Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Tha Xecutioner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
biowarelogo.png

me3banner2.png

me3logo.png

Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth.

ME3 Reveal Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3j1QgUMWcE

ME3 "Fall of Earth" E3 Gameplay Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvrN6JijuU

ME3 "Squad Leader" GC Gameplay Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SoGlDpzFuQ

ME3 Multiplayer Announcement Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWaANoSZSzE

ME3 Special Forces Co-Op Multi-player Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u560s3QAls

ME3 FemShep Trailer:

ME3 "Take Earth Back" Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBktyyaV9LY

Mass Effect 3 N7 Collector's Edition Contents:
n7cevignetteenp.jpg

Coming March 6th, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
OP DISCLAIMER (Please Read):

At first I wasn't going to make this thread because I knew that I'd be going on a bit of a media blackout with this game as soon as it got announced - and I felt like I may not be able to update the OP as much as a thread focused on this game deserves. However, after thinking about it a bit, I decided that I'd go ahead and create the topic anyways since I like to flatter myself as the torch bearer for anything Mass Effect-related here on CAG :lol:

The OP will be updated with the vital information that gets released for the game (actual street date, multiplayer info if any, different editions of the game, "official" trailers released at E3 and other big events, etc.). The things that won't be posted include (but not limited to): dev diaries, party member reveals, class previews, commercials, articles, rumors, leaked information, etc. Again, these are things that you will not find in the OP or posted by me in any of the posts. If you want to keep track of those various sources of information: talk with people in the thread, visit the BioWare forums, check the Mass Effect Wiki - there are numerous sources out there for everything you need. I'll even post links on where to go for that kind of information, as we move closer towards release. I'm doing this because I won't be seeing this information and because I don't want to automatically subject anyone to what may/may not be considered spoilers if I don't have to.

The other side of this idea of me not being as "involved" in this thread compared to ME2 is the fact that I won't be around in the thread as much to make sure that there is a degree of control when it comes to tagging information with spoiler tags. I'm proud to say that we did an amazing job with keeping spoilers to an absolute minimum in the Mass Effect 2 thread, especially considering that it's one of the largest threads on CAG. I'm fairly confident in the fact that you all are disciplined enough to know what should/should not be in spoiler tags, and I hope to continue the trend we had from the ME2 thread. Just remember that many of your fellow CAGs have been playing this series since the start, and they've worked just as hard or harder than you towards completing the first two steps of Shepard's goal to wipe out the Reapers once and for all - so keep that in mind whenever you decide to post the newest screenshot of a character in Mass Effect 3 or what some German article says about specific information regarding the game. If you see any posts that may contain a bit more information than you think is necessary for the average person to know about ME3, call that person out (nicely) about it. If you get hit with some "spoiler tags, please!" responses, don't fight about it or take offense to it - just do it. If someone chooses not to spoiler tag a post that definitely deserves to be tagged, report it to our mods and/or tell me and I'll even help to get it corrected (be sure to leave out the info that's spoiler-y, please!). To err on the side of caution, always post spoiler tags if you are posting any form of "breaking news" that isn't an official release from BioWare.

I realize that maybe 10 people will read this disclaimer and take it to heart, but I hope we can have an awesome discussion about what looks to be the greatest game of all time as we countdown this long, one-year wait. We had a lot of great discussions, debates, and different insights regarding the numerous aspects that the game and it's universe brings to the table in the Mass Effect 2 thread - and I know a large population of people from there will be making their way here as time goes on. We're all in for the long haul here, and we all are eagerly awaiting the conclusion to this epic story. Treat others with at least some respect (no matter how crazy their opinions/rants may be) and let's make the wait for Mass Effect 3 as enjoyable as possible.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there will be even more RPG elements missing from this one than there was from 2. The difference from ME 1 to ME 2 was fairly significant, I hope ME 3 doesn't lean even more towards being a straight up shooter. Oh well I will trust in Bioware until they let me down.

I made a disclaimer in the 2nd post of the thread that I'd appreciate everyone reading. The important parts are bolded, but I think the entire message is pretty clear and fairly important.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Was that supposed to be Sheppard in the trailer? I used default Sheppard and it looks nothing like that.[/QUOTE]Not only is it the default Shepard (or "Sheploo" if you're Joe Cool from the BioWare boards), but it's the only Shepard :cool:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']By the way X, very slick looking OP. I love the reflecty BioWare logo and the transparent ME3 logo; did you make those?[/QUOTE]Thanks, that scene in the reveal trailer was way too good to not include as the current banner for this thread.

Sometimes I actually do create the art for a sig, avatar, or banner that you may see me (or others...*cough* Arikado *cough*) pimping out, but for the most part I manipulate a lot of existing art and make the colors more vibrant, clean it up, make it transparent, etc. In this case, I cleaned up some already existing files of the BioWare logo (that I used in the ME2 thread), the ME3 logo, and that screenshot of Shepard looking out the window. I probably do just as much work on the art as the people who make them, I just lack their creativity :lol:

5 stars for this thread, and the forthcoming hype train, and the Protheans...and the Xecutioners management of this thread. Getting ready to start ME 2 soon, I'll be ready for 3.

Thanks for making the "official" thread, X.

[quote name='Arikado']I'll be waiting for the inevitable boner-inducing collector's edition.[/QUOTE]Same here. I need it to go with my other two for the CE trifecta.

[quote name='Arikado']I'll be waiting for the inevitable boner-inducing collector's edition.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, no way in hell I'm sleeping on the Collector's Edition this time around.

I don't think the DLC ship has necessarily sailed for ME2. BioWare has at least mentioned another appearance pack and some "bridging" mission DLC that will start to set up ME3's plot.

Gah. Can't wait. I'd kill just for some more teasers or info. We've all discussed at length our decisions from the previous games, hopefully they will have a stronger impact than they did in part 2. Seeing as how Bioware responds to fan criticism and requests, I have high hopes. Maybe a multi-scene end story like how the first Marvel UA handled your decisions in game. Since it's the end of Shepard's story they should be able to bring all those threads towards their final destination.

I hope they don't wait quite as long to bring us news on the CE and other tidbits. Sigh. Maybe it's time to start another ME2 playthrough.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']We've all discussed at length our decisions from the previous games, hopefully they will have a stronger impact than they did in part 2.[/QUOTE]
ME2 couldn't have radically different endings for different players because they had to set everybody up for ME3. They've got a lot more room to move around now that they're at the end of the story. I think we'll start to see much bigger divergences.

[quote name='koheed']I wish there was some more ME2 downloadable content that was coming out over the next year to tide us over to ME3.[/QUOTE]From Christina Norman (Lead Gameplay Designer)'s twitter:

twittermf.png

Have faith :cool:

IGN article on choices in the first two games that could decide which races ally with humanity in ME3.

Nothing that hasn't been hashed out a million times already, but one thing did strike me. The writer talks about a choice in ME2 where you can encourage the Quarians to either take back their homeworld immediately or save their strength to deal with the Reaper threat. I don't remember anything like this from the game! Is the writer misremembering, or did I somehow avoid such an important dialogue sequence in four different ME2 playthroughs?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nothing that hasn't been hashed out a million times already, but one thing did strike me. The writer talks about a choice in ME2 where you can encourage the Quarians to either take back their homeworld immediately or save their strength to deal with the Reaper threat. I don't remember anything like this from the game! Is the writer misremembering, or did I somehow avoid such an important dialogue sequence in four different ME2 playthroughs?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming the writer is referring to the portion after Tali's trial. You can walk around and speak with all of the Admirals again to either encourage taking back Rannoch or to discourage starting a war with the Geth.

[quote name='Arikado']I'm assuming the writer is referring to the portion after Tali's trial. You can walk around and speak with all of the Admirals again to either encourage taking back Rannoch or to discourage starting a war with the Geth.[/QUOTE]
Hmm. Guess I just high-tailed it back to the Normandy after the verdict.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']IGN article on choices in the first two games that could decide which races ally with humanity in ME3.

Nothing that hasn't been hashed out a million times already, but one thing did strike me. The writer talks about a choice in ME2 where you can encourage the Quarians to either take back their homeworld immediately or save their strength to deal with the Reaper threat. I don't remember anything like this from the game! Is the writer misremembering, or did I somehow avoid such an important dialogue sequence in four different ME2 playthroughs?[/QUOTE]Nice coverage on the possible "major" plot points from that article. I had most of those in-mind, though a couple of them (Ashley / Kaiden and the Quarians) were ones I hadn't thought of before reading that article.

I guess for those of us that romanced Liara each time through ME1, the Ashley / Kaiden angle might change from if you had them as a romance partner?

[quote name='Arikado']I'm assuming the writer is referring to the portion after Tali's trial. You can walk around and speak with all of the Admirals again to either encourage taking back Rannoch or to discourage starting a war with the Geth.[/QUOTE]I may have missed this on my first playthrough, as I think I just chatted with them before the trial and not afterwards. I'll have to go through on my second playthrough and make sure I talk with each one twice.

Yeah so looking forward to this because, one) Earth (which has been talked about like forever in the Mass Effect universe/disappointed when you couldn't land on it with the galaxy map), two) possible mind manipulation could create some interesting firefights against potential allies/different outcomes with different allies/enemies that have turned and three) it's the CLIMAX BABY (story conclusion/romance conclusion/race/factions conclusion)! I can't wait, well I can but you know what I mean. Mass Effect is my favorite new franchise ever and to think I started out not even playing RPGs. Now the genre is one of my favorites (tend to like Western RPGs more still).

I don't think I'll buy it on Day One, but I will get it. There's like a thousand games coming out in November, all on the same day. Damn the developers who are saying 'hey guys, as a joke, let's release everything at the same time and we'll announce it on the same day. HURRAY.'

Also, I hope multiplayer is just a Shadow of the Colossus co-op mode. Group of Three vs. a Reaper. That'd be awesome.

CE preorder on day one for me. I just hope this time I don't have to preorder another game to get extra content. I'm going to have to go back and play 1 and 2 again. Still wish I could delete all the old games from one and keep my newest one.

[quote name='Arikado']I'll be waiting for the inevitable boner-inducing collector's edition.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Nice thread of course. ;)

A weird question for you guys, do you play with the subtitles on or off? I usually leave them on because I have kids and can't always hear what the characters are saying. But, I hate the non-cinematic quality of the having subs.
My next playthrough, I'm going to turn them off. I think I should get some gaming headphones...

I always play with the subtitles on, not just Mass Effect but all games. Partly because I frequently play late at night with the volume low after the wife and kids have gone to bed, and partly because we've gotten into the habit of watching TV and movies with the subtitles on, and now it's weird to me to watch or play something without them.

Yep, I always play with subtitles on. I play late at night sometimes and don't want to bother my neighbors, or my girlfriend if she's trying to sleep etc.

Dialogue tends to be quite relative to the action scenes in games as well, which makes that more of an issue.

For Mass Effect and Bioshock, I tend to leave the subtitles on. For other games, I don't.

One thing I've noticed in ME1 and ME2 is the occasional difference between spoken dialogue and the subtitle text, usually not saying a "the" or the like between the two.

I never play with subs on. It hurts the experience somewhat for me; plus I never have a problem hearing what is said (by now I could probably quote both games, anyways).

[quote name='shrike4242']Some of the comments are worth reading for amusement's value.[/QUOTE]
I can understand some disappointment over the path not taken. It stings me that JRPGs continue to embrace obsolete mechanics like pressing buttons in spite of the shining future promised by Final Fantasy XII. :cool:

But these BioWare fans are the worst! I've not seen a group of people who seem to hate so vehemently the very thing that they are ostensibly fans of.

The first thing I do when I get a new game is turn the subtitles on in the options. Sometimes my hearing sucks or something is loud around me and I never want to miss anything, especially in a series like this or other RPG's.

[quote name='shrike4242'][LINK]

Some of the comments are worth reading for amusement's value.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I can understand some disappointment over the path not taken.

But these BioWare fans are the worst! I've not seen a group of people who seem to hate so vehemently the very thing that they are ostensibly fans of.[/QUOTE]I can't even begin to count the number of my brain cells that have died due to reading most of the user comments/replies on various websites and forums (I'm looking at you, BioWare forums) about the Mass Effect series as a whole.

----------------

Changing topics, now.

Who do you think the unidentified Male sniper (from the reveal trailer) is? Is he an unnamed civilian simply used to showcase the devastation brought forth by the Reapers, and how Shepard is the hero that everyone is looking for?

Is he a specific character that we may have heard of or seen before?

Maybe a potential squadmate for ME3?

My feeling is that he will not be a squadmate or major character. The whole 'grizzled male military vet' persona is a little too close to Zaeed, Jacob, and even Shepard himself. They've done this character before.

bread's done
Back