GFW Daily Deals 12/2 -12/7 (FINAL DEAL: Max Payne 2 $1)

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
cboxmaxpayne2.jpg

DAY 6 DEAL (Final Day): Max Payne 2

"Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a violent, film-noir love story. Dark, tragic and intense, the in-depth story is a thrill-ride of shocking twists and revelations. Love hurts. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne delivers the most intense gameplay experience imaginable. The fierce, yet stylish action sequences and slow-motion gunplay that has become synonymous with Max Payne is back and better than ever. New and enhanced moves and options provide breathtaking cinematic game play"

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Max-Payne-2/
:bouncy:

No Achievements for this one! :cry:

Note: Max Payne 2 is THE FINAL deal in this series of Daily Deals. There will be no "Daily Deal" on December 8th!

Previous Deals:
Day 1: Deus Ex for $0.99 (discussed until post #53)
Day 2: Shadowrun for $0.99 (discussed until post #97)
Day 3: Viva Pinata for $0.99
Day 4: Blacklight Tango Down for $0.99
Day 5: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked this game when I came out. But should I buy it? On one hand, I'll probably never get around to playing it again. On the other, it's only 80 points. Hmmm.

[quote name='Patrick Bateman']Damn, and I just bought this for $2.50 on Steam. Oh well, at least Steam rocks.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll be fine without the extra $1.50.

Um, I don't think this is a GFWL, so ya may wanna edit the title not ton confuse people.

EDIT: FYI, this was a response to Deus Ex, the thread's original posted game.

Literally no excuses left not to buy this game. I was a nonbeliever until a year ago, and my only regret was not having played it sooner.

Yeah, this is, like, what, GFWM or something?

I love spending those remainder MS points that are never enough to get anything good on XBML. Thanks, OP.

These sales probably get a lot of people to go through with the transaction, seeing how easy it is, and they probably end up buying some more expensive games too. This is the BEST kind of ad right here, the super cheap, loss leader that gets people both using your site and actually liking it too!

I bought this on steam a long way back for $10. This is one of those always mentioned as "Best PC games ever", usually at the top of many of those lists. $1 is a great price.

[quote name='Dissolve']Yeah, this is, like, what, GFWM or something?[/QUOTE]

ha, I suggested GFWM last week, but didn't seem to catch..

weird, I added to my cart via the web and its showing as $9.99 no matter what I try and do..be careful.

day3.gif

The Games for Windows Marketplace Daily Deals are back! And opening with a huge discount on a very good game.

From now until 8:30 a.m. PST tomorrow, you can grab Viva Piñata for just $0.99 (80 Microsoft Points) ,that's 95% off it's regular price!

Welcome to Piñata Island, enjoy your stay! Attract and tame your favourite Piñatas from more than 60 colorful species. This delightful family favorite can be yours for only 99 cents!

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/dailydeal/day3/

Check back tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. PST for the next Daily Deal!

On top of that, the Deal of the Week is the Games for Windows Marketplace-exclusive World of Goo LIVE for just $4.99 (400 Microsoft Points), grab it while you can!

Not a bad deal at all. I, too, grabbed the game when it was $2.50 on Steam. Sure, this price is cheaper, but not by a ton.

To those that don't have it, this is the perfect price.

Just when I told myself I'll be fine not getting some more games for the year :p

Thanks much, OP. It'll be nice to have this classic in the collection for cheap.

Thanks for the heads-up! I had 110 points I needed to burn through, and this was perfect for purging a few more of them.

By the way, does anyone know how to archive a download from the GFWL marketplace? You can specify a download folder, but as soon as the game installs the client deletes the download files. The download files are all .cab files I think (I can't remember from when I bought AOEIII a few weeks ago). Thanks in advance! I like Steam's ability to archive the game files, D2D and GOG's ability to download the .exe's, etc.

I hardly do any PC gaming. How does the DRM work? Do you get to install only X number of times or can you uninstall/transfer it to a new PC? The bit that says "To function properly, DRM downloads certain data and files to your computer, which may or may not be uninstalled when you uninstall the software" is worrisome.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Um, I don't think this is a GFWL, so ya may wanna edit the title not ton confuse people.[/QUOTE]

good catch! Just used to saying GWFL a lot haha, I changed it!

[quote name='DarkPGR']ooops, didn't see this thread before creating mine: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280271

The daily deals are back, with a different one each day.

The price on the client is the right one ($0.99), if you are getting the $9.99 price in the webpage, try a bit later, the webpage takes longer to update the price.[/QUOTE]

Didn't realize it was part of Daily Deals! thanks for the tip! And they started it off this time with a $1 game? oh boy...

[quote name='avwjase']How do the graphics and things hold up to todays standards?[/QUOTE]

I played it for the first time recently and it was not quite PS2 quality. It didn't bother me at all.

Similar percentage discount on Fallout 3 GOTY, please. :p

Thanks for bringing the return of these deals to our attention, OP.

Anyone know if GfW marketplace accepts paypal or is it credit card and MS points only? Tried finding out everywhere and I don't think MS takes paypal but just wanted to be sure. Really wanted to buy the games but only with paypal.

[quote name='voken']Anyone know if GfW marketplace accepts paypal or is it credit card and MS points only? Tried finding out everywhere and I don't think MS takes paypal but just wanted to be sure. Really wanted to buy the games but only with paypal.[/QUOTE]

On select countries, you can use PayPal as a payment method. To do so, you must go to www.xbox.com and edit your billing info there. I think you can buy Microsoft Points with PayPal, which can be used to purchase stuff from the Games for Windows Marketplace, Zune Marketplace and Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

[quote name='avwjase']How do the graphics and things hold up to todays standards?[/QUOTE]

Very poorly. This game is almost unplayable in 2010.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm hating on this game. I don't mean to tread on toes. I'm sure that many people have great memories of playing this game. I personally was a big fan of Ion Storm; I played the Thief games but somehow never got around to Deus Ex.

When I finally bit on this game during a Steam sale last year, I was brutally reminded how much has changed in computer gaming in 10 years. It's ugly, the interface is confusing. I played for about 3-4 hours and found it more work than entertainment. The story line and game play are not the least bit immersive, by modern standards.

I put it away, but tried again 6 months later. I tried it on "easy" difficulty this time, thinking that I'd maybe enjoy the story and the "solve it your way" aspect of the game I wasn't dying constantly because of interface issues. It didn't help. The game made me bored and angry.

You know, I had the same experience with SiN, although my expectations were lower.

For the record, I am an old-school PC gamer, 41. Not some kid trying to slum through the back catalogs. I grew up on Zork, man. I lived through years of terrible graphics and poor interfaces. But there are many games from the 90s that I find are still playable: Half-Life, Thief 1/2, Quake 2, Baldur's Gate, Grim Fandango. This, unfortunately, isn't one of them.

It is, however, an important milestone in PC gaming. Non-linear FPS gameplay was new, and stealth gameplay was in it's infancy. If you can enjoy it for anything, enjoy it for it's historical importance. There would be no Bioshock today without Deus Ex in 2000.

It kept showing up as 10 dollars in my cart, but after four tries it went down to 99 cents. Wonder what tomorrows deal will be.

[quote name='gcorlett']Very poorly. This game is almost unplayable in 2010.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm hating on this game. I don't mean to tread on toes. I'm sure that many people have great memories of playing this game. I personally was a big fan of Ion Storm; I played the Thief games but somehow never got around to Deus Ex.

When I finally bit on this game during a Steam sale last year, I was brutally reminded how much has changed in computer gaming in 10 years. It's ugly, the interface is confusing. I played for about 3-4 hours and found it more work than entertainment. The story line and game play are not the least bit immersive, by modern standards.

I put it away, but tried again 6 months later. I tried it on "easy" difficulty this time, thinking that I'd maybe enjoy the story and the "solve it your way" aspect of the game I wasn't dying constantly because of interface issues. It didn't help. The game made me bored and angry.

You know, I had the same experience with SiN, although my expectations were lower.

For the record, I am an old-school PC gamer, 41. Not some kid trying to slum through the back catalogs. I grew up on Zork, man. I lived through years of terrible graphics and poor interfaces. But there are many games from the 90s that I find are still playable: Half-Life, Thief 1/2, Quake 2, Baldur's Gate, Grim Fandango. This, unfortunately, isn't one of them.

It is, however, an important milestone in PC gaming. Non-linear FPS gameplay was new, and stealth gameplay was in it's infancy. If you can enjoy it for anything, enjoy it for it's historical importance. There would be no Bioshock today without Deus Ex in 2000.[/QUOTE]

Deus Ex was a huge milestone for FPS, but its better off left as a fond memory. In fact, FPS usually age very poorly. We get used to improved AI and more interesting set pieces, so older FPSes don't usually hold up.
Take the original Doom and the fact that any one spot on a map can only have one Z-axis, meaning you could never go underneath any path (i.e. like a bridge). You could draw the maps on a piece of paper, since they lacked any real 3D perspective.
But 3rd person games, especially story heavy ones, tend to age much better. Grim Fandango, and all of Tim Schafer's games, hold up very well because they're about humor and gameplay.

Game of the Year Edition? Does this edition have any graphical updates over the regular version?

I'm kinda debating picking up the PS2 remake/update of this game, as I heard it has some improved/updated visuals and character models (understandable considering it came out a few years later).

[quote name='voken']Anyone know if GfW marketplace accepts paypal or is it credit card and MS points only? Tried finding out everywhere and I don't think MS takes paypal but just wanted to be sure. Really wanted to buy the games but only with paypal.[/QUOTE]

you have a lot of options here because GFW can use MS points and you can buy those all over with paypal.

I just picked it last Wednesday during the Steam group sale. Well worth this price if you never played the game previously. I wanted it for my Steam collection and plan to play through again. Sure, the graphics are not as good as today but, the story and rpg elements are untouched. I pretty much recommend this and System Shock 2 to anyone new to PC gaming even though the graphics are not jaw-dropping it's about the atmosphere, rpg elements and story that made these games truly great.

SON OF A BITCH
i put my real age on my account so im to young to buy it
and i love this game on my ps2
damn 40gb ps3

[quote name='gcorlett']Very poorly. This game is almost unplayable in 2010.

It is, however, an important milestone in PC gaming. Non-linear FPS gameplay was new, and stealth gameplay was in it's infancy. If you can enjoy it for anything, enjoy it for it's historical importance. There would be no Bioshock today without Deus Ex in 2000.[/QUOTE]

I had never played Deus Ex until last year. It's a lot better then Bioshock. Sorry bud.
Deus Ex's interface is easy as fuck. The only thing that could be confusing to gamers is some of the bigger levels I guess. I was able to jump in and get right into it. It's probably one of the few games to do "choice" correctly in games where your choices of exploring or upgrading actually pan out into gameplay paths. The sequel sucked hard though.

[quote name='sTaTIx']Game of the Year Edition? Does this edition have any graphical updates over the regular version?

I'm kinda debating picking up the PS2 remake/update of this game, as I heard it has some improved/updated visuals and character models (understandable considering it came out a few years later).[/QUOTE]

I think the GOTY version just has a multiplayer mode. No graphical improvements.

Go with the PC version. The PS2 version looked a little better, but the environments were broken up into smaller areas with loading times in between each. The PS2 version is still good, but it was kind of chopped up and dumbed down a bit to work on a console.

bread's done
Back