Anime sale at Amazon

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Saw this at SD, thought it was worth mentioning. Lots of great prices here.\\

Thanks to WTK for some updated tiles:
[quote name='WTK']Here are a few more titles including the previously mentioned FMA: Brotherhood.

[/QUOTE]

Ghost in the Shell: Season 1 (Anime Legends) - $22.99

Venus Versus Virus: The Complete Series S.A.V.E. - $7.50

Virus Buster Serge Box Set - $18.99

Tactics the Complete Series - $23.49

Glass Fleet Box Set S.A.V.E - $12.49

Gigantor: The Collection Vol. 2 (1965) - $15.99

Kodocha: The First Season (2010) - $13.99

Kodocha: The Second Season (2010) - $13.99

Galaxy Railways: Box Set S.A.V.E. - $12.49

Macross Plus - The Collection (Two-Disc Set) (1995) - $17.99

Shattered Angels: The Complete Collection (2010) - $9.49

School Rumble: First Semester S.A.V.E. - $13.49

School Rumble: Second Semester S.A.V.E. - $12.99

Aquarion: Complete Series Box Set S.A.V.E. (2010) - $12.99

Moeyo Ken: The Complete Series S.A.V.E. - $8.49

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Complete Second Season (Viridian Collection) - $20.99

Solty Rei Box Set S.A.V.E. - $12.49

Kanon: Complete Series Box Set S.A.V.E. (2010) - $12.99

Air TV: The Complete Series S.A.V.E. - $9.49

Street Fighter II V: The Collection - $17.99

Heat Guy J: The Complete Series Box S.A.V.E. - $13.49

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, but some of those series must look like ass... for example, they took Heat Guy J from 7 discs down to 4.

I wonder how badly the quality suffers.

[quote name='zenintrude']Interesting, but some of those series must look like ass... for example, they took Heat Guy J from 7 discs down to 4.

I wonder how badly the quality suffers.[/QUOTE]

I doubt the quality has changed at all. The total runtime is 650 minutes across those 4 discs. They could easily fit that on 4 discs without losing any quality. They likely just stretched out the individual volumes to get more $$$

[quote name='zenintrude']Interesting, but some of those series must look like ass... for example, they took Heat Guy J from 7 discs down to 4.

I wonder how badly the quality suffers.[/QUOTE]

They're also going from single-layer to dual-layer discs, so there shouldn't be any reduction in quality.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I doubt the quality has changed at all. The total runtime is 650 minutes across those 4 discs. They could easily fit that on 4 discs without losing any quality. They likely just stretched out the individual volumes to get more $$$[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't shove much more than 120 minutes on a DVD... this is the reason that releases like Seven Samurai and extended edition of The Lord of the Rings films have been broken up into two parts across two discs.

At 125 minutes a disc (which is 5 episodes), they should take up at least 5 discs. Realistically, they should take up 6 discs to maintain optimal image quality.

Even with improved compression technology, four discs for 650 minutes is stretching it... especially for animated content which, even on Blu-ray in its infancy, has been notorious when it comes to suffering from digitization.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I doubt the quality has changed at all. The total runtime is 650 minutes across those 4 discs. They could easily fit that on 4 discs without losing any quality. They likely just stretched out the individual volumes to get more $$$[/QUOTE]

Bingo that isn't an issue. Weird list though some real random stuff marked down.

[quote name='rothgar24']Does the street fighter II V suck or what? 800 minutes for 18 bucks seems pretty solid.[/QUOTE]

It's so loosely related that it could have been called something else despite having the main cast. All of the characters are really different in design and background save for a few. I like it for nostalgia's sake but it's not necessarily good.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Every time I see an anime sale I get excited, and then I realize how much anime I don't care about can go on sale instead.[/QUOTE]

Same, and for the few on sale that I do like, I had already bought when they were nearly three times this price so it's even more depressing.

[quote name='eau']How are Air and Konan?[/QUOTE]
I love Air personally, (also the movie is quite good) the animation is bright for the most part and its a up and down series emotionally. Cant speak for Konan

[quote name='coolsteel']For those looking for something to buy, Gankutsuou is it[/QUOTE]

This sounds pretty cool actually, thanks for the suggestion.

[quote name='ssjmichael']This sounds pretty cool actually, thanks for the suggestion.[/QUOTE]

It's the Count of Monte Cristo. In space.

You can't go wrong.

A word of warning though: it's dark. Very dark. It's some of the most soul-crushing stuff you will see. ;)

There's more than just those on sale. Looks like all the S.A.V.E. boxsets, including Nerima Daikon Brothers, Pani Poni Dash, and Kurau.

[quote name='G-Nitro']I picked up a bunch just to clear out the massive boxsets I have on my shelves.[/QUOTE]
I just took all your Pani Poni Dash on Goozex before I realized there was a S.A.V.E. boxset on sale for $14, haha. Oh well, I'll pick up a few other things from this sale I think, and I'll find room somewhere on my shelves.

does anyone know if the little S.A.V.E thing is just a sticker on the case? because some of the other views show it with the S.A.V.E part, and im refusing to buy them if its part of the actual cover because it ruins the artwork to me

[quote name='eau']How are Air and Konan?[/QUOTE]

Two of the greatest romance/drama animes around.

Edit: Though Kanon is MUCH better than Air

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh. My cart's at $126, which is a bit more than I want to spend. Anyone have opinions on Kurau, Ghost Hunt, Red Garden, Beck, Paniponi, or Rumbling? Never watched any of 'em, but they all look interesting enough. But if they're all fantastic, I guess I'll have to bite... X_X

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Oooh. My cart's at $126, which is a bit more than I want to spend. Anyone have opinions on Kurau, Ghost Hunt, Red Garden, Beck, Paniponi, or Rumbling? Never watched any of 'em, but they all look interesting enough. But if they're all fantastic, I guess I'll have to bite... X_X[/QUOTE]

Beck is pretty solid. A guy who loves music learns how to play guitar and joins a band as the last piece of the puzzle. I liked it when I saw it on the Funimation channel.

And I'll second Gankutsuou. Great series, and surprisingly faithful to the source material. (at least, until toward the end, when the plot takes a left turn.) I liked that they told the story from Albert's perspective, giving the story a very different feel.

[quote name='shiny_dante']does anyone know if the little S.A.V.E thing is just a sticker on the case? because some of the other views show it with the S.A.V.E part, and im refusing to buy them if its part of the actual cover because it ruins the artwork to me[/QUOTE]

It's a green logo as part of the artwork, BUT it should be reversible for the original artwork

[quote name='shiny_dante']does anyone know if the little S.A.V.E thing is just a sticker on the case? because some of the other views show it with the S.A.V.E part, and im refusing to buy them if its part of the actual cover because it ruins the artwork to me[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the ones with the little green strip that covers the artwork are just stickers slapped on the previous expensive releases.

The ones where the whole spine of the case is green is part of the cover, but most of them have artwork on the other side so you can just reverse them.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Anything with giant, bouncing titties and even bigger rampaging robots?[/QUOTE]

Magikano has lots of bouncing from what I hear. You want to buy Godannar from that post though. Even the robots have cleavage.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Oooh. My cart's at $126, which is a bit more than I want to spend. Anyone have opinions on Kurau, Ghost Hunt, Red Garden, Beck, Paniponi, or Rumbling? Never watched any of 'em, but they all look interesting enough. But if they're all fantastic, I guess I'll have to bite... X_X[/QUOTE]

Rumbling hearts is a good show, kind of a mind screw with all the ups and downs.....but still good.

Looking through the list, I also see that "The Wallflower" is also amonst the $13.99 series. I saw a bit of the series at a con and it is absolutely hilarious. Basically "Bishie eye for the scary goth chick", four pretty boys are tasked by woman who "keeps" them to turn her hideous daughter into a lady.

Any thoughts on Coyote Ragtime Show?

I bought Galaxy Railways, Red Garden, The Wallflower, Big Windup, Ghost Hunt, and Welcome to the NHK. All for a total of $80.94. I've been wanting to watch NHK for a long time, and the others seemed interesting enough. I hope I didn't get any garbage, since it's already being processed to ship (Prime ftw!). I love these S.A.V.E. boxes, they're such great deals on series I would otherwise probably pass up.

[quote name='Brian9824']Magikano has lots of bouncing from what I hear. You want to buy Godannar from that post though. Even the robots have cleavage.[/QUOTE]
Haha, *LOVE* Godannar. Already watched that one. ;)

Thanks!

[quote name='Rave Child']I just took all your Pani Poni Dash on Goozex before I realized there was a S.A.V.E. boxset on sale for $14, haha. Oh well, I'll pick up a few other things from this sale I think, and I'll find room somewhere on my shelves.[/QUOTE]

You didn't take my volume 1 though... grrrr.... Could have had them all gone. lol

Yeah I put up a bunch of individual volumes of series on there that I got S.A.V.E. sets of instead.

Not to derail the thread or go too far off topic but what gives with Gurren Lagann DVD's?

I vaguely remember some sort of "subs only" release initially and then well, I don't know.

I own the magnetic box set that included the LED drill. I have volumes one and two - covering episodes 1-9 or maybe it was 1-8...

Is it pretty much impossible to complete my collection? Seems like some of the DVD's I need are out of print or just don't exist...maybe?

Hmm... maybe waiting for the Blu Ray release is the best move. I would gladly buy the series on Blu.

[quote name='erehwon']Is Aquarion any good?[/QUOTE]

No.

[quote name='Broseph']Not to derail the thread or go too far off topic but what gives with Gurren Lagann DVD's?

I vaguely remember some sort of "subs only" release initially and then well, I don't know.

I own the magnetic box set that included the LED drill. I have volumes one and two - covering episodes 1-9 or maybe it was 1-8...

Is it pretty much impossible to complete my collection? Seems like some of the DVD's I need are out of print or just don't exist...maybe?

Hmm... maybe waiting for the Blu Ray release is the best move. I would gladly buy the series on Blu.[/QUOTE]

At this point, it'd be cheapest for you to just buy the Complete Collection. It's regularly on sale for sub-$30.

[quote name='Rave Child']I bought Galaxy Railways, Red Garden, The Wallflower, Big Windup, Ghost Hunt, and Welcome to the NHK. All for a total of $80.94. I've been wanting to watch NHK for a long time, and the others seemed interesting enough. I hope I didn't get any garbage, since it's already being processed to ship (Prime ftw!). I love these S.A.V.E. boxes, they're such great deals on series I would otherwise probably pass up.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the NHK is where it's at; I can't believe complete series are dropping down to the $14 level :hot:

Thank for the list, OP. Haven't bought any anime in a long time and am not terribly interested in anything here (already own all of Fullmetal Alchemist)...Just out of curiosity, are these S.A.V.E. title lines just value packaged re-releases, sort of like those thin pack re-releases that started popping up a few years ago?

[quote name='darkcecil32']Haven't bought any anime in a long time and am not terribly interested in anything here (already own all of Fullmetal Alchemist)...Just out of curiosity, are these S.A.V.E. title lines just value packaged re-releases, sort of like those thin pack re-releases that started popping up a few years ago?[/QUOTE]

basically

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Welcome to the NHK is where it's at if where you're at is a place for overrated, boring anime[/QUOTE]

Fix'd

bread's done
Back