CAG Gran Turismo 5 [CAG Race Night - Now Sundays at 6PM PST!]

j-cart

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
cagrace.png

Welcome to CAG Gran Turismo 5 Race Nights!

To accommodate everyone, the best schedule is to have this every week. To add to the fun, once a month we will hold a competitive race with prizes involved (I'll update this with more info once we get the ball moving).

I encourage everyone to join in regardless of skill.

Race lineup for Sunday, October 30th @ 6 PM PST/9 PM EST:

• Kart (standard) on Kart Space I - 7 laps
  • 475PP ANYTHING w/Racing Soft on Rome - 5 laps (no RMs, no power limiting more than 75%)
  • 560PP Caterham w/Racing Hard on Eiger Short - 5 laps
  • 575PP ANYTHING w/Racing Soft on Trial Mountain - 3 laps (no RMs, no power limiting more than 75%)
  • 550PP 4WD w/Racing Soft on Spa-Francorchamps - penalties weak, boost high, damage light - 4 laps

Racers CAG//PSN (when adding put CAG in message):

SynGamer//SynGamer
Smthng//smthng
Ace_Defective//Natural_Defect
Bearhawk72//Bearhawk72
TctclMvPhase//TctclMvPhase
Mad39er//Mad39er
j-cart//j-cart
m_d_amore//mdam0re
MisterBee//MisterB_66
Brownjohn//Ashimbo
daphatty//DaPhatty
Invin//Invin26
Dr. Strangepork//ChizelMonkee
Chuplayer//Chuplayer
Yanksfan//MattNY
jmbreci//evilwon
Jville808//Jville808
GTmaster39//DCstarClassic
jello44//jello4444
Count//MGO_Count
Anhmeister//Stupid_Dirty_Azn
jughead//jugsta
chopper731//chopper731
nfs3freak//d367ruc70
Josh5890//Josh5890

Listed generally in order of who is most likely to be there... if you want to add a current racer to your friend list, you're better off starting near the top of the list. Be sure to put "CAG GT5" somewhere in your request.

Point rules:

The "official" races will be used to name a clear winner of GT5 Race Night. The winner gets to determine the following weeks official race themes and tracks (and hopefully more prizes down the road!).

The winner will be determine by whoever finishes with the lowest score. 1st place receives Zero points, 2nd place receives 2 points, Third receives 3 points and so on.

At the end of the five races the points will be added up, whoever has the lowest amount will be our winner.

Update (9/22/11):
Added race list for 9/25, updated racers
Update (12/29/10):
-CAG list updated

Update (12/22/10):
-Updated results on 2nd post
Update (12/10/10):
-CAG list updated
Update (12/8/10):
-Another CAG to list
Update (12/7/10):
-Results Blog (in 2nd post)
-Updated first post with rules
Update (12/4/10):
-Official race date set
-prize listed in 2nd post
Update (12/2/10):
-Add another CAG to list.
Update (12/1/10):
-Add more CAGs to list.
Update (11/30/10):
-Add more CAGs to list.
Update (11/29/10):
-New logo made!

Last edited by a moderator:
March 6th 6PM PST Race:

Natural_Defect 3+0+0+3+0= 6
j-cart 2+1+1+1+3= 8
Mad39er 4+2+3+0+1=10
DCstarClassic 0+3+4+2+5=14
jello4444 1+4+2+4+4= 15
SynGamer 5+5+5+5+2=22

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=19605

CAG Race Night Dec. 28th

MisterB_66 2+4+3+6+0=15 (Natural_Defect gave it to Mister_B)
Natural_Defect 0+0+0+0+2=2
DCstarClassic 4+2+2+3+5=16
smthng 5+3+4+4+4=20
SynGamer 3+5+5+2+6=21
d367ruc70 6+6+6+5+3=24

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=18038

SynGamer 0+0+3+7+0= 10
jello4444 3+2+2+2+3= 12
DCstarClassic 5+3+4+0+4= 16
evilwon 2+4+6+6+2= 20
Mad39er 6+6+0+5+5= 22
MisterB_66 4+5+5+4+6= 24
j-cart 7+7+8+3+7= 32
ChizelMonkee 8+8+7+8+8= 39

DCstarClassic: 0+0+2+4+0=6

ChizelMonkee: 2+5+0+3+3=13
jello4444: 5+4+5+0+2=16
SynGamer: 4+2+4+2+5=17
MisterB_66: 3+3+3+5+4=18

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=17891

I'd say aim for once a week, that way people who can't make it, say next week, still have a chance to have some fun with CAGs.

Poll editing is apparently a nightmare. CheapyD has to do it I believe. I'm in, should be fun to race my lightweights.

You can add me now, even though I don't have the game. I made it very clear to my wife that this was the #1 thing I wanted for Christmas.

PSN ID: Ashimbo

I could see myself doing twice a month. I'm also going to sign up for GT Academy so I know I'll be online frequently.

EDIT: PSN: DaPhatty

For prizes, winner could receive an in-game car (or something else?)...this would be inexpensive and a nice little treat. Think pink slips...oh wait, that just gave me another idea :D

EDIT: Have we thought of what night(s) and time(s) would be best? I'm all for Saturday or Monday nights, but that's just me. I'd suggest not scheduling CAG nights on Wed. and Fridays though, so as not to compete with Black Ops.

I don't mind spawning off some Chrome Line or the Gamestop cars, provided I can do that on my game share account for the first few prizes, since you can't sell them they make perfect prize cars.

Depends a bit on days and time, but I am down.

MattNY is my online ID. I am *terrible*, so only play with me if you want an easy win. ;)

Updated players list.

CAG GT5 Race Night ideas:
-Winner over the course of 5 races will get to pick their theme of choice for the following week (or desired date) .
-Once the gifting cars starts working, expect the winner to get a cool car (and maybe losers get some crappy cars!).
-I do have some other ideas as prizes, waiting to get some swag in. Might get some people to take the race seriously.
-CAG race season. We could make it however long or short we want. Could opt for a good size prize for the winner.

Race themes:
-kart race (duh!)
-HP limits
-Race modded cars only
-Manufacture specific (like chevy's only)
-NASCAR!
-Team racing (2 people per team, score will be kept collectively. So do whatever it takes to win together!)
-NASCAR TEAM RACING!
-Over take challenges (one person gets in a fast car and needs overtake everyone within a lap)
-F1 (once we all get there lol)
-engine type only (FF, FR, MR)
-Rally
-Drag races?
-of course, Anything goes!

I know people got more. There is a ton of things we can do and winner gets to pick the theme!

Thinking of doing Monday nights. I can't change the poll, so if there is good amount that can commit (6-8) then we do the first race night next week Dec. 6.

See what happens when you think you've posted in a thread. Not sure how often I can make it, but it would be fun.

Nascar - rubbin' is racin'
Rally - ditto....

For prizes, I think we should wait until they un-glitch starts, especially rolling starts. If I had a penny for every time cars did stupid crap before the race started, I'd be able to buy something off of the dollar menu.

[quote name='Chuplayer']For prizes, I think we should wait until they un-glitch starts, especially rolling starts. If I had a penny for every time cars did stupid crap before the race started, I'd be able to buy something off of the dollar menu.[/QUOTE]
What exactly is glitched about the starts? I didn't run into an issue with my minimal playing experience online.

[quote name='Mad39er']What exactly is glitched about the starts? I didn't run into an issue with my minimal playing experience online.[/QUOTE]

Cars start out spinning out in rolling starts. I saw some cars starting sideways on a regular start, too.

Updated first post with more CAGs.

I haven't ran into any problems with online, but no worries. The first race we have will be a trial and error no doubt.

/edit: Lets plan for Dec. 6th 7pm PST as our first race.

[quote name='j-cart']/edit: Lets plan for Dec. 6th 7pm PST as our first race.[/QUOTE]

Count me out. Can't do Mondays due to wrestling, and can't do 10PM EST on Sunday-Thursday. I get up too early to go to work.

GT Academy registration starts on the 6th, I'd say shoot for another day because online will be slammed that day. If only for the simple reason that registration may put them online, because that's what I'd do right after signing up.

Yeah, sure why not.

Generally weekends are bad for me though, since I have to work.

Most nights are fine. (provided there is no Flyers game)

Okay it seems Dec. 6th is a a bad night, then how about Tuesday Dec. 7th?

No other game seems to have Tuesday night on lock. If a good amount can do this, then we will keep it.

/update first post: with more CAGs.

[quote name='j-cart']Okay it seems Dec. 6th is a a bad night, then how about Tuesday Dec. 7th?[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me if it's not too late by EST standards.

Alright, I have added quite a few of you to my friends list.

Dec, 7th at 7pm PST will be CAG GT5 race night. There might also be a nice little surprise to everyone that just shows up to race night (you don't even need to win!). More details on this will be updated tonight.

Looks like I'm out then. World of Warcraft Cataclysm releases on Tuesday. I definitely won't be playing Gran Turismo that day.

I will try to be on Tuesday night. 10PM isn't too bad so long as the race doesn't last more than an hour. I have to pull a 12 next Wednesday so I likely won't be on past 11PM EST.

I'll probably be in for an hour or so. While I am all about having fun, if we want to have a semi-serious race, we should do something like "unmodified" or "lightweight" where driving skill & course knowledge will pay off far more than any car mod. Some ideas would be a Honda Prelude/Civic unmodified race or using that mm-K Cup car (is that the right name for it?). Just an idea or two....

[quote name='jmbreci']I'll probably be in for an hour or so. While I am all about having fun, if we want to have a semi-serious race, we should do something like "unmodified" or "lightweight" where driving skill & course knowledge will pay off far more than any car mod. Some ideas would be a Honda Prelude/Civic unmodified race or using that mm-K Cup car (is that the right name for it?). Just an idea or two....[/QUOTE]
I'm all for an mm-R race around a nice and tight track where you can easily end up off the road but are still small enough to post lap times under 90 seconds(ie: face paced ackshun). I figure grab a couple of themes from the beginner's set of races this week like FF only, FR only, Lightweight(under 900), Lightweight under 150 hp. I'm not organizing it but I think it'd be cool.

@j-cart
Do you need a host? I know GT5 states my bandwidth being very high, just thought I'd offer if there are any issues.

Have we come to a conclusion as to what kind of car we need. I wanna make sure I'm not rushing at the last minute to get into a race.

To keep the race leveled and simple for our first night, these will be the following rules for tuesday night:

We will have five official races:
-kart racing (5 laps)
-405hp and under (no mods)
-Nissan only (405hp under and no mods applies here)
-Honda only (215hp under and no mods applies here)
-Anything goes!

Haven't made up my mind on the tracks yet.

There can be more races than just these five. The "official" races will be used to name a clear winner of GT5 Race Night. The winner gets to determine the following weeks official race themes and tracks (and hopefully more prizes down the road!).

The winner will be determine by whoever finishes with the lowest score. 1st place receives Zero points, 2nd place receives 2 points, Third receives 3 points and so on.

At the end of the five races the points will be added up, whoever has the lowest amount will be our winner.

There will be of course open races to have for fun, so start making some money and start favoriting your cars so you can use them for online races!

(this will be updated on the second post)

[quote name='j-cart']To keep the race leveled and simple for our first night, these will be the following rules for tuesday night:

-kart racing (5 laps)
-Honda only (405hp under and no mods applies here)
-Anything goes![/QUOTE]
I'm not quite understanding the no mods part. Are we talking no power mods, no tuning mods or what? I haven't used the Racing Modification option yet so I'm not sure if that's what may be referred to here.

As far as the set up options I've seen, you can restrict HP, weight and tires. Personally I have cars I can't unmod because you can't undo engine mods or lightening. I can see limiting tires to Sports soft for instance since Racing tires can make a huge difference that people aren't prepped for.

Mods meaning anything you paid extra on your car. You can tune your ratios all you want, no hp upgrades or the such.

I figured that if it is limited it to 405hp, the cars you buy will be relatively cheap in GT standards (40k to 120k tops). Also this will be just fair standard for our first race night.

As for tires, we should all be using the same type.

[quote name='j-cart']To keep the race leveled and simple for our first night, these will be the following rules for tuesday night:

-kart racing (5 laps)
-Honda only (405hp under and no mods applies here)
-Anything goes!

Haven't made up my mind on the tracks yet.
[/QUOTE]

Not to gripe, but you may want to change 405hp and under to something more reasonable if you want newer people to play, especially if you are going no mods. That means a Civic could be racing against a NSX. I'm not saying HP = win, but it certainly will help if there is any sort of lengthy straight on the track. I was thinking the categories should be something like

The HP limit could totally be changed.

I believe 405hp is a good number and also any car in this range would be decently priced. I want to keep a first few races limited to only sports cars. Of course there is a fifth and final race that is open to anything! also you could just win it all and set your own rules.

Now that I think about, the Honda 405hp and under would most likely be a NSX race. To keep it competitive would be like a 215 hp and under race.

No matter what we set, there will be something there to debate.

Some people already have some sick cars and some won't. I will change the Honda race to 215hp and under, but not the Nissan or the open 405hp and under races. Nissan 405hp and under allow for a lot of different Skylines/Silvas to be used but also limiting the current GTR from the list.

There is also a kart race, everything is fair in that one.

Remember though, just for showing up everyone is gonna get a Stealth Mclaren F1 from me.

(updated 2nd post with race details)

[quote name='j-cart']Mods meaning anything you paid extra on your car. You can tune your ratios all you want, no hp upgrades or the such.

I figured that if it is limited it to 405hp, the cars you buy will be relatively cheap in GT standards (40k to 120k tops). Also this will be just fair standard for our first race night.

As for tires, we should all be using the same type.[/QUOTE]
Well there's the rub, Japanese cars in particular are limited to 276 HP most times if they're not race/rally spec cars. There is also no tuning anything extra, since no mods doesn't allow you to tune anything except brake balance. They'll go up to like +300 with an oil change if they're brand new but rally and race spec cars are really the only ones in that 405 range that would really unbalance it with the no mods requirement since they tend to come with suspension mods already.

[quote name='jmbreci']Not to gripe, but you may want to change 405hp and under to something more reasonable if you want newer people to play, especially if you are going no mods. That means a Civic could be racing against a NSX. I'm not saying HP = win, but it certainly will help if there is any sort of lengthy straight on the track. I was thinking the categories should be something like

I updated the Honda race to be 215hp and lower. I think this would be a much more interesting race than a 405hp and under.

Well if you happen to win the first 4 races, you would just need to place 4th and higher in the final anything goes race!

This first race is gonna be an experiment. We will most likely have some hiccups, but hopefully it will be some fun hiccups.

Few other settings to discuss about too:
-penalty system (can be set to: none, low, high)
-driving line allowed or not allowed
-weather options
-amount of laps

any others settings to discuss?

/edit: For those that are low on cash, if you haven't complete the Kart racing challenges. They are extremely easy and net you some good amount of credits. The NASCAR challenges will easily put you well over 200k.

[quote name='j-cart']Few other settings to discuss about too:
-penalty system (can be set to: none, low, high)
-driving line allowed or not allowed
-weather options
-amount of laps

any others settings to discuss?.[/QUOTE]
I'm of the camp that the driving line should stay on and weather be kept dry, laps I'd say 3 for a 3 mile track, 5 for a smaller one. I'd like to see Tsukuba Circuit(License test B5 track) and Cape Ring Periphery personally. Trial Mountain is always a good one and Grand Valley Speedway is great(I might fly my Supra again!). I like the hairpins with some speed without being obnoxiously over punishing, tracks where you don't really get to go 150+ mph. Do announce the tires before the race though.

As for penalties, as long as nobody really like completely d-bags anybody else, I don't really see a need. People go off track, people bump but if it becomes poor sportsmanship, solve it with a kick. The penalties are going to hurt people who aren't 100% used to a stock set up and go off track.

bread's done
Back