CAGcast #223: Ginger Balls

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:28 AM

HellsAttack, it's a regional thing. New Yorkers say Mario wrong and wait on line instead of in line.

And then assault your kneecaps with a baseball bat for making fun of their dialect.

#32 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

I am curious to your opinion on this. When a company like Microsoft for example says they have sold 48 million XBOX 360's is that just the total number sold? That is not including how many of those people have had to purchase more than one unit or like me have 2 360's in their house. ( I have had 4 total myself in 5 years)

Not that everyone has multiple units but I just wonder if that is ever considered when they talk about the number of game units sold compared to the actual number of 360's they say have sold.

All that being said I am still in total agreement with Shipwreck's statement that Kinect is a one trick pony and they are cashing this Christmas while they can.
122445.png

#33 JadedJedi

JadedJedi

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

I would buy Robert Goode teaches Excel.
Posted Image Posted Image

#34 dante_calypso

dante_calypso

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Cheapy finally sold out to the so called 3D gimmick

#35 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

"I played it but I can't talk about it" is the most useless phrase in video game podcasts.

props to Shipwreck on this running skills. Do you run now or it is all a thing of the past?

#36 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

People I've met who are Mario say Mah-reo and not Mair-eo, but I still say it wrong.
[cp][/cp]

#37 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

the mario thing might be the oldest debate still on going in video games. And to be honest even when i cared enough to argue about it. I never bothered.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#38 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:15 AM

Why does CheapyD hate Kinect and motion gaming so much, yet loves shitty iPhone flash games? Both are the red-headed stepchild (sorry Shipwreck) to the traditional gaming master race.

Good point...

#39 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

Contests contests contests! Great show for me to drive 45 miles home in a snowstorm listening to. Kept my mind off of near death experience. Yay!

Shipwreck teh RUL3Z! Keep up the good podcast guys!
Posted Image

#40 csloan

csloan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hey Cheapy. I recently went to the doctor for a physical, and had to receive the dreaded finger up the ass. My doctor told me beforehand that he had recently read that the process is more bearable if you stand with your feet pointing inward. I tried this, and while it was still no walk in the park, it definitely made the process easier.

Just wanted to do my part to share knowledge that a guy can really use.

Thanks for the great show!

#41 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Not saying the Kinect is good or bad, but Wombat's theories about sales for Kinect games were way off base. By that logic, no one would release games for any new system. Yet at every console launch there's always a bunch of titles. Xbox doesn't expect any of those launch titles to sell millions of copies. The games didn't have the development budget of a CoD: Black Ops so don't need to sell 3 million copies to break even. They'll make a profit with low six digit sales.

#42 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

Not saying the Kinect is good or bad, but Wombat's theories about sales for Kinect games were way off base. By that logic, no one would release games for any new system. Yet at every console launch there's always a bunch of titles. Xbox doesn't expect any of those launch titles to sell millions of copies. The games didn't have the development budget of a CoD: Black Ops so don't need to sell 3 million copies to break even. They'll make a profit with low six digit sales.

Kinect isnt a new system, it is a peripheral. How many new games came out in 2010 for the Wii Balance board? and that has sold more then Kinect. My point stands.

#43 Janaak

Janaak

Console Rpair Needed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

The games didn't have the development budget of a CoD: Black Ops so don't need to sell 3 million copies to break even.

I lol'd... I doubt it took them a lot for the multiplayer side... just basically MW2 with treyarch's graphics and lil modded stuff. But I'm not Activision's financial person, so I wouldn't know for sure...
Posted Image

#44 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

yeah you're missing the point. Wombat wasn't wrong. it's like the Wii. Every Wii owner has a wiimote and nunchuck. So if you make a motion game for the Wii every Wii owner can play it. Only part of the Wii owners have WiiFit.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#45 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

When Shipwreck mentioned that all the weapons in Resistance are "Old", that may have been the dumbest thing I have ever heard him say. Sure they are weapons in that World War II time frame; however, they also have the Chimera weapons wich are the most unique weapons I have seen in a FPS to date. Shipwreck can also argue that he hates all those "Old" weapons in Halo. Its a FPS and every FPS that I have played consists of "Old" weapons. What consists of "Old" anything that fires bullets? If thats the case take out all the UNSC and Spartan weapons from Halo and just use the shitty Elite weapons.....Why are those damn Spartans still using Machine Guns and Assault Rifles anyways in the 26th Century?
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#46 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

oh yes I wanted to ask about that. Does it really matter what the weapons are in an FPS?

from a functional standpoint how often do they change?
Spoiler
In every FPS don't they have basically the same set. An assault riffle of some sort. maybe a quicker or more scoped version, the sniper riffle, the shotgun, the pistol, the rocket/rpg launcher. It's always the same that i've seen. Even if the weapons are from the Great War or the stone age as long as they function the same does it matter what their 'skin' is? It's not as if when you play with Civil War era 'assault riffle' it jams like the real thing.

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#47 NutManIV

NutManIV

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

I think it depends on how you're playing the game. If you're somewhat casual about it then you probably want many different types weapons to play around with, and you want variety so you're not always looking at the same thing.

If you're playing it competitively then you probably don't give a shit what the guns look like as long as they perform and are balanced.

#48 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

no variety is something different. I fully understand if your complaint is that there's ONLY 5 types of guns (1 riffle,1 pistol, 1 shotgun, 1 rocket, 1 sniper) and THAT's it. that's pretty sparse. My point was that it doesn't matter if they're 'futureweapons' or stones and slings. From a functional standpoint they're all the same. and if the gameplay is tight it shouldn't matter if they're civil war guns, modern guns or future guns. casual or competitive.

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#49 AleetPanda

AleetPanda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

I am sorry but this episode was not funny. I will give the show another try next week but my enthusiasm for this podcast is waining.

#50 Aeris5000

Aeris5000

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Love you guys, been listening for over two years now. Just to comment on the Child's Play charity, does it only run during the holiday season? I hate to say that the guys over at Gamers Network stole your thunder with Extra Life (which raised a HUGE amount of money), but that may be the case. Personally, I have donated to a handful of charities this season already, but will throw a few bucks towards Child's Play. Cheapy, I didn't like you referring to $5 donators as "assholes", but I'll chalk it up you being frustrated. My husband and I do what we can with our limited means. Anyway, happy holidays to all!

#51 200STM

200STM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

Hey Shipwreck I take you must have done cross country or track in high school have you ever heard of McFarland,Ca? I grew up there its my hometown and we have won numerous State Cross Country Championships. I was part of McFarland Cross Country (not during the winning years) but our couch would always say lots of people know of our little town just wondering if its true? Good Show Cagcast crew. I am curious in getting me an HKS controller I used to modify my cars in Gran Turismo 4 with HKS.

#52 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

What was that racing controller that Ship was talking about?

#53 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:31 AM

I'm a little behind, so I'll add some stuff about the last show along with this one.

About 222: I don't get the huge amount of hype Cheapy and Shipwreck place in the iPhone/iPod Touch setting the standards for the future of the handheld market, as I'm sure I could bring up a large list of issues that I'd have with the iPod Touch if I treated it like the handheld gaming system that Apple thinks it is. iPod Touch has a nearly 50% marketshare between the iPhone and Touch, which doesn't have 3G at all, So a huge portion of those people cannot download apps at any time, especially if they're not in a big city that has free public wifi that covers the entire city without any dead spots.

Talking about the free games being a huge selling point says a lot for how much lower the standard is for games and I'd expect games to at least be entertaining if I'm expected to put a little time into them at all, which is partially because of the big difference between approvals process between the DS/PSP and iPhone. Then there's the obvious fact that the iPhone/iPod Touch are not gaming machines, but phones that also happen to play games decently well. Apple refreshes them every year so that you need to upgrade at least every two years to be able to continue to play the newest games and that's at least a $200+ cost just to keep playing those free to $10 games and apps. PSP-1000 and original DS units still play every new PSP and DS game almost as good as the later iterations of those systems, which only added some memory and better screens as an added bonus with their redesigns. Meanwhile, the 8 GB iPod Touch 3GS that I bought in January was obsolete by the time that they announced iOS 4 since most of the major features wouldn't work with it (multi-tasking, Game Center, and wallpaper) and requires at least another $230 + tax to get them.

I agree that Sony and Nintendo should take some pointers from some of the things that the iPhone offers, but to model their new systems after the iPhone would be a huge mistake that would mostly hurt their products and damage their brands as gaming-focused systems.

About 223:

I don't get Wombat's criticism of DCUO, as the story/premise is all about Lex Luthor and the other DC superheroes giving the general population a serum to be able to turn them into superheroes/villains to help protect the Earth from Brainiac's forces that will be invading the Earth in the future. They won't offer a version with a one-time payment since that wouldn't give them enough money for long term development and support, so it's either a monthly sub or free-to-play with a ton of DLC to buy if you want it. I don't see SOE doing free-to-play until whenever Free Realms is released on PS3, though it's an idea that has been largely ignored by MS, Sony, and third parties.

MotorStorm Apocalypse has a bit more of a Split Second style to it as you're racing in a city that's been devastated by an earthquake, so buildings and other parts of the environment are falling down that is supposed to be permanent changes to the tracks throughout the rest of the career mode.

Burnout Paradise is the only place worth buying the Back to the Future-style DeLorean DLC.

Notes would be a good thing to have so we could see the crazy controller that Shipwreck was talking about. Decent show.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#54 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

Decent show. The CAGcast has been losing its magic. It needs more controversy!

#55 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

Hey. Where do we go to submit questions for the show? Is it here in the comments or somewhere else?

#56 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:59 AM

you can ask here.. but the most appropriate place would be the CAGbag

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#57 GaryZero

GaryZero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

So when is the next show guys? Come on I'm bored and I need some snarky Wombat and poop talk from Cheapy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

XBL: ZERombie / PSN: GaryZero / OnLive: ZERombie

#58 killthemall4444

killthemall4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

So when is the next show guys? Come on I'm bored and I need some snarky Wombat and poop talk from Cheapy.

For real. Would they be cruel enough to deny us a CAGCAST for two weeks straight!?

#59 JMEPO

JMEPO

Drakes Deception

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Cheapy, I can't believe you didn't watch IP Man just because you saw it was subbed. That was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time and you should deffinatley give it a second chance. BTW you can just stream it off Netflix so you didn't need to pay $5

#60 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:13 AM

you can ask here.. but the most appropriate place would be the CAGbag

Thank you! Question submitted.