Shader version : 4.0
Free Disk Space: 600.4 GB

Thanks in advance I really appreciate it

#4474 Vulgarism

Vulgarism

A living, breathing piece of defecating meat.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Fairly acceptable graphics compared to modern RPGs, HOWEVER - fantastic gameplay. I beat it awhile back and $2.49 is a fantastic steal deal for the game. Very open ended sandbox style game worlds that don't limit your exploration. Lots of side quests. Great mini-games and puzzles as well.

NOTE: The game does have a problem with running on Windows Vista and Windows 7. You have to disable movies for it to start-up, else it'll crash to the desktop when you try to start it up. Bunch of crap, and Bioware won't take the time to apply a little fix here. Some people have released some custom fixes to repair it, but they had to ultilize No-CD patches and other people debate if Steam would have a problem with them or not (most likely not).
Windows XP plays it best.

I'm tempted by this "Mirror's Edge." Anyone play it?

Machinarium can be obtained waaaaaaay cheaper at this very moment from the "Humble Bundle #2" pack. See: Google Search lol

Street Fighter IV is much better with a console controller or that Street Fighter IV arcade pad. I've played it both on pc and console and the controller is much easier. Get Super Street Fighter IV instead. Way better.

Heard good stuff about Serious Sam HD. Gonna read into it.

This is going to be a bit biased, but Mirror's Edge is one of my top ten games of all time. The combat is pretty stiff, but the level design and atmosphere is unrivaled, the feeling of actually running across buildings and being persued by the police is pretty intense, and it's just an all around beautiful game. The story is a little dry, but, for $5, I would recommend it to anybody.

76561198003985248.png

#4475 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

Can anyone sell me on Serious Sam? I'm tempted as an FPS fan, but it looks somewhat generic.

#4476 Kuma

Kuma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

You guys have been so helpful in aiding me through a couple of my purchases... thank you for that :D

PC stats:

Yeah, that should be fine

mgs.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#4477 spdronin

spdronin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

NOOOOOO.... missed my chance at The Witcher. Again. :cry:

What's the chances of that going on sale again?
Posted Image

#4478 Etae

Etae

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

Can anyone sell me on Serious Sam? I'm tempted as an FPS fan, but it looks somewhat generic.

16 player co-op.

#4479 Skizye

Skizye

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

I strongly recommend against Serious Sam. I bought it a while back when it was $10 in a weekend deal, playing through the first one was a chore and I never ended up playing through the second one. It has some of the most bland environments I've ever seen and after the first couple of big fights the battles start to become incredibly tedious and boring.

#4480 The Nephilim

The Nephilim

The Troll King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

Is Mirror's edge good? Most people seem to say it gets ruined by all the guard fighting etc since it takes away from the fun of the running and platforming.

#4481 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

NOOOOOO.... missed my chance at The Witcher. Again. :cry:

What's the chances of that going on sale again?

Being as it went on sale twice now in the last week... not good. sorry
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#4482 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Is Mirror's edge good? Most people seem to say it gets ruined by all the guard fighting etc since it takes away from the fun of the running and platforming.

Great game. It was a ton of fun playing through it and never firing a gun.

23480.png

#4483 Schizophriend

Schizophriend

Panda P.I.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

OOoh. Serious Sam pack includes both first and second encounter for $4. Damn. Might as well for that price. Can't see them getting much cheaper.

#4484 UltraMysteryDopplega

UltraMysteryDopplega

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

Looks like it's just 2 copies of serious sam for me. I want LP2 and Hawx 2 but the prices are too high. The console versions of those games have been on sale as cheap as $8 and $20, and the PC version keys can be had much cheaper on ebay than the $20 and $33 steam is asking.

For anyone interested in Serious Sam, the Gold pack isn't the best deal. You can get the HD double pack for $3 instead of $4 and save a dollar in exchange for the older games you won't play. You can also buy the HD games individually.

#4485 jazyje

jazyje

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

Can anyone comment on Killing FLoor's DLCs? Worthwhile to get?

#4486 captcrunch24

captcrunch24

I've had two problems.

1) Too much activity on my card, CC company flagged it.
2) Bought too many gifts, Steam wouldn't allow me to purchase anymore gifts.

My Amex card was flagged too. On Xmas Eve had Amex Security call me within 30 seconds from an attempted purchase. Explained that these were legit charges.

My card has had over 18 transactions on it over the past week from Steam thanks to all of the recommendations on this thread. ;)

Sometimes I go back after I think I am done for the day and buy something else because someone said it is worth it. So much for being a Cheap Ass Gamer...spent over $350 this week and I will be busy with these titles until next years sale. 8-)

L8tr...

#4487 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

I've never played any of the Neverwinter Nights games. Can anyone give me some advice or reasons to pick this one up? It looks interesting and I do enjoy RPGs.

fs_overall.png

#4488 Dohboy563

Dohboy563

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

PC stats:

Ok Kuma said it should work fine (thanks for the reply btw)

Anyone have another opinion?

#4489 svtcobrastang1984

svtcobrastang1984

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

OOoh. Serious Sam pack includes both first and second encounter for $4. Damn. Might as well for that price. Can't see them getting much cheaper.

Amazing Deal. I picked up both I think for about 8 dollars during the summer sale....very good for that price.

#4490 Hocus Cadabra

Hocus Cadabra

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but is Valve censoring bad Metacritic scores from some publishers or for some AAA games? For most games on Steam that have a Metacritic page, Steam lists the Metacritic score right on the store page. For some they don't. Example: Lost Planet 2 (which is a deal today) has a score of 64 (i.e. really bad) and it's not listed on the Steam page. That's a AAA game by a well-known publisher. Machinarium, which gets an 85, has it's score listed. It's a small indie game that was added to the store within 24 hours of Lost Planet 2. Why not list the Metacritic score for LP2?

#4491 Mike UFC

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

It's a balls to the wall old school type FPS with a fun sense of humor. If you like shooters where you have lots of weapons, 100s of enemies on screen and giant boss battles then go for it. The same type of fun also works against it because it's the same thing over and over again. Wave after wave of killing stuff. I actually preferred Serious Sam 2 over either of the episodes.

#4492 preston181

preston181

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

Got Killing Floor. Price was hard to pass up on. Glad I missed it the other day, because I got it even cheaper this time around.

#4493 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

I think they are just skin packs

23480.png

#4494 Woot1337

Woot1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

Ok Kuma said it should work fine (thanks for the reply btw)

Anyone have another opinion?

Kuma is right, the required specs for the game are very low (1.2ghz cpu and 512mb ram and 64mb graphics card). You will have no problems playing Killing Floor.

#4495 Mike UFC

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

They're just character skins. Get them to support the devs.

#4496 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

For anyone interested in Serious Sam, the Gold pack isn't the best deal. You can get the HD double pack for $3 instead of $4 and save a dollar in exchange for the older games you won't play. You can also buy the HD games individually.

Dude, you get some major CAG points there. I was hesitating because I didn't want those extra games, and I'll gladly forfeit them for an extra $1 in my pocket.

You have my gratitude, Mr. Dopplega.

#4497 abhinav

abhinav

"Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'm glad i waited on KOTOR! Just bought it for $2.50, this is one of my favorite games of all time. I would say Mass Effect is better but it does have the benefit of being a spiritual sequel to KOTOR. Everyone should own KOTOR.

Twitter: Onekumar
Now Playing:
T24ZDZQ.jpg2q1uoso.jpg

#4498 PikaPichu

PikaPichu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

It plays a lot like Doom 1 and 2, only with more emphasis on shooting and killing large hordes of enemies.

#4499 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Went ahead and picked up Serious Sam for myself and a few buddies. Should be pretty fun with four people. Glad I didnt bite on SS during the Summer sale when it was like $7.50 I believe.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#4500 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

I'm one of those people that think fondly of old style graphics. So while I say that, I only think fondly of it, but can't really stomach playing them. The graphics are extremely dated, and it felt more like playing a visual novel at points. You would get to some parts, then start reading text, make a choice, read more text, walk around, computer auto plays your character for you in combat, read more text. So, yeah, the story is good, but the graphics are dated. The reason I got this was because I remember how the glowing reviews for this game when it came out.

For Killing Floor, the idea of persistent upgrades appeal to me but the screenshots make it seem like there's only 2 types of enemies I'm going to be fighting against.

Yes, the graphics are dated since it was a last gen game. There are parts like that but, I feel the choices and the story as a whole makes it a game well worth playing. Same thing with Deus Ex, System Shock 2, etc.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image