Is there a way to change gamertag(FREE)?

Earmuffin585

CAGiversary!
Is there a way to change your gamer-tag for free? I today just noticed my gamer-tag is terrible. Is there any way to change it without paying 10 dollars.

I vaguely recall something where if you can get enough people to report you, they force you to change it. Not sure how effective that method would be with your name, but it has happened. My friend had "IMugTheElderly" and was forced to change it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I vaguely recall something where if you can get enough people to report you, they force you to change it. Not sure how effective that method would be with your name, but it has happened. My friend had "IMugTheElderly" and was forced to change it.[/QUOTE]
Muffin is slang for a vagina so it might work. (it was not i was going for tho). The risk is if they report you and the screen found it not offensive you will be ban.

I have read in many places that having people report you does not work anymore and might get your account banned... might want to google it.

[quote name='jnest']I have read in many places that having people report you does not work anymore and might get your account banned... might want to google it.[/QUOTE]
spent the last hour at it

[quote name='2DMention']Why does M$ charge to change it anyway? Does PSN do that? Greedy bastards.[/QUOTE]

greedy? you're the one who chose a gamertag and decided to just want to change it all of a sudden, you're the greedy one really. it's like getting into a cell phone contract and then 3 months after you setup your account, you decide to cancel and are hit with the early termination fee. does that make the company greedy? the logical sense of some people isn't too bright and yeah, you can't do it on psn either. on psn, you'd have to make a new account so either way, no way to do it. have people file complaints on your gt and prepare to meet the banhammer. just pay the 800 ms points ($10) or let the account go and make a new one.

[quote name='100xp']I'm more curious as to what provoked you to choose ear muffin as your gamertag?[/QUOTE]

random generator? damn microsoft, they did you wrong! :lol: I've seen some hilarious gamertags come out from the 'suggested' gamertags when I tried changing mine but damn I just couldn't hit the A button to confirm, you'd be surprised at what you'd get. :bouncy:

[quote name='intoxicated662']greedy? you're the one who chose a gamertag and decided to just want to change it all of a sudden, you're the greedy one really. it's like getting into a cell phone contract and then 3 months after you setup your account, you decide to cancel and are hit with the early termination fee. does that make the company greedy? the logical sense of some people isn't too bright and yeah, you can't do it on psn either. on psn, you'd have to make a new account so either way, no way to do it. have people file complaints on your gt and prepare to meet the banhammer. just pay the 800 ms points ($10) or let the account go and make a new one.[/QUOTE]

Yea except if you are signing a 10 year cell phone contract to begin with you are an idiot. Some people may have had Live since the original Xbox, which you figure if they made a Gamertag when that first came out they could easily have some stupid GT that no longer fits them.

Let's see, I was 15 when Live first came out.. Pretty sure that I wouldn't want anything that I would have made it when I was 15. Hell, I don't even care about mine now and that was made when I was 17.

[quote name='mvp828']Yea except if you are signing a 10 year cell phone contract to begin with you are an idiot. Some people may have had Live since the original Xbox, which you figure if they made a Gamertag when that first came out they could easily have some stupid GT that no longer fits them.

Let's see, I was 15 when Live first came out.. Pretty sure that I wouldn't want anything that I would have made it when I was 15. Hell, I don't even care about mine now and that was made when I was 17.[/QUOTE]

Then you have the option to pay to change it or just make a new account, problem solved. It's a gamertag you chose and by now, i'm sure your friends have gotten used to it. I don't see the big deal about it and if it's eating away at your conscience then just pay to change it or something else. You aren't left with many choices really.

[quote name='intoxicated662']greedy? you're the one who chose a gamertag and decided to just want to change it all of a sudden, you're the greedy one really. it's like getting into a cell phone contract and then 3 months after you setup your account, you decide to cancel and are hit with the early termination fee. does that make the company greedy? the logical sense of some people isn't too bright and yeah, you can't do it on psn either. on psn, you'd have to make a new account so either way, no way to do it. have people file complaints on your gt and prepare to meet the banhammer. just pay the 800 ms points ($10) or let the account go and make a new one.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty different. He wants to change his name, not cancel his subscription. If it was the latter, than I could see where your coming from, but let's be honest, Microsoft is just milking microsoft points in this case.

Is it really that much of an effort for M$ to change it for free? It's all automated. When you change your name on a message board, do you have to pay? No. M$ is just milking money from customers, something they love to do.

I've sick of M$ with it's bilking whoreishness. Pay to play online, ads all over the place, and paying to change you name? Really?

I guess the only reason I could see why they do it is so people don't cause trouble on live and then change their name.

I'm sure it's deeper than just trying to get ppl to pay money to change their gamertag. Probably with things like your gametag's files on their servers, the console your GT is tied too, and everything you've downloaded that you can redownload again with that GT. As for advertising? why not...if companies want to pay MS to advertise on XBL it only helps us, because MS will have resources to improve and maintain their online service. We're CAG's. we always manage to find ways to get free or discounted MS points, XBL subs, and games.

So consider $10/800 ms points is what you pay the IT guy to update your GT profile or the program that someone developed. Kinda like a royalty check. So next time you want 2 beers, a pack of smokes in NYC, or washing your car by hand...you should have enough to get yourself the pts to change your GT.

[quote name='100xp'] As for advertising? why not...if companies want to pay MS to advertise on XBL it only helps us, because MS will have resources to improve and maintain their online service. We're CAG's. we always manage to find ways to get free or discounted MS points, XBL subs, and games.

[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with advertisements if they would help fund free online play, but they don't. PSN doesn't charge to play online, and they have a minimum of ads.

To all who wondered how I got the name, I went to China ten years back and I bought these crackers that was named ear muffin. Chringrish!

Sorry for the necrobump, but is there a way to change it for free? I recently got an Xbox One and I dont even remember creating that username.

To summarize the thread that you admit you necrobumped: No. Pay the $10 or get a new tag.

bread's done
Back