SPLIT/SECOND (360/PS3) is $19.99 with free shipping thru 11/29

I got it at the same price a few weeks ago on a stealth sale at BB. Extremely addictive. I'm about halfway through the career mode and loving it, but I hear the AI gets really dirty in the last two episodes?

It is fun in short bursts and pretty good online. Selection of cars is pretty lame especially since the initial rides suck. The rubber band AI annoys me the most about this game. Still recommend despite the flaws.

[quote name='WTFer']Good deal, but I'm hoping amazon matches the price.[/QUOTE]

It was 19.99 as a Lightning Deal the other day, picked it up with Bayonetta.

Love, love, love this game (I only get into about one racing game a year). Started playing about a week ago and am still loving the Season mode. AI seems fine to me. Not sure why people wouldn't like it unless they were expecting a sim. Glad I didn't let the lackluster demo keep me from getting this game.

[quote name='Goodeats']debating whether I should pick it up on pc, or 360. Anyone know of any differences between the two?[/QUOTE]

Digital Foundry does a great job of breaking down the differences.

I agree that this game is really fun and infuriating at times. Online race matching was kind of weak when I was playing but maybe that's because few people play/ed this game?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='knightimages']It is fun in short bursts and pretty good online. Selection of cars is pretty lame especially since the initial rides suck. The rubber band AI annoys me the most about this game. Still recommend despite the flaws.[/QUOTE]

I still think the rubber banding in S/S probably got blown out of proportion. I've finished some races up to 7 seconds ahead -- I'm almost certain the rubber banding here is limited to just making the AI drive really well and not actually turboing or teleporting.

[quote name='Goodeats']debating whether I should pick it up on pc, or 360. Anyone know of any differences between the two?[/QUOTE]

I was doing the same. In that, I'd pay $10 for the PC version to have a high end racer on my PC, but not $20 after I just bought Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit for PS3 (and have my trusty $5 copy of Burnout: Paradise City for 360 I got recently). Thing is, I read the user reviews on S/S at Best Buy and elsewhere. What I kept reading was, "No matter what controller, no force feedback." And if you use a steering wheel, "No matter what you use, it sees it as a controller and responds poorly."

Those kept me from buying it. Perhaps if it had been Steam, I might have chanced it, but having more boxes and DVD's to track, I don't relish it for a game that sounds horribly incomplete. It goes without saying the online will be subpar if it's on PC and it's a PC port of a non-PC franchise. That's a shame, but that's the rule (though there are a sparing few exceptions).

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I was doing the same. In that, I'd pay $10 for the PC version to have a high end racer on my PC, but not $20 after I just bought Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit for PS3 (and have my trusty $5 copy of Burnout: Paradise City for 360 I got recently). Thing is, I read the user reviews on S/S at Best Buy and elsewhere. What I kept reading was, "No matter what controller, no force feedback." And if you use a steering wheel, "No matter what you use, it sees it as a controller and responds poorly."

Those kept me from buying it. Perhaps if it had been Steam, I might have chanced it, but having more boxes and DVD's to track, I don't relish it for a game that sounds horribly incomplete. It goes without saying the online will be subpar if it's on PC and it's a PC port of a non-PC franchise. That's a shame, but that's the rule (though there are a sparing few exceptions).[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the info. 360 on amazon for me then!

Maybe at 9.99, but not at 19.99. I got it several weeks back at 19.99 and it gets old pretty fast. Online was pretty dead and you need to complete all the single player to even have a chance at competing online. Just has a budget game feel to it and never thought it was even remotely close to being a 59.99 launch title.

Definitely worth it. I bought it at this price back when Best Buy had it on sale. I'm not even a big racing fan, buy I loved it.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']I hated Pure.. so I'll be staying away from this one.[/QUOTE]

What? It's nothing like Pure... at all.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']I hated Pure.. so I'll be staying away from this one.[/QUOTE]

It's weird, but as different as trick-heavy ATV racing is from explosion-heavy car racing, Pure and Split/Second do feel a lot alike. They really do have a certain Blackrock arcade racer feel to them.

So, if you hated Pure, you'll probably hate S/S, but if you loved the earlier game (as I did) you will get a lot of fun out of this game.

I have played and completed the game (not to perfection), but got to the game credits. The rubber band AI is very noticeable in the later episodes of the game (11, 12, 13). I got through the game, but sometimes it felt like an ordeal.

Say for instance you are up 4 seconds ahead of the competition and you are nearing the finish line, out of nowhere the entire pack of cars comes up and has a magical burst of speed when you are maxing out your top speed.

Another example, say you are in first place and one of the AI cars triggers a regular event, you have a high chance of being placed at the back of the pack having to work your way up again almost Mario Kart style. Sometimes finishing first in a race felt more like luck than skill.

Most trophies are very easy to attain, but there are a couple that are incredibly hard to achieve.

In all, I would not shell out $60 for this game. $20 or below is a good price for it.

bread's done
Back