Quality Wii game overload!

saadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Anyone else notice the sudden influx of awesome Wii games in the last little while?
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- NBA Jam
- Sonic Colors
- Metroid Other M (although many on the fence about it)
- Goldeneye
- Donkey Kong Country Returns and Epic Mickey soon

Where was this momentum 4 years ago? I guess Nintendo had to step it up once the casual gamer love-fest died down. But is it too late now?

There have always been good Wii games being released. I'm not sure why suddenly everyone is saying that the Wii finally has a bunch coming out at once.

Yeah, there's a lot of good Wii games coming out. About the only difference is that the good games are advertising a lot.

[quote name='saadman']
Where was this momentum 4 years ago? I guess Nintendo had to step it up once the casual gamer love-fest died down.[/QUOTE]

I think you answered your own question.

You also forgot the Mario Collection.

Hmm is epic yarn that good? I may have to look into it.

Have not got Metroid other M yet either... working on downsizing my games...

[quote name='blackjaw']Too late for me at least. Sold my Wii a few years back and have no interest in getting another one.[/QUOTE]

So... um... why exactly are you reading and commenting in the Wii forums?
:whistle2:k

[quote name='Snake2715']Hmm is epic yarn that good? I may have to look into it.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Oh my god, yes.

It's in my opinion as good as Super Mario Galaxy 2, if not better.

[quote name='Altanis']Yes. Oh my god, yes.

It's in my opinion as good as Super Mario Galaxy 2, if not better.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not as challenging, but certainly as fun, if not moreso.

[quote name='ejamer']So... um... why exactly are you reading and commenting in the Wii forums?
:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

because with a title like "Quality Wii Game Overload" a former Wii owner might be curious as to what the buzz is lately to see if one is missing out on something.

[quote name='blackjaw']Too late for me at least. Sold my Wii a few years back and have no interest in getting another one.[/QUOTE]

I'm the exact opposite. NSMBW piqued my interested last holiday season, Super Mario Galaxy looked great too, but it has been the recent lineup of stuff mentioned in the OP that finally convinced me that there were enough games on the system that I could justify buying it and I've been having a blast playing a few of them along with a handful of virtual console games in the last month or so. Seems like a great time to jump on board.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Maybe not as challenging, but certainly as fun, if not moreso.[/QUOTE]
It's definitely not as challenging, but I'm more readily placing Kirby's Epic Yarn as my GOTY for Wii than I am Super Mario Galaxy 2, that's for sure.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is just so.... amazing. It's not the difficulty, although some levels piss you off, but it's everything together.

I am playing Wii way more than my PS3 currently. Still working on Monster Hunter Tri. Close to finishing Mario Galaxy 2. I have a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy and I just finished the first Prime tonight. I have Kirby waiting for me. Will probably pick up DKCR for Xmas.

My GF and I still regularly play Mario Kart, too. Speaking of, she was a big fan of Mario Party 8, so given that, is Wii Party a good gift for her?

I'll be honest, I played some of Wii Party and I think it would have been better served as an add-on to the Wii bundle like Wii Sports Resort. It's really not that great, unless you're really interested in a bunch of mini-games.

I saw some promo videos for Pac Man Party, and that seemed closer to the Mario Party experience than Wii Party. I'll be picking up Pac Man Party in a couple of months when it's reduced to $20.

I'm still disappointed with most of these titles. Wii has never impressed me, except for the first time I played. I haven't tried epic yarn yet bu plan on it bu don't look forward to it.

If you are not enthused by Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey, or Donkey Kong Country Returns, or any of the Wii's smash hits, you probably are better off just selling your console and going back to the 360 or PS3.

There are at least three Wii games this year that can compete for GOTY across all consoles: Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Not to mention all of the other games that are A titles this year; if you can't find SOMETHING in the big hits that you like, the Wii obviously isn't for you.

[quote name='Altanis']If you are not enthused by Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey, or Donkey Kong Country Returns, or any of the Wii's smash hits, you probably are better off just selling your console and going back to the 360 or PS3.

There are at least three Wii games this year that can compete for GOTY across all consoles: Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Not to mention all of the other games that are A titles this year; if you can't find SOMETHING in the big hits that you like, the Wii obviously isn't for you.[/QUOTE]

The visuals of Epic Mickey prevented me from enjoying the game. I could barely see anything. I was afraid it was eventually going to show suicide mouse. The gameplay was ok but I got bored easy and the game was headace-inducing.

My experience with DKCR has been completely disatisfied. I hate this game with a passion. It is so boring. I love the classic donkey kong country games but I was just not impressed, and the game was aggrivating as frick when you actually try to collect things. DKC was a very dark, mysterious series with a serious soundtrack to go with, and the light family-friendly approach just killed it for me.

I plan on trying epic yarn only because I have faith that it is good, but for some reason I really just don't look forward to playing it. Most Kirby games keep my attention bu I just don't know about this one. Don't think it could possibly be GOTY material. There are a couple more games that have done better, including the unfortunately underrated Heavy Rain.

[quote name='pixi']DKC was a very dark, mysterious series with a serious soundtrack to go with, and the light family-friendly approach just killed it for me.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you weren't playing Call of DKC?

Still find it odd that so many people prefer to complain about what they don't like (or don't own) instead of talking excitedly about what they do enjoy... but whatever.

I also find there are more top-notch Wii games this year than I have time for - part of that is because of Monster Hunter Tri though. I can't remember the last time I put so many hours into a game and still felt drawn back for more. The excellent online play is a nice feature, but even considering only the single-player mode I've hardly been able to set the game down.

[quote name='crunchewy']Are you sure you weren't playing Call of DKC?[/QUOTE]

I wish call of duty was as serious as DKC

Well this holiday lineup is miles better than last year's, which was basically NSMB Wii and Wii Fit Plus. Didn't hurt console sales though.

It's funny that someone mentioned that they're all sequels. What are the best sellers on the 360 and PS3 right now? Call of Duty? Fallout NV? Assassin's Creed? Halo Reach? Not to mention that MS and Sony are advertising their motion control devices (and casual software) while Nintendo is releasing games for the core gamer.

EDIT: took another look at the OP's list, and NBA Jam was released on the 360/PS3 (thanks EA for the "console-exclusive" with no online), while Sonic Colors is getting rave reviews, but it may be too little too late for the Sonic brand. "Good Sonic game" is almost an oxymoron. ;)

[quote name='pixi']I'm still disappointed with most of these titles. Wii has never impressed me, except for the first time I played. I haven't tried epic yarn yet bu plan on it bu don't look forward to it.[/QUOTE]

Then sell it and shut up instead of whining to people who don't give a shit (and stop shitting up the thread).
I hate the 360, but I don't hang out on their forums bitching incessantly about the damned fragile piece of shit.

EDIT: man, that came off as mean. No patience for mtrolls, I guess.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Then sell it and shut up instead of whining to people who don't give a shit (and stop shitting up the thread).
I hate the 360, but I don't hang out on their forums bitching incessantly about the damned fragile piece of shit.

EDIT: man, that came off as mean. No patience for mtrolls, I guess.[/QUOTE]

I think it came off just fine because you're right. I just bought a red Wii when it was released because I wanted to play a handful of the games that were already out (like NSMBW and Mario Galaxy) and because this quarter had quite a few great-looking titles that I wanted to play. It was enough to justify buying it and I've been having a blast. My PS3 is great for shooters, action titles, RPGs and sports games but it really sucks as far as platformers go and I'm happy to finally have a Wii with some great platformer titles. Since I didn't have a Wii before I'd never really ventured into the Wii forums and I've been kind of surprised how many people just troll through Wii threads to say how much they hate the Wii. It's a game console and it has a library with a lot of good titles. Sure there's more crappy ones and sure the motion controls might not be for everyone but I don't understand how you can hate a console so much that it makes you hate games you would otherwise like. I also don't understand hating a console so much that you're constantly compelled to go into forums and threads you have no interest in and say how little interest you have in them.

[quote name='Altanis']I'll be honest, I played some of Wii Party and I think it would have been better served as an add-on to the Wii bundle like Wii Sports Resort. It's really not that great, unless you're really interested in a bunch of mini-games.[/QUOTE]

Forgive me, but aren't mini-games the point of Wii Party? (Which would mean it actually is great at what it is trying to do.)

Anyways, I've felt that the entire year has provided a nice stream of quality Wii games.

[quote name='pixi'] DKC was a very dark, mysterious series with a serious soundtrack to go with, and the light family-friendly approach just killed it for me.
[/QUOTE]

....what?

[quote name='kingtopher']I think it came off just fine because you're right. I just bought a red Wii when it was released because I wanted to play a handful of the games that were already out (like NSMBW and Mario Galaxy) and because this quarter had quite a few great-looking titles that I wanted to play. It was enough to justify buying it and I've been having a blast. My PS3 is great for shooters, action titles, RPGs and sports games but it really sucks as far as platformers go and I'm happy to finally have a Wii with some great platformer titles. Since I didn't have a Wii before I'd never really ventured into the Wii forums and I've been kind of surprised how many people just troll through Wii threads to say how much they hate the Wii. It's a game console and it has a library with a lot of good titles. Sure there's more crappy ones and sure the motion controls might not be for everyone but I don't understand how you can hate a console so much that it makes you hate games you would otherwise like. I also don't understand hating a console so much that you're constantly compelled to go into forums and threads you have no interest in and say how little interest you have in them.[/QUOTE]

The execs said that right at the begining as well... not that they thought people should have a wii instead of a 360 or playstation, but that they would have one of those and a wii...

I do. And its a good mix... I dont play terribly much in the summer and until mid decemer... but then I play a lot more than normal (for me) through March or so... I go in spurts some wii, some ps3, it just depends on what type of gaming I am doing.

I am skipping epic mickey however.. I just dont think its going to click for me. DKC is cool so far and I am looking forward to that with the wife again soon.

[quote name='thirdrose']Forgive me, but aren't mini-games the point of Wii Party? (Which would mean it actually is great at what it is trying to do.)

Anyways, I've felt that the entire year has provided a nice stream of quality Wii games.[/QUOTE]
Yes, that's the point of the game, but even Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort have mini-games that well outshine and outlast the ones in Wii Party.

18 holes of golf on Wii Sports will last for a decent amount of time. Wii Party's longest game lasts like 5 minutes.

[quote name='saadman']Anyone else notice the sudden influx of awesome Wii games in the last little while?
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- NBA Jam
- Sonic Colors
- Metroid Other M (although many on the fence about it)
- Goldeneye
- Donkey Kong Country Returns and Epic Mickey soon

Where was this momentum 4 years ago? I guess Nintendo had to step it up once the casual gamer love-fest died down. But is it too late now?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't call it an overload, but yeah, the Wii has really come into it's own of late.

Add in the three Mario Bros. games-really the rebirth of the series (along with the DS one) after an almost 20 year hiatus. The Munchables, Rabbids Go Home, some quality Gamecube rereleases for if you missed them, Super Paper Mario... the Wii has turned from an absolute joke into a legitimate game system, somehow or other.

of course I'd always rather be playing a current gen version of the same game, but still, I'd be buying a NES game if a good new one was released (actually that would be crazy cool) so obviously I'm willing to buy a Wii game if it's the only one.

Goldenye is the very first Wii FPS that I legitimately just plain want to play. Not because "hey, how weird, it's an FPS on the Wii", not because I'm someone who only owns a Wii, but because I want to play it (more than CODBLOPS) and the Wii's the only system with it.

I just picked up Epic Mickey...geez, just realized, OP, you didn't put that on there! That's Warren Spector's new game, which I bet people will buy the system for...I spent thousands on a crazy high end PC just to play Deus Ex totally maxed out.

But yeah, just picked up Epic Mickey, Sonic Colors, and Goldeneye yesterday. I'll probably hate Donkey Kong since it's supposed to be hard, but it's something I'd like to try at least. Playing Metroid: Other M right now (which is probably going to have me stuck somewhere-almost gave up on this damn bee boss fight) but in the moments I'm not fighting an endless stream of bosses, the REST of the game is actually a lot of fun so far. I like the exploration, I like the story (yeah, really! so far at least). The control except for having to use the camera for missiles is even fine.

I still want a real Metroid 5 though...2D obviously.

Hey...Retro could maybe do that if Nintendo of Japan refuses to...

[quote name='pixi']I'm still disappointed with most of these titles. Wii has never impressed me, except for the first time I played. I haven't tried epic yarn yet bu plan on it bu don't look forward to it.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way. I don't enjoy many games on Wii. At first it was alright,but they try to force you to use motion controls in games it isn't really needed. I did enjoy the new Donkey Kong Country and most of the Mario games. Other M is just so so.

Was there a deleted post here? Well anyway, yeah, I hate games that force you to use motion controls. It works okay occasionally, but mostly I hate it. Luckily more and more they're just ignoring it or using it for a small gameplay element where it doesn't matter.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Then sell it and shut up instead of whining to people who don't give a shit (and stop shitting up the thread).

EDIT: man, that came off as mean. No patience for mtrolls, I guess.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't trolling that bad. Relax SuperPhillip. ;)
I felt the same way at first. It does have a couple of good games,but I'm still not crazy over it. I do like it way better than I use to did. At first I was a big Wii Hater. Now I really like the new Donkey Kong Country. Mario games are great and Kirby was great too. Plus I liked
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. M:Other M was just ok to me nothing special.
I agree with wolfpup some games really don't need the motion controls. Donkey Kong Country would have been even better without them. Same goes for New Super Mario Bros Wii.

[quote name='jman619']
He wasn't trolling that bad.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It seems as the years go by this crowd gets more sensitive by the day. It seems that anymore, any Wii related post that has a slight negative tone to it will bring out someone who takes it as a personal affront to their gaming sensibilities.

[quote name='Corvin']Exactly. It seems as the years go by this crowd gets more sensitive by the day. It seems that anymore, any Wii related post that has a slight negative tone to it will bring out someone who takes it as a personal affront to their gaming sensibilities.[/QUOTE]

Agreed as well. I bought one only this year because I was waiting for a good deal (and the black system to be released here, took'em long enough) and for their to be enough games to justify a purchase. Even though for the past few years I've been picking up an odd title here and there on the cheap.

Unlike some people I was seriously underwhelmed by the E3 Nintendo show. I don't have any great affinity for Kirby, Goldeneye or DK I thought they were nothing more than cash-ins, with Zelda looking like more of the same we've already seen for how many years now. The only game that had me somewhat interested was Mickey, and that was ONLY because of Warren Spector, otherwise I'd prefer a Donald game personally for anything Disney related.

Nintendo presented me with this...

vlcsnap2010061607h46m19.png

And to tell you the truth only Zelda and Metroid excited me any with Mickey coming in a distant 3rd. Otherwise not one of the others did much for me. I was never a big fan of DKC or Kirby, so that was meh to me, and the 3DS isn't something that's on my must buy list either, so Kid Icarus, is cool and all, but wrong place (or system) and wrong time.

This isn't a anti-Nintendo rant, I'm just not wanting to see them rely on Mario, Zelda and Pokemon so much, is all.

Even though E3 has come and go and pretty much every game in that picture has come out and to mixed reviews, what's next is what I ask? As far as what they have upcoming, I see Zelda and nothing past that...

Everyone keeps saying Wii 2...I don't think so, not at least until 2012. But what I'd personally like to see is Nintendo get behind a lot of solid titles that they haven't announced for release outside of Japan, that I believe could sell well given the right marketing (that's hit or miss here as of late) and exposure to make it sell well.

Two games in particular are The Last Story and Xenoblade (Monando :whistle2:s please let it NOT be called that) that have the potential to do really well and give Nintendo some RPG cred that the other two systems won't be having next year with no Final Fantasy or anything else major on the horizon (I know FF XIV and Mass Effect 2 are coming to PS3, but they won't have as big of an impact as say FF Versus XIII) and could keep people's interest in Nintendo's system. It's their loss (in sales) and ours (in not being able to play them localized) if they don't release them over here, but I think they'll do fairly well if they do get them out then support them with a campaign to get the word out.

So while I think Nintendo has had a decent year on the Wii other than Mario Galaxy 2 leading things off in the beginning of the year, the "big hits" they presented above pretty much were loaded toward the end of the year have been hit and miss in both quality and generatating excitement for the people who have dismissed the Wii at this point.

Anyway that's how I see things.

Wow... that's what's considered a quality game overload? The past few years on the Wii have been dreadful so I guess it doesn't take much, huh?;)

I'll say this... Epic Yarn is one of the best games I've played on the Wii. It's easily my Wii Goty (over the great but overrated Galaxy 2) and is one of my overalll GotY contenders. DKC is an awesome game (only played a bit) too and the silhouette level left me stunned.

Other than that, there's been quite a few decent games on the Wii this year but nothing to sing about. Goldeneye was nothing special and Epic Micky was really disappointing (glad my brother bought those:lol:).

Anyone that thinks that there's nothing amazing about the Wii lineup this year does not care about some of the best games ever.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is one of the best games I've ever played. Period. Super Mario Galaxy 2 also is pretty damn good.

I agree. I have played the wii more lately than I have since I first got it and got tired of big head bowling. So far the standouts for me are SMG2 and Kirby. Kirby is awesome and I'm not a huge Kirby fan -- my only complaint was that the game is rather short and I was finished it in a weekend. I have DKC but haven't been playing it much (sidetracked by a PS3 game) and am also going to pick up Epic Mickey (and Zelda but I *am* a big Zelda fan).

I'm sorry to hear Epic Micky has some issues, but still, Warren Spector's earned a free pass on a game from me :)

Man, and Sakaguchi's next game is Wii exclusive too? Maybe Ken Levine's game after Bioshock Infinite will be? Then Mass Effect 3 switches platform ;)

[quote name='Vinny']Wow... that's what's considered a quality game overload? The past few years on the Wii have been dreadful so I guess it doesn't take much, huh?;)

I'll say this... Epic Yarn is one of the best games I've played on the Wii. It's easily my Wii Goty (over the great but overrated Galaxy 2) and is one of my overalll GotY contenders. DKC is an awesome game (only played a bit) too and the silhouette level left me stunned.

Other than that, there's been quite a few decent games on the Wii this year but nothing to sing about. Goldeneye was nothing special and Epic Micky was really disappointing (glad my brother bought those:lol:).[/QUOTE]

Ooh. A pathetic troll attempt. How cute.

Wii lineup this year might not be "quality overload", but it's been a hell of a lot better than what either HD system offered. PS3 and 360 were both very disappointing... but then, that's pretty much par for the course. Neither console has more than a half dozen games I care about.

bread's done
Back