Photo
- - - - -

Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14626 replies to this topic

#12631 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

Is it wise to wait until the last day to cash in tickets?

Doesn't seem to matter much as the items don't change. The only thing that may burn you is that I bought some things on sale not realizing that I could have just redeemed tickets for them. In particular the games with DLC like AI War and Guardians of Graxia
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#12632 Dalerax

Dalerax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Played the demo for Audiosurf. Never played a music game like that, enjoyed the heck out of it. At $1.50 it was an instant purchase for me.

#12633 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I'm not really a PC gamer but I want to try out Quake. I never played it. Would it be lame of me just to buy the original Quake since it's $2.49 right now? Or should I go with Quake 2?

Quake 2 is a little easier on the eyes. There's a demo for Quake 2 on Steam.

Honestly, if you're a first person shooter fan and can get over the fact that these are old games, $7.49 for the entire pack is a great deal. Q and Q2 both have solid singleplayer games, expansion packs, mods and maps. Q3 was built to be multiplayer but has a competent singleplayer ladder-style game. There's a lot there.

Regarding Laura Croft: Guardian of Light
LC: GOL gets overlooked a lot because people that dislike Tomb Raider games think it's yet another. Tomb Raider fans often balk because it's altogether a different game. Don't be either one of those - check it out for yourself! It's a very fun game, even in singleplayer.

#12634 Wolfmight

Wolfmight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

How about these Command and Conquer games?
Good deals or just go with one if any? Wish it was combined discount. Still cheap tho.

#12635 Doomtime

Doomtime

Victor von Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

Just CS Source for me today. Great price!

Has anyone had this problem? I had to re-install steam because it would not pop up at all. Now when I try to login it says it's "unable to connect to the steam network". I've taken down all my firewalls, deleted the blob registry that forums suggest, and the dmz is disabled and still cannot connect. It's driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it finally.

Edited by Doomtime, 07 July 2011 - 09:50 PM.

CAGFL: (187-31)

Doomtime1.png

#12636 anarchyburger

anarchyburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

most likely gonna pick up Rift cause the price is right for me. Downloading the trial to see how well it runs on my laptop first
GameCenter/Words with Friends: Rjsanchez88
Steam: AnrchyBurgr8t8
Origin(BF3): anarchyburger8t8
Feel free to add me, let me know you're a fellow CAG
Posted Image

#12637 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

Quake 2 is a little easier on the eyes. There's a demo for Quake 2 on Steam.

Honestly, if you're a first person shooter fan and can get over the fact that these are old games, $7.49 for the entire pack is a great deal. Q and Q2 both have solid singleplayer games, expansion packs, mods and maps. Q3 was built to be multiplayer but has a competent singleplayer ladder-style game. There's a lot there.

Thanks for the input. I'm just gonna grab the entire pack then.

#12638 martyback

martyback

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

most likely gonna pick up Rift cause the price is right for me. Downloading the trial to see how well it runs on my laptop first

You know RIFT was on sale for $4.99 for about a week before today (not anymore though)?

#12639 Wolfmight

Wolfmight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

Honestly, I'll probably just grab the Quake Pack for $7.49 and one of the Tomb Raiders...Anniversy probably.

Any ideas on the Command and Conquer games though? never played em, but I've heard mixed thoughts and that some are way better than others.

#12640 Newl

Newl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

yes, i played lara croft:gol (singleplayer) on the 360 and it's a very solid game. twin stick shooter, platformer, lite puzzles, at this price I'd recommend picking it up and I'm even considering double dipping and adding it to my steam library.
pswii60 pwner - aka Too Many Games, Too Little Time
Posted Image

#12641 killerthrust

killerthrust

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

You know RIFT was on sale for $4.99 for about a week before today (not anymore though)?

Yea but that 4.99 price did not come with the 1 month free subscription. He would have paid 4.99 for the base game and 15 for a subscription. He's paying 9.99 for the game and subscription

#12642 keroppilee

keroppilee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

so if you spend your tickets do you not get entries into the drawing at the end?

#12643 Wolfmight

Wolfmight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

so if you spend your tickets do you not get entries into the drawing at the end?

with everyone entered, your chances of getting something are certainly higher by spending them than entering them - but then there's that smaller chance of hitting it big as well. Personally with my luck at contests, I'd just spend em for something immediate instead to guarantee reward from them.

#12644 crzyboy88

crzyboy88

This is a witty title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Spending tickets do not decrease your entries into the sweepstakes.

Also, for those that are getting Quake for the multiplayer, look up google Quake Live. It's free and isn't full of people that will murder you immediately.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12645 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

Your total tickets are the number of entries you get into the drawing, no matter how many you spend.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12646 macschwag14

macschwag14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Just to elaborate on this because I see a lot of people saying it was a blast when they played on PS3 or whatever -- the co-op then (and on the console platform) was probably far more active than it is now on the PC. Basically you aren't going to find any co-op games unless you and some friends coordinate it yourself.

Yeah, the online co-op aspect of Guardian of Light has always been a bit of a bummer in that it's supposed to be amazingly fun but next to impossible to find anyone playing. I've never had success in finding an additional player on the PS3 (had it on day one too) or on the PC (since last Christmas). Maybe they should have CoDed it up a bit or something...

#12647 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

with everyone entered, your chances of getting something are certainly higher by spending them than entering them - but then there's that smaller chance of hitting it big as well. Personally with my luck at contests, I'd just spend em for something immediate instead to guarantee reward from them.

I don't think it's a either or situation. I think you get prizes AND get entered for the contest.

23480.png

#12648 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Or use couch co-op

Us PC gamers are isolated trolls -- we dare not go outside and meet people! :D

#12649 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

Us PC gamers are isolated trolls -- we dare not go outside and meet people! :D

True but I find that PC gamers are also often older and can play with a Spouse or significant other.

23480.png

#12650 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

I've bit on LC:GoL just for the hell of it. Never really liked Tomb Raider but this one looks more interesting. Can't really go wrong for 3,75 euros.

Any ideas on the Command and Conquer games though? never played em, but I've heard mixed thoughts and that some are way better than others.

I think any C&C fan would agree that Red Alert 1 and 2 are the best games out of this franchise. Sadly, those are not for sale one steam. If you had to pick just one out of the list then I think I'd advise to go for the regular C&C 3. The expansion is more fun but C&C3 is a good start. If you like generic basebuilding RTS that is. The cutscenes are a bit cheesy but the campaigns are quite fun.

#12651 dmdragon

dmdragon

Likes PIE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

Yea but that 4.99 price did not come with the 1 month free subscription. He would have paid 4.99 for the base game and 15 for a subscription. He's paying 9.99 for the game and subscription

Beat me to it :P

#12652 BitLooter

BitLooter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

For the people who don't know, the first Red Alert game can be downloaded free now. EA released it free to promote RA3. Get it here: http://forums.comman.../list/6967.page
Try SwagBucks, where you can earn prizes just for searching the web! I have earned more than $60 Amazon credit so far, and get about $10 more each month just for using it instead of Google.

#12653 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

I'm not really a PC gamer but I want to try out Quake. I never played it. Would it be lame of me just to buy the original Quake since it's $2.49 right now? Or should I go with Quake 2?

Quake 2 is superior, but both are ancient. As time goes by, it doesn't feel like FPSes change much year-over-year, but they do. Going back to play Quake or Doom or Hexen makes this very clear.

But everyone should take the opportunity to wield a BFG-9000 at some point in their lives.

#12654 Alien Spider

Alien Spider

VIGILANTE JUSTICE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

It's too bad Risen's price went up, I would have gotten that at $7.50.

ah-ha! So I wasn't just seeing things. I noticed the $7.50 price earlier but when I checked this afternoon it changed to $10 and some change. That's lame. I was on the fence @ $7.50 for >$10, no chance in hell. :/

I did pick up Sanctum though, looks like fun!

#12655 dmdragon

dmdragon

Likes PIE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Wow, just tried to run GTA IV on my VISTA machine and it says I need XP service pack 3 to play.... Ummm, ok, nice programming there rockstar

the fix is equally stupid.

#12656 Wolfmight

Wolfmight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Wow, just tried to run GTA IV on my VISTA machine and it says I need XP service pack 3 to play.... Ummm, ok, nice programming there rockstar

the fix is equally stupid.

hilarious. :applause: a bit more of a Vista joke than a Rockstar one. Vista has all kinds of humor like that.

I don't think it's a either or situation. I think you get prizes AND get entered for the contest.

Nice, that changes everything.

Posted Image

#12657 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

For the people who don't know, the first Red Alert game can be downloaded free now. EA released it free to promote RA3. Get it here: http://forums.comman.../list/6967.page

Thanks for sharing :D I've got The First Decade but it's a b*tch to run it properly.

I'm not sure of these work on Windows 7 though. But via that link I've found a download for C&C95 with a resolution fix for 1024x768 :D pretty neat and it works like a charm on W7 since I just tested it.

Check it

#12658 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Considering getting Street Fighting 4. I know Arcade Edition just came out but if I recall correctly, the 360/PS3 versions can get some DLC or something for 15$ to turn the base game into the Arcade edition. Since Arcade Edition is 40$, getting SF4 for 15+15$ dlc (if it exists for the PC version) would save 10$. Thoughts?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12659 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

Yeah. At this point, I'm guessing the Spectromancer DLC and Fate of the World will get my $$.

I'm planning to get Spectromancer as well. $4.99 for the game and all DLC? Yes, please.

And after all the talk about Fate of the World, I'm really intriguied by it. Not sure if I'll buy it at $4.99 or wait, what with all my other purchases. But it's definitely on my radar!

I've only played Tomb Raider Underworld recently, but one of the killers for me in the game was navigating underwater. Ugh, I hated that weird 3D map and the underwater controls.

When I was trying to decide which Tomb Raider game to by, the trailer on Steam which shows Lara underwater immediately killed all interest I had in Underworld. I'm not a fan of water stages anyway (a recent poll on Game Informer showed most people hate water stages), and combat and navigation underwater is something I'd rather avoid.

I ended up going with Anniversary, although it was a tough call. If I like it, I'll get Legend down the road.

I want fate of the world to go on sale damnit

Technically, it is on sale for $4.99.

#12660 SevereTireDamage

SevereTireDamage

Broken-$$$$ed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:46 PM

Considering getting Street Fighting 4. I know Arcade Edition just came out but if I recall correctly, the 360/PS3 versions can get some DLC or something for 15$ to turn the base game into the Arcade edition. Since Arcade Edition is 40$, getting SF4 for 15+15$ dlc (if it exists for the PC version) would save 10$. Thoughts?

This doesn't exist for the PC version, since they skipped Super SFIV on the PC entirely. The upgrade to AE was only for Super. Might as well just pick up Arcade Edition now, unless you can wait for the next time it goes on sale. (It didn't take that long for SFIV to get a Steam sale, IIRC - two months?)