Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
9655 replies to this topic

#331 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#332 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#333 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#334 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#335 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#336 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#337 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#338 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

seriously... the last 5+ posts are hidden behind the spoiler tag..

#339 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

Two words: Krogan humping.

"Wrex." "Shepard." ... I always knew that dude was flirting with me.

Chubbyninja1319.png

What? Oh hell no! Hold up. Huh? Oh okay.

#340 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

seriously... the last 5+ posts are hidden behind the spoiler tag..

lol that's exactly what I was thinking.

Let's go ahead and reserve the spoiler tags for actual spoilers; i.e. information pertaining to events in the 3rd game's story. If someone is going to consider a feature as broad as the inclusion of same sex relationships or that there will be no new characters with which to have relationships then they probably shouldn't be participating in a forum discussion about the game.

#341 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#342 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

Re: spoilers, this is X's thread, I just work here. :-$

#343 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:52 AM

An interesting blurb about how sidequests in ME3 will play into the main plot. Also, in news that will surprise no one,
Spoiler

#344 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:04 AM

Just a question. Is anyone else like me and not anticipating this game?

Now hear me out.

I loved Mass Effect and I couldn't praise it more, finally a sci-fi RPG that was awesome (I know there have been others KOTOR, Chrono Cross ect, but this was the first on the ground soldier type I can recall right now). It got a lot of things right, customizable weapons, armor, abilities, and modifiers were what I craved. The missions were good, I liked the mako (it was fun to me) and he story was awesome. After playing it I couldn’t wait for more.

Then Mass Effect 2 came out.

I beat the game but I didn’t enjoy it. The story was good but that's all I can say in its praise. The game-play was no longer like that of Mass Effect it was closer to a shooter. The RPG elements were dumb-ed down and stripped out, and the exploration missions were all but gone in the main campaign. In the place of all this we got a shooter that I can only surmise was prompted because of the success of Call of Duty and similar games. The shooting became a main aspect of game play, constantly ammo starved and ducking behind cover. What happened to the old system of heat that allowed careful management, but never left you wanting for ammo? Was there some ban on weapons that don’t need constant heat sink exchange between the first and the second game? Also if they are just heat sinks, not clips, why can’t I pop off a few rounds when I’m out and just over heat a lot faster? The powers global cool downs, while short, made me feel under powered compared to the last game. The grenade system as well, I miss the old disc grenades; it was a viable tactical move to blow it just over cover. Also the hunt for minerals was the most tedious thing I have ever experienced in a video game, to constantly scan all the planets just to scrape enough mineral together to get your upgrades. I much preferred the on planet sections where I would have to scout terrain to find what I needed. The weapons, while looking cool we disappointing. I wanted to be able to find multiple types of weapons and make that age old RPG choice DMG over ACC but that was not in the cards. The same for armor, a few choices you get the best DEF and you are done. No bullet types (not counting powers) no sights, no cool downs, nothing to make a gun uniquely mine. This also affected my companions I loved developing all their add ons, attachments, and armor to suit what i needed them for in a fight, now it’s just skins.

I want to be excited for Mass Effect 3 but what they changed in Mass Effect 2 soured the whole series. I still play and love Mass Effect. I recently saw a story about how Bioware noted that some people missed the RPG elements that I talked about, and to appease them offered some weapon customization. A nice gesture but I can see it as being no more than chose from 3 stocks, 3 barrels, and 3 sights all with a slight effect.

A lot of this was getting it off my chest, I am not the only one in my group of friends that feels this way, however I know some that feel the reverse. That Mass Effect 1 sucked and Mass Effect 2 got it right. I am not the judge to tell anyone else what they should like and this all comes down to my preferences. However I think that with Mass Effect Bioware started out on a great thing and chose to make the money grab and killed it. They did the same with Dragons Age 2, after Dragons Age Origins was a success they thought they knew better and set it further from a RPG and closer to an action game with RPG elements. It’s like going from Oblivion to God of War. Or in the case of Mass Effect from Fallout to Brink.

Thanks for your time.
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#345 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

Bioware did get some criticisms about moving the gameplay in ME1 from "you got some of your shooter in my RPG" to "you got your RPG in my shooter" in ME2. I understand the appeal of moving it more towards a shooter than a RPG in a number of ways, though I think they went a little too far. Did I think it made ME2 a bad game? Not at all.

I think ME3 is going to have a nice fusion between ME1 and ME2 gameplay types and that it'll bring things together nicely. Until we start seeing some gameplay footage, it'll be just assumptions for a while.

We'll probably see something at E3 about ME3, and that should hopefully put things in a more clear light about how it's going to play and work.

#346 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

I think BioWare needs to walk a fine line here. It makes sense that they want to lure people who were disappointed by ME2's gameplay changes back into the fold. But if they oversell these new "RPG elements," there is going to be a repeat of the bad word of mouth surrounding Dragon Age II if (or really when, since we basically already know this is the case) they only amount to surface dressing on top of the same gameplay from ME2.

And Dragonsbane, I can only say that I diametrically disagree with every single idea you expressed in your post, practically to a word-- it's kind of remarkable really. :lol: I can sympathize though, I've certainly had instances where I felt like the direction that a game series should take was so incredibly obvious, I couldn't understand why I was the only one who could see it (I'm still incensed that JRPG battle systems still require the player to press buttons even though Final Fantasy XII made everything before it so clearly obsolete). :) Win some lose some I guess. I do hope that as a fan of the series you can find some enjoyment in ME3, even if it's not the game you wanted.

#347 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

I think BioWare needs to walk a fine line here. It makes sense that they want to lure people who were disappointed by ME2's gameplay changes back into the fold. But if they oversell these new "RPG elements," there is going to be a repeat of the bad word of mouth surrounding Dragon Age II if (or really when, since we basically already know this is the case) they only amount to surface dressing on top of the same gameplay from ME2.

And Dragonsbane, I can only say that I diametrically disagree with every single idea you expressed in your post, practically to a word-- it's kind of remarkable really. :lol: I can sympathize though, I've certainly had instances where I felt like the direction that a game series should take was so incredibly obvious, I couldn't understand why I was the only one who could see it (I'm still incensed that JRPG battle systems still require the player to press buttons even though Final Fantasy XII made everything before it so clearly obsolete). :) Win some lose some I guess. I do hope that as a fan of the series you can find some enjoyment in ME3, even if it's not the game you wanted.

Well as I said they story was still great it was the game play that lost my interest. I have hopes for ME3 but Ill wait until the game is out. Again no one is wrong here your opinion is as vaild as mine, I was just expressing mine.
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#348 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Is it too much to assume that we could actually have a "best-of-both worlds" game?

A game that has great shooting controls (ie: Gears of War-ish) AND great (deep) customizable RPG elements?

Mass Effect 2 improved on ME1's shooting mechanics but took a step backwards in the RPG department. Hopefully we can improve on both aspects for ME3.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#349 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

Stuntwoman claims work on upcoming Mass Effect 3 trailer

Could this mean a live action trailer? Or maybe she just did mo-cap or voice work? She is also credited on IMDB's Mass Effect 3 page as "Vigilante."

#350 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

I'd assume it's mo-cap work, as live action trailer would seem very out of place for a game like ME3.

I'm sure she had some voice work if she has something listed in the credits that's not a generic classification.

#351 Arikado

Arikado

...Like Clockwork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

Fuck it, this anticipation is killing me. With all of the hype surrounding the ME3 E3 demo, I think I'm going to buckle and consume every piece of info released next week.

I'm weak. :cry:

#352 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:16 AM

Go set the DVR to record G4, I'm sure you'll find something about ME3 in there.

I know I already have. ;)

#353 Arikado

Arikado

...Like Clockwork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:32 AM

Actually, Spike is where we'll probably get the most information. They're airing EA's press conference commercial free.

Also, check out this boner-inducing tweet from Casey Hudson. :drool:

@FloridaSun2 In #ME1 you faced the sacrifice of a few individuals. In #ME2, your whole team. In #ME3 the scale is entire civilizations.

#354 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

In #ME3 the scale is entire civilizations.

Posted Image

#355 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Actually, Spike is where we'll probably get the most information. They're airing EA's press conference commercial free.

Also, check out this boner-inducing tweet from Casey Hudson. :drool:

Thanks for the info about it. Added it to the DVR recording list with G4.

And yes, the tweet is very pants-tightening. :drool:

#356 Arikado

Arikado

...Like Clockwork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:24 AM

ME3 "Better with Kinect?"

Spoiler

If this is true, I seriously doubt it will be important to the main game, especially since it's launching on PC and PS3 (has the potential for Move support as well, I'm assuming). Even still, it is a little irritating to see the purple bar on the (early) box art. Guess we'll find out more soon enough.

#357 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:18 AM

ME3 with Kinect? Well, that certainly isn't something we'd be expecting. :-s

I hope that's just early concept art and that the odd purple bar will be gone with the final art, and any trace of Kinect from the game.

Though, it would give the romance options in-game some interesting "control mechanisms".

#358 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

Might have to get a Kinect if I can make Shepard back hand team mates at any time.

"fuck your missing family member you didn't care about for the past 20 years!"

*smack*

"We're trying to save the galaxy!"

#359 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

Cross your arms to end a conversation.

Air quotes to dismiss claims.

Do it BioWare!!

#360 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:38 AM

Games not out until next year, plenty of time to order and master the moves...