[Dead] GoHastings.com - Buy 2 Get 3rd for $1 (Present deal is 20% off any used item)

Kylearan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Shouldn't surprise anyone, but GoHastings.com has been having yet another of it's Used "Mix and Match" sales.

BUY 2 USED
Books, CDs, DVDs & Games
Get the 3rd for $1

Use Promo Code MM123 at checkout.

[$1.12 SHIPPING DEAL IS DEAD]

"Mix and Match" deal does not work on Previously Viewed items.

Also, an item may be listed as "Out of Stock" on the search page, but this may only, actually apply to Previously Viewed items. Be sure to at least "Quickview" the item to see whether or not the Used item is Out of Stock as well. It's often the case that the Used item IS in stock.

Lastly, be prepared for possible cancelations. The holidays weren't very kind to GoHastings.com, with supply and inventory problems of every kind imaginable and a lot of people's orders canceled. I had a few items canceled, but whatever - most of the things I ordered arrived just fine.

-----

Thought I should include a quick-guide to ordering on GoHastings, and some trade-in ideas.

While it's good to remember that the least-valued item of your 3 items will be discounted to $1.00, it's critical to know that GoHastings will still ship your $1.00 game - and charge you for just the $1.00 and shipping - even if another, higher-priced item in your order is canceled. So, make sure you order wisely. Many of us received games like Fallout: New Vegas for $3.28 total because another game from our B2G14$1 got canceled.

Of course, this works both ways and you can get screwed if your $1.00 item is the one canceled, thus necessitating a call to Customer Service. Just play it safe - if you believe there's any possibility a particular item might get canceled due to high demand, do NOT use that as your $1.00 item. Caveat emptor.

Also, you may have an eye on trading in one of your 3 items to another site, such as Amazon. As an example, Brutal Legend for the XBOX 360 is presently $5.69 Used on GoHastings (it was $4.96 yesterday), yet trades-in to Amazon at $6.00 (as of 12/28). If you bought it yesterday, 3 games at $4.96, your total with shipping was $14.28, or $4.76 per game. Offsetting the Amazon trade-in of $6.00, you paid $8.28 for two games shipped from GoHastings, or $4.14 each - and now have $6.00 credit at Amazon.

(There were better deals doing that yesterday, but you get the idea.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno if this is the cause, but lately when i've ordered books from gohastings they've been shipping more than one in an envelope if possible instead of shipping every book separately, maybe they passed on the savings?

Does anybody know if the games come with cases/manuals and what are the usual conditions of the games? Thanks

[quote name='dagame92']Does anybody know if the games come with cases/manuals and what are the usual conditions of the games? Thanks[/QUOTE]

The games are traded into gohastings so the quality varies. AFAIK they guarantee cases and manuals but nothing else.

I've ordered about ten games from them, all have been nearly mint. None have included any of the DLC codes though.

the games come in great condition for what you pay. i've ordered only ps3 ones and blu rays generally tend to look good no matter what so i'm not sure about xbox. the product description for each item lets you know if you're going to get a booklet or not i believe.

How long does gohastings take to refund a canceled game? I did this B2G1 deal a couple days ago and Heavenly Sword got canceled, yet I still got charged, and no reply to customer service emails...

[quote name='fujimitsu']The games are traded into gohastings so the quality varies. AFAIK they guarantee cases and manuals but nothing else.

I've ordered about ten games from them, all have been nearly mint. None have included any of the DLC codes though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

[quote name='fujimitsu']The games are traded into gohastings so the quality varies. AFAIK they guarantee cases and manuals but nothing else.

I've ordered about ten games from them, all have been nearly mint. None have included any of the DLC codes though.[/QUOTE]

They don't guarantee case/manual. It's almost always included though.

[quote name='elessar123']They don't guarantee case/manual. It's almost always included though.[/QUOTE]

Yup and quality of the cases is iffy, Ive had more than a few torn, glory holed and bent ones. The disc themselves have always been in good condition though.
Prices have gone through the roof for this sale though, doesnt seem good at all.

Ohh, and their customer service sucks.

[/QUOTE]

The quality varies indeed and unfortunately, I got the shit end of the spectrum.

I just got in one of the four :ps3: games I ordered back during the pre-Christmas sale. I noticed that the bubble mailer was unusually light so I assumed the game had no manual. Much to my surprise there was no manual AND game disc inside. I had to give their customer service a call to get a refund since they were sold out but this entire experience soured my opinion about GoHastings. I really hope that the other three incoming games come complete.

I'm sure this must be just a fluke occurrence but this is one hell of a first impression about the company.

[quote name='knightsdwn']The quality varies indeed and unfortunately, I got the shit end of the spectrum.

I just got in one of the four :ps3: games I ordered back during the pre-Christmas sale. I noticed that the bubble mailer was unusually light so I assumed the game had no manual. Much to my surprise there was no manual AND game disc inside. I had to give their customer service a call to get a refund since they were sold out but this entire experience soured my opinion about GoHastings. I really hope that the other three incoming games come complete.

I'm sure this must be just a fluke occurrence but this is one hell of a first impression about the company.[/QUOTE]

Sucks that you got burned like that but all it took was a phone call to get your money back... I'd say that's the best you could hope for given the situation. Honestly surprising considering what I've heard about their CS department.

[quote name='fujimitsu']Sucks that you got burned like that but all it took was a phone call to get your money back... I'd say that's the best you could hope for given the situation. Honestly surprising considering what I've heard about their CS department.[/QUOTE]

My talk with the GoHastings rep went surprisingly smooth. Took roughly 3-5 minutes from the time I dialed till the rep told me that I'll receive the refund in 3 days.

I remember reading a CAG suggestion to avoid emailing their CS department as they take forever to respond. Giving them a phone call seems to be the right way to go.

I don't know. The prices seem a lot higher than what they usually post for these sales, and lot of games are out of stock. I'm gonna have to pass this time around

It seems they don't guarantee manuals. I recently recieved a game without one, and was told it isn't guaranteed.

[quote name='sillymonkey321']I dunno if this is the cause, but lately when i've ordered books from gohastings they've been shipping more than one in an envelope if possible instead of shipping every book separately, maybe they passed on the savings?[/QUOTE]

A fair theory, but not true in this particular case.

They ship multiple items in the same envelope - for the same order - if those multiple items happen to be in stock at the same store. If you place multiple orders for single items, or one order for multiple items that are in stock at different stores, then they'll ship those in separate mailers.

[quote name='SpockBlocker']How long does gohastings take to refund a canceled game? I did this B2G1 deal a couple days ago and Heavenly Sword got canceled, yet I still got charged, and no reply to customer service emails...[/QUOTE]

As has been echoed elsewhere, by myself and others, their "Customer Service" EMAIL is an absolute joke. It not only takes days and days to get a response, but they'll ask you for information you've already provided - like your order number, which might even be the subject of your initial inquiry.

Your best bet is the phone. With the holiday onslaught over, the pick-up time is within 5 minutes. Just use a speakerphone if you have one.

The two times I've called, my issue has been resolved promptly.

As for when you'll get your refund, once GoHastings files the refund with your credit card company, it's up to your CC company to process it. That time varies by CC and by bank.

[quote name='edson13']Yup and quality of the cases is iffy, Ive had more than a few torn, glory holed and bent ones. The disc themselves have always been in good condition though.
Prices have gone through the roof for this sale though, doesnt seem good at all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the cases can be iffy - as can some of the artwork. It's a crapshoot, really, though I'd say about 80% come complete and in like-new condition or close. Sometime you'll even get a new game or a special edition, even if you ordered used or standard edition.

As for the prices, they do tend to fluctuate rather wildly at times. One day Call of Duty: Black Ops will be $40-something, another it'll be $53.99.

While it's nice to pick up 3 newer released titles for $80-$90 shipped, I find these GoHastings.com sales are best for picking up a bunch of those $5-$12 games you may have passed on when they were first released. The prices are unlikely to dip anytime soon, if ever, so the time-value of your purchase is pretty much optimal.

Has anyone ever ordered DVD sets from hastings? They have the last season of SFU (the only one I need) for 11 dollars but I don't wanna end up without the actual box or something.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Has anyone ever ordered DVD sets from hastings? They have the last season of SFU (the only one I need) for 11 dollars but I don't wanna end up without the actual box or something.[/QUOTE]

I have. The discs come in worse condition than the games I've ordered from them. Plenty of scratches and chips, but they play. They inlcuded the box art but no inserts, if there were any. No idea if they include slipcovers if the DVD came with slipcovers. I assume it depends on if the person selling the game to Hastings turned in a slipcover. One box art I received looked like it was chewed up by a dog, which was my biggest complaint.

Also, a couple of my games came with Hastings' rental sticker on the disc. I can't figure out if they said "fuck it" and sent me a "Previously Viewed" title, or if someone bought a "Previously Viewed" title from them, then sold it back to Hastings so it technically was now "Used" instead of "Previously Viewed." Either way, their conditions were the same as the "Used" games.

[quote name='djbasura']I don't know. The prices seem a lot higher than what they usually post for these sales, and lot of games are out of stock. I'm gonna have to pass this time around[/QUOTE]
They just got done having two massive sales(one was 60% off and the other included free shipping), so chances are there haven't been many trade-ins to replenish their stock since those sales.

It happens.

Might have to order some games if this reduced shipping is correct...

Finally received the last 5 games from my 7 game order from the last 60% and free shipping sale.

Had very good results... all came in original case and came with manuals... Conditions of the cases and discs were excellent. Also The Orange box i received was brand new in wrapper still .. not bad for ~$6 shipped.

Props again to GH and will continue to order from them...

Also been noticing hastings has been shipping me multiple games in one go instead of seperate individual packages...

Their price seem pretty absurd this time around... gonna have to pass until their prices come down

[quote name='uthoria']Their price seem pretty absurd this time around... gonna have to pass until their prices come down[/QUOTE]

I just noticed that, vanquish went from like 25 dollars used to 50

Edit: I think This is my first post and I been here for almost 2 years lol

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Has anyone ever ordered DVD sets from hastings? They have the last season of SFU (the only one I need) for 11 dollars but I don't wanna end up without the actual box or something.[/QUOTE]

I've ordered 10 or 15 sets. All came complete, except for Sopranos where they sent me a Chinese bootleg and took 3 weeks to give me a refund.

Wow...Today is the day that I realized that I have way too much games and I need to clear away my backlog before I do anything else. When you're looking at the list of 3 possible games to get, and you have pretty much everyone you are interested in, hell, even have games you're not interested in sitting in your backlog, that's a problem.

CAG is a dangerous place and I need to stay away...

[quote name='ryushe']Wow...Today is the day that I realized that I have way too much games and I need to clear away my backlog before I do anything else. When you're looking at the list of 3 possible games to get, and you have pretty much everyone you are interested in, hell, even have games you're not interested in sitting in your backlog, that's a problem.

CAG is a dangerous place and I need to stay away...[/QUOTE]

LOL. Did you friggin read my mind? I'm in the same exact situation as you and yet I just ordered a Move bundle from the Sonystyle deal and I plan on going to GS to pick up more of their B2G1... at least one of the games will be a gift.
Possible New Years resolution: Stop buying, more playing backlog.

I bought 5 games on the recent free shipping day, every game had a case and manual in fairly good condition, but every game was flawless.. literally no scratches on ANY of the 5 discs, they looked unplayed.

I know it's a crapshoot regarding receiving the DLC. I usually don't pay attention to it if it's more or less inconsequential. But would this apply to games like Uncharted 2: GOTY, where the DLC comes separately but literally defines it as a GOTY edition?

I just bought a PS3, and I'm thinking I should have paid more attention to PS3 deals from when I thought I'd never buy a PS3. I bit on some deals that I knew I'd get in the future (i.e. Metal Gear Solid 4), but I never really sought out for PS3 deals beforehand. :wall:

edit: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7951086 Well, at least with some confirmation, I can pass on some of my choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='egonpax']Possible New Years resolution: Stop buying, more playing backlog.[/QUOTE]

Possible, huh? There's commitment!

My backlog is gigormous, yet I keep adding those solid back titles for $5-$8 when they're there. I'm frankly having a hard time understanding why I even buy many games when they are new or newish.

Mass Effect 3 or even Dragon's Age 2 will get my buy on release, those are exceptions, but why buy, say, Fallout: New Vegas or NFS: Hot Pursuit at $35 when it'll be $15 by the time I even get to it? Now, if I buy it at $15, even with backlog, that's another story, especially if it's part of a B2G$1 sale.

Similar reason why I have a tough time joining GameFly - why join for $12/month if you're going to buy a game for less than that, and then make a little $ back on the resell?

So...I'm OK with the backlog, as long as I play through it, am selling when done, and am buying cheap. Gotta play 'em, though, before you buy 'em.

Buy 2 Get 1 for $1 is dead. Present deal is 20% off any used item, possibly even Previously Viewed Items as well.

This 20% off deal INCLUDES Blu-Rays. Good Friday and Saturday only (12/31/10, 1/1/11).

bread's done
Back