Demon's Souls Greatest Hits $14.99 at Amazon

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Curlis

Curlis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Thanks OP, picked up a copy, Amazon is killing my wallet lately.
Now Playing - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Posted Image

#32 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

This really is probably my favorite game ever. I traded it away after not playing for like 3 months but I did beat it twice. In insane plat unless you use a guide and no how to go for the plat from the start. Pretty sure you can't plat it on 1 go through.

3.5 playthroughs minimum if memory serves me, though after the first, you can get through each one in a few hours

One of my top 3 games of all time!
Posted Image

#33 henryVIII

henryVIII

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

Don't buy this game if you hate great games. I personally hate great games and will not be buying.

I also hate other great things such as puppies, unicorns, and roller coasters.

Edited by henryVIII, 15 December 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#34 MPoWeRM3

MPoWeRM3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

Don't buy this game if you hate great games. I personally hate great games and will not be buying.

Taking your advice, won't be buying.

#35 eau

eau

KP-X 00-00-00-00-1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

I'm tempted to buy a second copy to keep my collector's edition(with player's guide) in mint an still wrapped. Do you think I should do that? I would actually love to play this game. I wonder though if this game will actually sell for $10 or less.

You meant you didn't unwrap it and exchange the defective guide for a good one when the exchange program was active? I did unwrap mine just for the exchange but other than that everything is as new and mint as it gets.

I may get a GH copy just to play since the one in the Deluxe is a black label in factory wrap. I'd just keep the DE for the collection.
"Woah! This pain feels so good! So good!" — Albedo / Xenosaga

#36 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Demon's Souls finally made it's way to the front of my backlog and I just started playing it. Since the game is universally praised, I'm really trying to give the game a fair shake but so far it's boring/frustrating. I'm not too far into the game, but it seems like 100% dungeon crawler with slow pattern-based combat. I hate having to re-clear everything up to the boss when I'm learning the strategy to beat them (although, they put in some nifty short-cuts). I've already did a few runs through the first level to get more health items, and it's getting too tedious for me.

Other annoyances so far was trying to find the Monumental after the first boss, and constantly fighting in small corridors where melee swings can be deflected by walls.

I'm sure the game is fun once you have a good grasp of all the strategies/intricacies of the game. Getting to that point is a bit slow to me, and I'm not sure the payoff will be worth it to me. Looking for help online will certainly speed things up, but games are far less fun when I'm following a strategy guide.

Edit: originally posted in the wrong thread :(

#37 igotnodough

igotnodough

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

bump

#38 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

Atlus just posted on Twitter that the servers have been extended again, and Pure White Tendency is on for the rest of the holiday season. Great time to get into the game. I guess I should take my own advice and start playing it!!

#39 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

Atlus just posted on Twitter that the servers have been extended again, and Pure White Tendency is on for the rest of the holiday season. Great time to get into the game. I guess I should take my own advice and start playing it!!

I don't think any prospective buyer is going to understand what that means :)

I've played for 6 hrs or so and those statements are still foreign to me. I thought the servers were supposed to be up at least till March 2011? What did they extend it to? What is Pure White Tendency and how does the holiday season effect it?

#40 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

They didn't say how long they've been extended, only that they have been. Pure White Tendency is an effect around Christmas and other holidays that makes the game a little easier from what I understand. They also do a Black Tendency around Halloween and other times that makes the game harder.

#41 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Demon's Souls finally made it's way to the front of my backlog and I just started playing it. Since the game is universally praised, I'm really trying to give the game a fair shake but so far it's boring/frustrating. I'm not too far into the game, but it seems like 100% dungeon crawler with slow pattern-based combat. I hate having to re-clear everything up to the boss when I'm learning the strategy to beat them (although, they put in some nifty short-cuts). I've already did a few runs through the first level to get more health items, and it's getting too tedious for me.

Other annoyances so far was trying to find the Monumental after the first boss, and constantly fighting in small corridors where melee swings can be deflected by walls.

I'm sure the game is fun once you have a good grasp of all the strategies/intricacies of the game. Getting to that point is a bit slow to me, and I'm not sure the payoff will be worth it to me. Looking for help online will certainly speed things up, but games are far less fun when I'm following a strategy guide.

Edit: originally posted in the wrong thread :(

Demon's Souls has decided you are not worthy to play it. Hang your head in shame!

j/k

It starts slow but man it picks up into awesomefantasticness

#42 GiantBeaver

GiantBeaver

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

Had some trade-in credit so I decided to pick this up as a blind buy. Thanks OP.
"Good news Everyone! I'm a horse's butt!"
"I am? That's not good at all!"

- Futurama

#43 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:25 AM

IGN reported it is staying online (at least) till Oct 2010, up from (at least) March 2010.

http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1140837p1.html

#44 LordSMVS

LordSMVS

I-I-[SMVS]-I-I

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:47 AM

ign reported it is staying online (at least) till oct 2010, up from (at least) march 2010.

http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1140837p1.html

#45 RedGamer

RedGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:34 AM

If you are hesitant about buying this, don't be.

I'd like to make it clear that the learning curve is a bit unforgiving, but it becomes easier as the game goes on.

I would know, mainly because I spent 6 hours my first time beating 1-1. (Even with the difficulty at first, 6 hours is way higher than it should take to beat 1-1 on the first time.)

I ended up beating the entire game in around 24 hours (and the average is usually a bit higher around 30 - 40 for the first time.)

Like I said, the game gets easier though. As you level and get gear, it becomes a cakewalk, a far cry from the beginning tear-shedding pit of death that it began as.

Also, white tendency for the holidays means it'll be easy-mode

<3 Demon's Souls, Game of the Forever.

#46 Lonedragon87

Lonedragon87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:12 AM

i caved in

#47 SolidMGSnake

SolidMGSnake

Big CAG Boss

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:49 AM

holy crap thats a sweet dea! I feel like buying it even tho I have it!

#48 3rdbass

3rdbass

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:54 AM

You meant you didn't unwrap it and exchange the defective guide for a good one when the exchange program was active? I did unwrap mine just for the exchange but other than that everything is as new and mint as it gets.

I may get a GH copy just to play since the one in the Deluxe is a black label in factory wrap. I'd just keep the DE for the collection.

Yeah, I never unwrapped it so the guide is still wrapped up as is the game, art book and CD. I heard how hard the game was and how rare the DE became so I said let me wait to play it and maybe make some money later on when it is rare. I bought this at $14.99 so I can finally play it and keep my DE wrapped for my collection. UC2 came out around the same time and I was so into that game at the time I never thought I would have time to play this. Now I want to play it.

#49 spedmunki

spedmunki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

It's back to 17.99