Photo
- - - - -

Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2421 replies to this topic

Poll: What types of pics would you like to see in this thread? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

What types of pics would you like to see in this thread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1261 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:44 AM

Another game free week.

Left work this morning at 8am (worked the overnight) and headed 5 sales. Nothing buy junk at each one. I did notice though that there was a good yardsale later on starting at noon. So I went home to a nap for a 2 hrs and got up and headed over to that one.

I picked up a ton of books though. Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Japanese history, manga, etc. Guy is moving to Tokyo beginning of August.

Books were mostly all a dollar each except for a few big hardcover collection (HP Lovecraft, etc.) which were two dollars. I also got a Bub (from Bubble Bobble peg display toy)

I spent more than I probably should have, but I think I got a lot of cool stuff.

Manga/Comic wise I got the entire Chrono Crusade, Steam Detectives, FLCL, Metropolis and some Sinfest books.

Even though the manga and comics are worth very little I will plan on bringing it with me to the Anime Con is April. I imagine I should be able to trade a full series for some different full series, or maybe a few DVDs or some other random stuff.

Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, ficiton, japanese etc - some good ones were HP Lovecraft, stuff by Gene Wolfe (replacing by New Sun books that somebody lost), all the Three Kingdom Books, excerpts from Journey to the West, a book on Medieval Combat and a bunch of other stuff.

He said he might have another yardsale if stuff doesn't sell - so I may go back next week and pick up any more books that look interesting. There is probably no re-sell value to any of this stuff (for the most part) but a lot of entertainment value.

Only some friends, myself and one old Russian couple came by during the whole hour I was there after it opened. The Russians left empty handed when he wouldn't budge on some stuff they wanted. I was kind of surprised they were there anyways - asking about jewlery, old watches, etc.

Some stuff that he had that I wasn't into was a bunch of table top RPG books and LARP outfits. Not my stuff for the most part.

Edited by Dokstarr, 18 July 2011 - 05:08 AM.

#1262 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

That was some great anime you found Dokstarr. I bought everything in the next 2 pics for $20...

Posted Image

The guy let me get all of the clear N64 and SNES cases for an extra $5.

Posted Image

The only thing I bought that I didn't take pics of is a stack of 15 xbox 360 games I purchased for $17. I sold them since my 360 red ringed and I have no plans on buying a new one. I'm happy to finally have Earthbound for cheap without having to pay astronomical prices. Oddly I was more excited for DKC Returns than Earthbound, lol. I already beat Earthbound four times though, so that's probably why.

Edited by alexkidd4, 18 July 2011 - 01:33 PM.

#1263 Floopy

Floopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

That was some great anime you found Dokstarr. This is what I got this weekend...

I can't make out all of the SNES titles, but nice find on the Earthbound. Paper Mario is also fairly rare in the wild as well. Nice week for you!

#1264 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

Here are my pitiful N64s:

Posted Image
Jungle Green with JG controller . . . $15

Posted Image
With expansion Pak . . . $5

Might've skipped buying a third. But this was a sale where I asked for games and the woman said . . . "don't have any" but the teen said "we have an N63." Plus the games were a little better:
Posted Image
When she bring it out, I say how about $10 but she was thinking $30 . . . so we met at $20.

Why so many N64s these days? Must be about the right time in console lifetime . . . or period since death :-)

#1265 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

I can't make out all of the SNES titles, but nice find on the Earthbound. Paper Mario is also fairly rare in the wild as well. Nice week for you!

Super nice week!

looks like:
Megaman Soccer
Raiden Trad
Demon's crest
Brainlord

#1266 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

Sorry about that. Forgot I was on the camera phone. The other titles aside from Earthbound are...

Brain Lord
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow
Mega Man Soccer
Demon's Crest
Raiden Trad

#1267 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

Super nice week!

looks like:
Megaman Soccer
Raiden Trad
Demon's crest
Brainlord

Wow your pretty good.

#1268 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Wow your pretty good.

Yeah, if only I could find that group in the wild :-)

I intentionally skipped the duck game . . . that's the title I'm most likely to find :-(

#1269 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

This will be a short one.

$1 each

Spoiler

$3 total. wanted to play Chaos Legion and didn't want to open my sealed copy (plus it is minty).

Spoiler

50 cents each

Spoiler

Robot man VHS is sealed. I will probably list it at a ridiculous price since there aren't any others on amazon.
Spoiler

EDIT: Whoops missed one: 10 cents each. Bart simpson singing xmas doll.

Spoiler

#1270 baz8771

baz8771

Don't CML

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

Might be a bit of an odd question....

How do you guys plan out your trips? Is there a website that gives you a map of your area that you can place pins on when you see them on craigslist, or something like that? I just have a hard time keeping myself from running around and I end up going across town and back without even noticing.

#1271 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

A few more things (I've missed some but whatever)

Posted Image
$5 for the group

This was my gaming find of the week:
Posted Image
Marked $5 each, I cherry picked and offered $10 for all four . . . rejected but we settled on $15.

This is my non-gaming surprise of the week: was marked $5 but I paid $3
Posted Image
Listed on Amazon (its sealed) for $80 . . . thinking that maybe someone will bite around the holidays . . . instead it was gone within hours. I guess this is prized for the minatures:
Posted Image
This is likely a fail on my part because if it sold within hours now, it would probably command much more in early Dec. Oh well.

#1272 dasme313

dasme313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

Wow I seriously envy some of the other posters' finds! It's been over a month since I've seen any good video game stuff at yard sale! Nice finds everyone! My biggest thing recently was a Victor Talking Machine VV IX for $20, still plays records fine and looks good too.

#1273 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, if only I could find that group in the wild :-)

I intentionally skipped the duck game . . . that's the title I'm most likely to find :-(

lol Cold Shadow is a fun game. Imagine Darkwing Duck's ninja alter-ego. I loved it as a kid and this is my 1st time finding it.

#1274 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

This was my gaming find of the week:
Posted Image
Marked $5 each, I cherry picked and offered $10 for all four . . . rejected but we settled on $15.

Conkers goes for about $40 complete. I found my 3rd copy a couple weeks ago for $5. For those four games you lucked out at $15. You could get around $40 for the two Star Wars games I think. good find

#1275 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

lol Cold Shadow is a fun game. Imagine Darkwing Duck's ninja alter-ego. I loved it as a kid and this is my 1st time finding it.

In my book, intrinsic value trumps market value. One of my favorite finds last year was a wheelbarrow for $5. It is a little rusty but does the job and I was desperately seeking one and didn't want to pay $50 new.

My last complete pair of KOTORs (black label with great discs) sold for $24 (I) and $38 (II) on Amazon.

#1276 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

Thursday's forecast 99 degrees. Thursday is when I find my best stuff. Hopefully my competition will take the day off. ;)

#1277 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thursday's forecast 99 degrees. Thursday is when I find my best stuff. Hopefully my competition will take the day off. ;)

Do you really find a lot of stuff on Thursday? I've never even seen a sale advertised on a Thursday.

#1278 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Unfortunately, Slow the heat might keep away the sellers.

I'm guessing he has a large suburban range.

I'm doing OK on Thurs. but I'm likely to only find about 10 sales . . . Fri is probably my best day when I hit more like 30 sales . . . Sat. will often turn up something like 15-20 fresh sales.

#1279 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

Do you really find a lot of stuff on Thursday? I've never even seen a sale advertised on a Thursday.

It varies by region, but in my neighborhood Thursday has been the standard for at least 25 years. It works out for me because there are less people hitting them (probably at work) so it allows me to get form sale to sale with a better chance of finding something.

Unfortunately, Slow the heat might keep away the sellers.

I'm guessing he has a large suburban range.

I'm doing OK on Thurs. but I'm likely to only find about 10 sales . . . Fri is probably my best day when I hit more like 30 sales . . . Sat. will often turn up something like 15-20 fresh sales.

Thursday I pretty much only hit my hometown (which is pretty large) unless there is something I want at a nearby area. Friday typically has less new sales, so sometimes I venture to the next town. There is a nearby town where basically 90% of the sales start Saturday, but I am usually done for the weekend on Friday. 8-)

Thursday, I think I average 16-25 (I hit most or all of them), Friday there are usually 7-12 new ones and Saturday/Sunday there are usually 1 or 2 new sales. I am usually done for the day by noon. If I had a scanner it would be more like 2PM probably, because I see a lot of CDs.

#1280 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

Post 1

Here is post 2 of 4 (I thought I only had 3 this week). :dunce:

Earthworm Jim VHS, Gargoyles, Aladdin puzzle/little golden book (SEALED)
.25 each

Spoiler

Pokemon cards, Cinderella VHS (SEALED, going on amazon), Penguin DVD (SEALED) $1 total

Spoiler

Transformers toys and Star Wars Han Solo Stormtrooper $1 total

Spoiler

Misc Video games $1 each

Spoiler

More video games $1 each and Grey's Anatomy Season 1 (SEALED) also $1

Spoiler

Misc Toys Ultimate Warrior, Skeletor, Scare Glow (this is a good one, even though he is missing his accessories) $1 total

Spoiler

More to come! :bouncy:

#1281 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:45 AM

Might be a bit of an odd question....

How do you guys plan out your trips? Is there a website that gives you a map of your area that you can place pins on when you see them on craigslist, or something like that? I just have a hard time keeping myself from running around and I end up going across town and back without even noticing.

We use mostly the newspaper. Ads here are expensive though so it pays to drive around a bit and look for unadvertised sales (follow the signs). Try to find a few sales in the same area and usually you will find more than you bargained for. We probably find 2-5 unadvertised sales per week at least. The unadvertised sales will most always have lower prices than an advertised sale. As far as neighborhoods you pretty much have to know the streets, where they are or have a GPS unit though I am not sure how helpful that would be, you would probably have to program it with a very specific route before you leave the house.

There is an app for iPod touch/iphone/iPad called garage sale rover that has pins on it I assume it takes the data from craigslist but it will not show ads that were advertised in your local paper or unadvertised sales.

#1282 Floopy

Floopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:53 AM

I tend to compile a "Top 10" list of sales that I would like to hit (I know the rough area of where each one is beforehand though, so I mentally plan my route). Then I hit random sales on the way between each sale on my top 10. I have found pretty good results this way, as hitting advertised sales past 10am or so generally yields very little. After that, its all random sales for me, just about. You'd be surprised what you can find just driving around town!

#1283 baz8771

baz8771

Don't CML

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Do the people who read this thread ever have dreams about finding that crazy yard sale, the one that you find games for all systems at 50 cents each? I have one normally once a week. And it's not like PS3 games in a bucket for a quarter a piece, it's realistic. Last night I had one where I filled a 15 gallon rubbermaid tub with SNES and N64 games at 50 cents a piece, then I ended up finding a box for donkey kong country and an N64 with an expansion pack.

It's just funny that I have very lucid dreams about it and wonder if im the only one :P

#1284 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

Except if you live here everyone is just setting up at 10am, I went out last week before 10am because it was really hot and at one sale they just started to set up. A few were fully set up but you could see that they just started.

The only thing that kills it is hitting a 2 day sale on the second day, unless you can get there on the first day. If you want to hit a 2 day sale on the second day you should save those for last and then hit the ones that just started on the day you are going first.

#1285 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

Do the people who read this thread ever have dreams

I don't think I've had dreams about rummage (but I will now). I do have day dreams like you are talking about. Maybe I'll find a sale . . .

For me, it wouldn't have to be super cheap games but rather super games at good prices.

About the route and planning. I agree that the best thing is to have an agenda with some priority sales and then roll with it after that finding the weird little sale here or there.

Sara makes a good point that some of the slackers don't set up early so you have to keep rolling and stay on major streets as much as possible. The positive about a second day is that people might be more flexible on prices. I wonder if when you see the PSP system for $80 . . . maybe you could get it for $40 (or less) later on the second day.

Overall, I get some of my best stuff at the unadvertised sales and also the poorly advertised. It seems when I sale looks really good in an ad, it is either, so-so in reality or hit hard and early by others.

Here's an example from last Aug of just stopping at every sale you can find (page 64 of the 2010 thread) this was a small sale later in the day and I'm willing to bet that it didn't start until after 10:

"I was done and wanting to head home. I followed one crappy little sign to this sale in a poor neighborhood. I spot this bin of games and see a handwritten sign that says .50 each. I pulled out this group:
Posted Image
So, I'm thinking is it really 5.00 per game? But these 2 kids (12 or 13) were hot to sell them for .50 each. There was a chainsmoking mom nearby . . . she didn't object. I decided not to ask any questions. As I paid ($7.50), I saw this group of 5 games duct taped together and offered $5 for them. I think that one kid was a neighbor.
Posted Image
NBA Courtside (not pictured) had no disc, so I paid $4 for these GC titles."

Edited by schultzed, 20 July 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#1286 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:33 AM

Post 1
Post 2

I've been holding back. On to the good stuff...

RISK 2210 and TMNT Technodrome Scout Vehicle $2 total

Spoiler

Comics $1 each. 1st appearance of Hellboy (:whee:), old Thor books, John Byrne Marvel Team up, etc. All of them are pseudo keys or keys.

Spoiler

Pokemon and Namor Toys SEALED $1 total

Spoiler

Trivial Pursuit 80s and Ken Burns Jazz DVD set both SEALED $11 total

Spoiler

PS2 and Gamecube lot. $20 total (Rent and Across the universe both SEALED).

Short story. I have never seen this many attractive people at one sale. The Mom and 3 daughters were all pretty. I asked about videogames and at first they said they didn't have any, but when I talked to them more they said they may have some individual games to sell. They came out with the PS2 and games. The PS2 is missing the power cord, but they have my number in case they find it. One of the daughters said, we also have some junky gamecube games and brought out the ones in the picture...

Spoiler

One more post to go. My final post will be dedicated to my find of the week. Here is a sneak peek.
Spoiler

:bouncy:

#1287 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:07 AM

Last weekend's finds:

Posted Image
NES The Little Mermaid (complete), $2
NES Max controller, $1
PSX Blazing Dragons (complete), $2
PSX Herc's Adventures (disc only), $1

Posted Image
XB360 Fallout New Vegas (missing manual)
XBOX Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (complete), $10 for both

Posted Image
NES Metroid, Pinball Quest, Super Mario Bros., 75ยข for all
NES Castlevania, Kid Niki, $1.50 for both

Posted Image
XBOX Steel Battalion (complete) with controller/pedals, $12

Posted Image
Neo Geo Pocket Color (missing AA battery cover)
NGPC Bust-A-Move Pocket, $2 for both

Posted Image
XB360 Smash Court Tennis 3 (new & sealed)
XB360 MLB 2K8 (new & sealed), $3 for both
PSX Digimon World (disc only)
PSX Spice World (complete)
PSX G-Police (missing manual)
PSX Ehrgeiz (missing rear insert and guts from manual), $2.50 for all
PSX Resident Evil 2 (complete)
DC Silver (complete)
DC Seaman (complete, game only), $6 for all

Posted Image
PC Alice (missing manual), $2
TI-83 Plus (x2, with guide book), $5 for all
Super Mario Bros. Wii trading cards (x4, new & sealed), $1 for all

Favorite finds from this bunch include Alice (I want to see what all the fuss is about), Silver for DC (love being able to cross another DC game off my list), and Herc's Adventures. I remember playing this game with a friend of mine way back in the day, when he rented it from Blockbuster. Great game.

This past weekend's stuff coming shortly...
Being cheap doesn't mean you have to be a liar and a thief. Have some respect for yourself.

#1288 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

XBOX Steel Battalion (complete) with controller/pedals, $12

Damn good find.

I had one that I got new at EB Games with credit . . . I figured I paid $50-60 out of pocket to get it. But I only played it a few times (found the controller to be a big, big pain to have around) and sold it off for a good profit.

I've only seen one once at a rummage sale (a year ago) . . . I got all excited until I saw they wanted $100+ for it . . . "cuz we looked 'er up on ebay."

Edited by schultzed, 20 July 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#1289 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Damn good find.

I had one that I got new at EB Games with credit . . . I figured I paid $50-60 out of pocket to get it. But I only played it a few times (found the controller to be a big, big pain to have around) and sold it off for a good profit.

I've only seen one once at a rummage sale (a year ago) . . . I got all excited until I saw they wanted $100+ for it . . . "cuz we looked 'er up on ebay."

Thanks!

It's actually my third controller so far, and second copy of the game. I now have two with blue buttons, and one with green buttons. The whole affair is taking up a ton of space, so I need to sell or trade the extras as soon as possible. I must confess I've never even tried to play it. My Xbox is almost never hooked up, and when it is, I always forget to try this thing out.
Being cheap doesn't mean you have to be a liar and a thief. Have some respect for yourself.

#1290 shadyfozzie

shadyfozzie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

If any of you that purchase the graphing calculators are willing to sell them, let me know. I am a teacher and we could always use the graphers :)