XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10733 replies to this topic

#451 DJP519

DJP519

Ready for a Vacation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

I know there have been a few exceptions, but the EA server shutdowns have MOSTLY been for sports games. Only a few non-sports games have had shutdowns. EA and Dice still have the servers running for the first Battlefield Bad Company, and (I think) for Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on 360, so I doubt they'll be shutting these down anytime soon, especially as long as the online community stays active. I wouldn't try to promise or guarantee anything, of course, but I'd guess we have quite some time left on this game. A couple years down the road, when the 360 is about to be replaced by an inevitable newer system, yeah, that's a different story, of course.

Edit: I should clarify to reflect that I'm only talking about the 360 server shutdowns. They've shut down a number of non-sports games for the PS2 and PSP, and of course all the original xbox games.

Edited by DJP519, 18 January 2011 - 02:51 AM.

#452 TeamUnderdog

TeamUnderdog

It's Not a Deal! It's a Steal!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:57 AM

Yes!! I was hoping Deathspank 1 and 2 would be on sale. Nice!

card.png
453976.png

#453 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:18 AM

MSUhitman has a really good review of all the Dragon Age DLC. Keep an eye out for it in the 4th post "What's in the DLC?". I'm sure reddjoey will update that post when the sale goes live.

Yep, working on it right now.
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#454 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:41 AM

I'm interested in Death Spank 1 & 2, but not sure I want to buy both now. If I don't love DS1, it's unlikely I'd play DS2, and then it would just be a waste of money. But at the same time, if I end up loving DS1 and didn't buy DS2 during this sale, then I'd feel like I'd missed an opportunity. Which leads me to possibility 3: I don't buy either and just play other stuff. Hmm.

Crunchewy.png

#455 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:48 AM

Okay. DLC post should be updated. MSUHitman didn't review Witch Hunt in the OG post. Before someone thinks about it: Please, please, please, don't bug him to do one. He did that out of his own kindness and I really appreciate him doing it and making the thread that much better. If he wants to add to it, he can chime in and do it on his own.
Posted Image

#456 Skoad

Skoad

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:52 AM

I'm interested in Death Spank 1 & 2, but not sure I want to buy both now. If I don't love DS1, it's unlikely I'd play DS2, and then it would just be a waste of money. But at the same time, if I end up loving DS1 and didn't buy DS2 during this sale, then I'd feel like I'd missed an opportunity. Which leads me to possibility 3: I don't buy either and just play other stuff. Hmm.

The games are about 10-15 hours, if you do end up getting the first, a week should be plenty time to find out if you love it or not. Don't forget there's couch co-op, which I didn't learn until playing Thongs of Virtue :(

#457 mozfan27

mozfan27

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

What time do these deals go live usually? Is it at 2am pacific like the arcade games? Thanks

#458 Pojomofo

Pojomofo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

If you dont have Risk Factions, it is GREAT, if you are or have ever been even remotely interested in Risk, this is an insta-buy at this price.

Thinking about picking up Death Spank

#459 chipper_95

chipper_95

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:01 AM

I know there have been a few exceptions, but the EA server shutdowns have MOSTLY been for sports games. Only a few non-sports games have had shutdowns. EA and Dice still have the servers running for the first Battlefield Bad Company, and (I think) for Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on 360, so I doubt they'll be shutting these down anytime soon, especially as long as the online community stays active. I wouldn't try to promise or guarantee anything, of course, but I'd guess we have quite some time left on this game. A couple years down the road, when the 360 is about to be replaced by an inevitable newer system, yeah, that's a different story, of course.

Edit: I should clarify to reflect that I'm only talking about the 360 server shutdowns. They've shut down a number of non-sports games for the PS2 and PSP, and of course all the original xbox games.

i also highly doubt they would shut off the servers for this game anytime soon. i mean isn't this game 100% online and without the servers you couldn't do anything right? meaning the game would lose all functionality.

#460 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:13 AM

I hope some of the BF stuff goes on sale on the PSN network. I have those games for that system.

I ended up buying the CoD 2 & 3 DLC. I always wanted it and as somebody mentioned earlier I can still play it offline if the community is dead.

#461 thefearsomefearful

thefearsomefearful

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

went in for assault heroes 1 and 2, have a soft spot for co-op shooters.
Gaming cheaply through delayed gratification.

#462 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:26 AM

What time do these deals go live usually? Is it at 2am pacific like the arcade games? Thanks

Hard to tell. It used to be 11am EST, but lately I have seen them closer to 8-9am EST.

TL;DR - No clue
Posted Image

#463 djbooba

djbooba

Superficial Hitman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

For anyone worried about the Battlefield 1943 servers, the soonest they would close the servers is early next year. If there is a community still playing, they won't. Simple as that.

#464 Metalic Sand

Metalic Sand

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:51 AM

MSUhitman has a really good review of all the Dragon Age DLC. Keep an eye out for it in the 4th post "What's in the DLC?". I'm sure reddjoey will update that post when the sale goes live.

Not much of a review as it doesn't say if the DLC was even good. Im trying to find out if its worth my time/MS points, Not what it is about as i pretty much knew this already. Im thinking something like, Must have or pass. Does it have new items and is it vital to the story.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Add me on LIVE to compare or challenge XBLA scores! https://www.dropbox....ls/NTUzNzI3OTg5

#465 Foladar

Foladar

Forum Guide: Contests/ Free Stuff

• Forum Moderator

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:59 AM

Had no intention on buying anything this week, but got Assault Heroes just now since it wasn't bad, and it's just 200 points. Saving the rest of my points for Torchlight and Deathspank: ToV though.

#466 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:04 AM

For anyone worried about the Battlefield 1943 servers, the soonest they would close the servers is early next year. If there is a community still playing, they won't. Simple as that.

What he said. Basically BF1943 has been a runaway hit, much to the shagrin of DICE/EA which didn't think it would take off like it has. If you're still seeing a healthy number of opponents each night, then they won't pull it down. With sports games, all the devoted players are keeping up year-after-year, so there's little benefit to EA to keep the old stuff running. Otherwise, for non-sports games, they're probably just a flash in the pan, like Mercenaries 2 or LOTR:Conquest. And then there's LOTR:BFME2 which kept going for 4 1/2 strong years until EA simply lost the license over to Warner Bros. Yes, it stinks that games get dropped, but the popular ones will keep going until EA is forced to drop them out of other issues.

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#467 emg28

emg28

esteeohpee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:21 AM

Not much of a review as it doesn't say if the DLC was even good. Im trying to find out if its worth my time/MS points, Not what it is about as i pretty much knew this already. Im thinking something like, Must have or pass. Does it have new items and is it vital to the story.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Did you click on the link in the 4th post? The info you are looking for is there.

#468 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:24 AM

Hell, Battlefied 2: Modern Combat servers are still up and that game is over 5 years old. I'm surprised a lot of people still play it. I like popping it in every now in then. I hope the servers are still up though, it has been 6+ months since I've played.

#469 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

In case people avoid the OP

Dragon Age: Origins DLC:

Micro-Review by CAG MSUHitman

Edited by reddjoey, 18 January 2011 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image

#470 Metalic Sand

Metalic Sand

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

Ughhh i totally did not notice the link. :(

Reading them now.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Add me on LIVE to compare or challenge XBLA scores! https://www.dropbox....ls/NTUzNzI3OTg5

#471 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

In case people avoid the OP

Dragon Age: Origins DLC:

Micro-Review by CAG MSUHitman

Updated:

Spoiler

Edited by MSUHitman, 18 January 2011 - 10:48 AM.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#472 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

Okay. DLC post should be updated. MSUHitman didn't review Witch Hunt in the OG post. Before someone thinks about it: Please, please, please, don't bug him to do one. He did that out of his own kindness and I really appreciate him doing it and making the thread that much better. If he wants to add to it, he can chime in and do it on his own.

Only reason Witch Hunt wasn't in the original post was it hadn't been released when I first typed that. As you can see above I have updated that post as I have played Witch Hunt and Darkspawn Chronicles now. Witch Hunt did leave a bad taste in my mouth as while the Mass Effect universe DLC has steadily improved (only bad/disappointing one being Pinnacle Station from ME 1), the post-release DA DLC has been pretty disappointing outside of Awakening and Leiliana. Don't blame me if the choice at the end of Witch Hunt doesn't affect DA the same way choices in ME 1 affected ME 2, I'm just stating what Bioware has said.

What he said. Basically BF1943 has been a runaway hit, much to the shagrin of DICE/EA which didn't think it would take off like it has. If you're still seeing a healthy number of opponents each night, then they won't pull it down. With sports games, all the devoted players are keeping up year-after-year, so there's little benefit to EA to keep the old stuff running. Otherwise, for non-sports games, they're probably just a flash in the pan, like Mercenaries 2 or LOTR:Conquest. And then there's LOTR:BFME2 which kept going for 4 1/2 strong years until EA simply lost the license over to Warner Bros. Yes, it stinks that games get dropped, but the popular ones will keep going until EA is forced to drop them out of other issues.

Yeah I just jumped on Sunday night primetime as I was bored and didn't want to get up to change disks and had no problems getting into a game. Given that the hardest achievements in that game is the playing 100 matches and getting a kill in your lifetime in a jeep, tank, and airplane (which using the bombing run counts as that's how I filled the flying obligation Sunday night) it's an XBLA game that isn't too hard to get 200/200 on if you're competent at FPS.

Given that EA is giving this away with every copy of BFBC 2 Ultimate (the only new version being printed now) I doubt this game will go anywhere for now. The earliest I see it being dropped is 2012 depending on how many people leave once BF 3 comes out.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#473 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

Only reason Witch Hunt wasn't in the original post was it hadn't been released when I first typed that. As you can see above I have updated that post as I have played Witch Hunt and Darkspawn Chronicles now. Witch Hunt did leave a bad taste in my mouth as while the Mass Effect universe DLC has steadily improved (only bad/disappointing one being Pinnacle Station from ME 1), the post-release DA DLC has been pretty disappointing outside of Awakening and Leiliana. Don't blame me if the choice at the end of Witch Hunt doesn't affect DA the same way choices in ME 1 affected ME 2, I'm just stating what Bioware has said.

I know that when you wrote that, it only covered the DLC out. Sorry if anyone was confused. I updated the OP and my link as soon as I noticed you updated your reviews.

I have spent 10 minutes in DA:O, so I appreciate someone who spent the time with it sharing their experience. I only mentioned to leave you alone, because I didn't want posts of "OMG!! wut abt witch hunt??" and then you getting nasty PMs, despite adding something to the thread. :D
Posted Image

#474 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

I know that when you wrote that, it only covered the DLC out. Sorry if anyone was confused. I updated the OP and my link as soon as I noticed you updated your reviews.

I have spent 10 minutes in DA:O, so I appreciate someone who spent the time with it sharing their experience. I only mentioned to leave you alone, because I didn't want posts of "OMG!! wut abt witch hunt??" and then you getting nasty PMs, despite adding something to the thread. :D

No problem. Thanks for letting me know about the EA sale having the DA DLC, I needed to update that post anyway.

42869.png

#475 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

Rock Band DLC not on sale anymore

#476 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Looks like prices are already starting to go live online.... both Deathspanks are up for 600.
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#477 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Rock Band DLC not on sale anymore

And Offspring still hasn't gone on sale. Those bitches for lying about it getting fixed. :bomb:

#478 emg28

emg28

esteeohpee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Just purchased both DeathSpank games. I'm down to 60 msp after I bought those along with PvZ and both Assault Heroes games yesterday.

I'm debating buying Microbot. I tried the demo out and the pace is much slower when compared to Assault Heroes. The ship is a bit hard to control and the weapons are toned down but the game is just fascinating to me. I should be stocking up on points soon (buying them on the cheap with Kmart coupon/RZ certificates) so I'll see. Here's to ever-growing XBLA backlogs.

#479 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Bought both DeathSpanks. I've been waiting for them to go on sale for a while.

DarkZion9.png

so I decided to see what I could do with it and I got to the end but there's no way I can finish him off. 

#480 prayformojo

prayformojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

BF 1943 still active? Can you get in full matches?