CAGcast #224: Favorites of 2010

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#31 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

another show to use as background noise while internet browsing.

you guys should also make an actual list so we can recall what games your you 2010 picks. I'm surprised there were no Monday Night Combat or Epic Mickey talks.

#32 cthomer5000

cthomer5000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

Found myself agreeing with a lot of cheapy's sentiments during this show.

Definitely liked Limbo a lot, but felt it was overrated. Though I'll defend it quite a bit more than a lot of other people.

Liked RDR a lot, but also grew tired of the annoying interactions with characters in cut scenes. While it was one of the better games of the year, i was pretty relieved to beat the game so i was done playing it. I also had the exact same feeling with the Undead Nightmare extra, which i got as a standalone recently.

Felt the DLC for Alan Wake added nothing to, and possibly detracted from, my overall enjoyment of the game.

#33 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

another show to use as background noise while internet browsing.

you guys should also make an actual list so we can recall what games your you 2010 picks. I'm surprised there were no Monday Night Combat or Epic Mickey talks.

I can't speak for MNC but Epic Mickey was not good, IMO.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#34 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

You should watch Angry Joe's top 32 reasons Fable 3 sucks: http://angryjoeshow....-iii/#more-8845
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#35 kvadair

kvadair

Still Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

You guys still have a problem with your download picks: super meat boy is not XBLA exclusive as it is also available for windows and mac. The bigger problem is that it's hard to define a download platform exclusive since many of the games are released cross platform, but not at the same time. Just group all downloads together and specify the version you played when making your pick.

Mass Effect 2 is available on PC as well, and thus not an Xbox exclusive. Just because you guys don't play PC games doesn't mean they don't exist.

... and to those saying comic jumper was the best download game last year you are correct.

Edited by kvadair, 07 January 2011 - 11:18 PM.

Getting it free from: PrizeRebel
Spoiler
Bing Rewards
Spoiler

Need to sync files on multiple computers? Try Dropbox.

Posted Image

#36 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

You guys still have a problem with your download picks: super meat boy is not XBLA exclusive as it is also available for windows and mac. The bigger problem is that it's hard to define a download platform exclusive since many of the games are released cross platform, but not at the same time. Just group all downloads together and specify the version you played when making your pick.

Mass Effect 2 is available on PC as well, and thus not an Xbox exclusive. Just because you guys don't play PC games doesn't mean they don't exist.

... and to those saying comic jumper was the best download game last year you are correct.

This.....other than that great show
Insert clever line here......

#37 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:21 AM

We meant say console exclusive, also get over it.

#38 aerotive

aerotive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:47 AM

I also liked A Single Man, great performances and a movie that really captured its era.

Also, like CheapyD, No Homo. :)

#39 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:49 AM

We meant say console exclusive, also get over it.

The 2011 Wombat ain't taking shit.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#40 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

I see you guys have kind of struggling with putting games into categories when doing the show. What if next year you do your regular platform favorites (Wii, PS3, 360, Multi, etc), and then just throw whatever wasn't mentioned into a list of "Honorable Mentions"? Sort of how like Joystiq does it.

agree. The categories were a mess and incoherent. I wouldn't even bother with any platforms as you mostly only play one. (Aside, Cheapy's Wii jokes are beyond old).

I don't really even care about "winners" either. It is far more interesting to hear what you liked and why.

#41 Fuzi0n

Fuzi0n

"What's a Nubian?"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

I was just at Disneyland over the holidays and they did in fact bring back Captain EO.

#42 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:25 AM

Glad to hear the CAGCast.

I enjoyed the off-topic movie talk. It was a nice breakaway from the games talk. I have the DD Director's Cut and felt the pacing was a bit off. It was definitely a better DD movie, but just too long and a bit more violent than targeted audiences wanted (at that time all these movies were PG-13 and 90 mins). I'd recommend it over the regular version if you have never seen either.

Also, it seems they added Captain EO back to Epcot at DisneyWorld. Guess I should go back and check it out

Edited by reddjoey, 08 January 2011 - 03:45 AM.

Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#43 Hiei69

Hiei69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

I think it would be best to just pick 6-8 of your favorite games of the year regardless of the system or format. The show turned into struggling to choose games that met the convoluted categories and took away from the explanations of why each game was chosen. Just pick YOUR favorite games and explain why you enjoyed them so much. Who needs categories, this is CAG.
Currently Playing: :wii: Rhythm Heaven Fever :pc: Pixel Junk Eden
:pc: Rock of Ages :pc: Skyrim :psp: Corpse Party
Rayman Origins, Lumines Electronic Symphony, and Hot Shots Golf on the Vita

#44 gollum80

gollum80

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

What have I been playing all this time on my computer if Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Metro 2033 are Xbox 360 exclusives?

Naw I'm just messin' with ya.

lol i was thinking the same thing, having played over 100 hours of ME2 on my PC. its too bad they don't have a computer gamer on the cast in some form to bring light to the PC games that came out.

but overall a great show and I'm glad it finally came out :P

#45 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

so who used the qlione code?

#46 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

I thought Heavy Rain was a good game for one play through. PS3 didn't really have crap for exclusives last year though besides that and GOW3. GOW3 was the same old thing, which isn't bad really but I thought Heavy Rain should at least get some props for doing something different.

Oh here's the awards for next year I'll save everyone the trouble:

Favorite Multiplatform game: Mass Effect 3
Runner Up: Batman Arkham City
...err 2nd Runner Up: L.A. Noire

Favorite Xbox Exclusive: Gears 3
Runner Up: Hopefully something besides Forza

Favorite PS3 Exclusive: Uncharted 3
Runner Up: Killzone 3 (though it should have been The Last Guardian if that releases, or Infamous 2).

So there you have it.

#47 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

Totally agree with cheapy about Tron...

It fucking sucked. The use of Tron the character was total garbage, the special effects were nothing to write home about, and in the end I felt like nothing had been resolved; just that...
Spoiler

#48 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

Great to have the CAGcast back. Surprisingly, I found myself agreeing with a lot of your picks. Cool to hear you talk about Metro 2033 and Singularity, Cheapy. I played through Metro 2033 on PC and it was really an amazing experience. The PC version's incredible visuals really bring the atmosphere and setting to life. Singularity is on my Gamefly list, looking forward to checking that out.

Still can't agree with Cheapy's thoughts on Red Dead's story and characters, though. I think Rockstar is far and away the best in the business as far as narrative and dialogue. The way they were able to, in addition to moving you through a central plot, also get in lots of subtle satire and a multitude of themes regarding the modernization of the wild west and America in general is astounding to me. Not to mention the great ending. It's so rare to see a game have such a final and satisfying conclusion. A lot better than the incredibly lame
Spoiler
at the end of Mass Effect 2. Easily my game of the year (in case you couldn't tell :lol:).

Still a great episode, though. Cheers to a new year for the 'cast :applause:

#49 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

Mass Effect 2 is multiplatform. It was so bizarre hitting the Xbox exclusive section, and then having Mass Effect 2 in there. Would have been nice having Xbox exclusives talked about in the Xbox exclusive category...

Just finished Giant Bomb's awards, and Mass Effect 2 won both best multi-platform game and game of the year, which I probably agree with (technically there are still a lot of games I have to get to, so there COULD be something I like better, but...)

Why not include COD BlOPS in your Playstation exclusive game of the year segment too? :lol:

And for that matter, where was the talk about the PSP and DS? Hardly anything was mentioned. You guys didn't even bring up MGS5 or Kingdom Hearts...
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#50 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hmm...regarding movies, I think Scott Pilgrim was my favorite this year, but I liked all the super hero movies that were mentioned. Daredevil (and Electra), Wolverine, etc.

Are they perfect? No, but at least they're interesting in their own rights, and aren't embarrassing. You guys seriously need to rewatch those 90's Batman films if you want to see an actual bad film. They're much, much worse than you even remember. Or the Superman films for that matter...

I didn't realize that much had been changed in Daredevil...is it worth rewatching? I wouldn't mind if I can see it on Blu Ray or whatever and it's significantly different.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#51 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

How many people need to comment on the PC thing, I thought one was enough. Just pretend when you listen to the show that you live a in world where PC games don't exist. If you have no imagination, find a new podcast.

#52 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Pinball FX 2 is free on XBLA, but it has a TON of paid DLC. So you technically can't buy it, Wombat. Also, my 130+ hours of Monster Hunter Tri holds its' chin high to your 66 hours of Mass Effect 2.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#53 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

How many people need to comment on the PC thing, I thought one was enough. Just pretend when you listen to the show that you live a in world where PC games don't exist. If you have no imagination, find a new podcast.

Posted Image'
Posted Image

#54 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

or you could grow a thicker skin.

Look, I don't listen for accuracy or knowledge. I listen because you all seem like decent dudes. But you when you act like defensive babies, you ruin that impression.

#55 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

So I rented the Daredevil Director's Cut, and it is much better than the original. The scenes added in make the film darker, reduce the importance of Elektra, and add more in of the origin and Foggy relationship, which in turn fleshes out the ultimate showdown with Kingpin. My guess is a lot of that was taken out so the focus remained on Jennifer Gardner, and why not, but the story wasn't fleshed out. Karen actually plays a someone important part in the story. This is darker, more true to the comics, and a better film. Too bad this isn't the one that was released -- I suppose they went for as large an audience as possible, and couldn't do that with an R rating, which is what we get with the added scenes.
[cp][/cp]

#56 cthomer5000

cthomer5000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Still can't agree with Cheapy's thoughts on Red Dead's story and characters, though. I think Rockstar is far and away the best in the business as far as narrative and dialogue. The way they were able to, in addition to moving you through a central plot, also get in lots of subtle satire and a multitude of themes regarding the modernization of the wild west and America in general is astounding to me.

Please point me towards any example of subtlety in the writing of that game.

#57 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

There is none, and the various awards and accolades given to Red Dead for its story by gaming magazines and websites are a indictment on the low standards of the industry when it comes to storytelling.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#58 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Red Dead was sprinkled with some story in the beginning and some story at the end. The middle 80% was nothing but John Marston getting the run around making no real head way in the story just doing favors for information and promises that were never made good on.

The production values were really good, and the story was good when it was actually making progress and I absolutely loved the end. Unfortunately though the subplots that filled a large chunk of the game were not very good.

#59 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

There is none, and the various awards and accolades given to Red Dead for its story by gaming magazines and websites are a indictment on the low standards of the industry when it comes to storytelling.

Unfortunately though the subplots that filled a large chunk of the game were not very good.

Posted Image

#60 joyce_181502

joyce_181502

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:25 AM

Wasn't there a graphic or table in past years indicating the breakdown of the categories and each person's pick?

It would be nice to see a non-audio breakdown (there was talk about the fabled Excel spreadsheet / Google Doc)