Thrift Store Thread 2011

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1563 replies to this topic

#31 darkslime

darkslime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

no, they're not owned by the same company.

#32 postaboy

postaboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

Just scored a Kinect Sensor w/ Kinect Adventures, all cables, etc. for $59.99 at Goodwill.

I was told by the employee that this was a display model at Target and if it doesn't work I can return it back for a full refund. I just tested it out and it seems like it's in working order.

Posted Image
Lakers for Life!

#33 wheels

wheels

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

i found a Sega CD console with the power adapter today for $6.99 at a goodwill. I dont know yet if it works, i need to find a game

#34 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:56 AM

nothing yet for me this year. passed on a snes controller ($4) since i just bought 10 boxed Tomee 3rd party controllers off Ebay for the SNESs i usually pick up at Goodwill. Passed on a Gamecube with no cables or controllers ($8) and bunch of sports games for nes, snes, and genesis. Id pay $60-$100 for a Kinect if I saw one at Goodwill even though I have 0 interest at $150 new.

#35 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

Are these deals found in the Goodwill, Army, or Thrift?
The reason I'm asking because I notice a new store "Thrift Store" open in my area. There is also a Goodwill store a few blocks away. Are these companies owe by the same company? (Kinda like HomeGoods,TJMaxx or Footlocker,FootAction )
I will probably go look at the new thrift store, but couldnt never find any great deals.

They are all owned by different companies. Many thrift stores are non-profit entities that exist solely to raise money for charities, those stores are where the best stuff is. Some thrift stores, on the other hand, are for-profit businesses where people just resell all the junk they pick up at auctions, yard sales, etc. Those stores will probably be devoid of any deals.

#36 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

Some thrift stores, on the other hand, are for-profit businesses where people just resell all the junk they pick up at auctions, yard sales, etc. Those stores will probably be devoid of any deals.

If you come upon a place with the word "consignment" visible anywhere, just get back in the car.

#37 postaboy

postaboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

Check for thrift stores near by you @ YELP.COM
Lakers for Life!

#38 BlueSwim

BlueSwim

Tech-Gaming.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

Stopped by Goodwill this past Saturday for their "First Saturday Of The Month" 50% off sale(they were closed on the first so they held it on the eighth) and had a great haul. Everything below was $1.50 each.

---Dreamcast---
Ultimate Fighting Championship(Complete - Manual Appears Water-Damaged)
NFL Blitz 2001(Complete)
Coaster Works(Missing Manual)

---CD's---
Fuel's "Something Like Human"
Dan Siegel's "Clairvoyance"
Duke Ellington's "Afro-Bossa"
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=2266
Menage a 3 - It's like Archie without the bullshit.

http://www.cheapassg...&pictureid=7899
Eerie Cuties - Vampires in high school. Don't worry, no sparkling.

Posted Image
Twitter - Bitter. Spiteful. Funky.

#39 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Check every thrift store. no matter for profit or not. there are always scores to be had. I got a rare board game at a for profit that sold pretty damn well. The more you check the better the odds of scoring.

I would check every store at least once, if you find everything there is overpriced just move to the next store and don't go back to that one. Check the prices on everything because as I mentioned some stores are cheap for toys and electronics but expensive for clothing which could net you some decent deals on non clothing items. You also might want to go back when different staff is working even if you find an overpriced place (try different times) since the only reason I can explain the price fluctuation at individual thrifts is that staff price things differently. In theory a thrift that is really overpriced shouldn't last long before they start lowering prices.

Another tip is if you see one SA having a sale the others in the area are probably also having the sale, same with goodwill, so on those days you might want to plan to hit multiple thrifts for bigger savings and more finds. I have also found the thrifts to be more stocked with product on those sale days so its a good day to go.

I am not sure about consignment, usually that pertains to furniture and clothing. Unless you are looking for (probably overpriced) clothing or used furniture, then you might want to stay away.

#40 Capsuledragon

Capsuledragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

i found a Sega CD console with the power adapter today for $6.99 at a goodwill. I dont know yet if it works, i need to find a game

You could try a music cd just to see if it's working.

#41 wheels

wheels

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

great idea Capsuledragon, i'll try that

#42 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

Check for thrift stores near by you @ YELP.COM

Thanks for listing this link, it allowed me to find a local furniture thrift with some really oddball garage sale type items. Got a Planescape: Campaign Setting in box for $5, looks like a D&D precursor to Planescape: Torment on PC and has a $20ish TIV on Amazon.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#43 evanders

evanders

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

Got a white GBA for 2.99 with a case. very good condition except the kids phone number on the bottom of the game boy.

#44 Martinmz

Martinmz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

I picked up epic mickey for 25 dollars today.

#45 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for listing this link, it allowed me to find a local furniture thrift with some really oddball garage sale type items. Got a Planescape: Campaign Setting in box for $5, looks like a D&D precursor to Planescape: Torment on PC and has a $20ish TIV on Amazon.

I found one of those at a flea market last year for $10 and I think I was able to sell it on eBay for ~$50. I wouldn't bother trading it into Amazon, I'm pretty sure you can get a lot more elsewhere unless you just need a quick buck.

#46 MangoMelon

MangoMelon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

I got a jvc x'eye for 25 bucks, they had it on the shelf with a bunch dvd players.

#47 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:24 AM

I found one of those at a flea market last year for $10 and I think I was able to sell it on eBay for ~$50. I wouldn't bother trading it into Amazon, I'm pretty sure you can get a lot more elsewhere unless you just need a quick buck.

You're probably right, but with the sales rank up at one million I'm going to take the quick buck on this one.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#48 Capsuledragon

Capsuledragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

I got a jvc x'eye for 25 bucks, they had it on the shelf with a bunch dvd players.

Thats a fucken steal! :cold: I payed $150 for my boxed one. you could easily flip that system for $90.

#49 chefgamer

chefgamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

at good will i found what i think is a complete set of the twilight zone on vhs the ones from the cbs library that where released in the late 80s its total of 29 tapes i paid $16 for them all

#50 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:14 AM

Apparently someone dropped their retro collection off at my Goodwill. Unfortunately it was about 95% throwaway games, I did snag some good stuff, though:

Ninja Gaiden II (NES)
Ducktales (NES)
TMNT: The Arcade Game (NES)
Joe & Mac (SNES)
Shadowrun (Genesis)

All were $2.00 each.

I left about 30 other games behind, the vast majority of them being licensed titles from LJN (and those are never very good, although I rented their Wolverine game several billion times as a kid).

On top of that I also picked up:

Microsoft Train Simulator (PC) Complete In Box for $2.00

#51 Kid Fresh

Kid Fresh

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

Went to the goodwill while waiting for a friend to finish some errands and didn't see much but as I was leaving I saw a bag with a GBA in it and upon closer inspection it had a bunch of pokemon games with it! Got everything for $14.99 (the gba needed a new battery but started right up and the screen is mint!) so pokemon red, silver, emerald, and leaf green. (and kingdom hearts). Also if anyone knows what the grey thing is (it plugs into the gba and has a slot for gba games and ds games on it) let me know!Posted Image

#52 smilewinner

smilewinner

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

Went to the goodwill while waiting for a friend to finish some errands and didn't see much but as I was leaving I saw a bag with a GBA in it and upon closer inspection it had a bunch of pokemon games with it! Got everything for $14.99 (the gba needed a new battery but started right up and the screen is mint!) so pokemon red, silver, emerald, and leaf green. (and kingdom hearts). Also if anyone knows what the grey thing is (it plugs into the gba and has a slot for gba games and ds games on it) let me know!

They gray thing is an action replay for the DS. I used to have one but it broke haha.

#53 Kid Fresh

Kid Fresh

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:14 AM

ah thanks! It had no name or anything on it so i was confused. If you want mine I'll send it to you for a couple bucks (for shipping) or something just pm me

#54 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:25 AM

The one thrift store by me that I found some good shit at a couple of times is either closed for good or the people running it didn't come in to open it today due to the snow/ice storm last night.:cry:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#55 lude21

lude21

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Finally found something at the new Goodwill that opened by my house-

Taiko drum master bundle for PS2 (SEALED) $14.99.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Finally found something at the new Goodwill that opened by my house-

Taiko drum master bundle for PS2 (SEALED) $14.99.

Nice. It's $20 used, but I have no idea how much it is new.

#57 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

Had a few good finds today.

First we went to the Goodwill Outlet (pay by the pound) and unfortunately, the video game competition has gotten pretty fierce. A find here or there is about it, thanks to one of the other fellow resellers having an insider telling them what bin the games are going to be in at changeover. Bitch always heads straight for a particular bin and yanks out a box of video game stuff. But anyways....

I did manage to score a few pairs of brand new Nike Air Jordan Retros ($100+ shoes) for about a buck a pair. We also managed to find a complete and working Imaginext "Spike the Ultra Dinosaur" ($150+) for a few bucks.

Went to a regular Goodwill and picked up Digimon Worlds (PSX) and Monster Rancher (PSX) both complete for $3 each.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#58 wheels

wheels

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

Posted Image
I had a great score today, found Bust A Groove for the PS1 for $1.99, complete and in pretty good condition

#59 postaboy

postaboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:33 AM

Posted Image
I had a great score today, found Bust A Groove for the PS1 for $1.99, complete and in pretty good condition

Nice!
Lakers for Life!

#60 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:21 AM

How the hell did you manage to find Wily Wars at a thrift store?!