Photo
- - - - -

Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2421 replies to this topic

Poll: What types of pics would you like to see in this thread? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

What types of pics would you like to see in this thread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I would like to add I am addicted to the show "Storage Wars" about storage space auctions. I wanted to get into those, but now everyone will be there.

Back to your original post . . . this show will great for the storage auction business but not for the people who have been doing this stuff for years. There will so many newbies driving up prices for the next 2 years.

#32 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

If you want examples of the improbable, what are the odds that someone will leave behind a $4000 coin collection in a storage locker???

The only way I can explain is the person either died or couldn't get a loan from friends, family, or a financial institution. If I had something in storage of value I would definitely find somone to borrow the money from, especially if it is cost effective to do so.

#33 pjarvi

pjarvi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

Storage Wars is fake according to the Internet (shiver), just like Operation Repo and many others.

#34 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:41 AM

Went to a big indoor yard sale today in Cape Girardeau.

Snagged a ziploc bag filled with Atari games (14) for $5. Don't have an Atari, but plan on making some cool wall art out of them. Had duplicates of Frogger and Donkey Kong plus an unlabeled one. Condition is fair mostly.

Saw lots of gaming stuff but nothing I had to own at the prices they were asking.

#35 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Wtf is up with everyone garage saleing all of a sudden, maybe it's our high unemployment rate. The sales around here are getting loaded.

Found mega man 8 $1 - overpaid - disc only and scratched to shit.

#36 darkslime

darkslime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Yard sale / pawn shop finds:

Pikmin no manual
Animal Crossing no manual
$3 total

PS2 slim w/ cords, controllers, 7 crappy games - $8

Buffy Chaos Bleeds Xbox - $5
Left 4 Dead 2 disc only - $5

Beyond Good and Evil PC CIB - $3.5
Red Dead Revolver Xbox disc only - $2.5

#37 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

I sense I will be posting here a lot. I didn't get much last year (mostly books and a Sega Genesis) but I'm definitely doing a lot more this year.

Edited by ROB64, 07 February 2011 - 03:20 AM.

Posted Image

#38 phishhead220

phishhead220

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

I'm not a huge collector but I got Final Fantasy VII at a garage sale for $5. I felt pretty happy about that.

#39 bunnybum

bunnybum

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

So, today was PC bigbox bonanza for me :-P
I've posted the complete haul with pictures and a list of the stuff here, but for now I'll just leave you with this picture...

Posted Image

#40 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:16 AM

I've posted the complete haul with pictures and a list of the stuff here, but for now I'll just leave you with this picture...

Posted Image

Nice finds in there, seems like Planescape and Blood are just the beginning :bouncy:
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#41 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:43 AM

Posted Image

That PC box is full of win. Awesome pickup.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#42 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

My only great yard sale find was 2 huge boxes of NES games, over 350 of them that I picked up for just under $100. I'll definitely be going more this year.

#43 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

If you guys think anything needs to be added to the OP LMK. I saved the second slot...Maybe we could do a find of the week that everyone can vote on?

#44 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:42 AM

Yard Sales are in a deep freeze now, but I had one good find out in the Thrift Store world. A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Boardgame (sealed) by Milton Bradley. I paid $6.36 and sold it for $80 :D Cleared about $50 profit when all was said and done.

Now the only trick is not sinking that money into more collectibles!

#45 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:00 AM

Hit up a big indoor sale today at the Belleville, IL Fairgrounds. Saw quite a few games for most of the big systems, but the prices were average. $15-$25 for 360 games isn't a bargain.

Grabbed some random non-gaming stuff:
Blade Runner comic book adaptation (Marvel) $1
Silverware set $8 (very plain but thick and well made, wife wanted)
Kodak Instamatic in the box $1
Kodak Baby Brownie Special $5
Owl Trivet $1

Not bad for driving by and stopping on a whim.

#46 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

I haven't posted my finds in a while, since most of what I've been finding has been the usual fare: a few uncommon titles here or there, but nothing amazing -- mostly just filling in gaps in my collection. The last three weeks, however, have been absolutely on-fire for me when it comes to deals and interesting titles.

In fact, in 14 years of collecting old games, there is one particular game which I have always kept an eye out for, but never found. That ended on Sunday...

Posted Image
N64 Beast Wars
N64 Rakugakids (EUR)
SNES Clay Fighter CE, $9 for all
N64 Spider-Man, $1.50

Posted Image
Gameshark Guide, FREE
PS Jade Cocoon (complete), $3

Posted Image
DVD Tron 2-Disc Collector's Edition, $4
BD Fringe, The Complete First Season, $7
CD KMFDM - NAIVE (original Wax Trax version), $1

I just about jumped outta my skin when I saw Fringe. The guy selling it wanted $8 originally, but I asked if he'd take six. He said no, but met me in the middle at $7. I've been looking for this version of Naive for a few years, since it's the only one with the unedited version of Liebeslied. The insert is torn, and the disc has some light wear, but I'm still pleased as punch to find it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
NES Donkey Kong 3, Final Fantasy, Win, Lose or Draw, Deja Vu, Werewolf, Ghostbusters, Incredible Crash Test Dummies, Jordan vs. Bird, Totally Rad, Elevator Action, Days of Thunder, Mega Man, $10 for all

Most of these are kinda banged up, but they're all new to my collection, save for Mega Man and Final Fantasy. They were originally a dollar each, but I asked for a better price if I bought a bunch.

Posted Image
Chia Homer planter (new), $1
Rubik's Clock, $2

Posted Image
Pokemon Red Version strategy guide
Pokemon Special Edition guide
Final Fantasy Tactics, FREE

The folks at this sale were putting things away when I arrived -- the same sale where I got the Chia Homer from. They said I could have these. Sadly, the FFT guide is completely loose; the binding is gone. However, it seems to have all its pages, so I'll probably just sort them, square them up and put them in an envelope. At least it was free!

Posted Image
DC Resident Evil, Code: Veronica
DC Dino Crisis
DC Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
DC Crazy Taxi 2, all complete, $16 for all
PS Theme Park (complete), $2
PS Final Fantasy Tactics (Greatest Hits, new & sealed), $4

While FFT is sealed, it has a hole punched through the upper left corner. Still cool to find it sealed, though.

Posted Image
SNES Toy Story
SNES We're Back!: A Dinosaur's Story, $3 for both
N64 GameShark v3.3, $1
32X Cosmic Carnage, $1

Posted Image
SNES Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
SNES Final Fantasy III, $6 for both
SNES Earthbound
XB Conker: Live and Reloaded (complete), $40 for both

Anyway, here it is. One of a select few games I've been seeking locally for over a decade. I've been refusing to pay the Ebay price which has sadly been steadily climbing for a while now. I caved in a couple times and tried to trade handsomely for a copy, but to no avail. Well, it seems my patience has paid off. I paid more than I wanted to, but I think it'll be a while before I find another copy, and I already have Conker, so I bought that to hopefully offset the cost a little.

FFIII and LttP are both dupes, and they're my second copy of each that I've found in the last six weeks.

I played Earthbound for about an hour and I really like it. I haven't played enough to decide if it's worth freaking out over yet (beyond finding the darn thing), but the humor in the game thus far is clever, and it feels pretty current. The art style is great! I'll definitely be playing it more today. Anyway, I'm delighted to be able to cross this title off my list of sought-after games, which is becoming pretty short now.
Being cheap doesn't mean you have to be a liar and a thief. Have some respect for yourself.

#47 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

allyourblood has never played Earthbound? It's a solid RPG, my favorite part though is being able to travel to all the different (wacky) locations by bus in a modern setting. Next you should look for the strategy guide (it's big 'n' green).

#48 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

allyourblood has never played Earthbound? It's a solid RPG, my favorite part though is being able to travel to all the different (wacky) locations by bus in a modern setting. Next you should look for the strategy guide (it's big 'n' green).

I've never had the actual cartridge to try it, and I can't get into emulation very much; for some reason, I can't bring myself to play through ROMs. And you can bet I've had my eyes peeled for the guide along with the game itself. Considering how long it took for this to appear before me, I'm not holding out much hope for finding the guide, but you never know!
Being cheap doesn't mean you have to be a liar and a thief. Have some respect for yourself.

#49 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've never had the actual cartridge to try it, and I can't get into emulation very much; for some reason, I can't bring myself to play through ROMs. And you can bet I've had my eyes peeled for the guide along with the game itself. Considering how long it took for this to appear before me, I'm not holding out much hope for finding the guide, but you never know!

I can't remember if the guide came in the big box or through some Nintendo Power deal, but it's always good to ask about guides even when they're not anywhere in sight. Everybody forgets about guides; not long ago I picked up an Official Final Fantasy 3 SNES guide, a Baldur's Gate 2 Perfect Guide, plus a stack of eight other good ones for $26. Pricewise that was the exception too, usually the going rate in my area is $1 or less :)

#50 Chairman_LMAO

Chairman_LMAO

The Talent

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

I've never had the actual cartridge to try it, and I can't get into emulation very much; for some reason, I can't bring myself to play through ROMs.

I'm the exact same way. If I've got a rom, I can't seem to play it for more than an hour at the most. Many of them I'll play for five minutes before trashing it. But, if I've got an actual cartridge in my actual system, I'll play it for way longer.

#51 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

I'm the exact same way. If I've got a rom, I can't seem to play it for more than an hour at the most. Many of them I'll play for five minutes before trashing it. But, if I've got an actual cartridge in my actual system, I'll play it for way longer.

I'm also the same way. Although, I've been considering making a tabletop emulation station similar to this one so it doesn't feel as awkward as using an Xbox 360 controller on my PC.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#52 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:48 AM

While the modern setting is cool, I found it to have one of the most boring battle systems in RPG history. I spent about five hours with the game and in that whole span I never got another party member. Every single battle went something like:

Bash - Bash - Bash - PSI Power - Bash - Bash - Bash - PSI Power (now I'm out of PP because you're not given very much at all) - Bash - Bash - Bash - Bash - Bash - Win.

There wasn't really anything tactical at all. Totally bored the crap out of me and made me realize that I should probably skip any RPG that offers a "Auto" option in battle. The modern setting doesn't really lend much to battles either - yeah it's cool that my weapon is a baseball bat, but without animations that baseball bat might as well be a sword.

I don't know, I really like parts of the game, but I loathe the battle system.

#53 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:26 AM

I can't remember if the guide came in the big box

It did and assuming the store I bought it from wasen't charging over retail (I doubt it) it retailed for 59.99.
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#54 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

It did and assuming the store I bought it from wasen't charging over retail (I doubt it) it retailed for 59.99.

No, in fact, for the time, Earthbound was released at a discounted price. That type of game with the guide and packaging it came in, would typically have sold for closer to $79.99 or more, but Nintendo apparently decided to lower the price to make the game more accessible.

#55 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

No, in fact, for the time, Earthbound was released at a discounted price. That type of game with the guide and packaging it came in, would typically have sold for closer to $79.99 or more, but Nintendo apparently decided to lower the price to make the game more accessible.

I think it also had to do with the cost of making cart games being cheaper for Nintendo vs 3rd party publishers & it would also make more sense to not try and push the retail price of Earthbound since it wasen't a known and liked series in the US when it came out. I don't remember any other SNES games off hand that came with a guide like Earthbound but I do remember other games being really expensive new that I got years ago.

Knight of The Round (EBgames, 64.99 I'd guess over retail)
Street Fighter II (EBgames, 79.99 Surely over retail)
Final Fantasy III (EBgames, 79.99 Surely over retail)
Other RPGs 69.99 (over retail? I don't remember but probably not)

While I remember getting A Link To The Past at EBgames for 54.99 and I'm guessing it was $5 over retail. I would agree that buying an RPG like Earthbound for $59.99 was priced cheap compared to other RPGs at the time and if it was sold in a regular box with a manual I would guess that it would have been 49.99.

I passed on Beyond The Beyond on the Playstation when it came out but was waiting for Suikoden since it was the first RPG I was interested in playing on the Playstation and bought it when I first saw it at Circuit City for 42.99 and that felt like a cheap ass deal back then after being weened on RPGs being $70 a pop on the SNES or Phantasy Star IV (Not including Mystic Quest).
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#56 zlatour

zlatour

Shredaholic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:41 AM

I would agree that buying an RPG like Earthbound for $59.99 was priced cheap compared to other RPGs at the time and if it was sold in a regular box with a manual I would guess that it would have been 49.99.

I'm pretty sure Secret of Mana came out at $129.99; not 100% though

#57 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

I don't remember any other SNES games off hand that came with a guide like Earthbound but I do remember other games being really expensive new that I got years ago.

Yeah, the guide was included in order to keep the US audience from becoming frustrated at the game. Nintendo felt they couldn't release it without it and still appeal to a wider audience than the average RPG at the time.

#58 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:41 AM

While the modern setting is cool, I found it to have one of the most boring battle systems in RPG history. I spent about five hours with the game and in that whole span I never got another party member. Every single battle went something like:

Bash - Bash - Bash - PSI Power - Bash - Bash - Bash - PSI Power (now I'm out of PP because you're not given very much at all) - Bash - Bash - Bash - Bash - Bash - Win.

There wasn't really anything tactical at all. Totally bored the crap out of me and made me realize that I should probably skip any RPG that offers a "Auto" option in battle. The modern setting doesn't really lend much to battles either - yeah it's cool that my weapon is a baseball bat, but without animations that baseball bat might as well be a sword.

I don't know, I really like parts of the game, but I loathe the battle system.

Aww, see there you didn't give it a chance. I would be the equivalent of me playing a Dragon Warrior game and quitting because the blue slimes were too monotonous. The strategy comes into play when you start running into the higher level enemies that are designed to kill you (for instance the first Persona had an auto-battle system but it wasn't something to rely upon when going against enemies with light and dark insta-death spells).

Anyhow, Earthbound is really at its best when you have a full party with a wider combat selection (bottlerockets!) and the times you're trying to live in battles against subterranean dinosaurs with your limited supply of magical pudding.

#59 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:49 AM

I think it also had to do with the cost of making cart games being cheaper for Nintendo vs 3rd party publishers & it would also make more sense to not try and push the retail price of Earthbound since it wasen't a known and liked series in the US when it came out. I don't remember any other SNES games off hand that came with a guide like Earthbound but I do remember other games being really expensive new that I got years ago.

Knight of The Round (EBgames, 64.99 I'd guess over retail)
Street Fighter II (EBgames, 79.99 Surely over retail)
Final Fantasy III (EBgames, 79.99 Surely over retail)
Other RPGs 69.99 (over retail? I don't remember but probably not)

While I remember getting A Link To The Past at EBgames for 54.99 and I'm guessing it was $5 over retail. I would agree that buying an RPG like Earthbound for $59.99 was priced cheap compared to other RPGs at the time and if it was sold in a regular box with a manual I would guess that it would have been 49.99.

I passed on Beyond The Beyond on the Playstation when it came out but was waiting for Suikoden since it was the first RPG I was interested in playing on the Playstation and bought it when I first saw it at Circuit City for 42.99 and that felt like a cheap ass deal back then after being weened on RPGs being $70 a pop on the SNES or Phantasy Star IV (Not including Mystic Quest).

I remember getting Robotrek SNES as a birthday present from Toys R Us. The price? $80. It's really amazing that new videogames have become more affordable since then (many in the $30-50 range) considering the effects of inflation and all. An older friend of mine remembers the days of Atari and Intellivision when a lot of people on minimum wage would be hard-pressed to buy even a single game, much less the system and everything to go with it.

#60 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:12 AM

Aww, see there you didn't give it a chance. I would be the equivalent of me playing a Dragon Warrior game and quitting because the blue slimes were too monotonous. The strategy comes into play when you start running into the higher level enemies that are designed to kill you (for instance the first Persona had an auto-battle system but it wasn't something to rely upon when going against enemies with light and dark insta-death spells).

Anyhow, Earthbound is really at its best when you have a full party with a wider combat selection (bottlerockets!) and the times you're trying to live in battles against subterranean dinosaurs with your limited supply of magical pudding.

A game should be compelling and fun from the get-go. It's bad design to make a player work to get to the fun. Like I said, I didn't hate the game, I played it for five hours and I really tried to get to a point where the battle system would become fun, it never did. I'm pretty sure I was close to getting another party member (Paula, right?), but I just couldn't push myself to get there. Its the same reason I don't play MMOs, everyone always talks about how great it is when you get to the highest level... it should be fun from the start. End of story.

I think the charm of the setting is what kept me for those five hours, and the entire reason I still want to go back.