CAGcast #224: Favorites of 2010

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]As you might guess from the title, we talk about our favorite (and not so favorite) games of 2010.

[podcast]133[/podcast]
Download - 116 minutes, 70MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed you guys. I just have a question, did any of you get to play Raskulls? That game was released on the 29th there for its still under 2010, but many websites ignored it because it was during their holiday break. I have to say that is by far my favorite game of the year. I played it with my little brother and Girlfriend and they loved it, the story is very adorable, funny and age appropriate, something you guys as parents should check out. Also Mass effect 2 was awesome.

Hey Wombat,

You know what happened to those kids in Limbo? You killed em! Remember the section with with the three rammers on the ceiling? You lured the kids into those, running away from them.

greetings

Cheapy, in answer to your Rock Band 3 question when you go to All Instruments Mode the vocals are at the setting you last had them at. So if you played a song beforehand on Hard with half the game vocals and the vocalist, that's where it'll be. If you go directly to All Instruments Mode, then it'll use the default game settings, which is majority game vocals and a little bit of the person with the microphone and I believe on medium difficulty.

Just Listened to the CAGcast awesome show guys! I enjoyed listening to find out your favorite games and least favorite games of 2010. Shipwreck I have claimed the code for Qlione 2 and 1 thanks for giving out the code very appreciate it.

[quote name='bardockkun']Cheapy, in answer to your Rock Band 3 question when you go to All Instruments Mode the vocals are at the setting you last had them at. So if you played a song beforehand on Hard with half the game vocals and the vocalist, that's where it'll be. If you go directly to All Instruments Mode, then it'll use the default game settings, which is majority game vocals and a little bit of the person with the microphone and I believe on medium difficulty.[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling that was the case. Unfortunately, I figured it out long after New Year's Eve. Stupid drinking clouded my judgment.

Hey Cheapy, I thought you said this new podcast was 2 hours, It'w only 1:56:11 according to iTunes so that means that after the intro and outro , It's about 1:50 or so , WTF?
Thanks though!

[quote name='NegativeZero']Hey Cheapy, I thought you said this new podcast was 2 hours, It'w only 1:56:11 according to iTunes so that means that after the intro and outro , It's about 1:50 or so , WTF?
Thanks though![/QUOTE]

The intro & outro are approximately 1 minute combined. Also, I had to edit out 5 minutes of a Wombat racist tirade.

I'm still disappointed you guys didn't give ComicJumper a chance. Sure, the game was basically a simple twin stick shooter... but you guys didn't write off Metro 2033 for its gameplay deficiencies. Comic Jumper is all about the comedy. Star's constant hassassment of Captain Smiley... a supervillain named Brad... doing a dance to send a unicorn to heaven (in fact, the whole "what the hell is going on here" aspect of the manga level is great.... just really wish those levels were in color.)... the theme songs: even the stats screen has its own hilarious song. It's a really enjoyable game. Plus all the unlockable stuff... I wore that silly Captain Smiley head on my avatar for months. I found it to be a much better value than Limbo. I hope they come out with more episodes for the game.

Wow, I really sucked up to that game right there.

Well, anyway, good show.

Comic Jumper is one of the 2010 games I haven't gotten around to yet. I think I picked it up when it was on sale for $10.

[quote name='meager']I'm still disappointed you guys didn't give ComicJumper a chance. Sure, the game was basically a simple twin stick shooter... but you guys didn't write off Metro 2033 for its gameplay deficiencies. Comic Jumper is all about the comedy. Star's constant hassassment of Captain Smiley... a supervillain named Brad... doing a dance to send a unicorn to heaven (in fact, the whole "what the hell is going on here" aspect of the manga level is great.... just really wish those levels were in color.)... the theme songs: even the stats screen has its own hilarious song. It's a really enjoyable game. Plus all the unlockable stuff... I wore that silly Captain Smiley head on my avatar for months. I found it to be a much better value than Limbo. I hope they come out with more episodes for the game.

Wow, I really sucked up to that game right there.

Well, anyway, good show.[/QUOTE]

nerds.png

Was watching Simpsons yesterday and noticed the nerd character reminds me of Wombat.

What have I been playing all this time on my computer if Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Metro 2033 are Xbox 360 exclusives?

Naw I'm just messin' with ya.

You guys should definitely axe the console specific favorite games. The only person that seems to give real love to all the consoles is Shipwreck so there's really no point. Also, with so many great games being multiplatform there is no real reason to be console specific. Perhaps if anything you can have a top 3 console exclusives next year? Where you don't have don't necessarily have to name one for each console, they just have to be exclusive to one console.

Maybe a fellow CAG can help me out here...

Raptor - the game tracking website/app/whatever was brought up quite a bit during the podcast, but I can find absolutely nothing about it on the web. Is it Mac only or something? Can anyone provide a link? I love the idea of a site that can track the amount of time I play specific games.

[quote name='Falion']Maybe a fellow CAG can help me out here...

Raptor - the game tracking website/app/whatever was brought up quite a bit during the podcast, but I can find absolutely nothing about it on the web. Is it Mac only or something? Can anyone provide a link? I love the idea of a site that can track the amount of time I play specific games.[/QUOTE]

raptr.com , enjoy!

[quote name='Wombat']raptr.com , enjoy![/QUOTE]
The "o" made all the difference. :D

Thanks so much!

Just as you might want to play Fable 3 before Fable 2, or play Fallout New Vegas before Fallout 3, I should have listened to this CAGcast before the other GOTY podcasts.

Because shipwreck is the only one that really plays enough games, the exhaustive list of various categories is too much. It'd be too much for me, too. I play enough games to pick my 10 favorites, but that's about it. All the subcategories don't really work.

Cheapy and wombat are great to listen to as regular gamers. But regular gamers can't realistically have such specific favorites; they just don't play enough to justify any decisions.

I think a more general discussion of favorite games would be more meaningful than the small little categories that are discussed here. It doesn't make sense for Cheapy to have a favorite DS or Wii game, so I'm glad he didn't really try. And if Wombat has to think that hard on the PSP category, it's probably not needed, either.

All in all, it just seems a little forced to have all the detailed categories when, instead, just top 5 or 10 favorites and ensuing discussion would have sufficed.

Props to Cheapy for recognizing Daredevil: The Director's Cut as a good movie. It really is much better than the theatrical cut. If you like comic book movies you should really give Daredevil another chance and check it out. It is pretty cheap.

@Wombat- Kingpin has always been a large man, however he isn't really fat, and is no where near Jabba the hut's level. With opinion's of the movie aside Michael Clarke Duncan completely fit the role of the Kingpin IMO.

[quote name='Gamehead']Props to Cheapy for recognizing Daredevil: The Director's Cut as a good movie. It really is much better than the theatrical cut. If you like comic book movies you should really give Daredevil another chance and check it out. It is pretty cheap.

@Wombat- Kingpin has always been a large man, however he isn't really fat, and is no where near Jabba the hut's level. With opinion's of the movie aside Michael Clarke Duncan completely fit the role of the Kingpin IMO.[/QUOTE]

At least three times as wide as MCD, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingpin_(comics). I know it's not actually "fat" but no one wants me to over talk the Kingpin on the show.

[quote name='Wombat']At least three times as wide as MCD, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingpin_(comics). I know it's not actually "fat" but no one wants me to over talk the Kingpin on the show.[/QUOTE]

True True, but I don't think it would be possible to have the Kingpin any larger and not have him look ridiculous like the Blob in the Wolverine Movie.

Yup, DD Director's Cut is great. WAY better than the theatrical. They even changed some story bits which I won't spoil that made the movie better. Check it out Ship.

I need to try Metroid: Other M again. I didn't like what I played of it although I gave up after about 2 hours. I've actually had a lot of fun on the Wii this year: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns and a couple of others - and I hate my Wii.

I see you guys have kind of struggling with putting games into categories when doing the show. What if next year you do your regular platform favorites (Wii, PS3, 360, Multi, etc), and then just throw whatever wasn't mentioned into a list of "Honorable Mentions"? Sort of how like Joystiq does it.

Some of the 360 games mentioned weren't exclusives because they had PC releases. Of course, that would make the award categories even more complicated. I beat Limbo recently when it was onsale for $10, and I'm going to have to agree with Wombat and Shipwreck. Limbo felt more like an interactive art project.

another show to use as background noise while internet browsing.

you guys should also make an actual list so we can recall what games your you 2010 picks. I'm surprised there were no Monday Night Combat or Epic Mickey talks.

Found myself agreeing with a lot of cheapy's sentiments during this show.

Definitely liked Limbo a lot, but felt it was overrated. Though I'll defend it quite a bit more than a lot of other people.

Liked RDR a lot, but also grew tired of the annoying interactions with characters in cut scenes. While it was one of the better games of the year, i was pretty relieved to beat the game so i was done playing it. I also had the exact same feeling with the Undead Nightmare extra, which i got as a standalone recently.

Felt the DLC for Alan Wake added nothing to, and possibly detracted from, my overall enjoyment of the game.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']another show to use as background noise while internet browsing.

you guys should also make an actual list so we can recall what games your you 2010 picks. I'm surprised there were no Monday Night Combat or Epic Mickey talks.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for MNC but Epic Mickey was not good, IMO.

You guys still have a problem with your download picks: super meat boy is not XBLA exclusive as it is also available for windows and mac. The bigger problem is that it's hard to define a download platform exclusive since many of the games are released cross platform, but not at the same time. Just group all downloads together and specify the version you played when making your pick.

Mass Effect 2 is available on PC as well, and thus not an Xbox exclusive. Just because you guys don't play PC games doesn't mean they don't exist.

... and to those saying comic jumper was the best download game last year you are correct.

[quote name='kvadair']You guys still have a problem with your download picks: super meat boy is not XBLA exclusive as it is also available for windows and mac. The bigger problem is that it's hard to define a download platform exclusive since many of the games are released cross platform, but not at the same time. Just group all downloads together and specify the version you played when making your pick.

Mass Effect 2 is available on PC as well, and thus not an Xbox exclusive. Just because you guys don't play PC games doesn't mean they don't exist.

... and to those saying comic jumper was the best download game last year you are correct.[/QUOTE]

This.....other than that great show

I also liked A Single Man, great performances and a movie that really captured its era.

Also, like CheapyD, No Homo. :)

[quote name='Wombat']We meant say console exclusive, also get over it.[/QUOTE]

The 2011 Wombat ain't taking shit.

[quote name='The Great BM']I see you guys have kind of struggling with putting games into categories when doing the show. What if next year you do your regular platform favorites (Wii, PS3, 360, Multi, etc), and then just throw whatever wasn't mentioned into a list of "Honorable Mentions"? Sort of how like Joystiq does it.[/QUOTE]

agree. The categories were a mess and incoherent. I wouldn't even bother with any platforms as you mostly only play one. (Aside, Cheapy's Wii jokes are beyond old).

I don't really even care about "winners" either. It is far more interesting to hear what you liked and why.

Glad to hear the CAGCast.

I enjoyed the off-topic movie talk. It was a nice breakaway from the games talk. I have the DD Director's Cut and felt the pacing was a bit off. It was definitely a better DD movie, but just too long and a bit more violent than targeted audiences wanted (at that time all these movies were PG-13 and 90 mins). I'd recommend it over the regular version if you have never seen either.

Also, it seems they added Captain EO back to Epcot at DisneyWorld. Guess I should go back and check it out

I think it would be best to just pick 6-8 of your favorite games of the year regardless of the system or format. The show turned into struggling to choose games that met the convoluted categories and took away from the explanations of why each game was chosen. Just pick YOUR favorite games and explain why you enjoyed them so much. Who needs categories, this is CAG.

Hey guys, you mentioned that you have a program that keeps track of your game play time. What is that program and where can I get it?

[quote name='Clarke']What have I been playing all this time on my computer if Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Metro 2033 are Xbox 360 exclusives?

Naw I'm just messin' with ya.[/QUOTE]

lol i was thinking the same thing, having played over 100 hours of ME2 on my PC. its too bad they don't have a computer gamer on the cast in some form to bring light to the PC games that came out.

but overall a great show and I'm glad it finally came out :p

I thought Heavy Rain was a good game for one play through. PS3 didn't really have crap for exclusives last year though besides that and GOW3. GOW3 was the same old thing, which isn't bad really but I thought Heavy Rain should at least get some props for doing something different.

Oh here's the awards for next year I'll save everyone the trouble:

Favorite Multiplatform game: Mass Effect 3
Runner Up: Batman Arkham City
...err 2nd Runner Up: L.A. Noire

Favorite Xbox Exclusive: Gears 3
Runner Up: Hopefully something besides Forza

Favorite PS3 Exclusive: Uncharted 3
Runner Up: Killzone 3 (though it should have been The Last Guardian if that releases, or Infamous 2).

So there you have it.

Totally agree with cheapy about Tron...

It fucking sucked. The use of Tron the character was total garbage, the special effects were nothing to write home about, and in the end I felt like nothing had been resolved; just that...
homeboy now had a fine ass artificial ISO girlfriend.

Great to have the CAGcast back. Surprisingly, I found myself agreeing with a lot of your picks. Cool to hear you talk about Metro 2033 and Singularity, Cheapy. I played through Metro 2033 on PC and it was really an amazing experience. The PC version's incredible visuals really bring the atmosphere and setting to life. Singularity is on my Gamefly list, looking forward to checking that out.

Still can't agree with Cheapy's thoughts on Red Dead's story and characters, though. I think Rockstar is far and away the best in the business as far as narrative and dialogue. The way they were able to, in addition to moving you through a central plot, also get in lots of subtle satire and a multitude of themes regarding the modernization of the wild west and America in general is astounding to me. Not to mention the great ending. It's so rare to see a game have such a final and satisfying conclusion. A lot better than the incredibly lame
giant terminator (?)
at the end of Mass Effect 2. Easily my game of the year (in case you couldn't tell :lol:).

Still a great episode, though. Cheers to a new year for the 'cast :applause:

bread's done
Back