Photo
- - - - -

GFW Daily Deals 12/2 -12/7 (FINAL DEAL: Max Payne 2 $1)

• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic

#361 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

It seems like they're just flipping a coin to decide what games to put on sale. You'd think they would be smarter and push their exclusives more, like the viva pinata and age of empires sales.

I think they are trying to get people to use the client that normally wouldn't. Those that are interested in MS titles don't have much of a choice. They use it or don't play it. I still think they would benefit from putting some of them on sale though. When's the last time they even published a major PC title? AoEIII? All of their studios have left, were sold, or shutdown. I don't see them having a ton of exclusives anymore and I have a hard time believing they are serious about PC gaming even with sales like this.

If they put 1/10th of the R & D they put into xbox into GfW it would be a much more seemless experience. I would be happy with a simple friends/chat/im client that I could run on my pc in the background and see what people are doing/playing but they haven't even provided that.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#362 dark-star

dark-star

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

thanks for the brake down,, i will get use to the key board and mouse soon ,lol i love the 360 controller though.

xpadder is very good if you want to use your 360 controller (or almost any other pad) with games that don't natively support them. Cost a few bucks for the current version, but I found it worth the money.
"The piracy can't be done." - EA Rep 'Russell', in chat with CAG crupp.

#363 dark-star

dark-star

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

The Xbox version isn't nearly as good.

Why is that, other than the obvious graphics upgrade on the pc? I have an old xb copy, never really got around to playing it though...
"The piracy can't be done." - EA Rep 'Russell', in chat with CAG crupp.

#364 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

where do you see how many activation keys a game will let you use before locking you out? it looks like it changes game to game?

I found the answer to this. Looks like its pretty lenient to me. 5 Activations per month.

SecuROM – Some of our titles (see below) will be using this DRM feature which allows for Five activations a month on any hardware. The key is tied to your account, so as long as you are logging in on your account you can install this program up to 5 times in a month (not just 5 times total).

Got this from http://forums.gamesf...com/t/9446.aspx

23480.png

#365 xspeedracerx

xspeedracerx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Why is that, other than the obvious graphics upgrade on the pc? I have an old xb copy, never really got around to playing it though...

The console versions had very forgiving auto-aim. Normally I don't have a preference between a gamepad or mouse and keyboard, but with Max Payne the extra precision makes a huge difference.
As you already pointed out, the pc version looks much better too. Oh, I forgot about some pretty cool mods that were released as well.

#366 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

Welcome to PC gaming. I'm sure you're discovering that we have really really good deals on this side of the fence :)

While Max Payne 2 is a third-person shooter and that seems to set off "I need a controller!" alarms in peoples heads, MP was designed to use a mouse & keyboard, and works very well with that set-up, so I don't know how good a controller will be.

^This, I played Max Payne 1 and 2 with mouse and keyboard and it controlled fine. The only part that was a bit of a pain was the "blood trail" sequences.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#367 jaredhenry13

jaredhenry13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

Damn this appears to be the last daily deal. Every other day had a little message below the game showing "Come back tomorrow for another great deal." Max Payne 2 doesn't have that message.

#368 tmacairjordan87

tmacairjordan87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Was hoping for something good today, like Gears 1...guess I'll have to hope for the finale tomorrow.

#369 ramenXnoodles

ramenXnoodles

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

Nope. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the daily deal. It hasn't gone up but it's showing for 99 cents.

#370 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Nope. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the daily deal. It hasn't gone up but it's showing for 99 cents.

That was yesterday. Max Payne 2 is today.

23480.png

#371 CrossFireXT17

CrossFireXT17

Aka: RevolutionJ12

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

STALKER was yesterdays deal.. (probably is still available)

And as jaredhenry13 noted (and confirmed on their facebook and twitter accounts) this is THE FINAL DEAL.. so NO deal tomorrow... buuut let's be honest, I have a feeling they are going to do a pre-christmas sale like Steam and everywhere else...

So thank you Microsoft and Games for Windows for a wonderful 6 days of deals ($1 a piece for a game is awesome!) :applause: and here is to hoping for more $1 deals before christmas... I think Gears of War and Fable would warm everyones heart ;)

#372 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Not a bad run. I picked up all but Deus Ex and Stalker as I had them on steam.

So all in all we had

Deus Ex
Shadow Run
Viva Pinata
Blacklight Tango Down
STALKER
Max Payne 2

My only complain is that now the obsessive compulsive in me wants Max Payne 1 :(

23480.png

#373 BloodiestCadaver

BloodiestCadaver

Chomp Chomp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

How come Games for Window's client does not have the new deals on a front page or something? I feel I always have to go through pages of games to find what is on sale...that just doesn't make sense to me.

#374 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

Sigh, so this is the last deal, eh? Not a bad one to go out on, though I'm surprised it wasn't a LIVE-enabled game, just 'cuz. And I agree with CrossFireXT17; I'll also bet there'll be a Chrismastime sale.

Now, to pick up Max Payne 2... which I couldn't originally run on my rig at the time of release (yes, my system was that bad).

#375 M3wThr33

M3wThr33

Batman with a gun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

Not a bad run. I picked up all but Deus Ex and Stalker as I had them on steam.

So all in all we had

Deus Ex
Shadow Run
Viva Pinata
Blacklight Tango Down
STALKER
Max Payne 2

My only complain is that now the obsessive compulsive in me wants Max Payne 1 :(

You'd love the PS3 then. They posted Syphon Filter 1 and 3. They went about 2 years without putting up Syphon Filter 2.

#376 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Kind of dissapointed with the last day sale. Oh well, I haven't had any problems with gfwl, but I don't see myself using it unless there is an insanely good deal.

#377 SirMikael

SirMikael

Touch Not This CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

How come Games for Window's client does not have the new deals on a front page or something? I feel I always have to go through pages of games to find what is on sale...that just doesn't make sense to me.

I've noticed and disliked that as well. I remember the AOEIII deal was front and center, but the other deals have been hidden.

Anyhow, I'll try to remember to purchase Max Payne II tonight, as I really enjoyed the first one. I played that one on a PC, so I think it's fitting that I play the sequel that way as well.

#378 jaredhenry13

jaredhenry13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Can anybody who has Max Payne 2 confirm or deny native controller support? If I'm not playing competitively, I'd rather use a controller. I don't want to buy it and then not be able to use it. xpadder isn't that great in my opinion because the joysticks always act wonky with that software.

#379 MPoWeRM3

MPoWeRM3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Deus Ex
Shadow Run
Viva Pinata
Blacklight Tango Down
STALKER
Max Payne 2

Skipped the first and skipping the last. Got everything in between. However, didn't like STALKER much after playing for 15 mins. With so many games on PC and consoles, if a game can't grab me in the first 15 mins, it automatically gets pushed to the end of the pile, in this case, virtual digital pile. :lol:

#380 Hunter_Silver

Hunter_Silver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

I just bought Max Payne 2 and got two confirmation emails. Even though it's only 99c they better not have charged me twice :bomb:
edit: It seems like the order number is the same so there probably wont be a problem.

#381 Ninersfan4926

Ninersfan4926

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

should I play the first before Max Payne 2?

#382 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

Was hoping for something good today, like Gears 1...guess I'll have to hope for the finale tomorrow.

People are saying this is the last deal of this run... I thought it was supposed go run for 7 days (a week)?

233526.png

https://www.facebook...stractedRealism (pinup/boudoir/etc)
https://www.facebook...ulhaPhotography (scenery/families/babies/etc)

#383 sstcrush

sstcrush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

I really hope Gears 1 is in the mix if there is more days (Supposively a Week)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#384 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

should I play the first before Max Payne 2?

If you are concerned with story yes but if not its not a big deal

23480.png

#385 Soma_Cruz

Soma_Cruz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

I liked the game on the Xbox and I'm thinking about getting this but not sure since I don't know if I'll get around to playing it.

#386 CrossFireXT17

CrossFireXT17

Aka: RevolutionJ12

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

People are saying this is the last deal of this run... I thought it was supposed go run for 7 days (a week)?

That's what we all thought logically that it would run a week, however that is not the case... today is it. It is confirmed on their twitter http://twitter.com/#...193427982647297 facebook and website... so wait until the week before and/or after Christmas.. I'm sure some deal will come then!

#387 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

I liked the game on the Xbox and I'm thinking about getting this but not sure since I don't know if I'll get around to playing it.

Exactly how I feel. I think I may buy it just for nostalgia's sake.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#388 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

If you are concerned with story yes but if not its not a big deal

Mr. pROvIs is right, but, if I may jump in, I think the story is somewhat important.

It's true, the game does emphasize its gameplay mechanics, but both games in the series were designed to tell a story too. (The second game is quite referential to the first. Max Payne fans know Captain Baseball Bat Boy well.)

I recommend playing through the original first, and, for a dollar, you could at least stockpile the second. (The first isn't going to be expensive anyway, since it's about 10 years old.)

Indeed, you won't go wrong for a dollar; Max Payne was a good series for its time.

#389 Alazam

Alazam

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Picked up AoE 3 for 10 points and all 6 of the deals the past 6 days. Most of it was free for me since I got 400 MS points from Bing rewards. Pretty nice to get 7 games basically free...

#390 Ninersfan4926

Ninersfan4926

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

Mr. pROvIs is right, but, if I may jump in, I think the story is somewhat important.

It's true, the game does emphasize its gameplay mechanics, but both games in the series were designed to tell a story too. (The second game is quite referential to the first. Max Payne fans know Captain Baseball Bat Boy well.)

I recommend playing through the original first, and, for a dollar, you could at least stockpile the second. (The first isn't going to be expensive anyway, since it's about 10 years old.)

Indeed, you won't go wrong for a dollar; Max Payne was a good series for its time.

thanks. I'll buy the second now and see if I can find the first for cheap.