Problems and Solutions Thread

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, CAG's.
Not too long ago, I posted a whole list of the problems I've run into with PC games. These posts dealt with console-to-PC ports, since many aren't given the proper development time and testing. (Grand Theft Auto's III, Vice City, and San Andreas have been the worst offenders.) However, I posted the solutions that worked for me because I was compelled to support PC game-playing and help my fellow CAG's. I've already run through the games in my own collection, and I feel that a thread would be the best venue for added discussion and questions. Furthermore, I implore others to post their game problems and the solutions they used to properly and completely solve these issues.

Here is my list in its entirety.

Assassin's Creed
P) My Wireless 360 Controller isn't supported by the game.
S) This is a common issue with some console-to-PC ports from early in our current console generation. Now that 360 controllers are more than commonplace, this isn't as much of an issue; Most developers now work in proper native support for both wired and wireless gamepads. To solve Assassin's Creed's issue, place X360CE into your game's installation folder. Under X360CE's Options, set the Fake Mode to "Compatibility" and save. The game should work with complete 360 controller prompts.

Assassin's Creed II
P) My Wireless 360 Controller isn't supported by the game.
S) To solve Assassin's Creed II's issue, place X360CE into your game's installation folder. Under X360CE's Options, set the Fake Mode to "Compatibility" and save. The game should work with complete 360 controller prompts.

P) On a Windows 7 (64-bit) computer, the game crashes after 10-60 minutes of gameplay.
S) Under Windows, set the game's Compatibility Mode to Vista.

Braid
P) The game suffers from screen tearing. The Command-line options, such as "-no_vsync" and "-no_vsync_test" do not fix the issue.
S) The game is notorious for Vsync issues. Luckily, utilizing the Control Panel for the user's graphics card of choice can fix this problem. For example, in the nVidia Control Panel, select "Manage 3D Settings." Select or Add Braid to the listing and set "Triple Buffering" to "On" and "Vsync" to "Force On." The game should run smoothly.

Bulletstorm
P) The game does not work under certain resolutions, causing a choppy framerate.
S) The original solution was to simply use a resolution with the multiple of 8. (This was due to the fact that the game was made primarily for consoles, which support 720p and 1080i resolutions.) However, this has been fixed with the latest patch, which is downloaded automatically by Games for Windows Live's client.

P) EA's elongated introduction sequence turns Bulletstorm into a waiting game.
S) EA titles are notorious for making users wait through a long series of logo screens before loading the "game" part. To fix this issue in Bulletstorm, download the Bulletstorm INI editor. Next, extract the program into the game's Config directory:

C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\My Games\BulletStorm\StormGame\Config

Open the INI editor and load "StormEngine.ini." Using the "Find" function, search for the "[FullScreenMovie]" section. Finally, remove the line "StartupMovies=LoadingMovieStartup" and Save. (A backup file, StormEngine.ini.bak" should be created automatically.) Now, the game will load the title screen. (In some cases, the player should wait until after Games For Windows Live signs into the associated account. Otherwise, the game will regress to a never-ending loading screen.)

P) At "Act 3, Chapter 2" and other segments, the game loads a black screen instead of the level itself. I can hear gameplay, but Bulletstorm won't save Checkpoints or allow forward progress.
S) This was a difficult problem to solve, but I am happy to report that it can be fixed. Go to the game's EXE folder in Steam:

[C:\Program Files\]Steam\steamapps\common\bulletstorm\Binaries\Win32

Next, Right-Click on "ShippingPC-StormGame.exe" and choose Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab. Put the game into "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)" mode in the "Compatibility Mode" section. Next, check the following boxes: Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, and Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings. The level areas should now load properly. However, in problems continue, go to the nVidia Control Panel and, under "Manage 3D Settings," Add "ShippingPC-StormGame.exe" to the list. Next, make the following adjustments: Change "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to "8," set the "Triple buffering" option to "on," and set "Vertical sync" to "Force on."

Bully: Scholarship Edition
P) The game will not run on a 64-bit version of Windows.
S) Download Rockstar's official patch and the game should work properly.

Dead Rising 2
P) The game refuses to recognize the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller.
S) This is another case of X360CE saving the day, but I thought I'd give a more in-depth guide before continuing. First, move the X360CE executable to the game's install folder. Run X360CE and, when it loads, go to the "Presets" drop down menu. Choose "Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)" and click the Load button. Under the Advanced tab, make sure "Native Mode" is enabled. For the next step, trial and error will be needed: Under the Force Feedback tab, the user can choose to Enable or Disable Force Feedback. If the game does not recognize the 360 gamepad after this process, then this option will have to be disabled. Next, go to the Options tab and select Compatibility under the "Fake Mode" tab. Finally, save the profile and try the game. If there is a Windows "beep" sound effect during the initial startup of the game, then X360CE is working. (This can be disabled under X360CE's Options tab under "Use Init Beep.") Now, the game should be tested. In the case of Dead Rising 2, once the game has loaded, go to the Options menu, select the PC Settings, and view if the 360 Controller "Enable/Disable" option is selectable. If so, then the procedure was a success, and Enabling the controller will activate full 360 gamepad support.

P) Audio is low during cinematics or during gameplay.
S) To solve this issue, the Speakers must be set to 5.1 Surround Sound, with only the "Front Left and Right Speakers" enabled. To do this, go to the Windows Control Panel and Choose "Sounds." (Alternatively, right-click on the Sound icon in the System Tray and select "Playback Devices.") Go to the Playback tab, right-click on the Speakers currently in use, and select "Configure." In this menu, select "5.1 Surround" and, on the next menus, uncheck everything but the "Front Left and Right Speakers." Apply the changes.

Dead Space
P) The game lags horribly.
S) Go to the game's options menu and Disable Vsync.

Dead Space 2
P) EA's elongated introduction sequence is detrimental to my experience.
S) EA titles are notorious for making users wait through a long series of logo screens before loading the "game" part. To fix this issue, download this VP6 file, which replaces the one reserved for the "logo" part. Next go to the game's installation folder:

C:\[Dead Space 2]\movies\en

Rename "Trio_FrontEnd.vp6" to "Trio_FrontEnd_backup.vp6," which simply prevents the original file from being overwritten. Next, place the included "Trio_FrontEnd.vp6" in the game's "movies/en" folder. Now, the game goes straight to the title screen on startup.

P) The game's menu is off-centered and my Xbox 360 Wireless Controller refuses to function properly.
S) There are two parts to this solution. First, go into the game's installation directory. Next, look for "joypad_example.txt." One may not exist or appear as "joypad.txt." In those cases, either create the file in Notepad or edit the existing TXT file. Paste the following in place of the existing text:
Pad.RightDPad.Left = Button.4
Pad.RightDPad.Down = Button.3
Pad.RightDPad.Right = Button.2
Pad.RightDPad.Up = Button.1

Pad.Trigger.LeftTop = Button.7
Pad.Trigger.LeftBottom = Button.5
Pad.Trigger.RightTop = Button.8
Pad.Trigger.RightBottom = Button.6

Pad.Start = Button.10
Pad.Back = Button.9

Pad.LeftStick.Click = Button.11
Pad.RightStick.Click = Button.12

Pad.LeftStick.X = X-Axis
Pad.LeftStick.Y = Y-Axis.Inverted

Pad.RightStick.X = Borked
Pad.RightStick.Y = Borked
If the problem persists, keep the edits done to "joypad.txt" or "joypad_example.txt." Next, go to the Start Menu in Windows and open the Control Panel. Select the Device Manager option. Choose the "Human Interface Devices" and disable those that are not associated with the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. Restart the computer, and the game should function normally.

DOOM3 + Resurrection of Evil
P) In DOOM3, the Steam version asks for a CD Key.
S) This can be solved easily for those that purchased both DOOM3 and its expansion, Resurrection of Evil. Load up Resurrection of Evil and wait until the title screen is reached. Exit the game, and DOOM3 will no longer ask for a CD Key.

Grand Theft Auto III
P) Slow Menu - Menu options are invisible or slowly appear during mouse movement.
S) For nVidia users, go to the nVidia Control Panel and Force V-Sync on.

P) "No Video in Opening" Claim - Video plays with only audio.
S) The original PS2 version had text appear during the first 10 seconds of the opening video. Rockstar removed this footage because it originally read "DMA Design." Though there's no footage initially, the opening is playing normally.

P) User cannot ALT+TAB - ALT+TAB results in game being unable to function.
S) Download the GTA3EXE fix. Mirrors: 1 2 3
S) In addition, users should go under the EXE's Properties and, under "Compatibility," disable Visual Themes and Desktop Composition. If problems persist, set the game's resolution to match the desktop's. This is particularly important since the game frequently starts minimized, resulting in an inability to play.

P) Dark vehicles - In-game vehicles appear darker than usual.
S) Download the GTA3EXE fix. (Same file as above.) Mirrors: 1 2 3

[Special thanks to Chuplayer for the GTA3FIX file.]

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
P) "Please Insert GTA Vice City Disc" message appears after initial loading sequence.
S) To pass this screen, a physical copy of Vice City must be purchased. By replacing the Audio folder from Steam with the version from the physical disc, the game will be able to pass the "Please Insert GTA Vice City Disc" message.

P) There is no audio and the game's Options menu claims that there is "NO AUDIO HARDWARE."
S) To correct this problem, a physical copy of Vice City must be purchased and installed. The game disc must be present for the Audio to work normally.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
P) "gta-sa.exe" freezes upon execution; File detected as Malware.
S) Though some virus scanners may claim the game's executable is Malware, a full scan reveals no malicious code. For a more in-depth report on the "gta-sa.exe" file, go to my VirusTotal scan page.

The House of the Dead III
P) In Windows 7, the game will not quit normally - "Alt + F4" does not respond.
S) In the game's default install folder, "THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD3_EU," go to the "exe" folder and right-click on "hod3pc.exe." Under the program's "Properties," set the "Compatibility" to "Windows XP [Any]." In addition, Disable "desktop composition," "visual themes," and "display scaling on high DPI settings." The game should now respond to "Alt + F4," even when in-game.

Manhunt
P) On a Windows 7 (64-bit) computer, the game refuses to run.
S) Aj Collins' 64-bit Patcher will solve this issue.

P) User cannot ALT+TAB. (ALT+TAB results in game being unable to function.)
S) In Windows 7, users should go under the EXE's Properties and, for "Compatibility," disable Visual Themes and Desktop Composition. If problems persist, set the game's resolution to match the desktop's.

Prototype
P) The game runs horribly slow.
S) This solution is a bit abnormal. Under Windows Explorer, users must right click Computer and select Properties. Next, go to the Device Manager and expand the Human Interface Devices list. Now begin disabling the HID-Compliant Devices, leaving only the ones related to game controllers. The game should now run at full-speed.

The Saboteur
P) The game crashes frequently.
S) There is a beta patch by Pandemic that resolves this issue. (Fixed InputTemplate.txt included for the problem below.)

P) My 360 controller is causing the game's options menu to scroll endlessly.
S) Go to the game's installation folder and replace the original InputTemplate.txt with the fixed file, which is included with the above patch.

Saints Row 2
P) The game suffers from a horrible framerate and frequent crashes.
S) Thankfully, there has been an active mod community for Saints Row 2, bringing with it an amazing number of bugfixes. To get the game running like its console counterparts, I recommend the Gentlemen of the Row "Super Mod" by IdolNinja and the Saints Row 2 mod community. (360 gamepad users should choose the 360 button prompts build.) In addition, the Saints Row Powertools by IdolNinja and Rafael Rivera will solve any framerate-capping issues imposed by the development staff responsible for the port.

Super Meat Boy
P) The game runs too slow or fast.
S) Utilizing the Control Panel for the user's graphics card of choice can fix this problem. For example, in the nVidia Control Panel, select "Manage 3D Settings." Select or Add Super Meat Boy to the listing and set "Triple Buffering" to "On" and "Vsync" to "Force On." The game should run smoothly again, and characters will act normally during levels. Additionally, if problems persist, consider using Windowed mode, since this corrects a number of the game's current speed issues.

P) Characters "convulse" while in-game.
S) This is an issue with the Wireless 360 Controller. To remedy the problem, download X360CE and extract it Super Meat Boy's install folder. In X360CE, go to the drop down menu and choose "Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)" and click the Load button. Go to the Options tab and set Fake Mode to "Compatibility." Save and exit. The game should now function properly.

P) ALT+TAB causes the game to crash.
S) There are two sources of this problem. The first is a bug, which can be fixed by setting the Compatibility Mode for SuperMeatBoy.exe to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)." (Alternatively, the game can be played in Windowed mode.) The second source is the user's firewall preventing the game from sending information (Such as "mini-dumps," which are created in the instance of a crash.) to Team Meat. Allowing SuperMeatBoy.exe solves this issue.

Thank you to all contributors.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice work.. but my computer right now couldn't run plants v Zombies. I'd like to see it stickied.. then sorted by genre i guess.

Thanks for all the support. Super Meat Boy has been added to the list, since it suffers from a few small issues.

As I come across more problems, I'll do my best to solve them and report my results.

Forgive the clear "bumping" of the thread, but I solved some game-breaking problems in Bulletstorm. Thus, the game has been added to the list.

The Bulletstorm "Black Screen" loading error was one of the more irritating to fix, but I'm quite thrilled that I found a way to solve it.

EDIT: Whoa, I had no idea it had been more than a year since I started this thread. Truly, forgive me for doing some an aggressive "bump." I do believe in the content, though; I think CAG's [and PC users in general] should have access to a real list of bugfixes. There are far too many people asking "how do I solve this issue" and never getting an answer from the community. I hope those that encounter bugs and glitches find this thread a legitimate help.

EDIT 2: I had the displeasure of finding out that Dead Space 2 doesn't work well right out of the box. Having solved its issues so far, the game is now part of the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back