Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies $19.99 at Amazon

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 UltraMysteryDopplega

UltraMysteryDopplega

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

Best selling DQ game of all time, IIRC. Not a turd.

Sales do not equal quality.

If it was a good game, Amazon wouldn't have to purge the user reviews round the clock to pump up the score. Isn't it funny how there are only 67 reviews when most games of similar sales numbers have 200-500+ reviews? And isn't it funny how there is only one one-star review and no two star reviews when there used to be hundreds of them? In fact, the vast majority of user reviews were negative. It's disgusting to see the collaboration between Amazon's self-interest of increasing its sales of a bad game and pathetic DQ fanboys who will lap up whatever crap is thrown their way and can't accept that the only way to get the series back on the right track is to admit that the current entry sucks and demand accountability from its creators.

#32 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

If it was a good game, Amazon wouldn't have to purge the user reviews round the clock to pump up the score. Isn't it funny how there are only 67 reviews when most games of similar sales numbers have 200-500+ reviews? And isn't it funny how there is only one one-star review and no two star reviews when there used to be hundreds of them? In fact, the vast majority of user reviews were negative. It's disgusting to see the collaboration between Amazon's self-interest of increasing its sales of a bad game and pathetic DQ fanboys who will lap up whatever crap is thrown their way and can't accept that the only way to get the series back on the right track is to admit that the current entry sucks and demand accountability from its creators.

Regardless of how Amazon handles its user reviews, if you were desperate for reviews, wouldn't you just head over to Metacritic or Gamerankings? They seemed to have a lot of good things to say about the game, too. I've heard far, far more positive things about DQ9 from several gaming podcasts than negative. I'm personally looking forward to playing it when I get the time.

#33 UltraMysteryDopplega

UltraMysteryDopplega

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:38 AM

Regardless of how Amazon handles its user reviews, if you were desperate for reviews, wouldn't you just head over to Metacritic or Gamerankings? They seemed to have a lot of good things to say about the game, too. I've heard far, far more positive things about DQ9 from several gaming podcasts than negative. I'm personally looking forward to playing it when I get the time.

Nah, I don't trust paid critics, particularly when their paychecks come indirectly from the game companies instead of the audience they are supposed to serve. That's how scandals like Enron happened: accounting firms treated the companies they were auditing as clients instead of the investing public relying on the audits. Some of the semi-pro websites have integrity but IGN and Gamespot are jokes. Even past the integrity issue, I trust a game's fanbase a lot more than a reviewer that was assigned to the game and may not even be interested in it and most of the time has no idea what the game's target audience is looking for. That's how games like Supreme Commander 2 end up with average reviews even though they are shit and create mass outrage from fans of the series. Not being fans of the series, the reviewers can't see what's wrong. The same thing happened with DQ9: decent reviews from paid critics and mass outrage from actual fans of the series. The outrage is well-deserved, I have no idea what they were thinking with the fairy.

#34 Magikarp830

Magikarp830

SPLASH had no effect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

Best selling DQ game of all time, IIRC. Not a turd.

You also forgot to mention how it was the most PROMOTED DQ game of all time. How many times have you seen Seth Green do commercials for DQ before this game??? :roll: I was seriously astounded by how hard they pushed this game. Even though EVERYONE HATES JRPGS (and by that, I mean a large chunk of gamers, if not the majority)... they went ahead and massively promoted one of the most classic, unchanged JRPGs in the Japanese market. DQ is so traditional, it might as well have a Japanese name written in Kanji.

Sales do not equal quality.

This.

Speaking of critic reviews, didn't anyone find it bizarre how most critics seemed to LOVE DQIX, despite their general hatred of JRPGs??? I'm used to hearing them bash the hell out of JRPGs, and sure enough I hear all about how great DQIX is. Yet, I don't recall a single reviewer mentioning it's your standard JRPG, a genre many gamers abhor.

I'm telling you guys, this game stinks of corrupt marketing gimmicks and paid reviews...

If not for that weird aura, I might have bought the game a while back. For now... I'm on the fence.

#35 rainking187

rainking187

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Get the Fuck out of this thread. DQIII had create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot and it is one of the finest JRPGs ever made. Though I do agree that IX is one of the weaker games in the series, you basically knocked DQIII (and many other old-school JRPGs- don't tell me Final Fantasy isn't a JRPG) and that shit isn't cool.

I've only played a few of the Dragon Quest games (I, II, III, VIII) but honestly I always thought III was the weakest of the ones I played.

#36 Maskim

Maskim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

Such a good game. If I didn't already own it, I'd be jumping all over this.
Posted Image

#37 disgaeaea

disgaeaea

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

it's a disappointing sequel because every progresses the series made so far has been nulled. the reason why it's loved by many is because DS in general has low standards. not to mention, many of the DQIX players are new to the series with low expectations.

i wish it came out the way it was meant to be without IX in the title, action-rpg. multiplayer would've been 100x better with real-time gameplay.

#38 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

For whoever is interested. After ordering this last night Amazon sent me a link for a DQ wallpaper, seems like anyone can get it and not a single use thing.

Heres the link, enjoy:

http://g-ecx.images-...aper_Amazon.jpg

Edited by Brother Daz, 01 January 2011 - 03:54 PM.

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Wolfenstein  :ps4: Octodad   :360:    :ps3: Used for a 3D player now   :3ds:-Pok√©mon X, Zelda:ALBW (3DS FC: 0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#39 sonicradiation

sonicradiation

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

I really don't understand all the hate for this game. I know a good portion of it suffers from the "it's popular so I'm going to hate it" effect... these people probably don't like the Beatles (omg they are SO overrated), the lord of the rings movie trilogy (I read the books, they way better), Gamestop (everything I buy from there is broken and the ppl are rude)... ok maybe I can see the Gamestop thing sometimes.. but the point is that its this kind of dilapidated gaming-hipster bullshit that seems to permeate everything. Having started with the Dragon Warrior games on the NES, I can say DQIX is a *great* game. It's more accessible than the previous entries, it's fun, and can be challenging. What more do you want? For DQIII to be remade 20 more times? There are alot of neat and unique multiplayer aspects. Map tagging? Brilliant! I just wish we had higher population densities here in the US (esp where I live) so I could run across more people that had the game. I would have liked more WiFi options as well. I'm glad this game was successful also as it guarantees DQVI's release on the DS - not to mention other opportunities for the DQ franchise (I'd love a DQ I/II DS release).

Ultimately, if you are looking for a good game and even have even a passing interest in RPGs - GET THIS! And get a couple for your friends. At $20 there is no way you can go wrong.

"It's party slime!"

#40 StripesOrBars

StripesOrBars

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

yeah, i didnt think DQ9 was that great, even for a handheld rpg(i could always just use my gba and play a final fantasy/bof or even a fire emblem if need be. way better games.).

i logged around 50 hours in DQ9 before i traded it off here on CAG.

im gonna buy it now and keep it sealed tho.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 rothgar24

rothgar24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Great game. Still playing it after four months.

#42 bredbu

bredbu

I love Lamp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

is this a lot like the oldschool final fantasys? like 1 2 and 3