Photo
- - - - -

Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2421 replies to this topic

Poll: What types of pics would you like to see in this thread? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

What types of pics would you like to see in this thread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#2011 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

I think they have batteries in them. If you are talking about the ones that the cartridge is actually colored red, yellow, and silver, I think you did really well. I am too old for the pokemon fad, but I learned from this thread that those games are worth picking up if you see them cheap enough.

the cartridge is color red, yellow, and silver.

Anyone know the best way to clean the piki plush toy thing?

#2012 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

From what I remembered, Red and Yellow basically have the (almost) same story line, except that in Yellow, you start off with Pikachu, where as in Red, you have a choice of three starter pokemon. I never played Silver.

One thing to check out is, can the cartridge store save games? If the battery is dead on the cartridge, you won't be able to save and restore the saved game state, you can still play it though.

Yeah, i was worried about that. I could just use youtube to see how to replace battry if needed. They look in awesome shape. Debating which one to keep since Yellow and red is the same game?

anyone know if pikachu toy thing is machine wash safe and what settings to use? The pikachu looks good, but would like to clean it.

#2013 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

I was cut short by rain at 10:30, but fortunately I had some good vibes this morning as I donned my flannel--and guess what... they were actually justified. :D

1st stop: Avoided both of the "big" (and tapped out) advertised flea markets and went further down in a neighborhood where I had found a nice n64 Conker's lot before. First thing I saw was a guy with a ps2 console and n64 w/ Mario Kart inside for $40 each, yeah right, so I headed across the street.

At first I saw some gba games, an advance console, some xbox titles, nothing really super-interesting but then there's a Playing with Power Poster framed, so I ask a little more about SNES since I'm betting there's some less-than-casual collecting going on here. All this time I'm looking both ways for a nemesis to appear, but it's all clear--and here's the score!

Soul Blazer C.I. to the B (no poster) - Asking price was thirty, but I'll gladly give you $20. :hot: (so happy to be able to play this without paying tons of $$$, drool)

If that wasn't enough, there was also

Breath of Fire CIB
Actraiser 2 CIB

which had been "researched" for their cart-only prices, so there I am trying not to look like this is a crack fix and I offer $5 each--accepted.

Then there was this stuff:

(xbox) Star Wars: Jedi Outcast
Tetris 2 CIB nes
Castlevania Adventure
ps2 controller

all for $5.

Then there was all of this:

Gameboy Advance white console
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Legend
Kirby's Pinball
Link's Awakening
NBA Jam T.E.
Pokemon Pinball (gba)
Tetris

NES four way controller adaptor
Super Gameboy CIB
Super Tennis in box

Offered $15, settled on $20.

And on my way out I picked up:

(xbox) jetset radio future - $1 (Good pick, believe it or not)
TMNT 3 (nes) from the overpriced people across the street - $2

Not much else of note, except a few blocks down I saw a plastic bin filled with 80s He-Man and TMNT toys, they wanted $10 but at that point I was so hyped from my game haul and toys aren't exactly my area, though I'm sure they had $70-80 worth of stuff (part of castle grayskull, almost all of the major heroes and villains from both series, etc.)
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#2014 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:42 PM

I was cut short by rain at 10:30, but fortunately I had some good vibes this morning as I donned my flannel--and guess what... they were actually justified. :D

1st stop: Avoided both of the "big" (and tapped out) advertised flea markets and went further down in a neighborhood where I had found a nice n64 Conker's lot before. First thing I saw was a guy with a ps2 console and n64 w/ Mario Kart inside for $40 each, yeah right, so I headed across the street.

At first I saw some gba games, an advance console, some xbox titles, nothing really super-interesting but then there's a Playing with Power Poster framed, so I ask a little more about SNES since I'm betting there's some less-than-casual collecting going on here. All this time I'm looking both ways for a nemesis to appear, but it's all clear--and here's the score!

Soul Blazer C.I. to the B (no poster) - Asking price was thirty, but I'll gladly give you $20. :hot: (so happy to be able to play this without paying tons of $$$, drool)

If that wasn't enough, there was also

Breath of Fire CIB
Actraiser 2 CIB

which had been "researched" for their cart-only prices, so there I am trying not to look like this is a crack fix and I offer $5 each--accepted.

Then there was this stuff:

(xbox) Star Wars: Jedi Outcast
Tetris 2 CIB nes
Castlevania Adventure
ps2 controller

all for $5.

Then there was all of this:

Gameboy Advance white console
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Legend
Kirby's Pinball
Link's Awakening
NBA Jam T.E.
Pokemon Pinball (gba)
Tetris

NES four way controller adaptor
Super Gameboy CIB
Super Tennis in box

Offered $15, settled on $20.

And on my way out I picked up:

(xbox) jetset radio future - $1 (Good pick, believe it or not)
TMNT 3 (nes) from the overpriced people across the street - $2

Not much else of note, except a few blocks down I saw a plastic bin filled with 80s He-Man and TMNT toys, they wanted $10 but at that point I was so hyped from my game haul and toys aren't exactly my area, though I'm sure they had $70-80 worth of stuff (part of castle grayskull, almost all of the major heroes and villains from both series, etc.)

nice picks. Sorry for the dumb question, but what is CIB mean?

#2015 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Chronic Irritative Bronchitis

#2016 CAG90210

CAG90210

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

CIB = complete in box
Currently playing:
Gamecube - Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
PS3 - Skyrim
SNES - Super Mario RPG: Legends of the Seven Stars, saved file corrupted, almost towards the end too :cry:

Recently beaten:
PS3 - Uncharted 3 :applause:
CML
PSP - Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection: Final Fantasy IV

#2017 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

CIB = complete in box

Thanks. New to the yard sale/flea market thread.

Do u know anything about the Pokemon yellow, red, silver games? Are they the same games? Never played pokemon before.

Also, is pikachu plush machine wash safe? What is the best way to clean it?

#2018 CAG90210

CAG90210

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

Thanks. New to the yard sale/flea market thread.

Do u know anything about the Pokemon yellow, red, silver games? Are they the same games? Never played pokemon before.

Also, is pikachu plush machine wash safe? What is the best way to clean it?

From what I remembered, Red and Yellow basically have the (almost) same story line, except that in Yellow, you start off with Pikachu, where as in Red, you have a choice of three starter pokemon. I never played Silver.

One thing to check out is, can the cartridge store save games? If the battery is dead on the cartridge, you won't be able to save and restore the saved game state, you can still play it though.

wiki also helps
Currently playing:
PS3 - Skyrim
SNES - Super Mario RPG: Legends of the Seven Stars, saved file corrupted, almost towards the end too :cry:

Recently beaten:
CML

#2019 Neuropod

Neuropod

Because, anarchy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

Decided to keep hitting the pavement since there were a good number of sales and few repeats. Got some alright stuff. Too lazy for photos again but here it is.

* Got a set of Logitech LS21 2.1 speakers for $5
* Binder full of old Pokemon cards (some first ed., only one holo) for just $.25
* :360: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising $3
* Best find of the day: :360: Kinect Sports (sealed) for $.50!

Not many games today but that Kinect Sports will flip nicely. I saw so many $10-15 Xbox 360 games today...too rich for my blood. Also saw some guy selling tons of stuff he obviously just bought from Borders, including some of their bookshelves, at inflated prices. :roll:

#2020 FusionHype

FusionHype

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

Went to a few garage sales today and didn't have much luck. Saw mostly crappy PS1 and PS2 games. Only picked up Crash 2 for $2 lol.

CML :D
Posted Image

#2021 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

wiki also helps

Been reading wiki. Red and yellow is the same besides the starting pokemon.

I tried to use google about spotting a fake plush with no luck. i cant tell if its a real plush toy or not or how to clean it.

#2022 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

I went out for an hour and a half this morning. Could have gone longer, but had other places to be. No great gaming finds, but I did get 2 n64 controller extensions, banjo tooie, and a 360 battery shell for free. I also got a Mace Windu Force FX lightsaber. It's a little beat up, but seems to work well.

#2023 Andami

Andami

Buy Because it's on Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Use Bulbapedia or Serebii to check the differences in the games.

As for the plush, I don't see how it being real or fake will change anything. Pokemon plushes aren't really a gold mine. Post a pic and I could probably tell you if it matches an official release, though.

#2024 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

I went out for an hour and a half this morning. Could have gone longer, but had other places to be. No great gaming finds, but I did get 2 n64 controller extensions, banjo tooie, and a 360 battery shell for free. I also got a Mace Windu Force FX lightsaber. It's a little beat up, but seems to work well.

:drool: Lightsaber. Those things retail $100

#2025 willynateDgreat

willynateDgreat

2OLD2GAME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

I haven't posted all summer (children and a trip to Africa will do that), but I did make an interesting find today.

Posted Image

I only know a tiny bit about the Pocket Station, but this one is almost NIB.

Posted Image

Anyone have any idea on pricing and/or where I can sell this thing?
Posted Image

#2026 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

Use Bulbapedia or Serebii to check the differences in the games.

As for the plush, I don't see how it being real or fake will change anything. Pokemon plushes aren't really a gold mine. Post a pic and I could probably tell you if it matches an official release, though.

I wasnt going to sell the plush. I know its not rare. It was more of a collecting thing. The only plush i have is yoda from BBV and the pokemon from the yard sale. I keep trying to hit yard sales, but mostly not game related. I saw a lot at the flea market, but was priced at $10 a game :cry:

Makes me feel sad seeing how everyone here makes it looks so easy.

#2027 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

I haven't posted all summer (children and a trip to Africa will do that), but I did make an interesting find today.

Posted Image

I only know a tiny bit about the Pocket Station, but this one is almost NIB.

Posted Image

Is that for a PS1? I have never seen this before.

#2028 willynateDgreat

willynateDgreat

2OLD2GAME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Is that for a PS1? I have never seen this before.

I honestly have no idea - a PS-wiki says it was only released in Japan. I think it was Sony's answer to the Dreamcast VMU.

I picked it up for $2.
Posted Image

#2029 ex_eBay_buyer

ex_eBay_buyer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

Posted Image

On Ebay there are only ones in used condition, but they are Buy It Now and are being asked about $30. For a like New condition one like yours you could probably sell it for much more. It's hard to say though because there are no records of Completed Listings in a condition like yours (although most are selling for $20 - $30 used). I'd say you did pretty well though. :D
Yard-Saleing is a SPORT.

#2030 Daw19yoyo

Daw19yoyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:30 PM

Ok for today.

Got a PS1 Carrying case. $2 Pretty sweet.
Helped out a fellow gamer trying to sell BO.
got some movies free.
Best of all.....

FREE SHAQ-FUING NUNCHUCKS!!!!

Also one of the movies is Shaq Kazim.

:whee:

The story for the BO kid is that he was selling BO for $2o, but it sometimes worked and sometimes did not. He said the disc was "cracked" a little, I could not see the crack but whatever. I told him,after his mom said that Microcenter did some CD fixing thing(Not sure what she said) That he should go there. It made me feel better. (Plus I only had $3):D
Your new riddle of the day...year.... Forever?:
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could Chuck Norris?
All of it.

(lol) Its a Spaceship!

Dawness:
adjective
1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers, multiplied by ∞. :whee:

#2031 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

No other games were found today besides what i posted :cry:

#2032 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

A quick shout out to my yard sale buds!

I picked up a Nascar 2003 today . . . I would've had no idea of its value if not for this community.

Thanks to all.

Damn, a Pocketstation . . . how cool.

#2033 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

On Ebay there are only ones in used condition, but they are Buy It Now and are being asked about $30. For a like New condition one like yours you could probably sell it for much more. It's hard to say though because there are no records of Completed Listings in a condition like yours (although most are selling for $20 - $30 used). I'd say you did pretty well though. :D

I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't Monster Rancher 2 supposed to be compatible with the Pocketstation? It could be one of those things that might sell better if paired up with the right games :!:

#2034 CAG90210

CAG90210

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

I wonder why that Nascar 2003 PC version is so valued.
Currently playing:
PS3 - Skyrim

Recently beaten:
CML

#2035 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

I wonder why that Nascar 2003 PC version is so valued.

Can anyone explain why it is so valued? Was it a limited run?

#2036 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

So i been reading the yard sale/flea market thread. Everyone here be finding some epic deals. Anyway, i went to 4 yard sales and 1 flea market. Man, most people are not really selling video games :cry:

At a yard sale, i got a Pikachu and a grey GBA sp case both for $1. I remember back then that people had counterfeit, so im not sure if this pikachu is or not. The tag has a copyright 1995-2009. The grey SP case had a UMD disc of XXX state of the union.

Fleat Market: People selling 360 games for $10 a piece and ps2 games for $5 that was old common titles. I say a guy with a box. He had a NES gun, 2 controllers, 2 Sega CD. He beat me to a N64 black console with all the cables and came in a n64 case for $15. I wasnt really looking for that, but was looking for a Gameboy:cry: I picked up 3 Gameboy games (not sure. Is it call gameboy color?) Pokemon Yellow pikachu edition, Pokemon Red, and Pokemon Silver. I know nothing about these games, but got all 3 for $2.

Remember, this is my first yard sale/ flea market purchase. Please give feedback of how i did. Did i paid too much for all this stuff? Im still trying to learn the CAG way of finding and getting the best deals. Did I overpaid for any of this stuff?

You should not have a problem if you put the pikachu plush in the washing machine, just make sure it doesn't have any electronics inside. Obviously don't put a plush with electronics into the washer, that would be bad.

As I recently learned you have to really watch with Xbox 360 games, a lot of games have multiple editions, and some editions are worthless. Some games are pretty cheap at Gamestop too so you want to check there as well. Most Xbox 360 games you see at sales will probably not be worth $10 each. The original oblivion would be worthless for example since the GOTY and 5th anniversary editions are out and both contain extra content on the discs that the original edition does not contain. If you purchased the original oblivion it would probably be cheaper to purchase the GOTY edition again just to get the extra content that is on the discs. Mass effect has a platinum hits version out that has an extra disc with more content on it too, so you wouldn't want to be buying the original version of that. Dragon Age origins ultimate edition and Mass Effect 2 have DLC codes in them that you would miss out on if you bought the games used. You don't want to buy the original dragon age origins since the ultimate edition is out that also contains a DLC code for mass effect 2 not to mention the ultimate edition contains a ton of DLC on the disc that would cost you in the live marketplace.

Obviously if you want to play the game then you want to get the edition with the most content on the disc (the most complete edition) so you don't have to download stuff from the live marketplace since DLC is insanely expensive on there. This assumes you want to play the most complete edition of your chosen game for the least cost to you.

Hopefully I haven't confused anyone here, its really tough to remember all of this even for me. Thankfully I have a decent mind for remembering things.

#2037 GoldFly

GoldFly

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:41 AM

Long day of yard sales today.

Games:

Pulled up to a sale pretty early and could see an NES from my car so I was excited. Walked up to find it's console only (no wires either) with Yoshi inside. Lady said someone came earlier and took all the stuff that went with it :cry:. Seems whoever got there first forgot one of the most important rules of yard sales: always look inside the console. Got Yoshi for $1.

Monster Rancher was at the same sale as the DVDs and was $1. DVDs were $2 each. That Kevin James one is hard to come by so that and Monster Rancher made my money back for the day.

$5 for everything. This was at the last sale of the day and somehow my most regretted purchase of the day. Everything looks like someone wiped their ass with it. I have no use for anything but one copy of Tetris and the little plastic cases. I love how comical the Game Boy looks with the accessories attached though.

Other Stuff:

Joni Mitchell Live album - $1
Bobby Orr - $1
Wyoming license plate - $0.50

I know it's hard to see with the reflection of the flash, but the license plate looks pretty cool. Also grabbed a case for my iPod for $1. A couple free CDs. Missed out on a Genesis that sold right before I got there for $5 and apparently a bunch of games that went hours earlier.

#2038 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

You should not have a problem if you put the pikachu plush in the washing machine, just make sure it doesn't have any electronics inside. Obviously don't put a plush with electronics into the washer, that would be bad.

As I recently learned you have to really watch with Xbox 360 games, a lot of games have multiple editions, and some editions are worthless. Some games are pretty cheap at Gamestop too so you want to check there as well. Most Xbox 360 games you see at sales will probably not be worth $10 each. The original oblivion would be worthless for example since the GOTY and 5th anniversary editions are out and both contain extra content on the discs that the original edition does not contain. If you purchased the original oblivion it would probably be cheaper to purchase the GOTY edition again just to get the extra content that is on the discs. Mass effect has a platinum hits version out that has an extra disc with more content on it too, so you wouldn't want to be buying the original version of that. Dragon Age origins ultimate edition and Mass Effect 2 have DLC codes in them that you would miss out on if you bought the games used. You don't want to buy the original dragon age origins since the ultimate edition is out that also contains a DLC code for mass effect 2 not to mention the ultimate edition contains a ton of DLC on the disc that would cost you in the live marketplace.

Obviously if you want to play the game then you want to get the edition with the most content on the disc (the most complete edition) so you don't have to download stuff from the live marketplace since DLC is insanely expensive on there. This assumes you want to play the most complete edition of your chosen game for the least cost to you.

Hopefully I haven't confused anyone here, its really tough to remember all of this even for me. Thankfully I have a decent mind for remembering things.

the pikachu seems like its real. It has the copyright 1995-2009, game freak.
The gameboy games i got today for $2 is able to save. Now i have to debate which one to keep. I never play pokemon before, so which one should i keep since they are all the same game?

Thanks Sara for the info. It was fun running to 4 yard sales and 1 flea market since it was my first game finding. just wish i had better knowledge and epic findings like what others here been getting.

I did see a GI Joe board game, but it was beaten up. Anyone know which board games are rare? I also saw limited edition star wars monopoly, but it was missing the bass coins and figures. I had only the board and money

#2039 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:13 AM

Can anyone explain why it is so valued? Was it a limited run?

My understanding is that it is the last year that Sierra had the license to produce a NASCAR game. There is a huge community updating stats and customizing paint jobs and sticker layouts on cars to keep them current.

Basically, there are newer games in that genre, but there are not better games.

For the record, I haven't ever played it, but I have sold 2 separate copies.

#2040 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

the pikachu seems like its real. It has the copyright 1995-2009, game freak.
The gameboy games i got today for $2 is able to save. Now i have to debate which one to keep. I never play pokemon before, so which one should i keep since they are all the same game?

Thanks Sara for the info. It was fun running to 4 yard sales and 1 flea market since it was my first game finding. just wish i had better knowledge and epic findings like what others here been getting.

I did see a GI Joe board game, but it was beaten up. Anyone know which board games are rare? I also saw limited edition star wars monopoly, but it was missing the bass coins and figures. I had only the board and money

It's usually a better gamble to pick up board games if they're sealed, very little chance of pieces being missing that way. If they're open you have to really know what you're doing (i.e. Axis and Allies = good, many Scene It games = not so good). You might be able to get a feel for it checking your local Good Will; many of the sealed overstock games will often wind up there. Conversely many of the board games which you'll see for $50-60 at the local comics shop just might retain their value better.