Photo
- - - - -

Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14626 replies to this topic

#14581 TestType

TestType

model fetishist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

Cthulhu and Breath of Death made more revenue for the developer in one week on Steam than it did for an entire year+ on XBLIG. http://www.joystiq.c...of-death-vii-o/

Very, very cool. I really, really hope other developers take note and start releasing more XBLA games on PC, like Scott Pilgrim or any of the Double Fine games. There is absolutely no good reason those games aren't available on the PC, they would sell.
Posted Image

#14582 VindictiveGnome

VindictiveGnome

Cleared to engage.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

Is there car customization in GRID? Or do they just give you specific cars for certain challenges?

You can create a team and pick your team colors. That's about it. I played the Xbox360 when it first released. I just bought the PC version yesterday and it is vastly superior! The mods are awesome. To be able to knock the graphics quality up to ultra is awesome. The cars and reflections on the cars are nothing short of amazing. Also, I always hated that yellow tint effect, and a mod took care of that. I'm lovin' it. I forgot how good this game is. $5 is more than a steal, and all the money goes towards a good cause.

#14583 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

The more I try to advance in Dredmor, the less I like it. Maybe I'm just burnt out on roguelikes though.

As a fan of beat-em-ups, old school heavy hitter stuff, I can say that the Watchmens games aren't that good. For the price, you can nab one of them. Rorshach's BULL RUSH charge is satisfying and if the whole game had been about poundings as fun as that it would have been great. Sadly, it isn't.

#14584 SevereTireDamage

SevereTireDamage

Broken-$$$$ed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

Nice Civ V deal - wish it had been a little further away from the summer sale!

#14585 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

Nice Civ V deal - wish it had been a little further away from the summer sale!

I wish the DLC was 66% off, too. :/

#14586 Chewbacca's Abortion

Chewbacca's Abortion

The Midnight Creeper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:42 AM

Cthulhu and Breath of Death made more revenue for the developer in one week on Steam than it did for an entire year+ on XBLIG. http://www.joystiq.c...of-death-vii-o/

I wonder if this is because the amount that Microsoft takes from each sale compared to how much Steam takes, or the actual amount of sales.
Posted Image

#14587 jj5206

jj5206

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:45 AM

Civilization V is very tempting. But I am thinking of waiting until the giant sale later this year. Maybe it will be cheaper and also include the DLC...

#14588 aem

aem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

I bought Altitude during the December 2010 sale. I'd have bought it much sooner though if I'd known about it. I'm at over 400 hours now. So addicting and never gets old.

Unfortunately it is probably not fun for new players and a lot won't give it enough time. You will die a lot and probably will be playing in new player servers where no one really knows how to play. Game is awesome after you figure out what you are doing and playing with experienced players.

#14589 shiftdeleted

shiftdeleted

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Civ 5 Digital Deluxe Edition is $20 as well. (doesn't include all DLC- just Babylon and the soundtrack, etc.).

I'm going to try out Altitude it seems to have some potential.. but I hated the similar game on PSN (can't recall the name).

I also grabbed Grid at the last minute.. can't wait to try it out with some mods.
wreaking havoc, 2 keys at a time.

#14590 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

I wonder if this is because the amount that Microsoft takes from each sale compared to how much Steam takes, or the actual amount of sales.

It could also be that this was an x-box live indie game (where it's swamped with tons of other x-box live indie games), and well this was featured on the front page of the steam store.

I mean steam is one of the few platforms that showcase indie as well as retail games very well. Steam is just awesome.

Also Beat Hazard Ultra has internet Radio Support now. This feature is pretty amazing since not only do you not know what your gonna hear next, but every playthrough is 100% different and everything still works as amazing as a normal song off the library. Plus you can add your own stations. When you choose a station you can play between 4 and 20 mins.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#14591 dserafin1986

dserafin1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

For anyone that doesn't know, Civ V is awesome.

I am not a sim fan in the least, and fell in love wtih this game...It's a bargain at $17

#14592 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

Love Civ V one of my fave games. Got it the day it came out.

Any word on RuneSpell? Looks good.
3DS Friend Code:4382-1988-8437 QR Image http://yfrog.com/gzvezjyj
iOS GameCenter Name: BREVITY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#14593 Trelow

Trelow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

I
Also Beat Hazard Ultra has internet Radio Support now. This feature is pretty amazing since not only do you not know what your gonna hear next, but every playthrough is 100% different and everything still works as amazing as a normal song off the library. Plus you can add your own stations. When you choose a station you can play between 4 and 20 mins.

This may be the thing to tear me away from Dungeons of Dredmor for a while. Last.fm support I hope?
Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14594 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

This may be the thing to tear me away from Dungeons of Dredmor for a while. Last.fm support I hope?

You can't play Last.fm stations but I am pretty sure you can scrobble from beat hazard. When I opened up beat hazard last night it asked me if I want to import my Last.fm account.

I actually only tried internet radio last night but I am pretty sure it scrobbles.
Posted Image

#14595 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

Picked up Watchmen Pt 1 + Pt 2 and the CSTW / BOD7 2-pack. Sounds like it's better to pick up the CSTW / BOD7 2-pack via Steam as the developer gets more money. Price is certainly right as well.

#14596 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

The sales themselves

If you follow to see how he talks about the sales it's the number of sales that he gets along with the idea that 1 and 3 is expensive for an indie game while it's cheap for a PC game.

#14597 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like it's better to pick up the CSTW / BOD7 2-pack via Steam as the developer gets more money. Price is certainly right as well.

Yep, $1.50 for two RPG's even if they are not the best is a steal. Although these games are good.

I find it funny when you have companies like Capcom and their UMvC3 fiasco, then you have some indie developer offering two games for $3 or the Beat Hazard developer adding in things like internet radio and last fm support for free.

Tells you how times have changed.
Posted Image

#14598 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

Yep, $1.50 for two RPG's even if they are not the best is a steal. Although these games are good.

I find it funny when you have companies like Capcom and their UMvC3 fiasco, then you have some indie developer offering two games for $3 or the Beat Hazard developer adding in things like internet radio and last fm support for free.

That's why I gave Steam my money instead of XBL, as I have more than enough XBLM points to purchase both games.

Here's one article about the money differences with CSTW and BOD7:

http://arstechnica.c...es-on-steam.ars

#14599 GamerKingFaiz

GamerKingFaiz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

Eufloria is the daily deal today, 67% off at $4.99 from the original $14.99.

fs_lastplayed.png

#14600 GoJays2025

GoJays2025

I like cake.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

It's VERY slow to get a game started, but once the action starts there's a LOT of micromanagement to be done. Essentially you're simply waiting patiently for the first 20 minutes or so for your forces to build (maybe have some reading material nearby), then when you're ready to attack, suddenly it becomes this huge click-fest as you're giving directions to hundreds of little units at your disposal.

Visuals are pretty artistic and nice to look at, but if you're really playing the game then you're probably zoomed out anyway since it's so much easier to manage the battles when you have a clear view of the entire battlefield.
Get $2 after you spend $2 on Green Man Gaming by registering with my link. Thanks! :D

#14601 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

That's why I gave Steam my money instead of XBL, as I have more than enough XBLM points to purchase both games.

Here's one article about the money differences with CSTW and BOD7:

http://arstechnica.c...es-on-steam.ars

Nothing against XBLM but it seriously seems like Steam is a more welcoming platform for games/game developers who make quality stuff. Especially after reading that, I like Steam more as a platform.

Anyone try this? It looks interesting.
Posted Image

#14602 Monroeski

Monroeski

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

Capcom has probably already made more money on UMvC3 preorders (when they pay in full, I mean) than Zeboyd has made in the entire life Beat Hazard, or BoDVII and CStW combined.

The whole UMvC3 "fiasco" doesn't really matter much since most people complaining will buy it anyway. Capcom's basically been doing this for decades already. It's not really any different than all the DVD/BRD movies that have a tone of different releases a few months apart. People complain, but then buy anyway. It's a proven sales model.

#14603 SpecialK7225

SpecialK7225

Counting Cards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

I recommend both Eufloria and Altitude. Both are immensely fun. Eufloria is one of those games that is nice to look at and such and is also fun once you get far enough in. It does have its dull moments early on though.

Altitude is a great multiplayer game. I picked it up during the steam summer sale (along with a ton of other games) and haven't really played any other pc games since. If you find a server with some nice people who talk and such this game is an absolute blast.

76561198014449115.png

#14604 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Picked up Watchmen Pt 1 + Pt 2

I was thinking about buying them at the last minute but decided to hold off until it's $3ish for both games and not individually.

#14605 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

Capcom has probably already made more money on UMvC3 preorders (when they pay in full, I mean) than Zeboyd has made in the entire life Beat Hazard, or BoDVII and CStW combined.

Right but my point is that in today's world the market can support both and it's welcomed. Even if UMvC3 has already generated more money than those indie games, it's still nice to see that they can live and thrive on.
Posted Image

#14606 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

I also grabbed Grid at the last minute.. can't wait to try it out with some mods.

Seeing how I'm not computer savvy I've never used mods for a computer game. Are they hard to apply or does it depend on the game? I've read about how mods help out V:tMB and Torchlight, but I'm leery about trying to use them due to my poor computer skills.

#14607 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

I'm a fan of Eufloria. It's not perfect. But it's a nice chilled out little RTS. The sound is great. It takes a bit to get the hang of the mouse-only controls, but once you do, it's really quick and efficient.

The strategy (as noted earlier) is not very sophisticated - hunker down, develop a big force, then go overrun the AI. Very basic RTS strategy.

But boy is it fun to develop the "death star" pods and send them crashing into nearby planets, wiping out entire enemy fleets. That never gets old.

I paid $5 for this a couple of years ago on D2D, and played it over a few weeks as a "lunchtime" game. This is a perfect use for it- it's not a late-night high-strategy game.

Hope this helps someone.

#14608 intent

intent

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

Why is Eufloria only 66% off ($5.10) for me instead of 67%/$4.99?

#14609 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

Seeing how I'm not computer savvy I've never used mods for a computer game. Are they hard to apply or does it depend on the game? I've read about how mods help out V:tMB and Torchlight, but I'm leery about trying to use them due to my poor computer skills.

It depends on the game. For example, VtMB only requires you to download and run an .exe file, telling it your game directory. On the other hand, something like Oblivion, even with the mod managers available, is a pain in the ass because of things like loading order and compatibility between mods if you use more than one (and you'll want to use more than one).

On the plus side, every game I've seen with a large mod community also has great support to help you get them up and running, and mods really can make a game leaps and bounds better than it was.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#14610 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

Why is Eufloria only 66% off ($5.10) for me instead of 67%/$4.99?

I see $5.10, too. I don't think you're singled out. They don't usually do 67%, they usually do 66%.