Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] ONLY $47 shipped from Amazon UK

blockbusterdude

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B003AQBYUG/

6a013487ae8802970c0147e0a057a9970b-pi

The UK price is listed at £29.97 but when you put it in your shopping cart the price drops to £25.51

**Select... Standard (6-10 business days)

£25.51 + £3.08 (shipping) = £28.59

converted to US dollars = $46.88 shipped

BEST PRICE ANYWHERE!!!

----------------

6a013487ae8802970c0148c6a9ba5b970c-pi

[quote name='sabin23']is this the exact same set as the US version (i.e. Region 1)??[/QUOTE]

The blu's here are region free.

[quote name='eastx']Can someone who's ordered from Amazon UK lately tell me how long the slow shipping to the US usually takes?[/QUOTE]Sure.

I've ordered four BD sets from Amazon.co.uk in the last few months, around early November for three of them and the Alien set here at the beginning of the month.

The sets I ordered in early November shipped about a day after ordering and arrived about a week after they were shipped out. My Alien set shipped on the 2nd and I haven't seen it yet, though the mail hasn't made it here today. There's notices all over the Amazon.co.uk site that they're having weather issues all over the country that's adding 2-3 days delay to domestic shipments so I'd assume the same for international shipments.

When I put it into my cart this morning to see the current USD price, it's saying that it would be delivered after Christmas, so I wouldn't order this from Amazon.co.uk if you're looking to have this as a Christmas present for someone. If you don't care about shipping speeds, this is a great deal.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'm a blu-ray noob, will these imports work fine on a U.S. PlayStation 3?[/QUOTE]These are region-free releases, so yes, they work OK in a US BluRay player. Not all BluRay releases are region free, so you need to check before you order.

My delivery estimate is Jan 3, 2011, but it is the holidays when the most packages are circulating in the US.

This particular BR is region-free, so it should work in all BR players (well, at least if there's a problem, it won't be because of region-coding).

Also, price went back up to £24.99.

[quote name='gunm']My delivery estimate is Jan 3, 2011, but it is the holidays when the most packages are circulating in the US.

This particular BR is region-free, so it should work in all BR players (well, at least if there's a problem, it won't be because of region-coding).

Also, price went back up to £24.99.[/QUOTE]
No, it goes down to 21 once you add to your cart and VAT is subtracted. Just ordered for 39.83 shipped.

[quote name='shrike4242']These are region-free releases, so yes, they work OK in a US BluRay player. Not all BluRay releases are region free, so you need to check before you order.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the clarification! Okay, I bit on this. Thanks OP!

I didn't realize they automatically removed the VAT. I did order from Amazon UK once prior, but that was a while ago.

[quote name='gunm']I didn't realize they automatically removed the VAT. I did order from Amazon UK once prior, but that was a while ago.[/QUOTE]As soon as you indicate you're having it shipped to the US, VAT disappears. All Amazon.co.uk prices are auto-set with VAT included, as they assume you're in the UK shopping on Amazon.co.uk.

Wow, I hadn't even factored in the lack of U.S. sales tax (New Yorkers get charged with regular Amazon). I'll definitely have to keep a watchful eye on these UK blu-ray deals from now on. I missed out an some savings with the "Planet Earth" series, but thankfully that just amounted to a few bucks. Now, here I am getting ~48% off one of my wishlist items. Beautiful!!

[quote name='BustaUppa']Wow, I hadn't even factored in the lack of U.S. sales tax (New Yorkers get charged with regular Amazon). I'll definitely have to keep a watchful eye on these UK blu-ray deals from now on. I missed out an some savings with the "Planet Earth" series, but thankfully that just amounted to a few bucks. Now, here I am getting ~48% off one of my wishlist items. Beautiful!![/QUOTE]Not every BD title is region-free, so you need to make sure it's region-free before ordering.

I replied to your post in the general BD discussion thread about a couple of resources I've used previously.

[quote name='sabin23']is this the exact same set as the US version (i.e. Region 1)??[/QUOTE]

I ordered "life" from amazon uk that I was told was region free and lo and behold it would not play in any of my region 1 players. I never could figure out where I made the mistake. Needless to say I'm leery ordering from amazon uk again. I'm sure it was my error but anyways.

Ugh, $40 is my sweet spot for this but I'd rather use up some Amazon credit to get it. Really wish this was in the US. :\

[quote name='blakhawkjohn']I ordered "life" from amazon uk that I was told was region free and lo and behold it would not play in any of my region 1 players. I never could figure out where I made the mistake. Needless to say I'm leery ordering from amazon uk again. I'm sure it was my error but anyways.[/QUOTE]

The problem with Life (as with the Planet Earth SE) is that it was created for British TV (which runs at 50hz, as opposed to US TVs which run at 60hz), and is therefore encoded on the disc at 1080i50, which many US blu-ray players (and TVs) cannot play. Here's a post that I made on a thread about Planet Earth regarding the issue with some more info:

[quote name='arcane93']Be aware that the special edition is encoded in 1080i50, and a US PS3 (and many other US blu-ray players) won't be able to play it because they can't do 50hz playback.

There's a (now somewhat outdated) list here of US blu-ray players that will be able to play the special edition: http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/95245-us-blu-ray-players-50hz-compatibility.html If your blu-ray player isn't on that list, I would make the assumption that your blu-ray player can't play it unless you can specifically find out otherwise. Keep in mind that even if your player is on the list, you will also need either a TV that supports 50hz, or a video processor to convert it to a frame rate that your TV does support (unless your blu-ray player is capable of doing the frame rate conversion to 60hz itself, which a few models are).

Also, while the blu-rays are region-free, the included DVD is region locked to region 2. You'll need a region-free DVD player in order to play it.

The original set (the one in the OP here) is 1080p24, so it will play on US players without an issue. Unfortunately, it has several problems of its own (which the special edition was meant to fix). It seems that we just can't get a break on the issues with this title over here.[/QUOTE]

Movies, for the most part, won't be a problem, as they are generally encoded at 24fps. Still, it's one more thing to watch out for when importing discs.

[quote name='Jodou']Ugh, $40 is my sweet spot for this but I'd rather use up some Amazon credit to get it. Really wish this was in the US. :\[/QUOTE]

Worth noting, the packaging for the UK version is somewhat different from the US version (the UK version has actual digipack trays, whereas with the US version, the discs are slid in and out of slots in the cardboard). Personally, I strongly prefer the UK packaging and have been waiting for a deal on the UK version. I may have to order this.

[quote name='arcane93']The problem with Life (as with the Planet Earth SE) is that it was created for British TV (which runs at 50hz, as opposed to US TVs which run at 60hz), and is therefore encoded on the disc at 1080i50, which many US blu-ray players (and TVs) cannot play. Here's a post that I made on a thread about Planet Earth regarding the issue with some more info:

Movies, for the most part, won't be a problem, as they are generally encoded at 24fps. Still, it's one more thing to watch out for when importing discs.

Worth noting, the packaging for the UK version is somewhat different from the US version (the UK version has actual digipack trays, whereas with the US version, the discs are slid in and out of slots in the cardboard). Personally, I strongly prefer the UK packaging and have been waiting for a deal on the UK version. I may have to order this.[/QUOTE]

Thx for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated

[quote name='shrike4242']Sure.

I've ordered four BD sets from Amazon.co.uk in the last few months, around early November for three of them and the Alien set here at the beginning of the month.

The sets I ordered in early November shipped about a day after ordering and arrived about a week after they were shipped out. My Alien set shipped on the 2nd and I haven't seen it yet, though the mail hasn't made it here today. There's notices all over the Amazon.co.uk site that they're having weather issues all over the country that's adding 2-3 days delay to domestic shipments so I'd assume the same for international shipments.

When I put it into my cart this morning to see the current USD price, it's saying that it would be delivered after Christmas, so I wouldn't order this from Amazon.co.uk if you're looking to have this as a Christmas present for someone. If you don't care about shipping speeds, this is a great deal.

These are region-free releases, so yes, they work OK in a US BluRay player. Not all BluRay releases are region free, so you need to check before you order.[/QUOTE]

I ordered Harry Potter blu-ray set and the Planet Earth (non SE) from amazon UK Thanksgiving weekend. I received Planet Earth a week later, but have yet to receive Harry Potter. Realize the weather there a couple weeks ago was grounding a lot of flights, just thought it was weird that the Planet Earth I ordered a few days after the Harry Potter set got here first.

[quote name='linkbear']I ordered Harry Potter blu-ray set and the Planet Earth (non SE) from amazon UK Thanksgiving weekend. I received Planet Earth a week later, but have yet to receive Harry Potter. Realize the weather there a couple weeks ago was grounding a lot of flights, just thought it was weird that the Planet Earth I ordered a few days after the Harry Potter set got here first.[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend ordered a bunch of CDs from Amazon UK on Nov. 24th, and according to Amazon they were all shipped on the same day in two separate packages. A box with a few of them showed up about a week later on Dec. 2nd, but the other larger box has yet to show up. She's freaked out that it got lost or stolen. I've been telling her not to worry about it yet because it's such a busy shipping time, though that's getting harder to defend by the day. Tomorrow is actually Amazon's estimated delivery date on it, so if it doesn't show up by then, we're going to file a claim -- and probably get told to wait another week or two, but at least we'll have set the wheels in motion. I just hope that if it comes down to it, Amazon UK is as good about replacing lost/missing items as Amazon US is.

But anyway, yeah, delivery from Amazon UK in the US is seriously unpredictable, mostly due to complications from international/overseas shipping. You just have to kind of roll with it and accept that orders from them are sometimes going to come right away, and sometimes take a long while to arrive.

[quote name='arcane93']My girlfriend ordered a bunch of CDs from Amazon UK on Nov. 24th, and according to Amazon they were all shipped on the same day in two separate packages. A box with a few of them showed up about a week later on Dec. 2nd, but the other larger box has yet to show up. She's freaked out that it got lost or stolen. I've been telling her not to worry about it yet because it's such a busy shipping time, though that's getting harder to defend by the day. Tomorrow is actually Amazon's estimated delivery date on it, so if it doesn't show up by then, we're going to file a claim -- and probably get told to wait another week or two, but at least we'll have set the wheels in motion. I just hope that if it comes down to it, Amazon UK is as good about replacing lost/missing items as Amazon US is.

But anyway, yeah, delivery from Amazon UK in the US is seriously unpredictable, mostly due to complications from international/overseas shipping. You just have to kind of roll with it and accept that orders from them are sometimes going to come right away, and sometimes take a long while to arrive.[/QUOTE]The real issue is that standard shipping is Royal Mail without any tracking, so it is a bit of a crapshoot at this time of the year. If expedited shipping wasn't so expensive, I'd use it, though I'm spoiled with Amazon Prime for US items with 2-day UPS shipping.

[quote name='arcane93']Worth noting, the packaging for the UK version is somewhat different from the US version (the UK version has actual digipack trays, whereas with the US version, the discs are slid in and out of slots in the cardboard). Personally, I strongly prefer the UK packaging and have been waiting for a deal on the UK version. I may have to order this.[/QUOTE]
I wondered why it had a fatter spine. Hmmm, now I'm torn.

[quote name='arcane93']Worth noting, the packaging for the UK version is somewhat different from the US version (the UK version has actual digipack trays, whereas with the US version, the discs are slid in and out of slots in the cardboard). Personally, I strongly prefer the UK packaging and have been waiting for a deal on the UK version. I may have to order this.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I was worried about that with my order. Seems like most American super box sets don't have good disc holders, just the little slider things. Go UK! lol

I just broke down and ordered -- while I was tempted to wait and see how low it will go, I'm too afraid that the price will go back up and it won't come down again for a long time. Came out to $39.35 with shipping on Amazon's currency converter. Not a bad deal at all.

dammit, I broke down and bought it. I thought about it for a while and couldn't pass it up. I've never bought anything from amazon.uk and actually received it (I'm looking at you Battlestar Galactica Set). ;-)

[quote name='arcane93']I just broke down and ordered -- while I was tempted to wait and see how low it will go, I'm too afraid that the price will go back up and it won't come down again for a long time. Came out to $39.35 with shipping on Amazon's currency converter. Not a bad deal at all.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't think that it would go much lower at this point, and some of the pricing is dependent on currency exchange obviously.

$10 or there about per movie seems like a reasonable price for a set like this. Obviously, there are other sets that have gone cheaper per movie, though this one is higher priced for name recognition alone.

Awesome deal! Thanks for the post, OP. I had actually picked up the Anthology during Amazon's Black Friday "sale" thinking that $69.99 was the lowest I would see on the set for a while. Happily, I was wrong. Now I just have to return my original Blu-Rays. I sure am glad they're still shrink-wrapped.

[quote name='Jodou']I wondered why it had a fatter spine. Hmmm, now I'm torn.[/QUOTE]

If you want to see the difference between the two versions, there are some high quality pictures here (hit the "spoiler" tag in the linked posts to display the pictures):

US version: http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...thread-october-26-2010-a-250.html#post3907797

UK version: http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...thread-october-26-2010-a-247.html#post3906184

The US version has a cooler design and better artwork, but it has the slots for the discs (slide the discs in and out, at potential peril to both the discs and the packaging). The UK version arguably isn't as nice looking, but it has the digipack trays. Personally, I prefer the trays over the slots enough to be willing to take the UK packaging (the cheaper price doesn't hurt either, but I was probably holding out for the UK set one way or the other), but YMMV of course.

Yeah I'm definitely in favor of the digipak trays. Worst offender (in my limited blu-ray experience) is the Back To The Future collection, where they have a damn instruction manual for getting the discs out.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yeah I'm definitely in favor of the digipak trays. Worst offender (in my limited blu-ray experience) is the Back To The Future collection, where they have a damn instruction manual for getting the discs out.[/QUOTE]

Yikes -- I hadn't seen that. Maybe I'll get the UK version of BttF too if it's region free (haven't been able to find confirmation one way or the other yet in a quick search, though Universal titles usually are), as it looks to have more normal trays. Of course, that's because it doesn't have the digital copy discs, but I don't care about those anyway.

[quote name='leshrac55']Well, hopefully this works as I just ordered one. Going to be a pricey return otherwise. =)[/QUOTE]

I've read enough reports of it working to not be at all worried. Just make sure that you have upgraded your blu-ray player to the newest firmware version, as some people who haven't have had trouble playing the Alien Anthology, regardless of whether it was the US or UK version.

[quote name='arcane93']If you want to see the difference between the two versions, there are some high quality pictures here (hit the "spoiler" tag in the linked posts to display the pictures):

US version: http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...thread-october-26-2010-a-250.html#post3907797

UK version: http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...thread-october-26-2010-a-247.html#post3906184

The US version has a cooler design and better artwork, but it has the slots for the discs (slide the discs in and out, at potential peril to both the discs and the packaging). The UK version arguably isn't as nice looking, but it has the digipack trays. Personally, I prefer the trays over the slots enough to be willing to take the UK packaging (the cheaper price doesn't hurt either, but I was probably holding out for the UK set one way or the other), but YMMV of course.[/QUOTE]
Thanks very much for posting those packaging links. Even though I definitely favor trays over slots, I *hate* the rest of the UK packaging. Could it be any less impressive? If this is supposed to be the "mother of all Alien releases" then I want it to look that way. I actually canceled my UK order and I'll just stick with the U.S. release I already own. I'm the only one who handles the Blu-Ray disks in our house so I'm not too worried about any potential damage issues.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Thanks very much for posting those packaging links. Even though I definitely favor trays over slots, I *hate* the rest of the UK packaging. Could it be any less impressive? If this is supposed to be the "mother of all Alien releases" then I want it to look that way. I actually canceled my UK order and I'll just stick with the U.S. release I already own. I'm the only one who handles the Blu-Ray disks in our house so I'm not too worried about any potential damage issues.[/QUOTE]

Heh, if you want it to look impressive, you probably should order the one in the egg packaging. ;)

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, if you want it to look impressive, you probably should order the one in the egg packaging. ;)[/QUOTE]
You know, I actually did consider that one. Trouble is, I've already bought the series three times in standard-def DVD (individually, the first collection, and the quadrilogy), so I couldn't justify the egg lamp for double the price of the regular Blu release.

[quote name='arcane93']The US version has a cooler design and better artwork, but it has the slots for the discs (slide the discs in and out, at potential peril to both the discs and the packaging). The UK version arguably isn't as nice looking, but it has the digipack trays. Personally, I prefer the trays over the slots enough to be willing to take the UK packaging (the cheaper price doesn't hurt either, but I was probably holding out for the UK set one way or the other), but YMMV of course.[/QUOTE]
Glad I didn't bite then. The US artwork is far superior and I don't really mind the slips since it didn't bother me with the Rome packaging. I'll just wait on a great deal here in the US.

[quote name='arcane93']My girlfriend ordered a bunch of CDs from Amazon UK on Nov. 24th, and according to Amazon they were all shipped on the same day in two separate packages. A box with a few of them showed up about a week later on Dec. 2nd, but the other larger box has yet to show up. She's freaked out that it got lost or stolen. I've been telling her not to worry about it yet because it's such a busy shipping time, though that's getting harder to defend by the day. Tomorrow is actually Amazon's estimated delivery date on it, so if it doesn't show up by then, we're going to file a claim -- and probably get told to wait another week or two, but at least we'll have set the wheels in motion. I just hope that if it comes down to it, Amazon UK is as good about replacing lost/missing items as Amazon US is.

But anyway, yeah, delivery from Amazon UK in the US is seriously unpredictable, mostly due to complications from international/overseas shipping. You just have to kind of roll with it and accept that orders from them are sometimes going to come right away, and sometimes take a long while to arrive.[/QUOTE]

Hey arcance93 (linkbear too, if you're reading, and anyone else who has experience with Amazon UK), just curious- any update on those Amazon UK packages?

Had three separate items ship from them several weeks ago, only received one of them so far, estimated arrival dates for the others are in a few days, sure hope they arrive by then... been away from home for several days for different Christmas events, wondering now if the packages were delivered and got taken off the doorstep by some thieving Christmas SOB. Unfortunately, stuff like that has happened around here before.

I mean, I know there have been weather issues in the UK, but it's kind of weird that one of the items I ordered after the others was delivered within a week, but I'm still waiting on the others even though they shipped weeks ago. I hate that there's no tracking on the items. So, are Amazon UK as good as their US counterpart at replacing missing/lost stuff or no?

My copy is still out in the wild, shipped on 12/02/10. If it doesn't arrive by end of the day on Monday, 01/03/11, I'm asking Amazon.co.uk to reship another copy of it.

bread's done
Back