"Rare" PS2 Games?

gamefreak

CAGiversary!
What are some of the rare PS2 games? Most rare games are pretty good and I need some more ideas for Xmas =D

Already have Gitaroo Man and Suikoden 3. Asking for Rez...

Suikoden 3 isn't really rare, a lot of people just made the assumption "Well, Suikoden I and II are pretty rare, so I guess III must be." In fact the only PS2 game I would consider remotely rare is Rez, which you can still find new for $50 if you look hard enough.

Suikoden III was a rare game after its release for about a year when it became sold out and OOP, the game went for $80+ on eBay when it was Out of Print. Konami said they weren't making more, but somehow they did a re-issue of the game sometime last year and the value went back down to normal. I held on to my copy though :)

Rez for PS2 is semi rare, its difficult to find. Thats the only one I can think of. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (while not so much rare) is a great overlooked title that a lot of people probably haven't played.

fatal frame is such an awesome game.........and with part 2 comming out soon, I'm sure that demand for it will go up. I still see this go used for $35-40.

Luckily i got Gitaroo-Man last year for only 30 bucks.You know i rented Sky Gunner when it first came out and i liked it.Only problem i had was it was hard.I mean i can beat the levels its only its impossible for me to get 1st place above your allies.

Gitaroo-Man is not a Konami game, it's by Koei and yes it is fairly rare since it had a very limited print. Suikoden III went out of print very fast, although maybe it was reprinted if the previous poster is correct.

I can't think of many others right now besides those already mentioned.

Jade Cocoon and Drakan are far from rare. Any Wal-Mart has them. Usually for $7.99-9.99.

Klonoa 2 is very rare.

I beleive Disgaea, and Magic Pengel are low runs too.

yeah.........drakan is pretty common, but again a pretty soild game.........like a midieval tomb raider..i got mine used at eb games for $9.99.

the only rare game mentioned so far has been disgaea. all the other games mentioned so far i can find new and used in one day. i don't know why people still think rez is rare. my walmart and and a best buy have a gazillion copies still. not to mention the few i see here and there at other places. it might've been rare at first, but they did a reprint and that game is way easy to find. i can still find new copies of suikoden 3. circuity city and toys r us have abundant copies of them. gitaroo man isn't rare but it is a harder game to find.

[quote name='pukemon']...i don't know why people still think rez is rare. my walmart and and a best buy have a gazillion copies still...[/quote]

Where is this? Oh, and how much are they charging?

[quote name='drone8888']Jade Cocoon and Drakan are far from rare. Any Wal-Mart has them. Usually for $7.99-9.99.

Klonoa 2 is very rare.

I beleive Disgaea, and Magic Pengel are low runs too.[/quote]

I saw a few copies of Magic Pengel at Toys 'R Us yesterday for 40 bucks.

Well, it all depends on where you live really. It took days upon days of calling stores to find Drakan, then I finally found an EBGames about 10 miles from me that had it for $30.

As for Jade Cocoon 2, I never really sat down and called stores to find it, however wherever I went I NEVER saw it until one day I went to a Castco which had an enormous amount of games (the aisle was FILLED), and just one copy of Jade Cocoon 2, which despite being pretty busted up (you could tell it was there a while), I still got. Maybe it's just my area, but almost all the games you guys mentioned are extremely hard to find. Probably just a higher demand here, who knows.

Yeah. My Toys R Us has Jade Cocoon 2 for $20. Suikoden III couldn't possibly be considered rare. It's very easy to find. TRU has it for $30. I see Rez alot, and the Bouncer is very easy to find. They always have Gitaroo Man and SkyGunner at my GameStop, and I even see Ring of Red alot (at CC right now...). I don't see how you could possibly think Disgaea is rare. It's only about 2 months old!! As far as I can tell, it's selling quite well, especially for a Strategy RPG. Not rare at all. Try again in 5 years. The only one of these games that might be tough to find is Klonoa 2, but you can always get ahold of it for about $30 on Ebay or EBGames. Be careful not to confuse high price with rarity.

Hmmm... is Klonoa 2 any good? They have 4+ copies at two Gamestops near me... $25 used and then I can grab another game and get one free. Worth it?

Gradius III and IV aren't rare, but it is hard to trek down a new copy.

I honestly don't think any domestic PS2 games is all that rare. I have been able to find every 'rare' game either new or used at Blockbusters, EB, Gamestop or mom&pop game stores. Heck, I found Gitaroo man for $20 at CC.

People saying REZ is not rare are are going to make me cry :whistle2:(

It is only common in a very few regions. Most places it is long ago sold out. No one sells it onlien for a good price. All the major retail Web sites sell it for $50 or not at all.

The last time I saw a copy in Richmond, VA was in the Spring, there were three at only one Circuit City at $49.95 a pop. Went looking for them 3 months later, and they were long gone.

None of the game stores around here hhave even seen it, all 3 of our Circuit Citys are sold out , both of our Best Buys, all 4 of our Target's. I have checked 3 of our 4 Walmarts. I have not checked Sears, though I imagine it unlikely. Toys R Us. KB Toys, KB ToyWorks. Did I leave anything out?

U can't even find a used copy in this town.

There are a few sections of the country with more than their fair share, but the rest of the country is BARREN... like the Sahara desert.

Rez is like Intelligent Qube on the PS1--sure u can find it, but unless u are lucky to find it in a major retailer being clearanced out, u will pay a premium.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo for PS1 has onlly recently dropped down to the $30-35 dollar range now that it is also on the GBA.

BTW - Intelligent Qube US/NTSC version still pulls over $50 on eBay. Rez will be one of those games as well, even when the next gen comes out, especially now that UGA is gone.

[quote name='donssword']People saying REZ is not rare are are going to make me cry :whistle2:(

It is only common in a very few regions. Most places it is long ago sold out. No one sells it onlien for a good price. All the major retail Web sites sell it for $50 or not at all.

The last time I saw a copy in Richmond, VA was in the Spring, there were three at only one Circuit City at $49.95 a pop. Went looking for them 3 months later, and they were long gone.

None of the game stores around here hhave even seen it, all 3 of our Circuit Citys are sold out , both of our Best Buys, all 4 of our Target's. I have checked 3 of our 4 Walmarts. I have not checked Sears, though I imagine it unlikely. Toys R Us. KB Toys, KB ToyWorks. Did I leave anything out?

U can't even find a used copy in this town.

There are a few sections of the country with more than their fair share, but the rest of the country is BARREN... like the Sahara desert.[/quote]

Ain't that the truth. That's exactly why I thought it was rare. It's NOWHERE around here...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Klonoa 2 is fantastic. I'd get it if I were you. Of course...I'm assuming you like 2D gameplay goodness? You should... 8)[/quote]

Let's just say Klonoa on the GBA owns you and your crazy little flying weezle monkey pets. Ya, good stuff :lol:

[quote name='evilmax17']Man I'm trying to track down that Gitaroo man at CC, but i haven't been lucky. how many did they have when u went?[/quote]

At least 3 or 4. :)

They got Magic Pengel at my local XChange for 29.99. Disgaea is not rare, I see it at EB, Gamespot, Target, Circuit City...it's not rare. I think Gitaroo-man is just a hard game to find....fortunately I got the last copy at CC for 20 bucks....but who knows they might have been more hidden some where.

Disgaea and Magic Pengel, had a limited pressing.

If I can backtrack the site, I'll list it.

There were only 30000 MP, and 50000 Dis.

REZ is rare. If it is so abundant, why don't you buy them for all of us looking for it. Since its old, we'll give you $20 a pop.........

right.

Anyway, Klonoa 2 is really good, for its time. It is very pale in comparison to more recent attempts at this genre. I wish I didn't return mine.

That song from the first and second level is always getting stirred up in my head.

Suikoden III is terrible anyway. I wouldn't buy it unless I found one for $5. Rare or not.

Sky Gunner is very unpopular. I still have mine sealed, after returning my other copy, cause it sucked so much.
The controls blow, along with the graphics.
A good idea, but lacking in many places. I got my second copy for $7, during my BXs clearance sale. I hope it becomes rare, cause I'll never touch that monstrosity.

I didn't like Suikoden 3 at all. Good thing I traded it for Ico on a IGN board :D .

Klonoa 2 on the other hand rocks. It's one of my favorite PS2 games. I highly reccomend it.

Methinks Disagea might be rare someday. I don't know why, I just get a feeling it will.

Yes, for Christ's sake--someone please pick up some of those friggin REZ disks u say are so abundant and offer them in a 3 day private auction on eBay to CAG forum members for a fair (but of course cheap) price.

[quote name='Firebrand']I'm with donssword. I failed to take advantage of the deal I scouted.[/quote]

I 100% agree. I have scoured Richmond several times over recently, following reports on this board, and the game just is not here.

I say private auction - that way risk in minimized. Add the auction fees to a fair bidding price, but keep the price fair. As CAG's we shoudld recognize that we don't want to pay retail list or ebay high prices - so $30 or so sound best to me, $35 to cover cheapasspostage and auctions fees.

Just start a new thread here, givning like 3 days for people to add their name to the post. Then collect their emails to let them know when the auction starts, set-up the auction, we bid, you take a finders fee, bidders pay fees and shipping, and we all walk away happy.

Bidders get games, seller gets a fair fee for his time.

The trouble is figuring a good max price.

Just b/c Rez is not too hard to find doesn't mean you can always find a deal on it.

I know 1 CC has Rez, and I have seen multiple Gamestop has Rez brand new for $39.99. It might be hard to find in your area, but generally speaking, I have had luck with this title. In fact, I bought it used at Blockbusters for $12.49 :)

I'm well familiar with the Disgaea rarity issue, having had to make many phone calls, visit eight stores, and finally go to another state to get my copy a mere two weeks after its release.

However, I may have discovered the secret as to why this game is so hard to find

Today, at Circuit City, while digging through the racks for penny games,I found two copies of Disgaea -- IN THE XBOX SECTION!

Not only were they in the wrong section, they were towards the bottom of the rack ,within inches of the floor, where no one would ever see them who wasn't a certified cheapass digging for penny games.

Sometimes, I don't know whether to laugh or cry that I have such skills ;-)

Hehe...eight stores! You go, Minx! :)
Anyone interested in Fatal Frame, I have seen multiple copies at my local Sam's Club for $20. Of course you have to be a member or know someone who is. Somebody mentioned Ring of Red, I have seen these at KB Toys for $20 as well. I still would like to get my hands on RAD, cheaply of course ;)

[quote name='bfg9k']Hehe...eight stores! You go, Minx! :)
Anyone interested in Fatal Frame, I have seen multiple copies at my local Sam's Club for $20. Of course you have to be a member or know someone who is. Somebody mentioned Ring of Red, I have seen these at KB Toys for $20 as well. I still would like to get my hands on RAD, cheaply of course ;)[/quote]\

And that would be where?

Locations please...

Around here in Los Angeles, it would have to be RAD (robot Alchemic Drive), REZ, Fatal Frame and Gitaroo Man, I tried looking for them all, came out with zlinch, supposedly theres a used copy of REZ up in Torrance.......about 40 miles away....hmmm

I used to have magic pangel because the drawing part is very interesting, but after playing it for a while i hate it soooo much. Other than drawing, I don't think any game can be simpler than that. Simple game doesn't mean boring, but it is simple AND boring.
BTW, what about Disaster Report? how is the game and is it rare?

disgaea hasn't been out all that long yet, so it's not that rare at this point, I've even seen a copy at best buy over the weekend

Give that game a little bit of time though and it should be up there with the hardest games to find for the ps2

I saw Disaster Report for $20 at bestBuy this morning and a few copies of Dissgaea there to going for $40 each. about like 2 or 3 copies left of each

ring of red as i heard is a kinda hard to find game, but very common in my city of houston.
I saw many copies of it for 2.99 at sears but didn't care for it.

bread's done
Back