Photo
- - - - -

2011 MLB Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1448 replies to this topic

#1411 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:39 AM

The Tigers were probably desperate. If V-mart wasn't injured they wouldn't have done this, but I think the Tigers are getting to one of those stages where they are thinking they have to win now before Martinez, and Miggy start to lose it.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#1412 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

Yeah, if the Tigers are going to win a World Series, it will be in the next few years.

So it's a good move in the short term. And by the time Fielder is on the decline, their other stars will be declining as well and they'd be sucking and in rebuilding mode anyway.

Edited by dmaul1114, 25 January 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#1413 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

Hate seeing him go but knew he'd be gone after this last season. Hope he does well. We'll miss him in Milwaukee big time.

Look, there's no easy way to ask this so I'm just gonna do it...

Does anyone want to be gay lovers with me in Fable 3?

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#1414 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

Jesus, Pujols AND Fielder jump to the AL? Thank God the Yankees have like 8 starting pitchers, lol. Also, I expect Roy Halladay and others to FEAST on NL hitting now that basically all the big bats are gone.

#1415 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

Jesus, Pujols AND Fielder jump to the AL? Thank God the Yankees have like 8 starting pitchers, lol. Also, I expect Roy Halladay and others to FEAST on NL hitting now that basically all the big bats are gone.

AL: Your 2012 bad contract headquarters.
Posted Image

#1416 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

Someone told me about the Nationals not wanting Phillies fans to come to their home games when the Phillies are playing there. I thought it was a joke. Apparently not:
http://bleacherrepor...ys-no-good-here

So they would rather have all those seats not sell that would normally be bought by Phillies fans traveling to DC?

#1417 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:05 AM

I read that too. I'm not one of the ones to drive to DC, but I'd think this would just encourage more Phils fans to do so.

#1418 Jimbo Slice

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

I've made the trip to Citizens Bank Park South before, and plan to do so again this season, especially because of the stupid policy.

#1419 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

AL: Your 2012 bad contract headquarters.

The contracts wont be bad if the team wins a world series. I think most owners would pay $200-$250 million if it meant a championship.
To each his own.

#1420 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Someone told me about the Nationals not wanting Phillies fans to come to their home games when the Phillies are playing there. I thought it was a joke. Apparently not:
http://bleacherrepor...ys-no-good-here

So they would rather have all those seats not sell that would normally be bought by Phillies fans traveling to DC?

This came up in another forum. Apparently Phillies' fans brought the worst of themselves to the games.

#1421 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

And in the greatest Yankee offseason news of all time, the Pirates are actually considering trading for AJ Burnett. Classic case of addition by subtraction.

#1422 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

And in the greatest Yankee offseason news of all time, the Pirates are actually considering trading for AJ Burnett. Classic case of addition by subtraction.

Strangely enough, it looks like going to Pittsburgh and pitching in that park would be huge for him. Though, I think the Yankees should send him to the Padres, he would love pitching in Petco!

I hate that the Red Sox are just waiting it out with Oswalt. I mean it's not like he could do worse than Lackey did last year and would be a nice 5th starter.
Posted Image

#1423 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

I hate that the Red Sox are just waiting it out with Oswalt. I mean it's not like he could do worse than Lackey did last year and would be a nice 5th starter.

They're determined to stay under the luxury tax ceiling this season, and are very very close. That's the unfortunate reality created by the terrible contracts (Lackey, Crawford, Matsuzaka to a lesser extent) they're saddled with. It's definitely frustrating as a fan to see them so suddenly frugal, but I do think it's in the longterm best interests of the franchise.

33126.png

#1424 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

They're determined to stay under the luxury tax ceiling this season, and are very very close. That's the unfortunate reality created by the terrible contracts (Lackey, Crawford, Matsuzaka to a lesser extent) they're saddled with. It's definitely frustrating as a fan to see them so suddenly frugal, but I do think it's in the longterm best interests of the franchise.

I think over the next a few years a lot of the high spenders are going cut payroll to avoid the luxury tax. You need to look no further than Cashman, who opines about the importance of the Yankees being below the luxury tax ceiling by 2014.

#1425 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

It will be tough for fanbases of those teams to swallow, but it's ultimately in the best interest of the sport. Besides, I think both teams will be better served in the long run by being more judicious about how they allocate their resources.

33126.png

#1426 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

It will be tough for fanbases of those teams to swallow, but it's ultimately in the best interest of the sport. Besides, I think both teams will be better served in the long run by being more judicious about how they allocate their resources.

As a Yankee fan I see the point in getting below the luxury tax to reset it. However, in the long run I don't see the Yankees being frugal. We can't do it. Too many major parts need to be replaced over the next few years.

#1427 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

As a Yankee fan I see the point in getting below the luxury tax to reset it. However, in the long run I don't see the Yankees being frugal. We can't do it. Too many major parts need to be replaced over the next few years.

Well, they can do it. The Yankees have finally re-built themselves a respectable farm system, there's no reason some of those guys can't actually play for the team. But no, I don't see the Yankees ever going that route. Nor do they need to, they're always going to be the richest team in baseball. Yeah, the Red Sox are hardly hurting financially, but the major difference is they can't afford to pay the luxury tax annually, while the Yankees can.

I still think baseball should have a hard cap, but that's a discussion for another day.

33126.png

#1428 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Well, they can do it. The Yankees have finally re-built themselves a respectable farm system, there's no reason some of those guys can't actually play for the team. But no, I don't see the Yankees ever going that route. Nor do they need to, they're always going to be the richest team in baseball. Yeah, the Red Sox are hardly hurting financially, but the major difference is they can't afford to pay the luxury tax annually, while the Yankees can.

I still think baseball should have a hard cap, but that's a discussion for another day.

The Yankees haven't been in true rebuilding mode since I was 8 or 9 years old. The expectation is to win the world series every year. Anything less is seen as failure. This sentiment promotes an environment of overspending and prevents a true youth movement from taking place.

#1429 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Oh, I completely understand them trying to stay under the Luxury Tax, might as well call it a cap. The thing that hurt their chances at a solid SP is Ortiz. I think they should have just let him walk and deal with the backlash. He did a lot here, but cutting the cord early is better than doing so too late.

Next year could be intriguing, if Ortiz is gone for good, Youk's option (I think he has one) isn't picked up, Dice-K is gone, and Inglessia figures out hit!
Posted Image

#1430 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Gary Carter died today.

#1431 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

I was seven and started getting into baseball when the Mets won the championship in 86. At that age the big athletes tend to be your favorites. I was a huge Gary Carter fan and it helped that my little league team was the Mets. I still have his starting lineup figure in storage. He was a great player and appeared to be a great man.

#1432 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:46 AM

Gary Carter died today.

I heard. Sad day for all mets fans and the world of baseball. RIP kid. May you slug homers in the heavens.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#1433 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Mariano Rivera hinted at retiring after this season. He's hinted at it before, though, so we'll see. Don't think anyone would blame him. Not much else left for him to do, other than pad his all-time saves lead.

#1434 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Mariano Rivera hinted at retiring after this season. He's hinted at it before, though, so we'll see. Don't think anyone would blame him. Not much else left for him to do, other than pad his all-time saves lead.

He doesn't have anything left to prove, so it's really all about the desire to play or not. He'll waltz into the hall of fame.

The game will miss him when he does hang 'em up though, he's my all-time favorite Yankee (and this is coming from a Sox fan).

33126.png

#1435 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...deal-oakland-as

Manny has signed with the A's for around $500k. Has to sit out the first 50 games.

#1436 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...deal-oakland-as

Manny has signed with the A's for around $500k. Has to sit out the first 50 games.

Good signing by them. If he's got anything left in the tank at all (which I think he probably does), that's a steal even with the suspension.

33126.png

#1437 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Damn, I LOVE that the Yankees found a way to get rid of AJ Burnett. Just the willingness to eat $18 million and admit a mistake rather than trade away a more valuable pitcher (many thought Hughes would end up getting the ticket out of town) says a lot. Couldn't be happier with the Yankees pitching staff right now. I really hope Joba comes back strong as well, as he finally seemed to have gotten past his starter/reliever/starter/reliever yo-yo last year. The hitting makes me nervous though with so many old bats and guys who don't hit with runners in scoring position. But the pitching should be pretty beastly.

#1438 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Damn, I LOVE that the Yankees found a way to get rid of AJ Burnett. Just the willingness to eat $18 million and admit a mistake rather than trade away a more valuable pitcher (many thought Hughes would end up getting the ticket out of town) says a lot. Couldn't be happier with the Yankees pitching staff right now. I really hope Joba comes back strong as well, as he finally seemed to have gotten past his starter/reliever/starter/reliever yo-yo last year. The hitting makes me nervous though with so many old bats and guys who don't hit with runners in scoring position. But the pitching should be pretty beastly.

The pitching staff has great potential but they still have to go out there and prove it. Run support should not be a problem. Especially with a healthy Arod( DHing should help). I agree that some of our key bats are getting old but we should be okay this year. Cano, Granderson, Gardner, Swisher, Martin and Teixiera are still relatively young. Opening day cannot come soon enough.

#1439 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Good signing by them. If he's got anything left in the tank at all (which I think he probably does), that's a steal even with the suspension.

Trying to decide if this is sarcasm or not. Manny went 1-17 with the Rays before he quit and the his BA was around .280 the year before. He has been declining the past few years and he's going to be 40 this year. He's a part time DH at best and a cancer to clubhouse at worst. IMO the As shouldn't bother taking the risk.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1440 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

This is the A's we are talking about. A team that gave way too much money to Coco Crisp. I do think it is a solid signing by them, though. Judging Manny by a 1-17 slump isn't fair to him. There are plent of players that start the season off on terrible slumps. Mike Young has done it before and he always bounces. Now, I'm not saying Manny is the Manny of old, but for 500k (plus incentives), it's not a bad deal for a team that needs a DH.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies