Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
9303 replies to this topic

#5221 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Next Gen Calibrations

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

That is the crux of the "closure" issue to me.

Spoiler

While I think we are on opposites sides on this topic, you have nailed it in a most simple way. My thoughts....
Spoiler

If you have an ipad, I STRONGLY suggest you pick up the app/book "the Final Hours of Mass Effect 3". I've had it for a few weeks, but just putzed with it. Now I've read it through and it really gives you insight into the conscious decisions the team made, all the way up to the final days before release. Casey Hudson and Mac Walters, in particular, give a lot of insight into their thought process, why they did what they did, and where the series goes from here. It really gives a lot of info to the hardest of the hardcore. Specifically, it shares
Spoiler

In the end, if nothing else, I had a great ride I had and am having a great time talking about the game with friends and I am making new friends through discussions like this and online with multiplayer. I'm glad that my time with the game will be winding down because my wife is ready to kill me for spending so much time playing games and staying up late. #-o

mass_effect_n7_training_program_custom_lChubbyNinja1319.png

~<{   Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition  }>~

#5222 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

Lol this is a cool wallpaper, happy ending
Spoiler

Eh it's alright; it's missing
Spoiler

Also I wouldn't mind a strategy game akin to something like Sins of a Solar Empire in the Mass Effect universe using a galactic map kind of interface for part of it.

Edited by Spybreak8, 29 April 2012 - 02:50 AM.
sp, later game pref

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#5223 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Spoiler

You're right, I could not disagree with that statement more completely. :lol: But I think the fact that the series can be interpreted and appreciated in such totally different ways just speaks to how great it is.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#5224 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

You know what I miss from ME2? Not being able to sell out to the shops for lower prices. I imagine there's some in-game text blurb that explains the Shop Owners got wise to Shepard and decided to band together to prevent it from happening again.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#5225 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

They made the discounts a part of Glyph's terminal now. A strange decision, but I imagine it had something to do with "I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel" becoming a meme.

If there's anything I miss, it's all the comedic moments from ME2. It was a much funnier game than ME1 and then they had to make ME3 really serious, with fewer comedic moments.
Fight for the Lost

#5226 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Mass Effect 3 isn't really one for charm. Nor is it one for little details.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#5227 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

I thought there were some pretty good lines. Joker's gun that fires thresher maws, "That was a joke," Javik ridiculing James.

#5228 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Next Gen Calibrations

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

I thought there were some pretty good lines. Joker's gun that fires thresher maws, "That was a joke," Javik ridiculing James.

Prothy is such a rascal! It was weird hearing him laugh, actually.

#5229 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

You're right, I could not disagree with that statement more completely. :lol: But I think the fact that the series can be interpreted and appreciated in such totally different ways just speaks to how great it is.

Aye. Thing for me is that... well, that's kind of boring. Bioware doesn't really do interesting stories. They do generic save the x from y. They make some pretty interesting characters and they write some pretty good lines for 'em (usually) and they hire some pretty damn good voice actors and sometimes, sometimes they even animate 'em well.

But the "grand story"?

Nah. Not really their thing.

Posted Image

#5230 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Posted Image

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3

#5231 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Just got the game today and have a question. I have tried my best to avoid spoilers and everything, and not really paid much attention to all the DLC and online stuff but I was wondering should I get this From Ashes DLC? I have just started the game
Spoiler
and I heard its best to play it pretty much straight away.

I have 1020 MS points and have no real sign of spending them on anything soon.

By the way I am a fan of the series, played them all through and imported my character all the way also if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#5232 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

There are two answers to this.

Yes, you should get it because the character you get has more plot-relevance than anyone else in your squad. Like, dude's super important.

No, you should not get it because Fuck you guys for selling a core part of the plot on release day for ten dollars.

Posted Image

#5233 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, see this was what I was thinking.. I just ask because i'm really excited to start playing but don't want to progress too far

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#5234 Action!

Action!

Animatah.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

That joke killed me, dude. Also, James and Garrus comparing war stories/penis size was damned near my favorite exchange in the game.

I draw sometimes.

Trade List

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#5235 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, see this was what I was thinking.. I just ask because i'm really excited to start playing but don't want to progress too far

I'd say get it because they made so many unique lines for it, the character's rather hilarious (something sorely lacking in ME3), and if you believe some people (I don't), he comes with the best needle shooter.
Fight for the Lost

#5236 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

I have tried my best to avoid spoilers and everything, and not really paid much attention to all the DLC and online stuff but I was wondering should I get this From Ashes DLC?
Thanks.

Yeah pick up the DLC and then afterwards take a shower for feeling dirty.
$ $
---

Spybreaker.pnguc.png

#5237 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Next Gen Calibrations

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yeah pick up the DLC and then afterwards take a shower for feeling dirty.
$ $
---

This, minus the shower part because this dlc is totally worth it and this content WAS NOT READY to launch with the retail game. It was cut from the main game due to time constraints, so we are lucky we got it at all.

#5238 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Irrelevant.

Posted Image

#5239 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Is there a point to getting the plot relevant character when
Spoiler

CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#5240 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Definitely get Javik. From Ashes is worth $10 and the rest of the game is worth $60, screw the other noise. :D

And make sure to take James on his recruitment mission, he has a great exchange with Liara if you do.

#5241 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

This, minus the shower part because this dlc is totally worth it and this content WAS NOT READY to launch with the retail game. It was cut from the main game due to time constraints, so we are lucky we got it at all.

Actually, not true (if some other developers are to be believed). According to others, there's a period of time (a few weeks, maybe a month) where they don't see the game. During this time, they create some DLC. This maybe when From Ashes was created.

Look, in all honesty, I don't care that it came out at launch. I'd just rather it not be on the DAMN DISC (Capcom loves to do this which is why I'm not supporting them). Which it wasn't. If it was, you'd have downloaded a 12kb file, not a ~630MB file.
Fight for the Lost

#5242 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Is there a point to getting the plot relevant character when

Spoiler

Well yea, some people choose to enjoy the other 95% of the game.

#5243 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Actually, a significant chunk of From Ashes is on-disk already.

And whether it is or not is irrelevant to me. I can't fucking wait for Dark Knight Rises, but that doesn't mean I'd take it a month early, but I have to pay ten dollars for any scene with Gordon in it 'cause they did those last.

Posted Image

#5244 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Actually, a significant chunk of From Ashes is on-disk already.

And whether it is or not is irrelevant to me. I can't fucking wait for Dark Knight Rises, but that doesn't mean I'd take it a month early, but I have to pay ten dollars for any scene with Gordon in it 'cause they did those last.

Not really a good analogy since Gordon is a recurring character in the series.

No need to beat a dead horse with the From Ashes whining, all he asked was if the DLC was worth it and the general consensus is that Javik is a great character.

#5245 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Alright, then.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#5246 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Alright, then.

Spoiler

You're just not good at using analogies to emphasize your point. If the antagonist isn't in the movie when it's first shown then that's a completely different issue. Catwoman, maybe, if she isn't an integral part of the plot but contributes to the lore.

People can play through the game without Javik and there won't be a significant impact on the game as a whole. The shitty packaging strategy that Bioware came up with was that the more devoted players who care about the extra pieces of lore will buy the collector's edition and get it anyway, and the others/newcomers/casuals could play through without it and grab it later if they wanted to. Dumb on their part? Maybe, but that has been discussed to death. If someone asks if the DLC's content is good/worth it, bringing up the on-disc or not issue is what's irrelevant.

#5247 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Jaysus Fuck. If I pointed out a cloud that looked like a rabbit, you'd say no because it doesn't have claws or fur.

Posted Image

#5248 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Next Gen Calibrations

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Assets including the character model are on disc. But the contents of the specific mission are not. That's been documented and if you do a little research you'll find this was done for very good, technical reasons. Bottom line is that its good dlc including a good mission and an excellent and meaningful additional squadmate. I couldn't imagine experiencing the game without Prothy.

#5249 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

True, yet on disc or not is not the matter of concern. It's the decision to make loyal fans, the ones that will undoubtedly pick it up, pay for said content instead of doing what they did with ME2, tying it to a new games networked system.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png

#5250 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Next Gen Calibrations

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

True, yet on disc or not is not the matter of concern. It's the decision to make loyal fans, the ones that will undoubtedly pick it up, pay for said content instead of doing what they did with ME2, tying it to a new games networked system.

Please 'splain again, my friend? I don't follow.

On a semi-related side note, I'm curious if future larger-scale DLC, like kasumi or shadow broker scale, single player DLC will include online components. I kind of have a feeling that single player dlc and multiplayer dlc will be separate with MP being free for two reasons A) to keep people playing and B) microtransactions = dolla dolla bills, y'all
Spoiler
. But, we won't see achievements with MP dlc.

Edited by chubbyninja1319, 30 April 2012 - 01:28 AM.