Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#4021 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

I just played with the best randoms ever. I was Salarian Infiltrator and they were both Salarian Engineers. We took about five gold matches with our fourth almost always bailing out on us. It was amazing.

Bought a bunch of Premium Spectre Packs. Now I've got a Black Widow 2, Widow 9, Geth Plasma Shotgun 9, and Graal 9. My Salarian and Krogan are STOKED.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 8/15/14   Shovel Knight      |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in beta! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#4022 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

pick up a special spectre pack and 99k got me an asari vangard, a quarian eng, and a hornet...

got a crusader in my commendation pack - guess I'll try it out but they are so damn heavy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4023 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Ari - Yeah as much as I wanted to full achievement score the entire trilogy I can't in clear conscience justify spending anymore money until this business gets settled one way or the other. (still haven't bought the Javik DLC yet).

The Javik DLC is pretty damn good. I hear you though.

Just beat
Spoiler

Edited by Ryuukishi, 04 April 2012 - 06:44 AM.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#4024 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Here's a question....when going for an insanity run, do you have to go on RPG mode? I'm making this assumption so you have total control. At the same time don't things go faster and easier in story or action mode? Just a thought since we didn't have these modes in the previous games.
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#4025 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Just a thought since we didn't have these modes in the previous games.

Yeah I had a friend I recommended the game to and said he might like the action mode since he plays CoD and other shooters as well. He's like yeah so there was a 30 minute video in the beginning lol. I'm like damn yeah those, for me with the normal RPG mode, were interactive cutscenes. He said with the action choice he couldn't customize his character. lol
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#4026 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I don't think the mode has any bearing on the achievement so you should be fine.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#4027 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Ink...you're notorious for spitting out spoliers without even knowing it.

#4028 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Fucking N7 Hurricane. Fuck.

#4029 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

But would the mode make it any easier or harder on an insanity run? I haven't completed an insanity playthrough on me1 or me2, so I'm more than a bit intimidated. I want to prepare.
Chubbyninja1319.png

#4030 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Story mode wouldn't work since it automatically changes the difficulty to Narrative. Action mode would probably be fine if you set the difficulty to Insanity, but honestly I would just keep it on RPG, why introduce any other variables.

Don't be intimidated, ME3 Insanity is just not overly difficult. I was able to beat ME2 on Insanity, but it was tough as nails and there were sections where I died 5 or 10 times before passing. ME3 I am rolling right through, I've rarely died. (ME1 doesn't really compare to the other two, since you can exploit certain class abilities to become effectively invincible in a way that you just can't do in 2 or 3.)

Just import an ME3 character (with the money you import you can upgrade your weapons to X right away) with a class you're comfortable with. No prob.

#4031 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Ryu's totally right. I was actually pretty bummed with how quickly I rolled through ME3 on Insanity. There was nothing anywhere comparable to the Collector Platforms section from 2.

Also, N7 Valiant. Neat. Now to see if I prefer Widow, Black Widow, or Valiant on el Infiltrato.

#4032 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Valiant > Black Widow. 80% of the Black Widow's damage, half the weight, zero recoil.

#4033 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

That's what I was thinking too, but playing with my buddy and his Valiant last night, I seemed to be out-damaging him by a pretty wide margin. I won't know which I prefer til I actually get in there though. Built in AP is nice, but it's not like I don't have piercing mods anyway.

Do we know if the damage stat bar is an absolute 0-100 scale? I know there was some debate on that for a while.

#4034 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

That's what I was thinking too, but playing with my buddy and his Valiant last night, I seemed to be out-damaging him by a pretty wide margin. I won't know which I prefer til I actually get in there though. Built in AP is nice, but it's not like I don't have piercing mods anyway.

Hmm. Well I'm basing that on the bar graphs in my single player game (both upgraded to X, both with Concentration and Extended Barrel mods). Maybe they're balanced differently in multi, or maybe the built-in Armor Piercing makes a big difference in practice. I still think the huge difference in weight, uh, outweighs the BW's damage advantage.

#4035 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thanks guys! That was just the info (and encouragement) I was looking for! Here's a follow up question. If I import, it'd be a vanguard and I hear they suck on insanity. I'd like something like overload as my power, but I work well with vanguard. So what's better......start fresh with a different class or just roll with a vanguard + import benefits?

Thanks again for the tips.
Chubbyninja1319.png

#4036 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

There WILL be an incident at PAX East in terms of Bioware being ridiculed/attacked, I guarantee it.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#4037 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

the valiant doesn't have the armor piercing power the widow's have...plus the SP is pretty different than the MP due to how the tech and biotics work. We don't get time dialation in MP. I don't have the black widow yet in MP, but I've been generally rocking the Widow mainly because it'll punch through guaridan riot shields and deal some damage through cover.

#4038 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, I love the AP. Also, my Salarian Infiltrator's got the -30% weight bonus on Sniper Rifles, so I don't get hit too hard in that regard. I'll report back when I get a chance!

#4039 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

(ME1 doesn't really compare to the other two, since you can exploit certain class abilities to become effectively invincible in a way that you just can't do in 2 or 3.)

You know, I never did get around to beating ME on insanity. Probably never will, but classes can be exploited in that?

#4040 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

You know, I never did get around to beating ME on insanity. Probably never will, but classes can be exploited in that?

Soldier with fully leveled Immunity, makes you nearly invincible and the cooldown is almost the same as the power duration so you just reactivate as soon as it ends.

Equip an assault rifle with maxed Frictionless Materials and you never have to stop firing.

It's a nice combo. :D The only things you even have to worry about are your weapon getting sabotaged, and knockdown attacks that prevent you from renewing Immunity. You might die once or twice throughout the game.

#4041 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thanks guys! That was just the info (and encouragement) I was looking for! Here's a follow up question. If I import, it'd be a vanguard and I hear they suck on insanity. I'd like something like overload as my power, but I work well with vanguard. So what's better......start fresh with a different class or just roll with a vanguard + import benefits?

Thanks again for the tips.

Energy Drain for a bonus power is basically Overload plus the added benefit of sapping some shield power. It's a great power that complements a lot of classes, I'm using it on my Soldier now.

I personally find Vanguard very difficult to play, I honestly had more trouble beating Normal with a Vanguard than Hardcore or Insanity with a Soldier. It's just way too easy to accidentally Charge into a bad situation and get mowed down before you can react. If you're comfortable with it though, that could be the way to go. I'd imagine you'd have an easier time as a Soldier or Engineer though.

It's definitely better to import than start fresh-- you have all your weapons and armor from the start, you can upgrade weapons to X, and you can probably get up to level 60 pretty early on.

#4042 yankeessuck

yankeessuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

There WILL be an incident at PAX East in terms of Bioware being ridiculed/attacked, I guarantee it.

They are probably setting themselves up for it by hyping this.

#4043 Lord_Kefka

Lord_Kefka

Son of a Submariner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

More spoilers in the link. Way too late to the rage fest a few pages ago. Didn't have time nor energy to respond. Still, another article that again tries to frame the point of mind of the ending-hater.
http://kotaku.com/58...nvested-players

Victory pack was all supplies, 5x of them and two different pieces of equipment. Got the N7 Sniper Rifle from my commendation pack. It's OK, loving the three shots before a VERY fast reload time. Missing the damage and armor piercing of the Widow however. :(

I'm good enough to finish Silver with competent randoms. Been playing with friends recently, just graduated them to silver but I want some gold paydays for those premium Specter packs!

Ryu, I'm interested in this Soldier build out for solo insanity. I'm only a few missions in, and it's fine but I worry about the endgame battles with the Reapers. Tell me more.

EDIT: Forgot to link this. Newest tweaks to MP yesterday. http://social.biowar...-9544143-1.html

Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

My Tradelist

#4044 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

cool, on the reset power cards not dropping if you have 3 or more already. gotdott should be thrilled.

#4045 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Got the Crusader II in the Victory pack and a Geth Plasma Shotgun in a P.Spec pack.

I worry about the endgame battles with the Reapers

Hardest part is probably the begining because of the uphill battle and shaking camera (hold LB or RB until it stops moving).

Spoiler

zantar45.jpg

#4046 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

cool, on the reset power cards not dropping if you have 3 or more already. gotdott should be thrilled.

Maybe if they would give me missles or something for the other 30-40 I already have

#4047 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

More spoilers in the link. Way too late to the rage fest a few pages ago. Didn't have time nor energy to respond. Still, another article that again tries to frame the point of mind of the ending-hater.
http://kotaku.com/58...nvested-players

Pretty good article. The question of
Spoiler

Ryu, I'm interested in this Soldier build out for solo insanity. I'm only a few missions in, and it's fine but I worry about the endgame battles with the Reapers. Tell me more.

Well, I'm level 60 with everything maxed except for three bars in Disruptor Ammo, which I only used on the geth missions. Wherever possible I chose options to maximize damage output over defensive strength and/or AOE. My bonus power is Energy Drain.

My weapon loadout is N7 Valiant X, Vindicator X, Paladin X, and N7 Hurricane X. The Hurricane is not really necessary but with Ultralight Materials it weighs virtually nothing and only decreases my cooldown bonus from +140% to +130%. Sometimes it's handy to slap Disruptor on it and take it out for Atlas mechs.

I've used James for every mission, and either Liara or Garrus as a third, except when Tali or EDI was mandatory. James and Garrus have the Particle Rifle X, and Liara has the Hurricane X with Squad Cryo Ammo active. I typically turn on Squad Cryo and then turn on individual Incendiary Ammo for myself.

Strategy is essentially hang back and snipe when possible, bring out Vindicator when enemies get close. I always try to have Adrenaline Rush active when shooting. Squadmates with Cryo Ammo equipped on fast-firing weapons (especially the Particle Rifle) will slow down or fully freeze practically every enemy which is a huge boon for sniping.

Another thing I've leaned on a ton is Concussive Shot's knockback effect for rushing enemies. It cools down so fast you can spam it almost as quickly as you can pull the trigger (or bumper I guess). It doesn't do much damage but it keeps husks or Phantoms from getting close to me while my squadmates do some harm.

I'll (hopefully) be finishing Priority: Earth tonight, so I'll let you know how that went. :) Brutes actually aren't bad at all, the Paladin X with Incendiary Ammo brings them down very quickly. Banshees still present a steep challenge.

#4048 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Energy Drain for a bonus power is basically Overload plus the added benefit of sapping some shield power. It's a great power that complements a lot of classes, I'm using it on my Soldier now.

I personally find Vanguard very difficult to play, I honestly had more trouble beating Normal with a Vanguard than Hardcore or Insanity with a Soldier. It's just way too easy to accidentally Charge into a bad situation and get mowed down before you can react. If you're comfortable with it though, that could be the way to go. I'd imagine you'd have an easier time as a Soldier or Engineer though.

It's definitely better to import than start fresh-- you have all your weapons and armor from the start, you can upgrade weapons to X, and you can probably get up to level 60 pretty early on.

It's been a bit difficult to play a Vanguard in ME3 than how it was in ME2, as I've been doing my first playthrough as a Vanguard. You're right about the Charge possibly getting you into a bad situation, though since I've been relying on Charge/Nova/Melee/Shotgun, retreat, repeat, it seems to be working well enough so far with Power Recharge percentage at +143% or so.

#4049 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Ink...you're notorious for spitting out spoliers without even knowing it.

:cry:

I assume you're talking about the Tali comment from earlier? My bad. I simply forgot to wrap that extra end in tags before I clicked submit. I don't quite think I've become notorious for it yet otherwise everyone would bitch non-stop about it. Only other screw up I can think of was a quest line boss fight for Skyrim (which I also apologized for). >_>

Now being notorious for being ultra critical of every game and developer I've come across? Now that I can totally understand.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#4050 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

How much does it cost to buy the Plat. Spectre pack in Allards/space bucks/points?

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png