Photo
- - - - -

Someone hit my car in my parking lot and left a dent but no note... What do I do?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:54 AM

And the gist of that part of the article is that as long as your camera is set up so that it ONLY films the parking lot, which is a PUBLIC place, then you're most likely within your rights and the law. So yes, elessar123's post is very misleading at best, and stupid at worst.

:applause:

#62 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:55 AM

fix it yourself you $$$$$$. jesus.
cops aren't going to do shit, and neither does posting about it here.

Actually with some insurance agencies they want the police report. With my "event" I didn't get my refund until after the agency got the police report...6 months later ...geez :(

So it might help.

#63 Seiran

Seiran

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:24 AM

Isn't an apartment complex parking lot technically private property? At the very least, he'd need the approval of the apartment complex. Ultimately, he'd want to speak to a lawyer in his area that's familiar with the laws there.

More info that touches on the subject:
http://www.ojotech.c...urveillance.pdf

#64 EarthBound Sucks

EarthBound Sucks

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:14 AM

Someone hit my car in my parking lot and left a dent but no note... What do I do?
Posted Image
DO A BARRELL ROLL!

#65 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

Isn't an apartment complex parking lot technically private property? At the very least, he'd need the approval of the apartment complex. Ultimately, he'd want to speak to a lawyer in his area that's familiar with the laws there.

More info that touches on the subject:
http://www.ojotech.c...urveillance.pdf

Considering that's from a private company and only cites some Yale course it found its course materials for on the internet, I'd be wary of its accuracy.

With parking lots, depending on its size, location, and who is permitted onto the parking lot, you're going to run into diminished expectations of privacy, because even though its privately owned, it can still be quasi-public in nature. Generally that applies to commercial areas like perhaps a giant outdoor mall if signs aren't posted prohibiting filming, but its possibly it could apply to other parking lots.

But the only good answer here is to call a lawyer knowledgeable about the subject in the OP's particular state and get the best information from the lawyer. Alternatively he could ask his landlord about putting cameras up in the parking lot for the future.

#66 V3rtigo

V3rtigo

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

http://www.dgswirele...as-and-the-law/

Try doing some research before you post stupid shit yourself. Laws vary from state to state, but they actually reference that scenario exactly.

"So you’re safe, right? Well not so fast. Assume you set your camera up to catch whoever has been parking next to you and dinging your car door. Your wireless surveillance camera has a nice view of the parking lot in front of your townhouse. Unfortunately the townhouses across from yours are also in view. Depending on your local laws, this may be considered an invasion of privacy. "

No, you need to re-read your link again, which uses such layman terms that legality can't be deciphered from a single sentence. If you're going to post a link, post one of a specific statute being broken in any state.

You're filming without sound and not into someone's house. That's legal. There is absolutely no expectation of privacy in a parking lot.

#67 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

No, you need to re-read your link again, which uses such layman terms that legality can't be deciphered from a single sentence. If you're going to post a link, post one of a specific statute being broken in any state.

You're filming without sound and not into someone's house. That's legal. There is absolutely no expectation of privacy in a parking lot.

I'll admit the first part of what I said was most likely wrong (legality), but it's still true that a silent video recording could be inadmissible evidence, no? Or you might be able to prove a certain car hit you, but not actually film who was driving it. Which, depending on the case, could be as good as not having the video.

And really, if you lawyers types or whatever don't actually contribute and correct people, but just throw out insults, then don't expect everyone else to actually learn what is actually true, and the false information will just get passed around, like how I was told.

But hey, if you want to make CAG just like /b/, then fine, point accomplished.

#68 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

OP are you a student? Usually Universities (in Illinois at least) have free legal representation for students enrolled in a normal course load.

#69 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

I'll admit the first part of what I said was most likely wrong (legality), but it's still true that a silent video recording could be inadmissible evidence, no? Or you might be able to prove a certain car hit you, but not actually film who was driving it. Which, depending on the case, could be as good as not having the video.

In many states it doesn't matter who was driving. The owner of the car is liable first and foremost for all damage caused by anyone driving the car.

The bottom line here is the OP needs to contact a lawyer before he films any parking lots. No one on CAG can give him the specific legal advice he needs for his situation in his state of residence. And if you were giving him specific legal advice you may be engaged in the unauthorized practice of law.

#70 nugarp

nugarp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

so was it the blonde girl? i think i missed the post..
360, PS3, Wii, PSP Slim games & acc for trade:

my tradelist

#71 sykotek

sykotek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

I'm fairly sure this thread is dead and buried, but I vehemently disagree with nolan.light and gotta put in my two cents, if you have "first accident forgiveness" why would you blow it on something minor like this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping for anyone to get in an accident, but for most people it is a matter of when you will get in an accident, not if. If I had that, I would save that for a "real" accident unless you'd rather pay more to insurance companies.

#72 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

I'm fairly sure this thread is dead and buried, but I vehemently disagree with nolan.light and gotta put in my two cents, if you have "first accident forgiveness" why would you blow it on something minor like this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping for anyone to get in an accident, but for most people it is a matter of when you will get in an accident, not if. If I had that, I would save that for a "real" accident unless you'd rather pay more to insurance companies.

Looks like a mod deleted that post (and my post replying to it) since it was oddly spam like and full of misinformation.

#73 whitecastle

whitecastle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

I just read a few post, but I'd definately get a police report done on the incident. Maybe stop by a repair shop to see how much it'll cost and then call your insurance company or the other way around. I know if you report the incident to your insurance company your payments may go up, but if you got a clean driving record (like me) more than likely it won't. Let us know!

#74 pittpizza

pittpizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:43 AM

My advice is to not report it and pay someone to pull the dent out. Even if the the paint is chipped slightly. Your rates will go up if you report it, even if it's not your fault.
Wii-Sixty FTWiin. Fanboys STFU & GTFO!

Now playing: Assassin's Creed 2, Battlestations Pacific, Madden 10, Army of Two, 40th Day.

Recently beat: Bioshock (again).

#75 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

Have a GPS? Did it come with a window mount with a suction cup? Bam. Instant dent puller. I've had to do it a few times and it has worked every time.

#76 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

My advice is to not report it and pay someone to pull the dent out. Even if the the paint is chipped slightly. Your rates will go up if you report it, even if it's not your fault.

Varies by company. Some have first accident forgiveness, or don't bump it up for relatively small dollar claims etc.

If he has bargain basement insurance, then it will probably go up. Bigger companies like Geico tend to be more forgiving, especially if you've been with them for a while and always paid on time etc. My ex had 3 or 4 fender benders, all but one of which was her fault, and they somehow never raised her premium.

I had a cheaper company at the time, and mine got bumped up after one fender bender and a couple of tickets (illegal turn, rolling stop). So it just varies.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#77 koalak

koalak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

searched google found a discussion here maybe some of the information there can help

#78 fincsher

fincsher

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:33 AM

There are lot's of scene like that but they have no choice but to fix the dent and by painting the car a new paint. thats whay I had to sell your car online in phoenix:D

Edited by fincsher, 24 January 2011 - 09:14 PM.