Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
9655 replies to this topic

#6391 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

The "Legend" save they are talking about should be the first auto save you come across. Are you saying you have none of those at all? Either way that save point isn't mandatory. You can use whatever you have available before Cerberus assault to experience "everything".

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#6392 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

Just ran into a guy in a random gold that glitches his gun so it was like shooting a rocket launcher semi auto. I saw him once pull out rocket and start to shoot it then switch to his main gun. Needless to say he kept bragging about his score and made fun of us.

#6393 Arikado

Arikado

...Like Clockwork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

Went through all of the ending choices tonight. My rankings, as well as some spoilerific thoughts:

Spoiler

Edited by Arikado, 27 June 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#6394 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

There's practically a cult at BSN devoted to the idea that Karpyshyn walked on water and if only he hadn't been replaced by Casey Hudson/Mac Walters we'd be living in a world of sunshine and butterflies and perfect Mass Effect games.

He certainly sounds more capable than hiring people who don't even like the gameplay part of the game.

#6395 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Red: Report the guy/girl if you get the chance. It's a well known glitch you can only pull off with certain weapons. You can get banned for doing it.

He certainly sounds more capable than hiring people who don't even like the gameplay part of the game.

Oh no you didn't!

...but I'm glad you did.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#6396 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

This will seem strange to ask, but is there a new variation in the final dream?
Spoiler

And refusal I had happen by different means.
Spoiler

#6397 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

It almost seems like Casey Hudson got the whole "I'm god and it's my game, screw your writing" ego.

And while I'm not one that follows whoever that Karpyshyn person is (I assume the original lead writer for ME3), whatever he had sounds a lot better than MAJORLY FLAWED creative bull.
Fight for the Lost

#6398 Lord_Kefka

Lord_Kefka

Son of a Submariner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Wow. I can't believe I stayed up this late on a work night to replay from the beginning of the Cerberus Assault mission like they said. And they did it to me again. I got all into it, up until the very very end. I should have youtubed these from the start. Thinking I should sell my CE's now. Which hurts, cause ME2 ranks in my top games.

Spoiler

Sigh. It does what it said it would do. Unfortunately, in my opinion the whole ending was too rushed and too entrenched in their "creative decision" to ever be accepted. I'm out Bioware. Thanks for the ride.

Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

My Tradelist

#6399 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

They did a wholesale rejection of the Indoctrination Hypothesis (Yes, it's "hypothesis", not theory because a theory has to be backed up by something called "evidence" and be a little something else called "repeatable") months ago. Remember that whole panel BioWare had? Not once did they address, discuss, or even acknowledge its existence.

The Indoctrination Hypothesis was out LONG ago. It was just that some refused to accept it.
Fight for the Lost

#6400 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

No doubt that Bioware did not intend to do an indoctrination ending. I'm just saying that it would be more entertaining than what they did release.

#6401 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Wow. I can't believe I stayed up this late on a work night to replay from the beginning of the Cerberus Assault mission like they said. And they did it to me again. I got all into it, up until the very very end. I should have youtubed these from the start. Thinking I should sell my CE's now. Which hurts, cause ME2 ranks in my top games.

Spoiler

Sigh. It does what it said it would do. Unfortunately, in my opinion the whole ending was too rushed and too entrenched in their "creative decision" to ever be accepted. I'm out Bioware. Thanks for the ride.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#6402 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

After thinking about it more, I think the Mass Effect series is a good example of death by committee. I'm reminded of something Adam Carolla said once.

When did any art form get better by committee? Did anything ever get better, is there any great work, any concerto, any painting, any poet, where a hundred fucking friends of your mom just stood there and said, I don't think I like it? Change that, Leonardo. That should be different. No, it's impossible.

When people said they want more closure, Bioware caved and gave it to them. When they wanted a Garrus romance, they caved and gave it to them. When they wanted Shepard to have gay sex because that's hip and progressive, they caved and gave it to them. When they wanted two different covers, one with femshep and one with broshep, two covers they received. When a vocal minority of whiny feminists complained when the blonde femshep won that stupid online poll, it was changed to the redhead femshep. When people wanted more accessible gameplay, we got Mass Effect 2: Modern Warfare, and Mass Effect 3: No Gameplay Mode. Even the default femshep was chosen by the so-called fans. This was all on top of whatever interference EA caused by virtue of simply being EA. Don't get me started on the ridiculous addition of multiplayer.

Bioware never once thought, "No, Fuck you. Fuck your requests. If you don't like it don't play it. Go make your own game with buttsex and fan fiction-level writing." In an effort to pander to everyone, to tolerate everybody and their mother's wishes, they alienated their core audience with each iteration. For example, making the game more accessible to women means, according to one Bioware staffer, giving players the option to skip gameplay. In the realm of stupid video game controversies, that statement is far more offensive than anything Anita Sarkeesian could think up.

I feel Bioware told the story they wanted to tell in Mass Effect. I think there's a lot to be said for the auteur theory. Not that a game like Mass Effect can be done without a team backing you up, but I think art is best when there is a strong leader who does not compromise on their vision for anyone, not the fans, not the publisher, no one.

For Mass Effect 3, I think they just wanted the most amount of people to like them and they failed miserably pandering to everyone.

Edited by Spokker, 27 June 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#6403 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

For Mass Effect 3, they LITERALLY lied to everyone about what the ending would encompass. And then when they did the Extended Cut, they lied that wouldn't add an ending (they did), and that ending basically told them to Fuck off.

If that's pandering, then I misunderstand the definition of pandering.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#6404 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

It tells me they failed to stick to their artistic vision, but that shit was happening long before they decided to release The Extended Cut.

But that's sort of what the ending DLC was all about, continuing with the futile plan of trying to please everyone. Fans are inherently fickle, and you will never please anyone, but if you have a vision and stick to it, even the most cynical fan will respect you deep down.

#6405 Arikado

Arikado

...Like Clockwork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6406 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Wow, can we please not do the gay romance and Jennifer Hepler debates here.

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#6407 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

I , too, stayed up way too late. But it was "Bad Decision Tuesday". I just did one ending, my canon ending, and was very pleased. The extra content was really strong. It felt complete, but not tacked on or too wordy where it dragged on. Great job, Bioware!

Edited by chubbyninja1319, 27 June 2012 - 12:18 PM.

Chubbyninja1319.png

What? Oh hell no! Hold up. Huh? Oh okay.

#6408 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

I did two endings yesterday before bed... and came away with mixed feelings. They're better than what they were, granted that's not saying much, and did much to improve on things but fail way short of actually fixing the game and while I'm happy on some level that Bioware did at least this it still doesn't excuse them for what they shipped and just how poorly they handled the whole thing...

Said it before and still mean it... The trilogy deserved a better conclusion than what it got and Bioware games have gone from a CE preorder (Day 1 buy) for me to a buy at some later point... like when its 20 bucks and my money doesn't affect their bottom line in the least.

Edit: Oh, yeah, more DLC teased...

http://www.joystiq.c...-much-more-dlc/

#6409 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Spoiler

Good to know. I didn't have much time last night, only to the beginning of priority earth, and was wandering when I would see something new, and why I hadn't yet.

#6410 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

I am enjoying exploring the new content with the EC, but I'm really excited to hear about some single player DLC. This leviathon business sounds really interesting.

Chubbyninja1319.png

What? Oh hell no! Hold up. Huh? Oh okay.

#6411 simosaurus

simosaurus

Wasting time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

I played through the "red" ending last night and was very satisfied. I did not really hate the way it had originally been released, but this definitely was an improvement.

#6412 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm about ready for some Shadow Broker scale DLC, please. I'd also love them to explore additional squadmates at some point. It took me a while to warm to Zaeed and Kasumi in 2--what with their lack of legit dialogs--but Kasumi ended up being one of my favorite squadmates.

Looking forward to seeing what they have planned.

Posted Image

Edited by ActionKazimer, 27 June 2012 - 03:00 PM.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 9/29/2014   Anime doodles      |      Trade List

I do art commissions. Ask me to draw for you.

The game that I animate for is OUT NOW! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#6413 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

The "Legend" save they are talking about should be the first auto save you come across. Are you saying you have none of those at all? Either way that save point isn't mandatory. You can use whatever you have available before Cerberus assault to experience "everything".

yeah I think I got it. I saw no autosave before Cerberus but one before the final Citadel. So I played that. I don't think the extended scenes really helped me understand. It was kinda of everything I assumed happened anyway.

For some reason one of my saves simply wasn't working which confused me.

#6414 polly

polly

Karma Policeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Spoiler

Edit: Shit, I guess that's kind of a spoiler. Sorry. Not sure who in this thread isn't aware of the ending at this point though.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

#6415 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

so I guess this is how the guy I ran into last night was doing it

Look, there's no easy way to ask this so I'm just gonna do it...

Does anyone want to be gay lovers with me in Fable 3?

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#6416 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

I wish they would have pandered on the ending. Despite all their accommodations, the story of most of the game was still great. It actually seems the opposite is true. One person had too much control over the end and no one told him he's retarded.

#6417 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

The Reject ending is basically

Spoiler

For once, I agree with you.

This ending had the most potential. Actually, every ending had a ton of potential that was just squandered. I can dig the new stuff a lot more than the old, but they royally fucked up. The ending to a 3 game, 5 year series deserves more attention, or at least just as much attention, as the whole journey. Basically, Bioware dropped the ball.

And Fuck whoever said these new endings were just clarification. You basically told us nothing before, and we were just supposed to ensue all of the things you added. And Fuck you again, because you said the endings wouldn't change. Well guess what? They did, and they should have. Don't pretend you didn't screw up
Spoiler
Anyways, I'm ready for some new single player DLC. I'd prefer something that focuses on the events after the ending, but I doubt we'll get that.

#6418 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

so I guess this is how the guy I ran into last night was doing it

Well shit, the Scorpion is one of my favorite guns. Guess I'll have to avoid it until this gets fixed. Thank God the Falcon isn't affected too.

EDIT: Nevermind, it affects my three favorite guns, Scorpion, Striker and Falcon. Great.
Posted Image

#6419 Lord_Kefka

Lord_Kefka

Son of a Submariner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

They did a wholesale rejection of the Indoctrination Hypothesis (Yes, it's "hypothesis", not theory because a theory has to be backed up by something called "evidence" and be a little something else called "repeatable") months ago. Remember that whole panel BioWare had? Not once did they address, discuss, or even acknowledge its existence.

The Indoctrination Hypothesis was out LONG ago. It was just that some refused to accept it.

Yes, I realize that Bioware pretty much snubbed the theory some time ago with their statements of "artistic vision". But as JasonTerminator eloquently stated, while it was far from perfect it had less plot holes and answered more questions than the original vision. The arguments made for it in the well-put together Youtube video had items that led more towards evidence than "magic star-child controls Reapers and the cycle". That was at no point foreshadowed. Sure, it may be "beyond comprehension", but then why try to explain all of your motivations and ask the player to make the decision on the ending?

It tells me they failed to stick to their artistic vision, but that shit was happening long before they decided to release The Extended Cut.

But that's sort of what the ending DLC was all about, continuing with the futile plan of trying to please everyone. Fans are inherently fickle, and you will never please anyone, but if you have a vision and stick to it, even the most cynical fan will respect you deep down.

Good point. It did smack of trying to literally add in community wishes instead of clarifying their vision. I did appreciate the additional exposition (for the most part), but a lot of it felt like "here you go, we're putting in what you want." And to be clear, that's not what we were most upset about. I didn't want "my" ending in the sense of exactly what I wanted to happen. A lot of people, including myself are happy to be told a story, but the original was like getting to the end and forgetting what happens. So you make general broad statements and end up painting yourself into a corner. Which leads to......

I wish they would have pandered on the ending. Despite all their accommodations, the story of most of the game was still great. It actually seems the opposite is true. One person had too much control over the end and no one told him he's retarded.

Yep. The story was magnificent through-out and it seems like one person's vision over-rode all of the themes and storytelling.
Spoiler

General additional ending thoughts:
Spoiler

Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

My Tradelist

#6420 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Posted Image

after the first round where he killed everything with a rocket I sat back and waited 11 min for the full clear on gold, you can guess who glitched

Look, there's no easy way to ask this so I'm just gonna do it...

Does anyone want to be gay lovers with me in Fable 3?

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ