Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
9647 replies to this topic

#6511 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

So I haven't touched EC yet b/c of Dawnguard/Walking Dead Ep.2, but is it confirmed you only need 3100 GR after the debuff to see everything? Determines whether I need to play MP again or not. Thanks in advance.

#6512 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#6513 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

So I haven't touched EC yet b/c of Dawnguard/Walking Dead Ep.2, but is it confirmed you only need 3100 GR after the debuff to see everything? Determines whether I need to play MP again or not. Thanks in advance.

You're good.

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised by all the happy remarks about the ending now... Not saying you all are wrong its I just don't feel any of it. It was rubbish before, its still rubbish now, though certainly better (which isn't saying much), and I'll certainly not be buying anything from Bioware at anywhere close to full price. (and I've been a CE/LE customer of theirs for a very, very, long time...)

#6514 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'm thinking so, as I just received an achievement my second playthrough that I didn't have on my first one, which was pre-EC download. PT #2 is going after EC, and last night after I hit MS above 6200 and EMS over 3100, I received the "Master and Commander" achievement.

I'm guessing that achievement is for having enough EMS to unlock all the endings, and I have over that amount on PT #1 though didn't get that achievement. If that's the case, then I think EMS of 3100 and more is correct.

Then again, I have to go back and redo last night's work because one hub mission won't be doable because it's nerfed as I went to the planet in question before I had this other hub mission available and now it won't come up. Trying to do all the hub missions, side missions and the like this time around to see how much total MS comes up on a single playthrough, with
Spoiler

#6515 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

You're good.

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised by all the happy remarks about the ending now... Not saying you all are wrong its I just don't feel any of it. It was rubbish before, its still rubbish now, though certainly better (which isn't saying much), and I'll certainly not be buying anything from Bioware at anywhere close to full price. (and I've been a CE/LE customer of theirs for a very, very, long time...)

Well everyone's entitled to their opinions so I'll acknowledge I can understand yours. I'll continue to support Bioware with later games due to them 1) even releasing the EC and 2)releasing it for free. If you talked to me about my relations towards future Bioware games after initially finishing the game, prior to the EC, you'd get a hugely opposite opinion lol.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#6516 Lord_Kefka

Lord_Kefka

Son of a Submariner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Look Mass Effect, we had some good years. And every story has it's end. It could have ended happily for us, content to ride off into gaming lore sunset, surrounded by little spin-off titles on handheld devices. But you ended things abruptly, hurtfully calling me entitled, and left me confused and alone.

This extended edition ending is our "let's meet for coffee and give our stuff back" months later moment. You tried to give me closure, and in some ways I guess it did. Still, some of your story still doesn't make sense. I don't fully trust it, like it, or know what it all means. But I think I'm at peace with it now.

There's no going back from here. I have to move on, there are plenty of other gaming fish in the sea. I'll always treasure the good years, Mass Effect 2 rates in my top three games ever. Too bad it only serves as a beacon of what could have been.

Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

My Tradelist

#6517 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Look Mass Effect, we had some good years. And every story has it's end. It could have ended happily for us, content to ride off into gaming lore sunset, surrounded by little spin-off titles on handheld devices. But you ended things abruptly, hurtfully calling me entitled, and left me confused and alone.

This extended edition ending is our "let's meet for coffee and give our stuff back" months later moment. You tried to give me closure, and in some ways I guess it did. Still, some of your story still doesn't make sense. I don't fully trust it, like it, or know what it all means. But I think I'm at peace with it now.

There's no going back from here. I have to move on, there are plenty of other gaming fish in the sea. I'll always treasure the good years, Mass Effect 2 rates in my top three games ever. Too bad it only serves as a beacon of what could have been.

That's cute, noting how years of awesome in a relationship can change in a few short moments. But you know what, this EC reminded me that there was so much more good that was had, that because there was this EC after the disappointment, I can always look back and be happy, because overall, it was always about the adventures Shepard and I shared.

#6518 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Really good. :D

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#6519 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Lol I look back with the nostalgia of my first girlfriend; her name was Mass Effect 1. Sure she was rough around the edges but she was something, really giving you some experience. Then I saw Mass Effect 2, oh man it was love at first sight and things were good, really good. We traveled a lot and saw many sights. After a few years we drifted apart due to life's quirks and then Mass Effect 3 found me. We had a good ride but than out of the blue her husband showed up and I found out she was married!

lol Monday, slow work day;)
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3

#6520 Arikado

Arikado

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

I absolutely hated the original ending. I kept my expectations in check for the Extended Cut back when it was announced and I'm glad I did, because I was pleasantly surprised by what we got. There was no way in hell BioWare was going to scrap the entire ending and write
Spoiler
out, but I think they did a decent job of meeting fans somewhere around the middle at a compromise point. There are still problems with the ending, but at least we now get to see
Spoiler
I found
Spoiler
much more interesting because of this.

Mass Effect's strongest point has always been its characters and the universe they inhabit. During the Extended Cut, I found it difficult not to get attached again. The
Spoiler

The Extended Cut did a very good thing for me: it put me at peace with the series. The whole original ending disaster seriously left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The speculation, the arguments, game journalism being exposed for the bullshit that it is, the "entitled and whiny" insults, "artistic integrity..." the list goes on and on. The Extended Cut washed those horrible tastes out. I'm actually excited to play my other Shepards and eventually play through the entire series again. I'm even interested in the Leviathan DLC that seems all but confirmed at this point, and there was no way in hell I would have touched it pre-EC.

Thanks for the Extended Cut, BioWare. It's still pretty amazing to me that they even did it... whether you love it or you hate it, it is a huge concession. It bumped the ending up from a 1 out of 10 to a 5 out of 10 for me. Did I want better? Sure... but I can live with what we've got now.

P.S.: Tali is still the best space waifu.
Posted Image

#6521 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Posted Image

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 9/2/2014   DragonCon 2014 Cosplay      |      Trade List

I do art commissions. Ask me to draw for you.

The game that I animate for is OUT NOW! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#6522 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Ahhhh! BUSSE!!! that's scarier than a pissed off banshee in a tight hallway.
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#6523 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Maybe I'm the only one, but I completely dumped any bit of the "games are art" mindset I had because of the original ending controversy. I wasn't nearly as upset as most are over it, but reading all the defense of it as art made me sick. A lot of people defending it came out with a "holier than thou" artsy fartsy "you aren't smart enough to understand" mindset.

#6524 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

reading all the defense of it as art made me sick. A lot of people defending it came out with a "holier than thou" artsy fartsy "you aren't smart enough to understand" mindset.

One of the most disappointing things about this whole episode was the reaction of game magazines and websites, which almost without exception were ultra-defensive of BioWare while attacking fans as entitled, stupid, and out of line. While I think anyone would admit that some fans' reactions were extreme and off base, and there's room for reasonable views on both sides of this dispute or whatever, it was just startling how quickly the "journalists" took BioWare's side and circled the wagons. Just shows you where their bread is buttered.

#6525 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

Posted Image

I'm on to you..

#6526 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

Maybe I'm the only one, but I completely dumped any bit of the "games are art" mindset I had because of the original ending controversy. I wasn't nearly as upset as most are over it, but reading all the defense of it as art made me sick. A lot of people defending it came out with a "holier than thou" artsy fartsy "you aren't smart enough to understand" mindset.

I wholly believe that games can be art (Ebert can take his opinions and shove it). But what BioWare did? That's not art. That's just pissing all over fans and telling them it's raining.

No one bought that crap.
Fight for the Lost

#6527 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

I absolutely hated the original ending. I kept my expectations in check for the Extended Cut back when it was announced and I'm glad I did, because I was pleasantly surprised by what we got. There was no way in hell BioWare was going to scrap the entire ending and write

Spoiler
out, but I think they did a decent job of meeting fans somewhere around the middle at a compromise point. There are still problems with the ending, but at least we now get to see
Spoiler
I found
Spoiler
much more interesting because of this.

Mass Effect's strongest point has always been its characters and the universe they inhabit. During the Extended Cut, I found it difficult not to get attached again. The
Spoiler

The Extended Cut did a very good thing for me: it put me at peace with the series. The whole original ending disaster seriously left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The speculation, the arguments, game journalism being exposed for the bullshit that it is, the "entitled and whiny" insults, "artistic integrity..." the list goes on and on. The Extended Cut washed those horrible tastes out. I'm actually excited to play my other Shepards and eventually play through the entire series again. I'm even interested in the Leviathan DLC that seems all but confirmed at this point, and there was no way in hell I would have touched it pre-EC.

Thanks for the Extended Cut, BioWare. It's still pretty amazing to me that they even did it... whether you love it or you hate it, it is a huge concession. It bumped the ending up from a 1 out of 10 to a 5 out of 10 for me. Did I want better? Sure... but I can live with what we've got now.

P.S.: Tali is still the best space waifu.

Well said and I agree. While I still am not a huge fan of the endings overall, the fact that we got to see what our choice actually did was a huge improvement. The endings went from unbearable to tolerable enough for me to go through the game again.

#6528 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

Got an advanced screening of The Amazing Spider-Man, recommend. One thing though is that The Illusive Man is in the movie, lol and has a few good voice over parts.
Me hearing Martin Sheen's voice:
Posted Image

#6529 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

You're not the only one... I at least thought about it but quickly realized that Bioware had no right to make that claim... That claim went out the window when they released the second game on the PS3 without releasing the first and then chose to make nearly any choice in MEI pointless.

Only two mattered in the end.
Spoiler

Also if you look at the default choices one is stuck with in the beginning of ME3 if one doesn't important a save you quickly realize how they set it up to make their ending make sense...

Spoiler

Basically, in a nutshell it was a pooch screw in nearly every way imaginable.

Anyhow, this is looking closer and closer to a rant than I want it to be... So I'll just leave it right there. :lol:

#6530 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

The complaint about ME1 not being on the PS3 is a very pointless and unnecessary argument because of the sole fact that Microsoft helped BioWare make the first (and published). Why no one can understand this is WAY beyond me.

Your second point is more valid for the sheer fact that Genesis should've had more choices and less crappy art.
Fight for the Lost

#6531 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

I liked Genesis. For those on the PS3, I thought that was a good compromise that brought people up to speed. The art was standard dark horse ME comic art and the voice over by Meer (who is this Hale? *snicker*) was pretty good too. I bought it for the 360 just to experience it and enjoyed it.
Chubbyninja1319.png

#6532 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Spoiler

#6533 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

That got a genuine laugh out loud, Ryuu. Nice.
Chubbyninja1319.png

#6534 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

I only just completed the game tonight, I was able to avoid spoilers which was good. So I went back to read the last couple of pages as I was unable to before.

Spoiler

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#6535 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I only just completed the game tonight, I was able to avoid spoilers which was good. So I went back to read the last couple of pages as I was unable to before.

Spoiler

if you thought the new endings were just "okay", you would've absolutely hated the original endings...

Spoiler

#6536 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Spoiler

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#6537 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Spoiler

It was like a choose your path book with the final chapter missing.

#6538 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6539 Anchorhead

Anchorhead

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

So my friend told me that
Spoiler
When I saw what came next, my heart literally sank.

Good+Munchies.png

#6540 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

They're demoing new MP DLC at SDCC this weekend. I hope its that Earth DLC that was rumored a few weeks ago. The panels should be interesting as well. #GodpleasegivenewDAinfo
Chubbyninja1319.png