The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
51133213.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqnTNGhrtQ&feature=player_embedded

[quote name='Amblix']Looks like the new Gameinformer stuff got leaked.

On leveling:
Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.
Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.
Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:
Mysticism is gone.
18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.
Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.
Enchanting is back, and also, Weapon Smithing is apparently introduced

On the story and lore:
200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.
The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.
Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.
Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:
They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.
You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.
Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.
They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:
Third person view has been improved
5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.
Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore. Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.
Also, there is an option for No HUD

On quests:
Quests are much more dynamic now.
The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.
Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

Scans

1294436166308.jpg

1294436506003.jpg

1294437115139.jpg

4M3Mr.jpg

1294437818940.jpg

1294438061177.jpg

9lGZr.jpg

1294438461636.jpg

2cpx93t.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm excited to hear more about this game. Thanks for the logo SynGamer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not gonna lie, I watched the announcement like 10 times in a row. Then I popped Oblivion in again. Definitely shot right to the top of my most anticipated games list.

I'm pretty sure I'll be playing Oblivion again sometime soon. I actually like the Elder Scroll series more than the Fallout series too!

[quote name='ninja dog']I didn't see a 360 icon on there. Might be PS3 exclusive.[/QUOTE]

Er, not likely. Oblivion came out on 360 a full year before it came out on PS3, and Bethesda has never developed a PS3 exclusive. It will be on 360/PS3/PC for sure, the only question is whether it's released on PC simultaneously (my guess is yes)/

They trimmed down the end of the clip for the VGA broadcast (not surprisingly). I thought the title reveal was kind of quick when I saw it.

The full version is up on elderscrolls.com and has several more seconds of the song at the end.

I still haven't beaten the main story line in Oblivion as I just do everything else in the huge world lol. I think by the time I get my hands on Scrolls 5 that I'll be ready then haha. Let's hope they tweak the combat a bit though.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I still haven't beaten the main story line in Oblivion as I just do everything else in the huge world lol. I think by the time I get my hands on Scrolls 5 that I'll be ready then haha. Let's hope they tweak the combat a bit though.[/QUOTE]

It took me about 4 times starting it until I finally made my way through the main quest, there's just so much to do. I still haven't finished it on 360, so I'm going to try and do that before V comes out.

As for the combat, it will almost certainly still be using the Gamebryo engine, so you can expect something similar. However, they've said it will be a step forward from Fallout 3, which itself was a step forward from Oblivion. Combat's never been the strong suit of Elder Scrolls games though..

Going to be amazing.

Gonna start another playthrough on Oblivion soon!

So happy about this! GOTY 2011 for sure.

Mass... what? Unchar...who?

Well Lets not forget Arkham City also comes out in 2011 too, another strong contender for GOTY easily. (My personal GOTY for 2011 already)

But yes, this is so exciting. I honestly did not know they were revealing this and i pooped my god damn pants.. I thought.... what is this, another assassins creed? oh boy, the minute they said bethesda i freaked out, hell Im getting chills right now thinking about it haha.

2011 will be a stuffed ear to say the least, I cant even comprehend it at this point....

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I was so excited when I heard about this...

...and then they revealed that Mass Effect 3 will out around the same time.

Cya in 2012 Elder Scrolls!

:cool:[/QUOTE]

Yep. I'd probably wait for the inevitable game of the year version of this anyway. Have Dragon Age Ultimate (will start soon) and the inevitable Fallout New Vegas GOTY edition that can deal with my big open world RPG fix until I get around to this game.

I shit my pants/came simultaneously about 14 times while watching the VGAs last night, and this was one of the best announcements. I'm psyched.

Oh man I can't wait for this and we don't really know ANYTHING yet haha. Next Holiday is going to be insane with this, Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, Mass Effect 3...... just to name a few! Damnit I need more hours in the day (and more money in my bank account).

I still haven't played elder scrolls 4 (dont hate), do you guys recommend skipping it and waiting for this, or is it necessary to play 4?

I'm sure the new one will stand on it's own fine.

Oblivion is a great game though, and worth playing in its own rights.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I still haven't played elder scrolls 4 (dont hate), do you guys recommend skipping it and waiting for this, or is it necessary to play 4?[/QUOTE]

You should play Oblivion if for no other reason than it's an awesome game. :D

Kind of hope you can't make yourself invisible like you could in Oblivion

I know I could just not do it but when it was available it just made the game silly

Okay, so I never played Oblivion and I couldn't get into fallout.....but I really like what I see of Skyrim. Probably a dumb question, but is it worth it to go play Oblivion now? I mean, to prep for this game?

Thank god for a new engine. The engine they made for Oblivion sucked hard with the amount of bugs games that used it had. Now I just hope I don't end up hating the game itself like I did with Oblivion.

80+ hours played of Oblivion and played Morrowind on computer a lot but computer problems caused game to erase and never got back to trying to play again. Looking forward to another Elder Scrolls. Although it comes out on my birthday, I'll probably wait for a GOTY or whatever it'll be called that contains all the dlc it could have.

I hope its more Morrowind with Oblivion hit system. I loved both games though so either way watever. I can not wait for this game though!!!!! Really wanting some new races and just a ton of stuff to do.

Funny thing is I have the originals on PC from when they released. This was supposed to be just a trilogy.. Still an amzing set of games. I cannot wait for this. I am about half way through oblivion and recently sold off a ton of my games so I can concentrate on whats fun, and not what was cheap. I have just a few to go through before I get to oblivion again..

Why they dont re release the Arena game on Wii is beyond me its set for it with the mouse swinging the sword.

Man this made my day for sure.

[quote name='bvharris']Ah, Chameleon. Yeah, that definitely broke the game.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Enchanting your own items in general not only broke the game for me at a ridiculous pace but completely rendered the loot mechanic obsolete which made playing that much more taxing for me (one of the few that actually enjoy it). I'm willing to give the sequel a chance though especially with a new engine. I just hope they aren't going for the all-too popular "one size fits all" super RPG-Lite approach as my backlog is already bogged down as it is with titles stretching themselves too thin by juggling way too much conflicting content and not enough polish or balance for that matter.

I'm a little concerned that it is a sequel. To my knowledge they've never done that before. Obviously Morrowind to Oblivion was not a sequel in any way. Hopefully the main quest is better this time, I found the guild story lines and side quests much more entertaining than the main story line in oblivion. And +1 for a new engine, I couldn't have imagined them reusing an engine from 2006. Hopefully it's not the Fallout engine.

And to anyone who hasn't played oblivion get started now! It's incredible, I probably spent more hours in that game than any other 360 game I own.

Just about fell off my chair reading the announcement this morning. Now I DEFINITELY need to get back into Oblivion! Over 100 hours, and still not finished with the main story (and I have the 2 other expansions to play, as well).

[quote name='demonhellcat']And +1 for a new engine, I couldn't have imagined them reusing an engine from 2006. Hopefully it's not the Fallout engine.
[/QUOTE]

The Fallout engine is the same engine as Oblivion used (Gamebryo).

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas have all used updated versions of this same engine.

[quote name='bvharris']The Fallout engine is the same engine as Oblivion used (Gamebryo).

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas have all used updated versions of this same engine.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's good to know that it will be 100% new. Hopefully the combat will continue to evolve as well.

Looks like the new Gameinformer stuff got leaked.

On leveling:
Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.
Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.
Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:
Mysticism is gone.
18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.
Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.
Enchanting is back, and also, Weapon Smithing is apparently introduced

On the story and lore:
200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.
The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.
Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.
Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:
They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.
You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.
Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.
They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:
Third person view has been improved
5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.
Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore. Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.
Also, there is an option for No HUD

On quests:
Quests are much more dynamic now.
The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.
Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

Scans

1294436166308.jpg

1294436506003.jpg

1294437115139.jpg

4M3Mr.jpg

1294437818940.jpg

1294438061177.jpg

9lGZr.jpg

1294438461636.jpg

2cpx93t.jpg

I can't wait!! The forth one was one of my favorite games this gen, the only thing I hope they change is the enemy auto-leveling.

Stormtrooper skeletons, yee-haw! :D

Seriously, sounds good, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it. I was hyped for Oblivion too but felt let down in the end.

bread's done
Back