Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies $19.99 at Amazon

Such a great game. We have 4 people in our house that play this. We went to the DQ event and got free t-shirts,posters, and grottos for our DQ

[quote name='patches48']Even through Black Friday, was DQIX ever this cheap?[/QUOTE]
It was either 19.99 or 14.99 on black friday (on amazon, for a brief time).

I don't even see how this can even be called a "jrpg." It has create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot. That puts it more in line with old western PC rpgs like Might and Magic, and DQIX does not compare favorably.

It's pretty sad to see such a venerable series take a huge step back from the excellent DQVIII. If they wanted to make a hand-held side game and call it something different then fine, but I don't like the numbered console DQ games being besmirched through association with this turd. It's similar to making Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles an official numbered game...Square avoided that for a reason.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']I don't even see how this can even be called a "jrpg." It has create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot. That puts it more in line with old western PC rpgs like Might and Magic, and DQIX does not compare favorably.

It's pretty sad to see such a venerable series take a huge step back from the excellent DQVIII. If they wanted to make a hand-held side game and call it something different then fine, but I don't like the numbered console DQ games being besmirched through association with this turd. It's similar to making Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles an official numbered game...Square avoided that for a reason.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I quit playing a bit after curing the disease...no story, very boring.

It's story is simple, but charming. Each town will have a confined story and a dilemma. You arrive to find out what the problem is, go through a few quests to fix it, then move to the next town. Rinse and repeat.

What I disliked most about the game is how easy it was. Seemed off after playing DQ8.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']I don't even see how this can even be called a "jrpg." It has create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot. That puts it more in line with old western PC rpgs like Might and Magic, and DQIX does not compare favorably.

It's pretty sad to see such a venerable series take a huge step back from the excellent DQVIII. If they wanted to make a hand-held side game and call it something different then fine, but I don't like the numbered console DQ games being besmirched through association with this turd. It's similar to making Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles an official numbered game...Square avoided that for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Get the fuck out of this thread. DQIII had create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot and it is one of the finest JRPGs ever made. Though I do agree that IX is one of the weaker games in the series, you basically knocked DQIII (and many other old-school JRPGs- don't tell me Final Fantasy isn't a JRPG) and that shit isn't cool.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Get the fuck out of this thread. DQIII had create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot and it is one of the finest JRPGs ever made. Though I do agree that IX is one of the weaker games in the series, you basically knocked DQIII (and many other old-school JRPGs- don't tell me Final Fantasy isn't a JRPG) and that shit isn't cool.[/QUOTE]

u mad?

Best selling DQ game of all time, IIRC. Not a turd.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Get the fuck out of this thread. DQIII had create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot and it is one of the finest JRPGs ever made. Though I do agree that IX is one of the weaker games in the series, you basically knocked DQIII (and many other old-school JRPGs- don't tell me Final Fantasy isn't a JRPG) and that shit isn't cool.[/QUOTE]

As a side note... do not start a brand new game of Etrian Odyssy III after playing DQIX for 10 hours - it will make your head hurt. :shock:

[quote name='gkrykewy']Best selling DQ game of all time, IIRC. Not a turd.[/QUOTE]

Best-selling=/=Not a turd. Though DQ9 isn't a turd in the least even though many games in the series are better imo.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']u mad?[/QUOTE]

And yes, I mad. Because your post was stupid and factually wrong. It's fine to have opinions about games' quality but to claim DQ9 is not a JRPG just because the story is bad and you make your own characters.... now that's a fail.

[quote name='patches48']Even through Black Friday, was DQIX ever this cheap?[/QUOTE]
When Golden Sun: Dark Dawn came out for the DS, you could get DQ9 for $14.99 if you bought the two games together at Kmart.
Provided you did that, that was the lowest I can recall DQ9 going.
It was $17 on Black Friday at Target, though, and $19.99 at Amazon (I also want to say Amazon had it for $17 on Cyber Monday, might be wrong though).

Great game, but I never did much of the grotto extra stuff. Too bad it doesn't have extra files to start a new game on... I'll lose all my gamestop grottoes.

Best RPG on the DS, period, and a worthy entry to the DQ series. The plot is light, but also a nice change from the standard RPG formula. The people you help along the course of the story become the characters, each town is a microcosm of the story and has it's own feel. It's very different but I completely loved it, so don't listen to the naysayers.

I snagged this for $20 the week of release thanks to a BB price match with TRU, they were offering a GC with purchase and BB just removed the value of the card from the overall price. Since July I've logged over 200 hours and I'm not bored yet. Get it!

I decided to go ahead and get this, I knew I should have snagged it when it was $17, oh well, its only 3 bucks I guess. Thanks OP

Quick question, will I be ok just jumping into this without any other DQ experience?

[quote name='gkrykewy']Best selling DQ game of all time, IIRC. Not a turd.[/QUOTE]

Sales do not equal quality.

If it was a good game, Amazon wouldn't have to purge the user reviews round the clock to pump up the score. Isn't it funny how there are only 67 reviews when most games of similar sales numbers have 200-500+ reviews? And isn't it funny how there is only one one-star review and no two star reviews when there used to be hundreds of them? In fact, the vast majority of user reviews were negative. It's disgusting to see the collaboration between Amazon's self-interest of increasing its sales of a bad game and pathetic DQ fanboys who will lap up whatever crap is thrown their way and can't accept that the only way to get the series back on the right track is to admit that the current entry sucks and demand accountability from its creators.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']If it was a good game, Amazon wouldn't have to purge the user reviews round the clock to pump up the score. Isn't it funny how there are only 67 reviews when most games of similar sales numbers have 200-500+ reviews? And isn't it funny how there is only one one-star review and no two star reviews when there used to be hundreds of them? In fact, the vast majority of user reviews were negative. It's disgusting to see the collaboration between Amazon's self-interest of increasing its sales of a bad game and pathetic DQ fanboys who will lap up whatever crap is thrown their way and can't accept that the only way to get the series back on the right track is to admit that the current entry sucks and demand accountability from its creators.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of how Amazon handles its user reviews, if you were desperate for reviews, wouldn't you just head over to Metacritic or Gamerankings? They seemed to have a lot of good things to say about the game, too. I've heard far, far more positive things about DQ9 from several gaming podcasts than negative. I'm personally looking forward to playing it when I get the time.

[quote name='Thrinn']Regardless of how Amazon handles its user reviews, if you were desperate for reviews, wouldn't you just head over to Metacritic or Gamerankings? They seemed to have a lot of good things to say about the game, too. I've heard far, far more positive things about DQ9 from several gaming podcasts than negative. I'm personally looking forward to playing it when I get the time.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I don't trust paid critics, particularly when their paychecks come indirectly from the game companies instead of the audience they are supposed to serve. That's how scandals like Enron happened: accounting firms treated the companies they were auditing as clients instead of the investing public relying on the audits. Some of the semi-pro websites have integrity but IGN and Gamespot are jokes. Even past the integrity issue, I trust a game's fanbase a lot more than a reviewer that was assigned to the game and may not even be interested in it and most of the time has no idea what the game's target audience is looking for. That's how games like Supreme Commander 2 end up with average reviews even though they are shit and create mass outrage from fans of the series. Not being fans of the series, the reviewers can't see what's wrong. The same thing happened with DQ9: decent reviews from paid critics and mass outrage from actual fans of the series. The outrage is well-deserved, I have no idea what they were thinking with the fairy.

You also forgot to mention how it was the most PROMOTED DQ game of all time. How many times have you seen Seth Green do commercials for DQ before this game??? :roll: I was seriously astounded by how hard they pushed this game. Even though EVERYONE HATES JRPGS (and by that, I mean a large chunk of gamers, if not the majority)... they went ahead and massively promoted one of the most classic, unchanged JRPGs in the Japanese market. DQ is so traditional, it might as well have a Japanese name written in Kanji.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Sales do not equal quality.

If it was a good game, Amazon wouldn't have to purge the user reviews round the clock to pump up the score. Isn't it funny how there are only 67 reviews when most games of similar sales numbers have 200-500+ reviews? And isn't it funny how there is only one one-star review and no two star reviews when there used to be hundreds of them? In fact, the vast majority of user reviews were negative. It's disgusting to see the collaboration between Amazon's self-interest of increasing its sales of a bad game and pathetic DQ fanboys who will lap up whatever crap is thrown their way and can't accept that the only way to get the series back on the right track is to admit that the current entry sucks and demand accountability from its creators.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Thrinn']Regardless of how Amazon handles its user reviews, if you were desperate for reviews, wouldn't you just head over to Metacritic or Gamerankings? They seemed to have a lot of good things to say about the game, too. I've heard far, far more positive things about DQ9 from several gaming podcasts than negative. I'm personally looking forward to playing it when I get the time.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of critic reviews, didn't anyone find it bizarre how most critics seemed to LOVE DQIX, despite their general hatred of JRPGs??? I'm used to hearing them bash the hell out of JRPGs, and sure enough I hear all about how great DQIX is. Yet, I don't recall a single reviewer mentioning it's your standard JRPG, a genre many gamers abhor.

I'm telling you guys, this game stinks of corrupt marketing gimmicks and paid reviews...

If not for that weird aura, I might have bought the game a while back. For now... I'm on the fence.

I've only played a few of the Dragon Quest games (I, II, III, VIII) but honestly I always thought III was the weakest of the ones I played.

it's a disappointing sequel because every progresses the series made so far has been nulled. the reason why it's loved by many is because DS in general has low standards. not to mention, many of the DQIX players are new to the series with low expectations.

i wish it came out the way it was meant to be without IX in the title, action-rpg. multiplayer would've been 100x better with real-time gameplay.

I really don't understand all the hate for this game. I know a good portion of it suffers from the "it's popular so I'm going to hate it" effect... these people probably don't like the Beatles (omg they are SO overrated), the lord of the rings movie trilogy (I read the books, they way better), Gamestop (everything I buy from there is broken and the ppl are rude)... ok maybe I can see the Gamestop thing sometimes.. but the point is that its this kind of dilapidated gaming-hipster bullshit that seems to permeate everything. Having started with the Dragon Warrior games on the NES, I can say DQIX is a *great* game. It's more accessible than the previous entries, it's fun, and can be challenging. What more do you want? For DQIII to be remade 20 more times? There are alot of neat and unique multiplayer aspects. Map tagging? Brilliant! I just wish we had higher population densities here in the US (esp where I live) so I could run across more people that had the game. I would have liked more WiFi options as well. I'm glad this game was successful also as it guarantees DQVI's release on the DS - not to mention other opportunities for the DQ franchise (I'd love a DQ I/II DS release).

Ultimately, if you are looking for a good game and even have even a passing interest in RPGs - GET THIS! And get a couple for your friends. At $20 there is no way you can go wrong.

"It's party slime!"

yeah, i didnt think DQ9 was that great, even for a handheld rpg(i could always just use my gba and play a final fantasy/bof or even a fire emblem if need be. way better games.).

i logged around 50 hours in DQ9 before i traded it off here on CAG.

im gonna buy it now and keep it sealed tho.

bread's done
Back