Eco-Friendly DS cases (No more GBA slot)

xycury

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://www.ripten.com/2010/11/14/nintendo-ds-game-cases-are-now-eco-friendly-justin6464/

Just noticed this and kinda felt like it's a big bust.

There is also an imprint on the eco cut out...

"This plastic case contains no recyclable matieral and may not be recyclable in your area."

I think that's hilariously stupid to go eco-friendly and yet use no existing material.

I guess GS must be seriously hitting the landfills since they got rid of ALL used DS cases. Even if they were complete they were tossing them all. I think they said they weren't even keeping any artwork or manuals. ( I should really dumpster dive)

Anyways the end all question of the day... If I wanted to grab more DS cases from Nintendo to say backfill my GBA collection, would they be Eco-crap or not?

Has anyone ordered recently ?

Edit: I did check the store and they still have the verbage up:
Nintendo DS Game Card Case(s)
This is the standard case that Nintendo DS games come in. This case will hold one Nintendo DS game card and/or one Game Boy Advance game pak.

they'll stop using that stupid cutout pattern in every case when they realize that some animals can get their heads or paws/legs/arms/whatever stuck in it.

If they would just throw the manual in the game, and turn the box back to what GBA had, they would save a ton, but then showing off the library would be difficult.

I never understood why DS game cases even had the GBA slot to begin with. There were only like two games that even had some sort of accessory that would even use that slot for storage, like the rumble pack or expansion RAM.

I hate the eco 360 cases to be honest. I think they're doing it to reduce costs, not to make it eco friendly. Remember last year and those eco DVD cases? They were paper sleeves. What happened to those anyways?

I'm not really surprised, since they went to eco-friendly Wii cases months ago.

I don't like the design or the fact they're flimsy though. Plus, it's not really like they're that worried about the environment; they are more worried about cases costing a lot to cost and how they can cut the costs.

Those giant recycle logos are something that always bother me each time I see these kinds of cases. I'm always afraid of accidentally breaking those kinds of boxes.

The lack of the GBA slot is understandable, but it still sucks they're gone. I've been suing them to store my GBA games since my old cover box seems to attract a lot of dust.

My new Golden Sun game came that way. Guess ill need to place an order from Nintendo to get the OG cases before they all disappear.

I don't mind losing the GBA slot (did anyone use that?) but those recycle symbol cutouts...just no. At least they waited till the DS is almost dead, but I'm worried the 3DS cases will have those as well. As someone who's a bit OCD about their games I don't think they realize how incredibly easy it is to damage the cover art with cases like that.

Well people have put forth the idea or seen how easy the DVD cases get damaged in the case of shipping.

I think it's really cheap and isn't a case of being green one bit.

I can't believe that they've done studies that find not many of said cases end up damaging the discs. I'm willing to bet, if these eco cases mainstream we'll see people complaining left and right about damaged discs. The middle area you pull the disc out of is suppose to be even more of a pain to take out. I heard someone say they broke a disc in the process.
This blowback will likely get us the old DS cases in the process as well.

I have found the new "eco-friendly" Wii cases to seem much more fragile than the old ones. I'm sure the same trend applies to DS cases.

What I don't like about the Wii eco-cases is that the side with the disc is very flimsy. It's supposed to be protecting the game, but it seems more like a hazard. Plus, the recycle logo is behind the disc I believe, which means that anything poking into the back side of the case can be hitting the disc and ruining it.

Hooray for saving the environment!

[quote name='rainking187']I don't mind losing the GBA slot (did anyone use that?) but those recycle symbol cutouts...just no. At least they waited till the DS is almost dead, but I'm worried the 3DS cases will have those as well. As someone who's a bit OCD about their games I don't think they realize how incredibly easy it is to damage the cover art with cases like that.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually in the opposite situation. I don't mind the cut-outs, but I hate the lack of a GBA slot. Since I case all of my GB/GBC/GBA games in DS cases (with covers from TheCoverProject.net), the lack of a GBA slot is going to be missed by me.

I just ordered 30 cases from Nintendo. I'll let y'all know what I got when they come in.

[quote name='UncleBob']I'm actually in the opposite situation. I don't mind the cut-outs, but I hate the lack of a GBA slot. Since I case all of my GB/GBC/GBA games in DS cases (with covers from TheCoverProject.net), the lack of a GBA slot is going to be missed by me.

I just ordered 30 cases from Nintendo. I'll let y'all know what I got when they come in.[/QUOTE]

Oh thanks, I was just counting out how many more I need, thinking of another large order... so I'll be hoping you come let us know.

My Golden Sun came with the new eco case... seemed fake at first.

Yeah, I noticed Golden Sun came with an eco case. It really did seem like it was a knockoff of a DS case at first when I went to open it.

UncleBob, how much was the set of 30 cases? I only need I think 3, but it's nice to always have spare cases. I know Nintendo charges I think $1 each plus shipping, but I never can seem to get a shipping quote without having to go through checkout.

Google's not really much help, as it's all the plastic storage containers for games or replacements cases for the system. I can't seem to find replacement game cases to save my life.

Well, this guy was pointed out over on TheCoverProject.net, as long as you don't mind that these aren't official Nintendo cases.

As for shipping from store.nintendo.com - orders $5 or under runs $2 shipping. Orders over $5 are a flat $5 shipping. So, after tax, my 30 cases ran me about $27.xx.

That's not bad. So for $6.xx after tax shipped I get 4 DS game cases... Hmm, that's not a bad idea.

If only I had a color laser printer, the cover project's covers would help. The B&W versions don't look at great.

Eh, I was mostly just being facetious. They look fine, except that on the ones that are white along the edge, it's difficult to tell where they end. Eh, oh well. I don't even have replacement cases for most of these.

I don't really mind the removal GBA slot on the cases. I used them to keep my used cart-only GBA games, not really a problem.

I wouldn't mind a second DS cartridge slot since Gamestop dumped their used cases, but that kind of defeats the whole eco-friendly part.

[quote name='UncleBob']Just a note - I received my order of 30 DS cases today and they did have the GBA slot. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

I'll have to finally get the rest of my GBA cases made. I'll probably place an order tomorrow.

On a sort of related note, I ordered a Pikmin "manual" and instead recieved photocopied pieces of paper with the manual pages inside... not knowing this, I accidentally ripped the bottom part. :/

Point is, Nintendo can be sneaky sometimes.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']On a sort of related note, I ordered a Pikmin "manual" and instead recieved photocopied pieces of paper with the manual pages inside... not knowing this, I accidentally ripped the bottom part. :/

Point is, Nintendo can be sneaky sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you read the fine print on the Nintendo site it states that some older manuals are no longer in stock and they will send you a color reprint. I ordered $100 or so worth of manuals going back to the NES days. Most of them were reprints except for some of the Gamecube and GBA manuals. The problem is, you don't know which are reprints and which are originals until your order comes in the mail.

On the topic of the ECO cases. I read that this is Walmart pushing for these. They basically said anyone who sells media (ie games, music, movies) needs to cut material in the cases by around 20% or Walmart will not carry your media anymore. The end result are these flimsy piece of shit cases. So you can bitch all you want but in the end, Walmart has more power than we do. Sad fact.

http://videolamer.com/changing-game-cases

GDI. I bought Super Mario 64 DS from Amazon during their B2G1 Free sale, along with Lufia and Etrian Odyssey 3.

SM64 DS came in an eco case. :bomb:

[quote name='Purkeynator']l
On the topic of the ECO cases. I read that this is Walmart pushing for these. They basically said anyone who sells media (ie games, music, movies) needs to cut material in the cases by around 20% or Walmart will not carry your media anymore. The end result are these flimsy piece of shit cases. So you can bitch all you want but in the end, Walmart has more power than we do. Sad fact.
[/QUOTE]

How does it benefit Walmart? Unless Walmart is demanding that with less plastic they should pay less for the games. Hearing this, I have another reason to hate Walmart.

[quote name='Altanis']GDI. I bought Super Mario 64 DS from Amazon during their B2G1 Free sale, along with Lufia and Etrian Odyssey 3.

SM64 DS came in an eco case. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised that Mario 64 DS is still in print, I would have thought it wasn't being made anymore.

Same here. I'm really annoyed that I got an eco case with a game that's over 6 years old. I didn't think it was in print either. I thought it was like Twilight Princess on the Wii: a huge print run to where retailers still have vast supplies of it. I guess they're still printing it.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']How does it benefit Walmart? Unless Walmart is demanding that with less plastic they should pay less for the games. Hearing this, I have another reason to hate Walmart.[/QUOTE]

Shipping lighter cases reduces fuel consumption. It goes hand in hand with their going green BS.

[quote name='Purkeynator']On the topic of the ECO cases. I read that this is Walmart pushing for these. They basically said anyone who sells media (ie games, music, movies) needs to cut material in the cases by around 20% or Walmart will not carry your media anymore. The end result are these flimsy piece of shit cases. So you can bitch all you want but in the end, Walmart has more power than we do. Sad fact.[/QUOTE]

Walmart isn't pushing these lame-ass Eco-Cases though. Manufacturers could have easily cut out the paper manuals, switched to slim-line cases and swapped DVD-sized cases down to jewel-size-sized cases - cutting both weight and volume in the process.

Manufacturers went with the Eco-cases because they provide the least amount of effort on their end.

I ended up getting an Eco-case when I repurchased Okami for the Wii just last month. It's plain awful. I pushed the little tab down to get the game disc out just ONCE and the half of the button snapped off.

Where did you purchase Okami?

I'm noticing a trend. The vast majority of the eco cases I'm getting are from games I've bought from Amazon.

I know this is an old thread, but would anyone have an idea where I might get the old DS cases now? I only just found out they're now shipping eco-cases, and when I contacted the Nintendo webstore I was told that despite what it says on the website, they are actually shipping ecocases from there too. I've just ordered a bunch from the only listing on eBay I could find, but don't know where to look once those are exhausted.

Necro bump!

http://hyperkin.com/nintendo/ds-family/ds/50-x-ds-replacement-retail-game-cartridge-case-black.html

Old link did not work here's one that worked for me.

They're not Nintendo branded cases, but someone on TheCoverProject.net recently dug up this nice link...
http://hyperkin.com/index.php/dsi-dslite/nintendo-ds-retail-game-cartridge-case-black-master-case.html
50 cases for $25.
These are now $50! Not sure if these are the same as the original or cheap versions with the GBA slot removed. The picture could be deceiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back