The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - coming 11.11.11

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)

[youtube]QNLKLCZN8wc[/youtube]​

Game Details:
What we kinda know so far:
  • The game has been in development for well over two (2) years now.
  • A new engine has been (internally) developed for this game.
  • From Game Informer:
    On leveling:
    Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.
    Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.
    Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:
    Mysticism is gone. 18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind. Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.

Enchanting is back, and also, Weapon Smithing is apparently introduced.

On the story and lore:
    200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live. The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.
    Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead. Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:
    They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.
    You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.
    Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around. They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:
    Third person view has been improved
    5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.
    Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore. Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.
    Also, there is an option for No HUD.

On quests:
    Quests are much more dynamic now.
    The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.

Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

Scans

Previews:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Day one for me. Considering they do any drastic things to the series that ruins it.[/QUOTE]
THIS, I will pre-order as soon as possible only so that I don't spend my money on anything else. I can't wait to see what they did with the engine; this would explain why it'll be 6 years in the making.

after starting Fallout 3 just recently, this game is on my radar.

Should I play Oblivion first, or just wait for this to come out?

I have heard people putting in multiple hundreds of hours and not even touching the main quest

I'd recommend starting with Morrowind (perhaps a heavily modded PC version) if you can stand it as the representation of Vvardenfell is wonderfully done. Oblivion plays much better though even if the world is a tad bland.

When it comes to drastic changes I actually trust Bethesda far more than most developers these days. I've watched as BioWare has all but gutted everything RPG from their games and it has become a real turn-off for me but Bethesda seems to do a great job of streamlining systems without losing the depth and complexity inherent in their RPGs.

[quote name='brewsterbedford']Bethesda have announced that Elder Scrolls V a sequel to Oblivion will be released in 2011
They have started production on it.[/QUOTE]

Not to be a dick, but the point of this post is? The OP already had that there since the 11th.

I say skip Oblivion. I found it quite boring actually. Morrowind was awesome. Hopefully, I can have more fun with this one.

For those with a Game Informer subscription, the latest issue (with the new Tomb Raider reveal) has a couple pages dedicated to the history of The Elder Scrolls on the back pages. It's VERY high level, but good to understand the overarching story.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']THIS, I will pre-order as soon as possible only so that I don't spend my money on anything else. I can't wait to see what they did with the engine; this would explain why it'll be 6 years in the making.[/QUOTE]
As soon as I can and I have the cash I am preordering it. Morrowind was one of my top three favorite RPG games of all time. Can't wait to play it.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Not to be a dick, but the point of this post is? The OP already had that there since the 11th.

I say skip Oblivion. I found it quite boring actually. Morrowind was awesome. Hopefully, I can have more fun with this one.[/QUOTE]

I loved Oblivion and have since gone back to try and play Morrowind (having never played it before) and just can't get into it. Definitely can't wait for this.

I am interested in diving into the Elder Scrolls universe. Never played one (Fallout 3 is one of my favs though).

That new Morrowind super PC mod pack makes it appealing to try and start there...

[quote name='Saint Noir']I am interested in diving into the Elder Scrolls universe. Never played one (Fallout 3 is one of my favs though).

That new Morrowind super PC mod pack makes it appealing to try and start there...[/QUOTE]

Link please?

Looks like the mod community cried foul and the author has stopped. Awesome. Anyone know where I can download what he had compiled?

[quote name='laaj']He should have gotten permission before distributing other people's work.[/QUOTE]

Link to the mod pack?

[quote name='SynGamer']Link please?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SynGamer']Link to the mod pack?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SynGamer']Anyone know where I can download what he had compiled?[/QUOTE]

You're gonna be amazed when you discover Google.

Looks like the new Gameinformer stuff got leaked.

On leveling:
Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.
Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.
Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:
Mysticism is gone.
18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.
Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.
Enchanting is back, and also, Weapon Smithing is apparently introduced

On the story and lore:
200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.
The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.
Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.
Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:
They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.
You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.
Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.
They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:
Third person view has been improved
5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.
Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore. Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.
Also, there is an option for No HUD

On quests:
Quests are much more dynamic now.
The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.
Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

Scans

1294436166308.jpg

1294436506003.jpg

1294437115139.jpg

4M3Mr.jpg

1294437818940.jpg

1294438061177.jpg

9lGZr.jpg

1294438461636.jpg

2cpx93t.jpg

Just read the entire GI article (I thought my subscription ran out but this was my last issue). I can honestly say that it's probably the #1 game I'm looking forward to this year. Not sure that I can think of anything that could potentially come from E3 that would trump it. Day -1 purchase for me!

I seriously don't know how I'll be able to wait until November for this game. I randomly saw Morrowind on the shelf at EB Games about 6 years ago and thought it looked pretty cool. I have been hooked ever since. Bethesda has never let me down (except maybe New Vegas) and I'm very excited that they decided to use a new engine. Hopefully this will be another 100+ hour sinkhole to dive into :bouncy:

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Just read the entire GI article (I thought my subscription ran out but this was my last issue). I can honestly say that it's probably the #1 game I'm looking forward to this year. Not sure that I can think of anything that could potentially come from E3 that would trump it. Day -1 purchase for me![/QUOTE]Yeah me as well I got my GI from the Gamestop near me because I moved recently and I read the entire article about Skyrim went back that day and reserved it, yeah I know it's many months away but Gamestop near me sells out months ahead of time with pre-orders. Cannot wait until this games comes out I loved Elder Scrolls IV and now that I know they are working on this I really hope the new Fallout Will be just as good if not better.

[quote name='SynGamer']New Vegas wasn't made by Bethesda...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Sadly it wasn't they did a pretty bad job on New Vegas, Bethesda she be more picky when letting others work on their titles.

Sorry console fans but this game is worthy of a gaming pc only.

the ps3/xbox hardware isnt going to push out those amazing graphics like a gaming pc will.

Thats not even accounting for the mods and the unofficial fixes (very necessary if you ever have played a bethesda game)

heck even if the game looked exactly the same the community mods alone are enough reason to own a gaming pc for this.

bread's done
Back